Create Account

S72 PT #0: Trades, Trades, Trades

Prompt 1

I actually think it's quite tough to pinpoint super bad trades in this league because we don't have bloodthirsty pundits and toxic fanbases who are constantly out there searching for screw-ups and reminding us endlessly of the mistakes that someone made. Sure, there sometimes are comments when a trade happens, calling it a rip-off or pointing out how one side got much better value than the other, but usually this is where it ends. There rarely is any follow up a year or multiple years down the road, when the full effects of a trade are actually visible and can be judged somewhat objectively and independently. This leads to a lot of the bad trades (and bad draft picks, for that matter), to simply fizzle out and be forgotten. Especially when one of the players involved goes inactive, they hardly ever go out with a bang, they usually just fade away over time.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

We are not really big time traders on the Philadelphia Forge, instead relying on good scouting, drafting and taking advantage of what small FA market there is to bolster our team. Most of our trades therefore tend to be pretty modest or measured and while I would not consider us to be the "winners" of every trade we have made I do not think we have any real stinkers on our books. I would however like to point out that in the last five or so seasons there have been multiple trades made where a team retains on a contract for effectively no return at all. General managers need to learn the value of retention and start using that leverage to get a better return from teams otherwise they are both missing out on assets that would make their team better as well as making another team stronger for essentially nothing. Max retention for three seasons is worth at minimum a first rounder especially if it is going to be a late one. Stop retaining for nothing or stay bad forever.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

My favourite trade in the SHL had to be one of the first ones I was really involved with. When Philly was able to add Walton Stromberg to the roster to help give our team a little boost which ended up with us winning the cup that season! We were able to make the deal happen with 2 seasons worth of 2nd round picks and Grape fruit ( who was now IA). The deal seemed pretty fair both ways. We got a top caliber player and SFP got the picks they needed for help their rebuild. The only other trade that could possible top that is when Philly was able to trade up in the S68 draft to get the 9th overall pick and select my boy @CementHands. This allowed us to continue to play our careers together which we were hopeful that we would be able to do. Overall seeing trades go back and forth are always fun and good to introduce people to different groups on the site.

WC:170

[Image: CaleSalad.gif]
[Image: kalesaladshl.gif]
some high fibre sigs are Powered by AllBran, 

In 1988, the Kings sent three players and three draft picks to the Oilers in exchange for Wayne Gretzky. The three players the Kings sent were Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, and Doug Smith. The three draft picks the Kings sent were the first-round picks in 1989, 1991, and 1993.

The Oilers used the first-round pick in 1989 to select Petr Klima, who played for the Oilers for five seasons. The Oilers used the first-round pick in 1991 to select Jason Arnott, who played for the Oilers for three seasons. The Oilers used the first-round pick in 1993 to select Jason Bonsignore, who never played for the Oilers.

The Kings used the players they acquired in the trade to build a contender. Gretzky led the Kings to four Stanley Cup Finals appearances, winning two Cups in 1993 and 2002.

The trade tree of the Wayne Gretzky trade is still going on today. Players who were acquired in trades that were ultimately the result of the Gretzky trade include Patrice Bergeron, David Pastrnak, and Jack Eichel.

The Gretzky trade is the greatest trade in NHL history. It not only helped the Kings win two Stanley Cups, but it also had a profound impact on the NHL as a whole.

[Image: U9GyyHt.jpg]

One of my favourite players are definitely Marian Hossa. I was a little kid when I was his fan boy. However, I always wanted that he is on a good team and competes for a Stanley Cup. I was very happy when he got it as well. Ottawa ''Senators'' did an awful trade - traded away Greg de Vries and Marian Hossa just to acquire Dany Heatley. ''Senators'' are one of my favourite teams. However, earlier in his career Ottawa ''Senators'' traded him to Atlanta ''Trashers'' and I was pissed off. Atlanta was never a team where he could've achieved good goals with team. Yes, he had his own 100 points season and was incredibely good, but I was happy when he got traded to Pittsburgh ''Penguins''. It didn't last long - he spent only one season there and then left to spend a season in Detroit ''Red Wings'' too. His eigth seasons in Chicago ''Blackhawks'' was crazy good though. I would say that ''Blackhawks'' did a great job trading him away at the right time, because he ended his career then as an Arizona ''Coyotes'' player.

