Create Account

2x DRAFT MEDIA - Spidey Draft recap
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2023, 02:23 PM by spidey. Edited 1 time in total.)

It’s everyone’s favourite time of the year! As our local SHL media expert, and unbiased draft day advisor takes a deep dive into the Season 71 SHL draft. That’s right it is time for another Spidey draft day recap, as we go through each player and give his opinion on how good of a pick it was.

This year the draft wasn’t very deep, and a lot of teams made the wrong choice. Hey what are you going to do when the talent level is only so-so. Still, I will make a fair assessment of how each pick is and how well it will turn out.

Round 1

Typically, this is where future stars are picked, those who have some of the highest expectations going into the draft and have done a lot of work to separate themselves. Unfortunately, there were only three players selected in the first round that have this kind of quality.

1. pride San Francisco Pride - Levin Schattenaxt
PHENOMENAL CHOICE, The San Fransico Pride knew from moment one who they were going to pick with this spot. There was no doubt and it was no secret, the moment they won the draft lottery everyone had in pen Levin going to the Pride. The Pride’s embarrassment of riches with young players and prospects add one of the best two way forwards this draft has to offer at a great spot. With the depth of forwards ahead of Levin, he will be given time to grow in juniors before being called up to the big leagues where all signs point to him dominating once he gets there.

2. Stars Toronto North Stars (via Barracuda) - Mercedes Baylé
Toronto North Stars had an opportunity to swing for the fences and go big, instead they decided to bunt and try to get to first base. This is a safe pick at best with a lot of risk. Not the way I would have done it. AND THEY TRADED UP TO GET HER! Tisk, tisk, tisk. Hey we all make mistakes but this is a franchise altering mistake that will come back to bite them.

3. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard (via Stars ) - Furious Chicken
ANOTHER TRADE AND….another mistake! Don’t get me wrong Furious Chicken and Edmonton Blizzard seem to be a match made in heaven. Clearly GM HFFO believes there is something here with this player, the rest of the league doesn’t. Congrats to HFFO, you got your man, just like that iffy player you picked up in the 4th round. This pick feels like the Edmonton franchise, destined for mediocrity.

4. pride San Francisco Pride (via Panthers ) - Logan Webb
San Francisco came back to the draft table and said, we need more fire power, and they got it! Logan Webb looks to have all the tools to become a premier offensive weapon in the SHL. He can skate, shoot, puckhandle and pass. He does lack a little in the defensive department, but if you are always on offense why do you need to defend? Another amazing pick for the Pride as they grow to become the future team to beat in the SHL.

5. pride San Francisco Pride (via Rage ) - Dominik Winters
The Pride come to the draft table for the 3rd time in the first 5 picks, and once again they make no mistake in their selection, grabbing a potential generational talent in Dominik Winters! As The Pride pick up another dangerous weapon for their offense. They have draft three premier forwards (Right Wing, Center, Left Wing) all in the same draft, all in the first round, give them the best training and help them grow together to become an all powerful core. Having arguably the best 3 forwards in this draft maybe the best three forward prospect ever in SHL history, The Pride have cemented everything they need to do for this year and shutdown the war room for margaritas (what else would they need to do after getting Winters!)

6. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers (via Monarchs ) - Oliver Castillon
The Los Angeles Panthers make the best of a bad situation. When you draft 6th you expect to be getting a solid franchise piece but after the best three (two of which were taken just before you) are gone. You are faced with the decision of picking up a typical 4th rounder in the first round. Oliver Castillon could become a solid SHLer to help in a depth role in the future.

7. Platoon Baltimore Platoon - Bellamy Blake
I love this pick! I really do. For a 5th rounder. Don’t let the junior award nominations fool you, once he makes the jump to the SHL he will find the stiffer competition is too much for his slight frame and weak ankles. Hopefully he doesn’t break on his way to the SHL, but even then he can’t be expected to do too much.

8. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda (via Steelhawks ) - Max Carnage
I have said it before, I will say it again. I LOVE THIS NAME! Max Carnage, obviously his Mother loved him enough as a child to give him a truly successful name. Unfortunately he will not live up to his Mother’s expectations. Tampa Bay makes a terrible mistake and wastes a first round pick on another subpar want to be star.

9. Platoon Baltimore Platoon (via Renegades ) -Jay Bryzi
Wait a minute who is this? I didn’t even know this person was playing in the SMJHL this season. Clearly don’t expect much, should be the ceiling for Jay Bryzi as the Baltimore Platoon are looking for mediocrity to keep their fans expectations low when they never win another cup.

10. Monarchs Minnesota Monarchs (via Blizzard ) - Marshall Madden
Clearly the Monarchs are embarrassed by this pick, as he is not even listed in their official prospect page at this time. Now I am not sure if General Manager Mutefaith was drunk or dared while making this pick, but here we are. Marshall Madden was not the consensus choice for spot. Honestly I figured they would have selected newly coronated King Charles at a crisp 74 years young, who would have been a better choice to press the offense.

11. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks (via Specters ) - Inactive Forever
Picking someone named Inactive Forever in the first round is playing with fire. Hamilton is taking a big risk as the walking billboard of expectation has to be low with how long this player will be around in the league. Still if he stays active he could be a steal, but all signs, and his name point to a big no, making it anther swing and a miss during this first round.

12. Platoon Baltimore Platoon (via Stampede ) - Thomas Liebold
With their 3rd pick in this draft the Baltimore Platoon once again decided to disappoint their fan base picking up a prospect expected to do less than the Canadian Dollar over the next 10 years. Thomas Liebold was expected to be drafted, but the expectations would have been much, much later.

13. Stars Toronto North Stars (via syndicate ) - Andre Latreille
I swear the Toronto North Stars have been watching a different league then the rest of us, and they are just picking names of people that look similar to those in the league they were actually watching. Andre Lateille comes in at number 13, and if you haven’t heard of him, well you are not alone. Let’s mark this pick down as needs improvement.

14. Rage Manhattan Rage (via Dragons ) - Mick Mayhem
Well if two names should ever go together it is these two, The Manhattan RAGE pick Mick MAYHEM, Rage grabbing Mayhem appear to be a naming generators match made in heaven. As for playing talent and career, well obviously a name is too good to turn down as the talent just isn’t there.

15. Stampede Buffalo Stampede (via Inferno ) - Shootin Blanks
Buffalo is clearly looking to keep the score low in the future picking up Shootin Blanks, that or they are hoping for no children in their facility. Not sure which one, we wish Blanks all the best, expectations are high in Buffalo, even if you have no hope of scoring.

16. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks (via Patriotes ) - Thomas Sawschuk
How do you spell disappointment in the first round? T-H-O-M-A-S S-A-W-S-C-H-U-K, Thomas Sawschuk. How do you spell disappointment for a prospect? H-A-M-I-L-T-O-N S-T-E-E-L-H-A-W-K-S getting drafted by Hamilton. Sorry to both of you and how fate has brought you together. Maybe two negatives will cancel out one another…I doubt it.

17. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (via Argonauts ) - Adelbert Steiner
It is like he is made of iron the Wolfpack jumped at the sturdy defender from the J. Unfortunately a piece of iron while hard to hit doesn’t really move or do anything on its own, essentially the New England Wolfpack just drafted a metal pylon.

18. Forge Philadelphia Forge - Barg Hazbite
Barg Hazbite, going to Philadelphia is an interesting choice. I mean this in worst way possible. Its like saying your favourite Star Wars movie is episode 1, while in time it has become a beloved part of our childhood, it is terrible and anyone who picks this piece of garbage as the best deserves a special place in hell…I am sorry, we wish Barg and Philly a long happy partnership together. *cough,cough* terrible choice.

19. Aurora Winnipeg Aurora - Johnny FourStar
At this point in the draft it was shocking that Winnipeg would try to pickup anyone below a 5 star rating, but they went with someone who figured FourStars would be enough. That right there cements Winnipeg’s strategies at the draft table. Go for something below great and hope for the best. Personally I would have given Johnny NoStars after his play last season.

