Create Account

S69 PT #5: Everyone's a Critic February 26th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Please pick ONE prompt to write about. Do not mix and match prompts. Identify the prompt you are using in your submission - Copying and pasting the prompt will deduct from your word count so if you do this make sure YOUR submission is 150+ words excluding the prompt.

PLAYER PROMPT - It's the morning after a real stinker of a game where your team got blown out 7-1. You're already feeling like junk about it when you turn on the TV and see local hockey journalists blasting you for your poor performance!  

Written Task: Tell me how your player deals with negative attention from fans or journalists! Do you get in fights on Twitter? Ignore it all? Prove them wrong with your play? Do you say or do anything when you have to face a reporter that said something bad about you in a media scrum? Does this kind of thing get to your player, or is it just part of the job? (150+ words)

Graphic Task: Show me your player lashing out at mean reporters in a post game media scrum. Include speech bubbles so we know what they're saying!

HOCKEY PROMPT - Once again I bring to you a question about hockey culture at large!   

Written Task:  How do you feel about hockey's social media culture? Specifically with regards to top players in the world. A common complaint is that the NHL does not have the star power of a league like the NBA, and that the players are much more boring. Do you think this ties in to social media, and the unwillingness many players to engage beyond the officially sanctioned opportunities? Is it unrelated? If so, how do you think the league should go about making their stars more marketable and exciting? Does it even matter? (150+ words)

Graphic Task: Show me what a typical Instagram post from your player might look like. Include their caption and/or hashtags!

You will receive 3 TPE for fulfilling all requirements.

All responses are due on Sunday, February 26th at 11:59 PST. NOTE: IF YOU SUBMIT/EDIT AFTER THE DEADLINE YOU WILL RECEIVE REDUCED/NO TPE.

Affiliate claims from either PBE or ISFL or WSLB or SSL are accepted; link directly to your post and note if your username is different there.

If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded. The graders reserve the right to determine malicious intent, after discussion with me. You will not be warned.

This task is for SHL players and send downs only, it is not for SMJHL rookies.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=663a63f4&is=66391274&hm=70...8f89c3f46&]

PT pass

[Image: jay2233.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @High Stick King and @Maxy for the sigs!

Raptors Argonauts 
[Image: m59RPb7.png][Image: FcWmVTl.png]

HOCKEY PROMPT (GRAPHIC)

Vik is very boring, so he doesn't help in terms of making the case that hockey players aren't boring. But he's a happy boring dude and that's what counts.

[Image: TPR8PT3.png]

[Image: loreoh.gif]
[Image: eP8F2Ne.png][Image: xm4idGe.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png][Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]

Player task:

William Salming is not angry if somebody writes negatively about him. Why? Because he knows when he has played badly so he deserves it. Journalists are not your friends. They need to tell the truth to readers and if someone plays badly, it is their task to write about it honestly. However, Salming appreciates journalists who understand the game and different roles on the ice. If someone writes something that is not true for example about tactics or responsibilities on the defensive zone, then Salming gets angry but still he keeps it inside of him and doesn't mention it in the media scrum after games. Most important thing for Salming is self-respect and to play well, you have to be honest for yourself. That's why negative writing is not problem for William because he has usually already thought about things by himself before reading about other's comments from the newspaper or social media. So yeah, William Salming is professional with the media.

[Image: salming.png]

Hockey prompt

I feel like NHL has way less merchandise to advertise opposed to NBA. In basketball sneaker culture is very high and go to the extent that NBA star players have contracts with the major sneaker supplies as well as their own pair if not a line of sneakers. So what should the NHL do to in this situation? They are probably powerless because the hype behind some Erik Karlsson's line of hockey equipment/apparel for example does not go as far as in the NBA for their basketball apparel.

Most of the issue lies in the professionalism that NHL has over NBA. I'm not saying that the NBA is an unprofessional league, dont get me wrong but the behaviour of the players in both leagues cannot be compared to eachother - maybe in press conferences, but other than that there is no comparable aspect. If someone slams a massive dunk over another basketball player, everybody loses their mind and its seen on the bench as well as in the stands - but if someone lands a massive hit on the ice against other hockey player, only the crowd loses their mind in entertainment.

