Create Account

S72 PT #0: Trades, Trades, Trades

PROMPT 2:

Admittedly, I am not much of an NHL expert. Or an SHL expert for that matter. So please forgive me for just going with the easy choice and choosing the Edmonton Oilers trading Wayne Gretzky to the Los Angeles Kings. I'm going with trade for how much it burned the Oilers fan base, with the Edmonton owner at the time Peter Pocklington being described in an article as being "burned in an effigy", with the Oilers 21 phone lines just blowing up with all kinds of threats and cancelations of season tickets. A member of the Canadian Parliament triee to get the federal government to block the trade, for goodness sake!

It should be noted that Wayne asked for the trade, and in his first season with the Kings he won the Hart Thophy as the NHL's MVP for the 9th and final time. While the Kings would not win the Cup with Wayne, but he would lead them to 5 straight Playoff seasons and basically make Hockey popular in LA. The Oilers would win one more Cup in 1990 but thier dynasty would crumble without Wayne.

[Image: wfm-sig.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

Gonna go after myself for this trade, but it would be any of Edmonton’s obsession with trading first-round picks for one-year experiments. First was the Gabe Johnson trade, in which we traded a first and Johnny Shuffleboard (who was himself my first-ever draft pick as VAN co) for Gabe. This trade worked out in a season where we were just waiting for the prospects to come up and we made the West final, and in that offseason after we traded another first for Liam Slate. The team didn’t have the depth to compete past the first round and he was also gone after a year and a half. After another early exit in S63 (in which we had the one-year signing experiment of Senji Seteki), we traded another first and Zerg for Valor right after the Izzy incident, with which the team went nowhere. I’ll freely admit now that trying to add through trades when the team wasn’t at the stage of being a contender was probably a mistake trying to build off S61 and forced them to rebuild.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

PBE Affiliate

Talking real life hockey here for this one, I’m going to go back many years to the Mike Milbury years where the Islanders had a predicament. You had this hot new goalie prospect in the 2000 NHL Draft named Rick DiPietro and now you have a goaltending predicament, so what do you do? You trade your future Hall of Fame goaltender prospect in Roberto Luongo and an up and coming young forward named Olli Jokinen in exchange for two middle of the road players in Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha. Just, welcome to the nightmare that was being an Islanders fan in the 2000s. You had some semblance of a future and your awful GM trades it for two middle six forwards who are off the team in four years each. Parrish at least had one all star season for the team, whereas Kvasha had none. As for that Roberto Luongo guy, he turned out pretty okay. Just only became a Hall of Fame goaltender and dominated wherever he went. I’m going to cry now.

[Image: S38oOt3.png][Image: of1yZSs.png]
[Image: JzmdDrE.png]

The most outrageous trade in my mind was Eric Lindros trade to Philly for 7 players and 15mil. This was the time I started to pay attention and watch NHL hockey and basically whats going around teams offices and Philly had quite sympatic roster, so I never saw a trade like this coming. Sure, he did have couple productive but is really trading away half of teams core worth it? I don't think so.. Peter Forsberg alone was really a first liner for any team, not to mention Ricci, Hextall and Duchesne as key players for any contenders. I guess they really wanted Eric so they just was ready to give anyone. I wonder did they do any bargaining at all, cus there is no way this was the worst Philly could offer, although I do not know which team was the inicators of the deal. After this trade I did fade from Philly and didn't have any favorite teams till the latvians was getting in the league.

170 words.

Rage Falcons Latvia Latvia Falcons Rage
[Image: HOlloway.png]

PBE Affiliate:
https://probaseballexperience.jcink.net/...t&p=609183

[Image: IMG_2927.jpg?width=1195&height=672]

ISFL Offseason Task

[Image: ljefVAX.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

Okay, listen up, because I'm going to rant about this. I'm still not over it (and yes, I know it's been 12 years).

On June 23, 2011, the Columbus Blue Jackets made what has to be one of the worst trades ever. They traded my favorite player at the time, Jake Voracek, and their 1st and 3rd in the 2011 Entry Draft to Philadelphia for *breathes* Jeff Carter (FJC). Those picks? Turned into Nick Cousins and Sean Couturier. While Cousins has slipped into a journeyman 4th liner role, over 11 seasons (all with the Flyers), Couturier has played 721 games and put up a 180-28-460 line along with being a perennial Selke contender (including winning in 19-20). Voracek? He played 727 games and scored over 600 points for the Broad Street Bullies.

Shall we talk about the other side of the coin? The Blue Jackets, after years of gross mismanagement by Doug "Tickled Pink" MacLean, were desperate for some wins, and to get franchise superstar Rick Nash the ultimate present: a first line center that could keep up with him. Don't get me wrong, over the years Manny Malhotra, Jan Hrdina, Derick Brassard, Nikolai Zherdev (not a center), David Vyborny (also not a center), Antoine Vermette, Sergei Fedorov, Mike Peca, and R.J. Umberger tried, they really did. But none of those were what the franchise needed. When Scott Howson swung for the fences, he thought he was getting that 1C so many teams desperately covet... locked up longterm. Conveniently look away from the character issues and drug problems that caused friction in the Philly locker room.

Carter refused to report. Rick Nash had to fly out to beg him to leave his shore house to even report to Columbus. He then made everyone know how miserable he was for the 39 games he played in Union Blue before forcing a trade to play with his best buddy Mike Richards in Los Angeles. Columbus got back nowhere near the value they gave up and the franchise struggled to recover from the PR nightmare that FJC painted over the city as undesirable, even leading idiots on the Internet to group the Panarin, Duchene, Jones, Dubois, Bobrovsky, and Josh Anderson situations as all being the same "no one wants to play in Columbus" narrative.*

All in all, Frosted Tips got very lucky with winning a Cup that season and then avoiding his best bud's fate. He will forever be #1 on the Mt. Everest of most despised hockey players in Columbus. JFC. Having lived in Columbus and Philadelphia, I would take Columbus every time.

*Duchene was always going to Nashville, and the franchise refused to pay Bob and BJA what they were asking for (correctly). Panarin had his mind set on a big city market. It wasn't just Columbus Dubois felt wasn't good enough for his "talents." Not all the same.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

Okay, so I don't have a favorite pro team, nor do I feel like analyzing a trade from any of my SHL GMs; as much as I like the GMs I've played for, they're trade addicts so choosing one would be too hard.

But I am going to analyze a forgotten pro trade. Let's go back to 2003. The San Jose Sharks organization has had a goalie logjam for years, one that already cost them Johan Hedberg. The previous year, normal starter Evgeni Nabokov held out, meaning that their starting goalie situation was a de facto head to head for the long-term backup job between two Finns. Vesa Toskala ended up winning that gig almost by default, as the starter put up a pathetic -16.1 GSAA and .879 SV% (and Nabokov eventually came back). However, during all of this, Toskala's competition ended up now requiring waivers to be sent to their AHL team. So much of the early 2003-04 season, San Jose carried three goalies - Nabokov, Toskala, and the third goalie.

However, a starting spot opened up elsewhere in the league when Roman Turek got injured. So the Sharks sent this other goalie to the Flames for a draft pick. His name was Miikka Kiprusoff, who promptly went off in Calgary and actually knocked the Sharks out of that year's playoffs. Calgary recently announced that Kipper's number would be rising to the Saddledome rafters, and deservedly so; his peak was incredible.

That said, this trade seemed awful but actually managed to come back around for San Jose. When there was no 2004-05 season, and the order was decided by a complete lottery, the league elected it would be a snake style draft. This shoved the second rounder they got from Calgary from the end of the second, to the top 5 of it. And with it, San Jose took a Quebecois defender by the name of Marc-Édouard Vlasic. "Pickles" has since won Olympic gold and played over 1000 games for a Sharks team that was excellent for much of his tenure. While it would be easy to say "San Jose gave up Kiprusoff for nothing," Vlasic ultimately made the trade very much worth it.

[Image: valpix.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: d9J5DHT.png]
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard 
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: valpixpride.gif]

I don't feel like bothering the ancient SHLers for a history lesson for fear that they might crumble and die, so I'm going to go with the worst trade that has happened in my comparatively short time here. And it's an easy one: when QCC traded CAPTAIN Caleb Hayden to the Carolina Kraken in season 68, which otherwise would have been his final season as a Citadelle. Had the trade resulted in him getting the 4* cup, it would likely not be my chosen trade for this PT but alas! I absolutely don't blame CAR for the result, nor QCC for making the trade, but knowing the result with the heaping amount of hindsight I am afforded, I wish the trade had never happened. Hayden deserved a cup, but if he was destined not to get one I would have loved having him finish out his career as a forever owl and get a proper send off at the Videotron.

