Create Account

Passing the torch

--read on mobile for intended experience

[Image: POi5Azn.png]

VANCOUVER - As I enter to Highway 1 and turn my car towards the Penticton, my mind wonders back some twenty years to a playoff game where a young Finnish player manages to get thrown out of his first game after less than 20 seconds, all this while having control of the puck in neutral zone. At that moment I was sure that this guy would be a laughing stock for a Whalers, maybe for a season or two, before being forgotten. Yet when time for SHL draft came, Texas took him with late second round pick.

Still not everyone drafted makes it to the roster and with not much to show in his two seasons as Whaler signs for success definitely were not there. Or so we though, they were just well hidden for most to see. First surprise was to see this young guy jump into Texas roster just after two seasons in SMJHL, though as they were tanking at the time it wasn’t hurting them.

But why are these stories relevant now? Well, as unexpected as was his rise to SHL, more than a few were surprised when he moved back to rural BC after his long career down south. Now he is spending some of his time to coaching the next generation of Finns that might one day be ready to take it to the SMJHL or even SHL. I was privileged to be invited to this years camp that he holds to some of most talented Mestaruussarja juniors and as he hasn’t been talking to media these recent years it was an unique opportunity to take a look at past, and to the future.

[Image: w9N7K8l.png]

PENTICTON - As I arrive at Penticton Memorial Arena Björn Leppänen walks out to greet me at the front doors. He seems happier, or more exited than I remember, older too but that is to be expected. “We are just getting back to ice after lunch and some lessons. As important it is to show these guys the right things on ice, they also need to learn lot about right kind of training and diet, important stuff that young guys that feel like they are doing well enough easily forget. Looking back to my SHL draft I think it was my mentality that was holding me back, my skills and physicality were up to the level expected but my temperament left lot of questions, in the end I’m happy that Texas took the shot with me, we had some great years with that group.” As he explains we head to the lockerroom where I meet few guys still changing up, I get quick word with Panu Tyrsky, defenseman from Turun Kiekkotoverit and Vesa Palokärkinen, as he himself would put it, a natural left winger from Oulun Ahmat, both seem to struggle with the English but I gather that they are very exited to be here.

[Image: HVnAtbJ.png]
From left Kimmo Muuri, Panu Tyrsky and Vesa Palokärkinen

“´These guys came here five days ago as their season in Finland had concluded recently. I feel like I can already see some improvement in them, and in my own coaching too, this being only the second time I run a camp like this. After my career was over I felt like I wanted to give opportunities for bit less fortunate but talented players that might miss out on expensive camps, thus I struck a deal with all Mestaruussarja teams and they each get to pick a junior they think aligns with my vision and get to send them here.” Björn explains as he puts his skates on. “I'm already well past my prime but I can show them flashes of what it takes to play at SHL level and I definitely can show them the amount and type of work it takes to turn that dream into reality.”

[Image: g8mdXKL.png]

He takes on ice with juniors, all maybe season or two from potentially entering the SMJHL draft. Kimmo Muuri from Jiikoo takes his position on goal and as Björn gives quick explanation what they try out next before passing puck to Nico Nyman, center from HBK who takes huge slapshot towards goal but misses by a foot at least. Teemu Litmanen, playing on right wing for Espoon Jazz takes on place of Björn and they start passing around before Litmanen buries a shot on blocker side of Muuri.

As that is happening Björn guides Pasi-Anssi Peliautomaatti, who plays for Lahden Lokit and half of the group to other end and they start rotating around taking shots at both ends. As guys get hang of things Björn gets back to me. “Many underestimate the amount of work and repeats you need to do to make it to the top, like these guys sure know how to shoot but there is always room for improvement, if you are able to shoot from any angle or position you can become incredible asset to any team. When I was young I wasn’t offensive player and can’t say that ever was my priority but I still managed to score over 500 points in SHL so when you are good enough opponents can never count you out”

[Image: Rvu3Isx.png]
From left Nico Nyman, Pasi-Anssi Peliautomaatti and Teemu Litmanen

Then he leaves and goes back to guys. I get good first impression out of the group, all seem eager to learn anything that Leppänen can show to them. Specially Sakari Risti, young defenceman from Tampereen Kirves, seems to prefer similar playstyle that Björn was known for. I later got to confirm that he Björn is someone he looked up to as kid, and still does.

But trip across the ocean isn’t all just for hard work. As Björn prepares to leave ice with they guys he gets back to me “As important it is to experience the work I think showing them what they are actually dreaming of is great motivation too. I wasn’t ready for spotlight when I moved to big league, and I doubt anyone really is, but I think if nothing else these guys will remember how it looks when some of the best in the world give all on the ice.”

“In the end my dream was always just to make it to the SHL and I really thought that was going to be just that, a dream. But then making it to the team, bonding with the guys and having older players there to help me finally reach the next level when it came to playing, that is something you never forget.” Björn explains as youngsters are heading to locker. “And let me tell you, even when we improved our regular season performance, we only managed to win single playoffs game during first 3 seasons we made it to the playoffs. That if anything can be demoralizing, you start to wonder what is wrong, what we should change. But we worked as a team, kept pushing. We never gave up and believed in ourselves.”

[Image: NET8GUJ.png]
From left Sakari Risti, Jani Mänty and Keijo Kekkonen

“Season 58 was really the breakthrough for us, winning President’s trophy and then making it to game seven of conference finals. Guys like Kvalheim, Kekkonen, Wachter all close to their peak, it was great team effort and then winning the cup with these guys before expansion took few of them from us, Im pretty sure I will always remember that feeling. But time to leave past to where it belongs and focus on future.” He finishes as he steps into the changing room.

While I wait outside for most of the group I get to talk a bit with Jani Mänty, center from Iisalmen Pelikarhut and Keijo Kekkonen, a right winger from Helsingin Pellet, both seem to have been enjoying the camp but feel like Björn's defensive playstyle isn’t great fit to their preferenced playstyle, but still respect his experience and think that he has been given up pretty good advices, still they are absolutely thrilled as we are about to take a plane to Calgary to see Dragons and Blizzard face each other in heated playoffs game.

[Image: zOtkY9L.jpg]

CALGARY - As we sit on plane young defencemen from Karpa introduce themselves as Jari Karpaasi, he is bit nervous about flying so he keeps himself occupied by talking about his great great grandpa who moved to Minnesota like century ago, but it seems that he is sure that ISFL player is related to him.

On our way to the Calgary I got to talk with Björn some more. “When I moved here from Finland I really fell in love with the place, or I mean Vancouver, but still. Yet I moved soon enough to states and all the way to Texas and while playing there was great it didn’t take even a year for me to find myself back in Canada as I was no longer needed in Texas and couldn’t really stand most of it. I had saved some from my salaries and taken part on some business on the side so I was able to comfortably move here and keep living a lifestyle I want.” Him explaining this makes sense as we are using a private yet to fly us to Calgary.

“Of course going back to Finland could have always been an option, maybe following in footsteps of my father any trying out coaching there. Even going as far and taking over the Rauman Jätkät like he did, but following that route I would really only got to meet Arto Panttila out of all these great guys, not taking anything away from him, he is great young left winger, true sniper, one of better ones I have seen considering his age.” He explains as we move from airport to a taxi that takes us to the arena.

I can see that whole group is very exited, even Björn, as we get into the arena and find our seating in a box. Watching SHL hockey, specially during playoffs, is unique experience for these guys, that is bit too easy for many of us to take for granted, despite the increased prices in recent years.

[Image: OVFb3hG.png]
From left Arto Panttila, Iivo Sivaltaja and Jari Karpaasi

“There was always bit of a soft spot for Edmonton in me, despite a pretty devastating playoffs experience versus them early on. I guess it is mix of branding and knowing some of their players, or like guys that used to play for them when I was still active, from my Whalers days.” Björn explains to me while we attend the game. In general for most of the day he seemed very eager to talk which felt completely out of character for him.

With goal of Alex Kirby and Grogu Mandosson Dragons win the game 2-1 and extend their lead of series to 3-1. Iivo Sivaltaja, a defenceman from Porin Avain, who appears to be huge fan of #A-Rye Izzy seems extremely happy to see team he has been fan for most of his life to beat down their rival.

There is no question whether these young players will still need time to develop, Peliautomaatti, Karpaasi and Nyman migh have least of work left and even though what I saw would make me hesitant to call any of them good enough for SMJHL and even less to SHL, yet, I need to remind whom they are here with. Most did not expect anything from Björn Leppänen, me included, yet his career of over 1000 SHL games, two Challenge cups and two IIHF golds are not something that everyone could have achieved so I’ll save my judgement for the future.

- James Jones III

[Image: 7HHIrvg.png]

Roughly 1940 words topped with badly edited photos

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

Great article and even better names.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Nice work, hope we see one of those creating soon Wink

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

WINLAND

[Image: lespoils.gif]

Welcome back Puoli!

[Image: 17307_s.gif]

StarsnorwayRenegades // PLAYER PAGE || UPDATES \\ RenegadesnorwayStars

wow, what a great read!

[Image: 4cvtDWE.jpeg]
Edmonton Blizzard Co-GM
Yukon Malamutes Hall of Fame
[Image: NwdnVLP.png][Image: fDB9MNX.png] 
[Image: 3j8MIXU.png]
Granny Panpan Count: 258

I have good feeling that maybe one of them will indeed be joining the draft (and Winland) soonish but until I have bit more time to sit down and chat on discord I'll use my time on preparing the bank account for what is to come.

05-04-2023, 10:42 PMraymond3000 Wrote: Welcome back Puoli!

Thanks, have to say that Kvalheim still keeping it up after being away for an year might be the most unexpected thing I have yet to see. Hopefully you managed to reach all the goals you wanted (and more).

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

Love to see you back mate!

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Hey good to see you back

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]