20. Monarchs Minnesota Monarchs (via Wolfpack ) - Boho Biscuit
Monarchs are betting on Boho to eventually turn out to be a great player, that is a long way down the road, like 10 seasons down the road just as regression kicks in. I would have gone with another choice at this spot in the draft, but hey we are routing for you.

Round 2
With a disappointing first round, the second round in the books a lot of teams were looking for a bounce back in the second round to make up for drunken mistakes as they pulled random names out of a hat. But the second round turned out worse then the first. We will try to shorten our recaps as we move quickly through these picks.

21. Rage Manhattan Rage (via Stars ) - Alexej Kastrba
Abracadabra Alakazam, would have been a better choice and magical words instead of Alexej Kastrba. Rage’s name game in the second round is not strong.

22. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - Filip Svatos
The better of the Svatos brothers, but not a talented player in the SHL, another swing and a miss by Tampa.

23. syndicate Chicago Syndicate (via Panthers ) - Just-to-Buy My-Love
There is no love for this pick in Chicago, only a small riot after missing on some of the talent that could have been.

24. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers (via pride ) - Andren Akerson
Another who are you pick, as this is the first time I am even seeing this player anywhere.

25. Rage Manhattan Rage - Erik Erikson
Aren’t you inactive? Hmmm…must be your lack of training that made me think that. Seems like a Viking name, I will give it to the Rage, very Rage like name.

26. Monarchs Minnesota Monarchs - kevin kim
Ok the Monarchs hit GOLD on this pick, Kevin is a little behind others but he has been plenty active and a solid Kelowna Knight to help on offense for the Monarchs.

27. Platoon Baltimore Platoon - Ryan Quintana-Green
I should not draft him in a house, I should not draft him with a mouse, I should not draft Quintana-Green, but mistakes were made like a bad dream.

28. Rage Manhattan Rage (via Steelhawks ) - shnopple lopple
Ok the Rage are killing it on the Name game this draft! 3 out of 4 fantastic names that match the team, also 4 out of 4 terrible players, but on names alone they should sell a lot of jerseys.

29. Renegades Texas Renegades - Jordan Tanner
Holy cow, I didn’t think Texas had a team…wait this is who you pick with your first choice…dis-a-ppoint-ed *clap, clap, clapclapclap*

30. Rage Manhattan Rage (via Blizzard ) - Net Man
A very litteral name this time for the Rage…I will give it a pass for name game 4 for 5. Still hitting a massive swing and a miss on talent (did you not see his junior stats?)

31. Stars Toronto North Stars (via Specters ) - Crystal McLeod
You know for all the heck I gave Toronto for their second overall pick, this one was a potential steal in the second round. Congrats Toronto another amazing Knight was taken off the board.

32. Stampede Buffalo Stampede - Finn Weiss
Wow you know you are bad when the team drafting you can’t even get your name right. Sorry Finn Weib maybe next time.

33. Dragons Calgary Dragons (via syndicate ) - Bob Wehadababyitsaboy
Boom is new to General Managing so we will give her a pass on this pick. Next one better be spectacular.

34. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (via Dragons ) - Scary Jerry
Picking up the best rookie goalie I the second round is like reaching for the best 7th round forward and picking them in the second round. No one drafts goalies…looking at you Rage.

35. Inferno Atlanta Inferno - Bear Trapp
Were they holding the Atlanta GMs in a bear trap to make this pick this early? Because there is no way he should have been drafted so soon.

36. Forge Philadelphia Forge (via Patriotes ) - Johnny Shuffleboard
Johnny Shuffleboard belongs at an old age home with his old, aged name. There they play all the shuffleboard you can handle. On the ice he moves like a senior with two hip replacements and a bad knee.

37. Argonauts Seattle Argonauts – PASS
Finally a smart decision by someone, realizing there isn’t talent worth enough to even draft at this point Seattle decided it had a better use of there time then to hang around in the draft.