Code:
160 words

[Image: loreoh.gif]
[Image: eP8F2Ne.png][Image: xm4idGe.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png][Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]

Prompt 2

I'll try my own trade tree. Not a big one, but still! Valieva was created near the trade deadline of S67 and picked on waivers two days later. The Kelowna Knights had a rough season and were willing to trade their top scorer and give them a chance to make the playoffs and win the Cup. I ended up picked on waivers by St. Louis, then traded with a third round (S68) pick to Kelowna for Rikkert Biemans. Biemans ended up the season with a point per game for St.Louis, and a very decent 24 points in 18 games (with 14 goals), but unfortunately the Scarecrows did not win the Cup.

For the 3rd round pick of St.Louis traded to Kelowna, the Knights selected Walter Ulrich, a 199-TPE IA playing right wing. Ulrich had a very decent career. They played for Kelowna for a 23 points in 66 games during his rookie career. Signed as a free agent two seasons later for Regina (30 points in 66 games) and finished this season in Detroit with 54 (!) points.

Valieva played 4 seasons in Kelowna. Had a disappointing rookie season (16 points in 47 games, 8 points in the last 3 games of the season), a disappointing sophomore season (28 points), broke the all-time record in Kelowna with 81 points and won the SMJHL Alex Light Award for Most Improved Player in S69 and played a more defensive role in her last season, with 68 points.

---
Ekaterina Valieva - Baltimore Platoon

[Image: 0KH34qN.png]
Thanks @Lazyeye for the sig!

Prompt 1
In NL today we were talking about the Jumbo Joe trade out of Boston. That might not be the worse trade in the teams history but it's certainly up there. Probably one of the worst pre Peter Chiarelli anyways. Boston sends their captain and first overall pick who was scoring like crazy to San Jose for Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart, Wayne Primeau. You might be confused as to who those people are, well I think everyone is wondering the same thing. Trading a franchise player for three bottom line players is pretty brain dead and it's a miracle that they were able to win a cup just a few seasons later. Jumbo Joe has over 1000 points to his name in his long an illustrious career while the three people he was traded for seemed to fade from memory. Between Joe, Kessel and Seguin, the bruins had a knack for trading young talent for nothing, hopefully the Pasta extension shows he's here for the long haul.

[Image: riU14F5.gif]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/sburbine.gif[/img]

prompt 1:

I will be doing an NHL trade from my favorite hockey team the Toronto Maple Leafs. I am only 29 so I have not been around for much of the trades in Leaf history but during the time i have been a Leaf fan, the biggest bust/ what if of a trade i have seen during my time is acquiring Andrew Raycroft from Boston and giving up Tuukka Rask. it is important to note that Andrew Raycroft wasnt necessarily the worst goalie or anything but knowing where Tuukka Rask ended up and how good he was when we would have needed him most really hurts to think about. Andrew Raycroft would only stay with the Leafs for 1 full season with mediocre stats and 1 partial season with horrid stats before moving on while Tuukka Rask would spend around 15 seasons with Boston and being one of the best goalies in the league for about 10 of those.

160 words

I'm a Canadiens fan and the worst trade I've ever seen is when they traded P.k Subban. I know there were some problems going on but he was a good one that we truly lost, his chemistry with Carey Price was like no other, and if there is anyone on the ice a goalie should have a good relationship with it's the defenseman. Price already had a great relationship with the captain at the time Andrei Markov and Subban was practically best friends with the guy, I understand that sports are a business and there are things you need to do to make your business successful but I feel like Subban was a key piece to that puzzle at the time. I feel like Subban would have stayed on that team for his entire career if the Canadiens hadn't traded him, he went to Nashville and New Jersey after that, and I may be reaching a little far but could you imagine if the Canadiens drafted one of his brothers, that's mad chemistry that they missed out on.

[Image: hammer_time_sig.png]

[Image: gXlAFBa.png][Image: 8CbZQAJ.png][Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Task 1:

The worst trade in the history of Vegas Golden Knights must be from season one. They acquired Slovakian winger Tomas Tatar from Detroit Red Wings in exchange of 1st, 2nd and 3rd round draft picks. In the end, Tatar played in the team only one spring. He was supposed to help the team in a big role in the playoffs but sometimes he watched games from the stands. Of course, in the finals he was in the line-up and contributed also in the semi-finals little bit but as an overall his performance was a big disappointment. VGK used three picks to a guy who didn't offer a enough points. It was wasting of assets which were critical for a new expansion team like the Golden Knights then was. So yeah, I would say that is the worst trade in the history of the Vegas Golden Knights and luckily Seattle Argonauts' GM's Tig and Adam have never done anything like that.

[Image: salming.png]