Create Account

S69 PT #5: Everyone's a Critic February 26th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

I think team social medias are honestly carrying all of the weight. I think the complaint that the NHL doesnt really have star personalities is a founded complaint but part of that is on the fans themselves. Look at Elias Pettersson for example. When he first got to Vancouver and was starting to break out, in his personal time he committed to trying to have a personality, a brand if you will. The moment his production slumped a number of fans jumped on him claiming that he should be training instead of posting on instagram. Those exact same fans still complain that there isnt personality in the sport. Now back to my original claim, that team social media managers are pulling all the weight. Its coming to the point where fans wait for certain teams to post. While thats not exactly being showcased in the NHL, its being shown in bounds in the AHL and CHL. Team accounts dunking on haters and calling out bigots, doing what they can to showcase the players that they see every day to make the team more exciting and draw in new fans, and honestly making/keeping some teams relevant in the minds of fans.

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

pt pass

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

[Image: I0HD6RZ.png]

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

Now, I think we need to preface this with the facts. Ben Waters, of course, does not have haters. He is the world's best player, and even Kevin, whose girlfriend Waters stole back in 8th-grade math class, can respect this objective fact. That being said, in a hypothetical situation where Waters did have haters, he would simply outduel them in the Twittersphere easily. Waters has lightning fingers. He is one of the world's fastest typists, and he uses this to his advantage to simply out-argue his opponents with sheer volume. Any hater knows that they say one bad thing about Waters and it's lights out with ratios and the Ls. They will take many of them. If a reporter said something to Waters? They wouldn't dare, because they're scared of him, but hypothetically, he would simply tell them "the hockey speaks for itself" and tear up the rink as he's done his entire career. That's the Ben Waters experience.

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page

tommy westbrook is a man of faith and has good intentions and strong mental fortitue to block out all the not valid hate he gets for playing a silly little game called hockey that is flawed in many ways. so usually whenever tommy gets hate he likes to go online and tag them directly, the hater of course, and usually likes to say hey man how about we talking this out one on one but in the eye of the public. tommy finds that this is the most healthy way to deal with all the hate he gets thrown at him at the end of every game he plays on the ice of his hamilton team. anyways he yells at them on twitter while avoiding saying anything bad because that will get him banned. this is often met with very bad opionons of tommy but hes out there playing a game and he does not care about the hate.

[Image: TommyWestbrook.jpg]
[Image: UznKCpb.png]

In order to make it to this level, Sean Davies has been his own biggest critic. He hates when he plays poorly, so obviously the negative media would eat at him. With that said, he isn't going to go get in arguments on social media or snap at reporters. He's going to get his rear to the gym and get back on the grind. The only way to shut the haters up is to nut up and play well, and the best way to do that is through practice. He'll stay off social media for a bit to clear his head, and respond evasively yet calmy when criticized by reporters. The way he sees it, there are good days and bad days, and when the bad days come around you just gotta pick yourself up by the bootstraps and get through it. No reason to take it out on others. Just get better and get ready for the next day.

I think that today's current hockey and social media based culture is not one that is sustainable for people in the long run. The health of an individual is very much hampered as we look upon the top players in the world with reckless abandon and solely focus on them as almost pixels on the screen instead of physical people right there in front of us. Like they're actual people despite us having our differences and yet we treat them like dirt. Yeah the National Hockey League does not have the star power of the National Basketball Association nor of the National Football League or even Major League Baseball, but I do not think I would say that it is because our players are boring. I think it is more because hockey is a very homogeneous sport with a very visible core group of people that make it up, which results in very little potential difference between people.

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

PLAYER PROMPT - It's the morning after a real stinker of a game where your team got blown out 7-1. You're already feeling like junk about it when you turn on the TV and see local hockey journalists blasting you for your poor performance!

Written Task: Tell me how your player deals with negative attention from fans or journalists! Do you get in fights on Twitter? Ignore it all? Prove them wrong with your play? Do you say or do anything when you have to face a reporter that said something bad about you in a media scrum? Does this kind of thing get to your player, or is it just part of the job? (150+ words)

For the most part, Grogu is his own biggest critic. He knows full well when he's played a good game or a bad one. So if there is criticism from the media about a performance that he knows is accurate, he won't say too much but will keep his head down and just work to get out of the funk. Even though he is arguably the greatest player ever to put on a Dragons uniform, this does not mean he should be immune from hearing about it if he has a bad game. However, he will always defend his teammates to the press, and talk about the good things players are doing if he feels they are receiving overly negative commentary from the media guys. If it starts getting too bad, he just uses his Jedi powers to force choke any reporters until they shut up! Nobody is perfect all the time, so it's ok to point out mistakes or flaws, but if it starts getting too much, then Grogu has no problem to talk to the media off the record to correct them. But, of course, the best way to stick it up the behind of your critics is just to go out and prove them wrong, and Grogu is confident that he is more consistently going to have good games than bad, and doesn't let the griping get him down.

