Create Account

Alexi Piastri Dropped From Team Japan? (×2 IIHF Media)
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2023, 12:34 PM by vbottas17. Edited 2 times in total.)

It appears that Nevada Battleborn / Minnesota Monarchs forward Alexi Piastri has been released from Team Japan.
Details as to what may have transpired have not been made available as there has been no press release from the Japanese IIHF team at this time. Initially there were rumors that Piastri may have been kicked off of the team for another one of his off-season "incidents".. however Piastri's camp has come out and said that there has been nothing of the nature that could have led to sanctioning by the Japanese squad. So what exactly happened here? Is the new management just not a fan of Piastri? Were they upset that he went from leading the SMJHL in goals with 60, to finishing a dissapointing 5th in goal scoring last season with only 34? Were there issues with his Visa? Was he traded to a third world country? Nobody really knows at this point but it's quite perplexing. Is it possible that the management simply forgot that he was a part of the team? Whatever the situation, it seems extremely odd that Piastri  is no longer a part of the Japanese team. Piastri was one of the most electric players in the SMJHL for four seasons, setting league records for career goals and points. He's been regarded as one of the SHL's top prospects for the past couple of seasons and is viewed as a potential favorite this season for the Jesster Trophy as the SHL's rookie of the year. Piastri's game looked at a completely different level at Monarchs training camp this season. His skating has improved, he was stick handling with ease, his shot looked deadlier than ever, and his overall game showed strong signs of improvement as well. Why would Japan decide to cut ties with a potential cornerstone player for future IIHF tournaments?

We caught up with Alexi and asked him a few questions.

Interview Alexi, Have you had any contact with Japan's IIHF team management? We're you made aware of their decision to remove you from the national team?

Piastri - I wish that I could say that I have, but the truth is that there hasn't been any communication between myself and the management team. I'm just as much in the dark about this as everyone else is. I even dropped by the locker room the other day and asked about being dropped. It's like I didn't even exist, BASE PACK was the only person who even seemed to notice that I was in there. I'm incredibly dissapointed. I feel that I've made some big improvements to my game and I was looking forward to the opportunity to showcase my skills at the international level this tournament.

Interview What does this mean for your future with Team Japan and IIFH play in general?

Piastri - I have no idea man! Is there some sort of protocol in place for situations like this? I hope that I'm not just trapped in IIHF purgatory from here on out. I thought that I had found a home with the Japanese team. My mother was born in Japan, but I really don't know right now. Am I still a part of the team? Your guess is as good as mine.

Interview You were born in Australia, So you chose to join Japan when really you could have picked any IIHF team to play for. Are you disappointed on that decision?

Piastri - I would be lying if I told you that I wasn't seriously questioning that decision right now. I had offers to play for numerous different teams, but I felt that with my heritage that I needed to play for Japan. They weren't the strongest team at the time, so I thought that I really could make an impact for the country's hockey program and bring some excitement to the national team. It hurts, I have no idea why the team would decide to get rid of me.. I thought we were just getting started here.. Hopefully my international career isn't ruined.

It will be interesting to see how this story develops from here.

** After clarification from Japan's management, it appears that Alexi will in fact remain a part of the National team and could very well be back with the squad in S70. Piastri was added to the S68 IIHF roster as a reward for his remarkable SMJHL season in which he scored a league record 60 goals. Japan simply iced the best roster possible for the S69 squad. Piastri will use his exclusion from the team as motivation to have an excellent rookie season with the Monarchs in the SHL and leave Japan's management no choice but to include him on the S70 roster.

800+ words
X2 IIHF Media

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

Popcorn

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

Spence played in Canada... just sayin!

Crazy situation after all

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

03-15-2023, 11:23 AMAnthique Wrote: Spence played in Canada... just sayin!

Crazy situation after all
Ay yo tamper? @artermis

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

Hi Alexi, as a federation head myself, perhaps I can shed some light in case you are genuinely wondering.

Alexi has 417 applied TPE with 785 total earned. Because your applied TPE is so low, you are unfortunately the odd man out. Japan has a decent amount of players to pick from. But dont worry! You will see time in the IIHF soon enough

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

03-15-2023, 11:27 AMBfine Wrote: Ay yo tamper? @artermis

Was talking about Spence, but no I just hope that he will find a way to play for is home country. But PB explain why so it will all worked out in the end for him, and will hopefully continue to bring glory to Japan, so I can face him on the ice and shred his hope!  Laughing

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

03-15-2023, 11:34 AMPremierBromanov Wrote: Hi Alexi, as a federation head myself, perhaps I can shed some light in case you are genuinely wondering.

Alexi has 417 applied TPE with 785 total earned. Because your applied TPE is so low, you are unfortunately the odd man out. Japan has a decent amount of players to pick from. But dont worry! You will see time in the IIHF soon enough

transfering someone to play them one season then dropping them for god know how long looking at japan tpe is a bit whak tho, especially without a word from the heads, but hopefully, like you said, it get resolved for them soon.

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

03-15-2023, 11:55 AMEvok Wrote: transfering someone to play them one season then dropping them for god know how long looking at japan tpe is a bit whak tho, especially without a word from the heads, but hopefully, like you said, it get resolved for them soon.

i dont really know the specifics i guess, just a semi educated guess. What do you mean by dropped? Just like, didnt play? I guess it's weird to lock in a player that way, but i guess its their prerogative if they want to make their team worse for a season just so they're locked in.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

** After clarification from Japan's management, it appears that Alexi will in fact remain a part of the National team and could very well be back with the squad in S70. Piastri was added to the S68 IIHF roster as a reward for his remarkable SMJHL season in which he scored a league record 60 goals. Japan simply iced the best roster possible for the S69 squad. Piastri will use his exclusion from the team as motivation to have an excellent rookie season with the Monarchs in the SHL and leave Japan's management no choice but to include him on the S70 roster.

Japan

japan = sussy bakas

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

03-15-2023, 11:55 AMEvok Wrote: transfering someone to play them one season then dropping them for god know how long looking at japan tpe is a bit whak tho, especially without a word from the heads, but hopefully, like you said, it get resolved for them soon.
Has he played for one season?

[Image: izzy.PNG]

mennään pojat

Reed Kobo - Winger - #33
Player Page- Update Page
Elijah Jones - Winger - #33 Retired
Player Page - Update Page
Toivo Kosonen - Defenseman - #33 Retired
Player PageUpdate Page
[Image: 2ew9foG.png][Image: rnSNsnU.png]

03-15-2023, 04:25 PMToivo Wrote: mennään pojat

mennään pojat!

03-15-2023, 12:34 PMvbottas17 Wrote: ** After clarification from Japan's management, it appears that Alexi will in fact remain a part of the National team and could very well be back with the squad in S70. Piastri was added to the S68 IIHF roster as a reward for his remarkable SMJHL season in which he scored a league record 60 goals. Japan simply iced the best roster possible for the S69 squad. Piastri will use his exclusion from the team as motivation to have an excellent rookie season with the Monarchs in the SHL and leave Japan's management no choice but to include him on the S70 roster.

Japan

[Image: f9f.png]

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]