185 words

Stars Stars Stars

As a Pittsburgh Penguins fan, I have been pretty lucky with avoiding bad trades - at least since i've been watching them in the past 20 or so years. And that says a lot, especially with jackass Ron Hextall at the helm in the 2 previous seasons. Although it could be argued his worst move was not initiating trades and allowing the Penguins to bob there in the water, helpless to miss their first post season in over a decade. The trade I'd like to bring to the table is in 2017, Pittsburgh trading prospect Oskar Sundqvist and a 2017 first round pick to St. Louis for Ryan Reaves and a 2017 second round pick. I understand, the Penguins wanted to add size and get bigger and badder after coming off 2 straight Stanley Cups however..Ryan Reaves for a great prospect AND a first rounder? No. Sundqvist also developed into a depth forward role scoring 14 goals and 31 points with the Blues in the 2018-2019 season. That would be his best season to date as he has bounced around between STL, DET and now with MIN. And what has Ryan Reaves done? During his time on the Penguins, head coach Mike Sullivan simply wouldn't play him and would healthy scratch him for a good portion of the season they acquired him. Sullivan likes a speed game and Reaves was the complete opposite of that. That's a lot of value to spend on a guy that spent most of his time with the Penguins in the press box.

Word Count: 257

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]

Within one year, the LA Kings and Buffalo Sabres made two separate trades that, despite some odd crossovers, ultimately helped shape the depth of the Kings back-end for several years, most notably with the Stanley Cup win in 2014.

The first trade occurred on April 1, 2013 when the LA Kings acquired Robyn Regehr from the Buffalo Sabres for two second-round draft picks (in 2014 and 2015). Regehr quickly became a staple on the Kings back-end, contributing mostly in a shutdown presence. In the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs, he played in all 18 games, averaging over 21 minutes a night while ranking second on the team in shorthanded time on ice behind only Drew Doughty.

He was so crucial to the teams’ success, that they didn’t even wait for the playoffs to end to sign the pending free agent to a two-year, $6 million dollar contract. Unfortunately, the Kings chance at repeating as Stanley Cup champions ended at the hands of the Chicago Blackhawks in the Western Conference Finals.

During the 2013-14 season, Regehr featured in 79 games, becoming a centerpiece on the penalty kill. But when that season’s trade deadline approached, the Kings and Sabres hooked up for another trade deadline deal. This time, the Kings sent two promising prospects (Nicolas Deslauriers and Hudson Fasching) to the Sabres for Brayden McNabb, the rights to Jonathan Parker and two second-round picks. Those two picks were the same two that the Kings sent the Sabres for Regehr.

While McNabb (AHL, Manchester Monarchs) and Parker (ECHL, Ontario Reign) would finish the 2013-14 season in the minor leagues, Regehr and the Kings entered the playoffs eyeing the second Stanley Cup in franchise history.

The playoffs opened with Regehr and the Kings facing off against the San Jose Sharks. Despite falling into a 3-0 series deficit, the Kings stormed back with four-straight wins to move on to the second round. Regehr finished the series second on the team in total time on ice while leading the team in shorthanded time on ice.

In the second-round series against the Anaheim Ducks, Regehr suffered an injury in Game 1 that would ultimately sideline him for the rest of the playoffs. While his on-ice presence would be missed, most people knew his significance extended off the ice as well, and the Kings would go on to capture their second Stanley Cup in franchise history that year.

The 2014-15 season would see both Regehr and McNabb skate their lone season together with the Kings. McNabb, a rookie, finished with 24 points (2-22=24) in 71 games while Regehr posted 13 points (3-10=13) in 67 appearances.

Following the season, Regehr announced his retirement from professional hockey. As an LA King, he finished with 29 points (6-23=29) in 158 regular-season games while adding three points (0-3=3) in 26 playoff games and winning the Stanley Cup in 2014.

McNabb would go on to play two more seasons for the Kings. Over his three full seasons in LA, he was the primary partner on the back end for Drew Doughty and posted 42 points (6-36=42) in 201 regular-season games. He was selected by the Vegas Golden Knights in the Expansion Draft before the 2017-18 season.

As for the rest of the trade pieces? For the Kings, they used their reacquired second-round picks to select Alex Lintuniemi in the 2014 NHL Draft and Erik Cernak in the 2015 NHL Draft.
Cernak became a focal point of the deadline trade that brought Ben Bishop to LA for their hopeful run to the postseason during the 2017-18 season. He has played the majority of the last two seasons with Tampa Bay, appearing in 125 games.

Jonathan Parker and Alex Lintuniemi never quite made it to the NHL. Parker played professionally from 2011-2016, primarily in the ECHL, and Lintuniemi played mostly in the AHL before signing a contract in his home country of Finland during the 2019-20 season.

As for the Sabres, Nicolas Deslauriers appeared in parts of four season with Buffalo, posting 30 points (12-18=30) in 211 regular-season games. He was later traded by Buffalo to Montreal for Zach Redmond and now plays for the Anaheim Ducks.