38. Stars Toronto North Stars (via Forge ) - Aumy Jr II
A solid meh, you can’t expect much from the Stars, and you can’t expect much from Aumy…maybe they are good for each other.

39. Stars Toronto North Stars (via Aurora ) - Matt Stro
Ummm, it is not often you see a team strike out twice in a row during a draft…but the North Stars and Matt Stro defy logic and pull it off.

40. pride San Francisco Pride (via Wolfpack ) PASS
Thank goodness another team has recognized there is no point to continue and backed out of the draft, all the talent is gone, let’s focus on the next season.

Round 3

With no more talent to be had, we will push through the last few rounds quickly with a NOPE parade.

41. Stars Toronto North Stars - Heem Teem
Heem is on the NOPE teem, and Toronto.

42. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - David Anderson
A NOPE and a prayer is all you get with David Anderson, maybe next off season Tampa.

43. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - Might-go IA
Might-go NOPE if I was the GM of the Panthers, another pick and another miss.

44. pride San Francisco Pride – PASS
Moving on

45. Rage Manhattan Rage - Morgan Delfield
I just can’t get NOPE respect, Morgan Dangerfield Delfield

46. Monarchs Minnesota Monarchs - Kyle Baretto
NOPE to goalies, specially when they are made of swiss cheese.

47. Platoon Baltimore Platoon - Brock Samson
Being married to Jess doesn’t give you a pass, STILL A NOPE! Platoon you are bad at this.

48. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks – PASS
Finally had enough hey?

49. Renegades Texas Renegades - Aaron Ranger
The Lone Ranger rides off to NOPE, Texas he is not a good choice.

50. Rage Manhattan Rage (via Blizzard ) - Merle Van Nistelrooy
Nope on everything, the player, the pick, even the name…DISAPPOINTED. To be fair I love the name, just not a RAGE type name. Rename yourself for bonus points. Maybe MANIAC VAN NISTERLOOY. Very Rage like now.

51. Stars Toronto North Stars (via Specters ) – PASS

52. Stampede Buffalo Stampede – PASS

53. syndicate Chicago Syndicate – PASS

54. Dragons Calgary Dragons - Larry Johnson The 3rd
Wait a minute someone is still drafting?! I gave you a pass last time this time you get a big NOPE,NOPE,NOP for Johnson the 3rd

55. Inferno Atlanta Inferno - Ally Mathieson
NOPEITY NOPE NOPE, no matte how nice Ally may or may not be.

56. Patriotes Montreal Patriotes – PASS
Montreal says who needs to draft, and made a wise choice to move on from this year.

57. Argonauts Seattle Argonauts – PASS

58. Forge Philadelphia Forge – PASS

59. Aurora Winnipeg Aurora - PASS

60. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - PASS

Round 4

Was there anyone left…really Tampa and Edmonton…

61. Stars Toronto North Stars - PASS

62. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - sillysauce mctartersauce
Silly McNope Sauce, not even for my nuggies I wouldn’t have drafted him.

63. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - PASS

64. pride San Francisco Pride - PASS

65. Rage Manhattan Rage - PASS

66. Monarchs Minnesota Monarchs - PASS

67. Platoon Baltimore Platoon - PASS

68. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - PASS

69. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard (via Renegades ) - Theodore Svatos
I know he is somewhat related to the GM, so it is a bit of a pity pick but still, NOPE wouldn’t have done it.

70. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - PASS

71. Specters New Orleans Specters - PAS

72. Stampede Buffalo Stampede - PASS

73. syndicate Chicago Syndicate - PASS

74. Dragons Calgary Dragons - PASS

75. Inferno Atlanta Inferno -PASS

76. Patriotes Montreal Patriotes - PASS

77. Argonauts Seattle Argonauts - PASS

78. Forge Philadelphia Forge - PASS

79. Aurora Winnipeg Aurora - PASS

80. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - PASS

Round 5

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL HELL TAMPA! DO I REALLY HAVE TO MAKE ANOTHER NOPE JUST FOR YOU! COULDN’T YOU HAVE JUST PICKED HIM UP IN FREE AGENCY LIKE A RESPECTFUL GM, no, I am tampa, I need to keep the draft alive as long as possible to make sure that the guys who are doing it have to really earn their money this draft day weekend. Who cares if people have families to go home to and things to do. I want to ensure every name is called. BOY OH BOY TAMPA REAL PIECE OF WORK YOU ARE.