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies     S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK     Grizzlies

Written Task:

Social Media, and personality in hockey is well known for being pretty bland. I don't think that it is really a problem to be quite honest. There are so many players on a team, and constant line changes makes it hard to really follow a player throughout a game anyways. I don't think the league can really do anything about it, if were talking about the NHL. Players are going to do what they want, and you can highlight players who welcome the attention more for sure, but I think some small things that could really help is provide more engaging content on the media side. Not interviews, more looking at how the players play. More focus on specific player-centric things, like how a player does something, following a player throughout a game, maybe use new tech to allow people to digitally highlight or put a tracker on a chosen player through their apps or something so people can really track their favorites throughout a game without having to figure out what number someone is. Maybe allowing more personality in the uniform would be nice, i don't know. It is tricky because players all wear basically the same exact uniform from head to toe, so it can't be hard for newer fans to really figure out who is who, and most players are similar builds too.

yeah so when ever the atlanta inferno from the city of atlanta georgia in the southern portion (south eastern portion even, and some would even say the western portion @micool132 @efiug @quasi) of the united states of america get their backs blown out by another team in the simulation hockey league and binko in particular did not play a very good game during that bad game, then binko would immediately hop on his alternate twitter account and start talking about how well binko played in their blow out because of course he needs to pump his self up and make him self feel better about him self. it is really just that simple he just really wants to feel good man about him self so he makes him self feel good man. of course many other people would be doing other things in order to make them selves feel good men but not binko he does not do those things very much and in stead he just does the twitter thing to feel good man.

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

I think when it comes to the NHL. Players are more to themselves, to the team, and to the locker room. They don’t want to politicize anything, and they certainly don’t want to look like idiots. I think the general idea of Hockey players being boring is completely false. I think the social media aspect is much more about fans interacting with the team Twitter accounts. Which is fine, most huge hockey fans would much rather watch the games than see them all over a social media platform all the time. My biggest thing is they aren’t getting advertised enough to be seen. NHL has become the 5th sports league market, they might become 4th because well Baseball and the MLB are boring. MLS has advertised very well, NBA has advertised very well and part of that is the social media aspect players are getting out there but some of it has its cons. NHL doesn’t have any Kyrie Irving’s which personally I’m happy about in general. Overall I just think NHL needs to advertise themselves off a bit more.

[Image: FR-B3jfXsAAvEaW?format=png&name=small]

HOCKEY PROMPT

I think the NHL could do better when they try to market their stars. The biggest star in the league, Connor McDavid, just signed a sponsorship deal with CCM for at least ten years and he'll make as much money as LeBron makes in a week with it, that's just absurd. The NHL is lights behind the other leagues in terms of marketing and management. It doesn't help when you have old goonies like Lou Lamoriello has a GM who refuses to let his players have high numbers or have a beard. Most teams have a dress code in place, get rid of that. There's an ESPN post for every LeBron gameday fit, we get a lot for football too, but nothing for the NHL because it's way too boring. However, I don't think this burden falls solely on the NHL. Hockey culture is different than other sports. I'd say it's similar to baseball, but without the gigantic revenue. Hockey culture needs to change from top to bottom. With everything we hear about the CHL, it starts even before that. I've had M13 players be total douchebags to me when I was younger because they thought they were the kings of the world. It's that kind of thing that makes hockey marginalized.

212 words

[Image: eMf7wNV.png]

Quote:PLAYER PROMPT - It's the morning after a real stinker of a game where your team got blown out 7-1. You're already feeling like junk about it when you turn on the TV and see local hockey journalists blasting you for your poor performance!  

Written Task: Tell me how your player deals with negative attention from fans or journalists! Do you get in fights on Twitter? Ignore it all? Prove them wrong with your play? Do you say or do anything when you have to face a reporter that said something bad about you in a media scrum? Does this kind of thing get to your player, or is it just part of the job? (150+ words)

How Bnana NWaffles deals with bad games, or sinkers as it was stated, is the same as honestly any game regardless of the outcome. Don't dwell on the game and prepare for the next game, especially after a rough game losing 7-1. If NWaffles does turn on the TV after such a game and is getting berated by a local or national hockey journalist or personality, he would listen and take their criticism to learn from and not to let it get to him or under his skin. He knows if he does let it get to him it will affect him at practice or the next game and may even lash out on social media about it or that person. Always gets a chuckle when he sees players, in any sport, get angry on social media because in the end it is not worth it. He will prove to that journalist or TV personality with his play in the next game!

(162 words)

[Image: BnanaNWaffles.gif]
Sig by @Ragnar / Avatar by @leviadan
[Image: lIYTYDN.png]  [Image: qtbn8zh.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]

Hockey prompt:

The NHL social media is mostly fine but it’s often hard to see players as individuals and not their team performances. It does not help that a lot of the NHL best players seem to be private and do not enjoy showing more of their personality. It’s weird because I know McDavid is the NHL’s biggest star but I know next to nothing about him. I know I saw his house once in a GQ video and it was a lot of black and white. He just seems bland which is the exact opposite of what he is like on the ice. Despite how much I love him, Crosby had the exact same problem. He just wants to be one of the guys. I do think the NHL needs to show more of their personalities. Personally, I think it would be fine if most of it was through the team and not their own social media. I also think team rivalries really help the sport too.

I think that a certain amount of critique is valid, and to be honest, should be expected with the job. These people are paid millions of dollars to be the absolute best at a game. They are there for our entertainment. If someone is performing poorly, I think it is perfectly reasonable to be upset with them. This does not mean that it is okay to harass them or send them death threats or anything like that, but if you perform poorly at your job, you would expect to be critiqued by the people who pay you, right? Not to mention, they are in front of tens of thousands of fans in person and millions of fans on television, these players are bound to have an ego and with that ego needs to come some self knowledge. At the end of the day, even if they are being critiqued, the best way to shut someone up is to go out there and make your mark on the field/court/ice.

wc: 170

[Image: 8pRoFZH.png]