Fasching only appeared in 22 games with Buffalo over three seasons, spending most of his time in the AHL. He posted three points (1-2=3) in those 22 games before later being dealt to the Arizona Coyotes.
Arguments can be made over how these two initial trades were perceived at the time. Second-round draft picks hold high value and, at the time of the second trade, players like Deslauriers and Fasching were deemed promising prospects who could develop into a contributing NHL players.

Fortunately, as time passes, Kings fans can look back on those two trades with appreciation. Not only did Regehr and McNabb become integral parts of the Kings back-end and play nearly 400 games combined (regular-season and playoffs), but Regehr’s contributions, specifically, played a factor in the Kings’ Stanley Cup win in 2014.

825 words

[Image: m59RPb7.png] | [Image: FcWmVTl.png]

S61 Four Star Cup - Game-Winning Goal in the clinching Game 4
[Image: unknown.png]

[Image: efischermann.gif]

The worst trade in San Franciso Pride history is both times they traded for Slavakov Vladimirashenko, but since that’s a bit too obvious we’re going to go with the worst trade in Dallas Stars history. In my opinion, the worst trade they made was trading Jarome Iginla for Joe Nieuwendyk. Now on paper it may not look that bad, as the Stars won a cup with Joe and he was the 4th best forward on that team behind Modano, Hull, and Lehtinen, and there’s also no guarantee Iginla would have turned into the Hall of Famer he is if he stayed in Dallas, however there are a couple of factors that make the trade a loss for the Stars in my opinion. First of all, Joe never hit point per game while on the Stars. Now during that time Iginla hit it once, in 2001, but he also hit that mark 5 times after that while Joe never did. Second was age. Joe is 10 years older than Jarome and the Stars could have been better for longer keeping Iginla. And third was team loyalty. Joe only stayed in Dallas for 7 seasons before being traded, whereas Jarome spent 17 seasons with Calgary. While not terribly one-sided, I do think long term Dallas lost the Iginla trade.

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

PROMPT 1

I do cheer for Florida Panthers, and from the time that I've been following them more closely, there really is no other candidate for the worst trade than the Reilly Smith trade. The trade was Reilly Smith (and his $5M cap hit contract) for a 4th round pick and expansion draft considerations. But losing Reilly Smith basically for free isn't even the worst part of this, which makes it even more miserable. The worst part is that the "expansion draft considerations" meant a deal that Vegas would pick Jonathan Marchessault, allowing Panthers to keep both Mark Pysyk and Alex Petrovic. Pysyk and Petrovic had always been and always remained replacement-level players. Marchessault was still playing his cheap rookie deal and had already scored 30 goals in the previous season, and he turned out to be an actually useful, very good NHLer. Panthers lost him AND Reilly Smith in that trade and gained absolutely nothing. It felt incredibly dumb at the time, and it still does. Thanks, Dale Tallon.

[Image: sulov.gif]

PT Pass

[Image: BoucherFan12.gif]

[Image: benzeev.gif]

06-11-2021, 05:33 PMKenitohMenara Wrote: [Image: BLUE.jpeg]
Welcome to the hall, Ben!

PROMPT 2: Steve Dangle Content

WRITTEN TASK: Tell me about your favorite trade tree! This can either be in the SHL or in real professional hockey, and does not have to involve your team.

Well I haven't quite been in the league long enough to see any sort of crazy trade tree that involves The Carolina Kraken, but there is one series of trades that I certainly took interest in. The 35th overall pick in the Season 72 Juniors Entry Draft was exchanged a total of four times between The Regina Elk and Carolina. Originally owned by Regina, the pick was moved to Carolina along with 18oa in S71 in exchange for 15oa back to Carolina. Following the S71 draft Carolina would then package the pick along with a Carolina S72 4th in exchange for Alexandros Mograine who would turn out to be an absolute steal as he went 14th overall in the S72 SHL entry draft. Regina really did not want either of those picks they would go onto trade both S72 35oa and the S72 Kraken 4th back in exchange for a number of other picks in S72(at this point I'm sure the budget team was thrilled). The kicker here for this trade tree is that the pick finally moved back to Regina based on a conditional clause on the final trade! Regina Elk receive S72 CAR 3rd / REG 3rd* whichever pick is earlier! So alas at the conclusion of S71 the pick made it's way back to the Elk.