81. Stars Toronto North Stars - PASS

82. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - crazy tomato
FINAL NOPE, SHOULDN’T HAVE EVEN BEEN NOPE. (we wish Tomato all the best during his playing career, I am routing for you) NOPE

83. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - PASS

84. pride San Francisco Pride - PASS

85. Rage Manhattan Rage - PASS

86. Monarchs Minnesota Monarchs - PASS

87. Platoon Baltimore Platoon - PASS

88. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - PASS

89. Renegades Texas Renegades - Luke Labrie

90. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - PASS

91. Specters New Orleans Spectres - PAS

92. Stampede Buffalo Stampede - PASS

93. syndicate Chicago Syndicate - PASS

94. Dragons Calgary Dragons - PASS

95. Inferno Atlanta Inferno -PASS

96. Patriotes Montreal Patriotes - PASS

97. Argonauts Seattle Argonauts - PASS

98. Forge Philadelphia Forge - PASS

99. Aurora Winnipeg Aurora - PASS

100. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - PASS

Round 6

…EVEN TAMPA STOPPED DRAFTING! HOW THE HELL DID YOU NOT HAVE A PICK IN THE 5th ROUND AND HOW THE HELL DID TEXAS MANAGE TO GET APPROVAL TO EXTEND THIS TO A 6th ROUND. JUST WASTING EVERYONE’S TIME!

101. Stars Toronto North Stars - PASS

102. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - PASS

103. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - PASS

104. pride San Francisco Pride - PASS

105. Rage Manhattan Rage - PASS

106. Monarchs Minnesota Monarchs - PASS

107. Platoon Baltimore Platoon - PASS

108. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - PASS

109. Renegades Texas Renegades - Todd Bowers
Nope, Todd, just Nope, so depressed I am still typing out player recaps at this point even if it is just a nope. Terrible Texas, just terrible.

110. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - PASS

111. Specters New Orleans Spectres - PAS

112. Stampede Buffalo Stampede - PASS

113. syndicate Chicago Syndicate - PASS

114. Dragons Calgary Dragons - PASS

115. Inferno Atlanta Inferno -PASS

116. Patriotes Montreal Patriotes - PASS

117. Argonauts Seattle Argonauts - PASS

118. Forge Philadelphia Forge - PASS

119. Aurora Winnipeg Aurora - PASS

120. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack – PASS

And with that the draft was FINALLY (looking at you Texas and Tampa) concluded. Congrats to all the draftees and their teams. Now get out there and give the league hell! We couldn’t have been prouder of the entire event.

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

None of the war room were capable of pick at 40 because the margaritas were hitting too hard. Caleb was occupied with other things of course

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

05-15-2023, 02:19 PMToast Wrote: None of the war room were capable of pick at 40 because the margaritas were hitting too hard. Caleb was occupied with other things of course

LMFAO! I knew it. And here I was invited only to the after party.

Sig by Lazyeye
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

HAHAHA I'm not even sorry! You should even thank me, your media have more word so a bigger pay for you! I almost draft somebody else in round 7 LOL

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

05-15-2023, 02:30 PMAnthique Wrote: HAHAHA I'm not even sorry! You should even thank me, your media have more word so a bigger pay for you! I almost draft somebody else in round 7 LOL

Bwhahahahah we were all laughing about that in our locker room.

Sig by Lazyeye
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2023, 04:07 PM by Dindog. Edited 1 time in total.)

rip no love for might-go, word on the street is they might be the steal of the draft

That 6 OA pick is a nepo baby. There's rumors of league officiating favoritism with him on the roster, but no one'll be able to prove anything.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!