Create Account

[2X Draft Media] Leon Rizzton Goes Coast to Coast in SMJHL Trade

11:30 PM
This article was written by Francis Sirivalli

A trade shook the simulation hockey world on Tuesday night when the Vancouver Whalers traded defenseman Leon Rizzton to the reigning SMJHL champions, the Maine Timber. The return was a third round draft pick in the Season 74 draft. 

Rizzton, who was recently drafted into the SHL by the Texas Renegades in the third round, is a defenseman who just completed his rookie season in the J. He finished 6th in the league in blocked shots, and had 22 points (2G, 20A) in 66 games in his rookie campaign. 

A few days after the news broke out, we had insider Smelliotte Friedmen talk to the traded defenseman for the inside scoop that the fans were begging for.

"That's just how the hockey business goes,” Leon Rizzton said. “Sometimes teams run out of room and need to make moves to improve their team. I understand that." 

Some have wondered if Rizzton's previous injuries could be a reason why he was the one dealt, deemed the odd man out. "Definitely not. Everything is all healed up down there. The stick is still there, of course. I’m still the Rizzler. I can't go into specifics here, but trades just happen. Teams assess their roster and stick to their plan of approach." 

Rizzton was quick to talk positively about the time he had in Vancouver, seemingly not upset over the decision to trade him. "I loved the time I had with the Whalers. They're all incredible people, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to grow with that locker room. Vancouver is a great city that I will miss, but I'm excited for what the future holds in Maine." 

He also mentioned his good friends Rocky Orwell and Ana Parast while speaking with Smelliotte. "It's a shame I'll be far away from my friends Rocky and Ana, but I hope to at least play for team USA or North America with Ol' Rocks. Plus, with Rocky being drafted into the SHL by New England, maybe I'll see him if I'm still in the J when he's called up." 

Smelliotte was surprised by how optimistic and open Rizzton was about the situation. "Have you had the time to adjust with the trade and getting familiar with your new stomping grounds?"

"Yes, I have! Everyone over with the Maine Timber have welcomed me and made me feel like I was a part of the team immediately. Like I belonged. I've heard before that they take great care of their players, and people weren't wrong about that. I'm excited for my future here and I hope I can contribute to bringing another championship to this successful franchise."

Whatever the future holds for the young defenseman, we only know it will be bright. His numbers in his rookie campaign weren’t Rookie Of The Year calibre, but they were enough to know that he will develop into a complete stud as long as he continues to put the work in. At one point in the season, he led the entire SMJHL in blocked shots. 

"So, you mentioned hoping to play for team USA or North America. How important would it be for you if you were one day selected to play for one of those teams?" Friedmen asked. 

Rizzton's eyes immediately lit up. "I would be so stoked. Being able to rep my country, or my continent, would be a great honor and experience. Competing at a world championship level is just something so different from being in the league. Not to discredit the J or the SHL, but it's a once in a lifetime thing to participate in."

Leon has great aspirations for the future, and is excited for what his second season in the J brings. Especially going to a team as successful as the Maine Timber. Going back to back is on the mind of every player in Maine Timber’s locker room, and they are hungry to bring yet another championship to Maine. 

“How exciting is it to go to a team that just won the championship?”

“Man, its extremely exciting. To have the chance to contribute on a team as good as this, it’s just awesome. But it’s also important to recognize its more about having fun than anything else in the league. Having fun AND winning a championship is just a plus to the experience.” 

“For those who are unfamiliar with your game, how do you think you’ll be able to improve this Maine Timber team and bring them another championship?” Smelliotte questioned. 

“Oh, you know, putting pucks in deep. Being aggressive on the forecheck and taking shifts one at a time. The whole team must play a full 60 minutes to win. I’m out there to play solid defense and limit as many offensive opportunities for the opponents as possible. I’m capable of putting my body on the line every night and try to make my goalies life a little easier when I’m on the ice. Anything to help the team win.” 

“So, do you consider yourself a defensive defenseman?”

“Absolutely. My goal first and foremost is to defend my teams net and to protect my goalie. Although, next season I want to improve my offense and become a more well rounded player instead of being one dimensional. I pride myself in my defense, but I understand that I need to bring more offense to the team and more physicality.” 

“Thank you Mr. Rizzton for your time.”

The S73 SMJHL season is right around the corner and we are excited for what the new season holds. New prospects are coming into the fold as other players are set to develop and improve for a shot at the big leagues. Leon Rizzton is one of many players going into their sophomore season looking to impress and show everyone what they’re capable of. Make sure to subscribe to SimNet for more articles about the SHL and follow us on all social medias @ SimNet! This is Francis Sirivalli signing off. 

(1004 words)

[Image: rizzton.png]
Leon Rizzton - Defenseman - Timber  - Sig made by KaleSalad!

The RIZZZZZZZZ
Smeliotte Freidman got me, I won't lie.

Looking forward to see what The Rizzzzzz can do in Maine! Good luck out there!

[Image: 3WSeHAA.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2023, 10:59 AM by downer.)

My dark mode. :(

[Image: downer.gif]

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]

Nice article! Love the name changes haha!

Hope we make a steal in that third round Wink

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]