[Image: wizard_literal2.gif]
[Image: SZRCDpe.png]

On a fateful draft night in 2021, I watched my TV and twitter eagerly as I watched my Canucks, holding the 9th overall pick, decide what to do with the valuable asset. I personally was praying for either William Eklund or Brandt Clarke, but a consensus top-7 pick in Dylan Guenther was available for the taking at the 9th overall pick, where he would be selected. Only, the Canucks were not the team to select at their previously owned 9th pick. Instead, the Canucks moved the 9th overall pick as well as some cap dumps in Nucks Legend Loui Eriksson, Jay Beagle, and Roussel for decent middle-six winger Conor Garland and Oliver freaking Ekman-Larsson. Guenther looks like a great, future top-6 winger for the Coyotes with top-line upside, and the cap dumps have run out leaving their cap situation empty. On the other hand, Conor Garland has seen little playing time on the powerplay or even just in even strength minutes as the Canucks are dealing with a significant winger log-jam. His trade value is reportedly nearing neutral, which is almost the worst case scenario given the 9th overall pick spent on the 5'9 winger. However, things went much worse for Vancouver with OEL. Oliver had a decent first season in Vancouver with Tyler Myers forming a formidable 2nd pairing but this season was completely ASS and had to be bought out. So to recap, the Canucks sent the 9th overall pick, a 2nd rounder, and some 1 year cap dumps for a middle-six slightly overpaid winger and 16m of dead cap spread over the next 6 years or something. Thanks Jim.

Links: Updates | Player Page | Bank

As a fan of the Vancouver Canucks there have been so many questionable trades that we have made in the past decade. Like, it's really not even funny. From trading a young prospect in Jared McCann as well as extras including a 2nd round draft pick for Erik Gudbranson. Now that was absolutely atrocious. And then obviously the very notorious 9th overall pick for OEL and Garland trade. Now, I really like Conor Garland. We have a massive surplus on wingers now, though, but I do like Garland. OEL though. Man, he was good in his first year with the Canucks, but there was no way that contract was going to age well. He took a down year this season, and with us signing JT Miller to a mammoth contract, I guess it made the more sense to buy him out. Sucks that we even decided to make that trade in the first place. Canucks are pain, man.

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: gospklL.png]

The worst trade ever by my team? The Toronto Maple Leafs? Where to start, there have been so many. Do you go with the 1st round pick for Tom Kurvers that ended up being Scott Niedermayer? The two 1st round picks(Seguin and Hamilton) and one 2nd round pick to the Bruins for Phil "the Thrill" Kessel? Or do you go with the much maligned Rask for Raycroft trade? 

All of these would rank in the top 5 for any team, but the pick I went with is from the 2011 draft floor in Minnesota. The Leafs traded the Boston Bruins 2011 1st(30th) and their 2nd(39th) to Anaheim to trade up for their 1st(22nd). Now on the surface this does not come off as a bad trade, until you dive into who those picks ended up as. The Maple Leafs used that 22nd overall pick to select Tyler Biggs. Now Biggs was supposed to be the next big thing, he came with size and scoring capabilities. Now the real issue is that he never once suited up in a Maple Leafs jersey. Nor did he ever appear in the NHL period. That is an amazing career line of 0GP 0G 0A. Not great return on any trade.

But surely the Ducks couldn't have had much luck with their two picks. Probably was a weak draft right? Wrong!! With that first pick they snagged Rickard Rakell. Now Rakell was never a superstar but he has put up very solid stats in his career, 447GP 129G and 283P. He was a two time 30 goal scorer. That is a lot of points more than Biggs ever put up. The worst part of this is he wasn't even the best player they picked with the Leaf's picks.
That 2nd rounder ended up being none other than John Gibson. The goalie the Leaf's have been searching for since God knows when. The man who in 287games put up a stats line of 139-103-33 2.53GAA and a SV% of 0.918. 

The complete ineptitude of the Toronto front office never ceases to shock.

[Image: x17WALp.png][Image: hUtg6sH.png][Image: pPWkZOM.png]
[Image: Q9Ii17g.png]
Credit to Ragnar and Enigmatic for the great Signatures

Prompt 1

There are not many trades that I can recall that have happened which have included the Los Angeles Panthers but the one that is one of my most favorite one has to be the three-way trade between Los Angeles, Manhattan and Atlanta. Bunch of picks went from team A and B to team C while they offloaded bunch from themselves as well. It is just a mess to figure out everything in theory, but eventually one thing stands out - and that is the fact that Pass Forfeit was acquired from Manhattan in that trade, as well as a S74 2nd round pick (which is yet to come out as pick X in the draft)

Needless to say having picked up this guy who was ranked below the top-10 in his draft class is now sitting comfortably at #3 spot in his draft class was a steal, and having a 2nd round pick on top of that is just nuts. Forfeit has become a crucial member of the LA Panthers blueline and is looking to inspire younglings like N'Zola towards greatness

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]