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]

PLAYER PROMPT

Sir Devoir personally does not usually pay attention to negative media attention as he understands that it is all just a part of the game. Many reporters and fans have seen how hard it can be to get some anger out of him, as he is usually respectful and calm no matter what. However, the only thing that may be able to get him angry is whenever a media person decides to bring up his family during a media scrum, as he is very much a very private pokemon when it comes to all of that. One time when he was answering questions after an embarrassing blowout, one reporter stepped out of line and asked him if any of his family is the reason why he was not doing well on the ice.

Sir Devoir wanted to get extremely angry at that question, but managed to keep calm and just told the reporter that his family will not impact his play in any way, and that it was overstepping to bring them up like that.

[Image: wfm-sig.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

Honestly I think that social media is a complete crock of shit at the best of times. Very little good comes from it and on the flip side there is a lot of negativity and people posting vitriol while hiding behind the keyboard. Add on top of that the complete waste oxygen that is influencer culture I honestly do not blame sports players that decide to hand over their socials to a public relations company. I do not think that sports stars should be expected to have their whole lives on show. You don't expect the CEO of a company to be constantly interacting with people on twitter or Instagram and for me it is no different to top level sports players. I guess it is "good" for their branding and financial opportunities after retirement but nowadays you see a lot of young players get caught up in the hype, money and social culture rather than knuckling down and reaching the potential that got them to where they are.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

Code:
Tell me how your player deals with negative attention from fans or journalists! Do you get in fights on Twitter? Ignore it all? Prove them wrong with your play? Do you say or do anything when you have to face a reporter that said something bad about you in a media scrum? Does this kind of thing get to your player, or is it just part of the job? (150+ words)

Another rough game, a 7-1 blowout.  Strom knew at this point deep in his career that there would be games like this.  As the television was turned on the next day to see the media storm about him being the washed up starter for the Dragons, he took it with a grain of salt.  Negative media sells.  It has always been that way and in hockey it is not any different.  One thing he does do, which is something an old coach taught him, was to watch the highlights...even the bad ones.  Studying them and seeing what the other team did to score on him, even if he was just having a bad night, would give him ammunition and knowledge upon the next game or next series.  Knowing where your weaknesses are in the crease and learning how to improve them is all part of the game, and knowledge is power.

Code:
Player Prompt: 269 words

-----

"Yeah, I mean, I can't sit here and say that it doesn't at least get to me a little bit, but I think if it didn't get to me a little bit then I wouldn't have the competitive drive to be here. It's all part of the game, you know, especially as a young guy--you're gonna have games that you wish you could play over and where your play was undeniably dogs--t and the media guys and the fans are gonna let you have it. That comes with the territory. I think a lot of it is just being able to separate yourself from the folks who are going at your throat and making it personal and being able to reckon with the fact that that's sort of just the world that we live in now as far as being the media guys goes. You know, you could be the person responsible for two goals in a 7-1 blowout but a headline like 'Fiorentini makes mistakes, adds to a lopsided score' doesn't move papers or generate clicks, right? It's 'Fiorentini's blunder costs Seattle, is he the vaunted prospect we thought he was?' That's the s--t that generates clicks. I don't blame any of them for it, that's their gig, that's the way that sports media is now. So, you know, yeah, you just sort of need to be able to separate yourself from it, take the criticism from people you know are coming at you in good faith and just try to make the next game a good one."

-- Benson Fiorentini, from the February 12th episode of Port Side

[Image: MvfRxO2.png]
sigs by me bitch

HOCKEY PROMPT

The fact that the prompt asks about social media specifically makes things tougher for me. I actively avoid social medias especially when it comes to anything opinion related as, especially with regards to sport, I don't care for others' opinions as they often do not align with my own (god forbid anyone gives color commentary on goaltending). My care is first and foremost on the game being played, I don't particularly care for personalities nor the players beyond the field of play and I feel like everything else is extra.

I have heard this point made many times, but it sounds like it is in the minority for now, but I understand the motivations. If it ever becomes the majority opinion, I do feel like I fall strictly in the category that argues that it is the sport and gameplay that matters, personalities are effectively irrelevant to the enjoyment of the game.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2023, 12:19 PM by JamesT. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:
Written Task: How do you feel about hockey's social media culture? Specifically with regards to top players in the world. A common complaint is that the NHL does not have the star power of a league like the NBA, and that the players are much more boring. Do you think this ties in to social media, and the unwillingness many players to engage beyond the officially sanctioned opportunities? Is it unrelated? If so, how do you think the league should go about making their stars more marketable and exciting? Does it even matter? (150+ words)

In today's world of hockey it is quite known that the culture and celebrity status isn't quite on par with the other sports as the NBA, NFL or MLB.

Things are slowly starting to change with young stars like Trevor Zegras and Jack Hughes showing more personality, but most of the players in the league still have that old school mentality of not showing much personality. I think almost every team requires their players to arrive to games in a full suit, whereas in the NBA we see players arriving to the arena in whatever they want. It would be awesome to see how players dress typically and to show off more of their own flair and brand as well.

The NHL is a business at the end of the day and if they want to be on par with the other top sports in NA, they will need their top stars and the league to allow more freedom and personality on how they act (to a degree of course).

(170 words)

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 

To deal with this negative attention, Bean tries to stay focused on his game and not let it affect his performance. He knows that he is a valuable asset to his team, and he cannot let the taunts and jeers of others get the best of him. Instead, he uses this negative attention as motivation to work even harder and prove his doubters wrong. Bean tries not to engage with the negativity directly. He does not respond to negative comments on social media or engage in trash-talking with opposing players. Instead, he remains respectful and professional, knowing that his actions on and off the ice represent not only himself but also his team and their fans. Bean also seeks support from his teammates and coaches. Basically, Bean deals with negative attention by staying focused, using it as motivation, remaining respectful, and seeking support from his team. By doing so, he is able to perform at his best and contribute to his team's success.

[Image: geRnYPO.png][Image: 0S9kFQ6.png]
Shout out Ragnarr for these two amazing sigs

My player doesn't spend too much time on social media but has been known to get into some dust ups with journalists over his short career.  The writers always seem to find things to nit pick in his game rather than give him his due.  Despite leading the team in goals, they ask why he's not scoring more or having more assists.  Why isn't the power play scoring more?  It never seems to stop.  My player has started to just take the Marshawn Lynch approach by just answering with, 'I'm just here so I don't get fined' to every question that comes his way.  It really drives the writers crazy which I know gives my player a lot of satisfaction.  The fact is, nothing they say or do is going to affect our play on the ice.  We are just out there trying to win every game we can and that's what matters.  The rest is just noise getting in the way.

[Image: kpALfz6.jpg]
Gritty McGritterson Player Page
Gritty McGritterson Update Page

S53 Four Star Cup Champion- Detroit Falcons
S56 Challenge Cup Champion - Hamilton Steelhawks
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2023, 02:02 PM by teztify. Edited 1 time in total.)

Player Prompt

Tummy Hurts, the always hungry Newfoundland Berserkers goaltender, is a fan favorite on the ice - and in the kitchen. His incredible athleticism and skill have earned him numerous accolades and a dedicated following of fans. However, despite his successes, Tummy has faced his fair share of criticism in the media and online, for both his play and his physique. As a high-profile athlete, he is constantly under scrutiny and faces a criticism from fans and journalists. So, how does Tummy deal with the pressure and negativity that comes with the job?

As Tummy is a food lover, he finds that cooking and experimenting in the kitchen is a great way to unwind and relax after a tough game or practice. He often shares his culinary creations on social media, which has earned him a following of foodies and hockey fans alike. Tummy does sometimes find it difficult when faced with criticism online, as it is so direct and personal. Tummy has thought about deactivating his social media accounts, but then how would he follow his favourite chefs and food youtubers? Instead, when things get really bad, Tummy resorts to stress eating and ordering Uber Eats. The worst for Tummy is dealing with negative comments about his taste in food. Tummy prides himself on his culinary interests, and has made it a staple of his personality. He is still working on ways to deal with this type of negativity.

Something happened on the day he died. Spirit rose a metre and stepped aside.
Somebody else took his place, and bravely cried. I’m a blackstar, I’m a blackstar.

[Image: Wooly.gif]

a bottomless curse, a bottomless sea, source of all greatness, all things that be.

Player Prompt
If there is one thing Bastien knows it's to not feed the trolls unless you manage to shut them up in a witty and creative way. Bastien would mostly stay away from social media but work on the ice in order to shut his detractors up. When it comes to media scrums, however, the response from a foul-mouth reporter would depend on the mood Bastien is in. He could go Tortorella on a guy on a bad day or he could reply in a professional manner on a good day. It's all part of the job, Bastien knows this but he's a human being with emotions and sometimes they just can't be kept in which can lead him to lash out in retaliation. But he knows that the best way to shut negativity is by producing on the ice by putting pucks in the net or feeding a teammate that will score and help the team win like that.