Create Account

Getting the Call: The Curtain Call

"I asked my uncle once how I'd know when it was time to stop.  You know what he said?
The youngsters will tell you..." -- Cal Weathers
Getting The Call (Part 4):  The Curtain Call
It will be twenty seasons from when the first part of this story was written.  You can slide back in time to a different day and age by clicking here, and view parts two and three here and here if you wish.  It has, without a doubt seen its share of highs and lows but overall I don't think I have any reason to look back on this career, in my final season, with any regret or remorse.  By this time, I've elected to skip training camp as I am out setting up home and getting things lined out for what happens after this coming season ends, when there's no more pucks to stop and no more breakaways to deny.

Ironically enough, I can still remember that first time getting called up here in Winnipeg, back when we were the historic Jets franchise....
[Image: MsQNdpP.jpg]
I remember how cool it was being the first of my class to get called up.  Then I can remember how shocking it was with that first loss.  The romantic fantasy of thinking "Yeah!  I'm an SHL Goalie" being swept away by the flood of panic and epiphany that I wasn't at all ready.  It was February 1st of 2020, and we were playing Buffalo.  Cedric Robinson (@grok) was in the opposing goal and we were tied up until the end when I was pulled for an extra man.  It was a 3-2 loss.   I was already an older player at that time, 35 years old and the main starter for the Anaheim Outlaws.  With the outlaws, we would go on to win the 4-Star cup that season and my first of two Brodie Witzel trophies...the second to come when we would face off against Carolina for the cup in season fifty-four, falling short against friend and rival Frans Eller (@Ace).
Its hard to think back about one's on career, especially when you played it during what some could argue as the "golden age of goalies" in the SHL.  How do you do a self comparison when in the company of giants such as Vilde (@BarnabasCollins), Cain (@SlashACM) and Doyle (@Evok).  How do you compare performances when others flew to the moon like Jobin (@Jobin), Tegerneko  (@KlusteR) and Kavanagh (@takethehorizon)?  Or even more, being a netminder at the same time that the legendary Harry Carpet (@Carpy48) would face off against you from the other side of the ice, the GOAT himself?   Frankly, the only word I feel that can describe being able to play in these times...with these goalies is this:  Fortunate.
What is even equally as fortunate I feel as being able to play among those giants...is still being here, for one more season, among the giants of tomorrow.  The Smith's (@Matteo), the Walls (@brickwall35), the Time's (@RAmenAmen) and of course...my homer favorite, the Montagne's (@OrbitingDeath).  It truly is a privilege to have watched those players come up through the juniors and take the netminder roles and absolutely dominate them.  That role, no longer for me.  At fifty-five the fact that I'm even still on the ice is a feat itself.

While I still have some games left to play, a look back over the last twenty seasons reveals just a little bit above mediocrity:
  • 3 x McBride Nominations (1 Win)
  • 3 x All-Star Game Bids
  • 2 x IIHF Golds
  • 2 x IIHF Goalie Awards
  • 2nd Highest earning Goalie in SHL History (second to the great Luca Del Vecchio)@Zoone16
  • 5th All-Time in Wins
  • 2nd All-Time in Saves second to the GOAT: Harry Carpet
  • T-4th All-Time in Shutouts with the magnanimous Mat Smith
  • 2nd All-Time in games played, again to the GOAT:  Harry Carpet
Thanks again to the old Winnipeg front office (@Muerto) for taking a chance on me at 7th overall, to the Tampa Management (@hockeyiscool) for picking me up after Winnipeg and having one hell of a run as your starter, and then again to Calgary (@DarkCanuck29) for letting me prep your next goalie for the big show...and finally to Winnipeg again (@Ace) (@RashfordU) for giving this old man the ability to retire back at home.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Thank you, SHL.
[Image: graphic-chamberlain-1080.png]
(Thanks @sulovilen for the Graphic!)

One of the best!

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

:sdspin: Aurora

[img=0x0]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/889201044154904606/1150524829653536909/mikko.png?ex=65bff03f&is=65ad7b3f&hm=7f3229285f883239ca6017785e905ed3ff0a8b42b94f57638f43c11a5e635414&[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/4028.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5431.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5570.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7241.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5906.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/6149.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7950.png[/img]

What an absolute stud and an incredible career. You deserve a long break after all that consistent work and determination. Congrats once again on a fantastic career, one of the best!

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

I cri forever. It’s been awesome getting to be teammates with you after sharing a bazillion other servers for the past couple of years, I hope we get it done for you this season <3

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

May we forever be tied in shutouts

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]

What an absolute pleasure to play with you for USA. Great career for the legend

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]
[Image: 9tINabI.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: xc2IPJy.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wW0VNnL.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs

What a mentor, and what a career. HOF bound to be sure. Congrats Chevy!

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

Chevy <3

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

Not many goalies manage to keep their careers alive this long, especially at that age, so congrats. Was always fun playing against you, now we can both watch the young(er) ones take over.
See you at the retirement party! I hope they have steak?

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

07-14-2023, 12:50 AMCarpy48 Wrote: Not many goalies manage to keep their careers alive this long, especially at that age, so congrats. Was always fun playing against you, now we can both watch the young(er) ones take over.
See you at the retirement party! I hope they have steak?

Pete better be there. He owes us all steaks!  Haha!

Love you man Smile And thanks for your help with creating my goalie Smile

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

What an incredible career! The stats and records are great, but the number of people you've lifted up along the way (myself included) speaks volumes to how great of a leader and mentor you've been in the SHL. Congrats and best of luck in your future endeavors!

[Image: RAmenAmen.gif]
sig credit: Ragnar, Sulovilen, Enigmatic, Bayley
[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png] [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: RAmenAmenPride.gif]

We never actually got to play together, but congratulations on the career!

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

One of the best to eva do it

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM