Create Account

SHL Analytical Player Cards
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2023, 09:02 PM by FuzzSHL. Edited 1 time in total.)

Hello SHL!

Last season, when I joined the SHL Awards Committee, I sought out to set up something in a spreadsheet that would allow me to more closely compare different potential nominees over a variety of different statistical categories. Sure, the index on the site is absolutely outstanding, but as a tool for comparing players and deciding ballot nominations, it lacks a little bit of functionality in that regard. I am in no way trying to disparage the index or the people who set it up, and I am in no way trying to call them out for lacking a function that only a small portion of the site would benefit from. At any rate, I set out to set something up in a spreadsheet that would give me the functionality that I was looking for, as well as giving me the ability to calculate certain stats that are not exported by FHM or shown on the index. I wasn't able to quite get everything set into a sheet that I wanted to, but it was enough of something that helped myself determine my Bojo nominations.

Fast forward a good bit of time to this past week. I was trying to update the sheet before awards season started so that I and the committee could use the sheet in discussing award nominations. At this point, the sheet was still going off of manual input on my end, so it was taking a long time to actually get things done. I had a question about time-on-ice formatting, and reached out to @Canadice. What started out as a simple time-on-ice formatting question turned into Canadice setting up and sharing with me a spreadsheet that used the SHL's API to pull data from the site's index, providing me with access to every skater's statistical data without having to manually input them into a spreadsheet. This helped a ton, and sparked another branching idea off of what I was already setting up for the awards committee. This branching idea is the topic of this post.

For those of you who follow NHL analytics on Twitter, Patreon, Reddit, or wherever you consume analytical hockey data, you might have heard of JFresh and his player cards before. Love them or hate them, they are a pretty decent way of getting an overall look at a player and how well they play relative to the league. Personally, I have been a fan of those cards over the years, and enjoy seeing them when they pop up on my Twitter (no I'm not going to call it X, or Xitter, or whatever it is called now) feed. So when Canadice provided me the means to acquire the league's statistics, I knew that what I was already attempting to do for the awards committee was not too far off of setting up an SHL version of JFresh's player cards. With a little more help from Canadice in fixing a few formula errors, the first edition of the player cards were born.
[Image: KettuCard.PNG]

"Fuzz...what do the percents mean? What is all this?" Reader, I'm glad you asked!

The percentages are based off of that skater's numerical value for that statistic. A league-leading statistical category would place a skater in the "100th percentile" for that category, while being league-worst in a statistical category would place that skater in the "0 percentile" for that category. The only non-percentage category on the player cards is the GvA/TkA ratio. This, quite simply, is the skater's ratio of takeaways to giveaways. Above 1.00 means more takeaways than giveaways, below 1.00 means more giveaways than takeaways, exactly 1.00 means they are exactly the same. This was not quite easy to put into a percentile, so I left it as the strict ratio on the cards. Especially considering Kettu above, he isn't what you would call great in either category of giveaways or takeaways. However, his ratio is actually pretty good, so...do with that information what you will.

There is available data for all FHM seasons that can be found on the site's index, so I will be opening a "sig shop" where I will be taking requests for player cards. I will update this post with a link to said "shop" when I actually get it set up and posted, which should be soon. I will not be charging anything for these, by the way. None of this would be possible without the help of Canadice, and it would be wrong to monetarily benefit from something that I had help with. I will state, though, that requests for player cards from the current season will not be shared until after the regular season has concluded. Historical cards will be available immediately to those who request them.

Enjoy! Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

Can't wait to be shown how bad Edžus really is
Also, amazing work Fuzz and CanadIce!!

Thank you to @Revontulete for the sig! [Image: Edzus_Ozolins.png?ex=663422ef&is=6632d16...f173626fb&]

For those interested here is a link to the SHL API Google Sheet with player, goaltender and team standings API functions added. Make a copy of the sheet to use it for yourselves according to the instructions.

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]

[Image: canadice.gif]
Thanks to @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @Carpy48 and @High Stick King, for the signatures

[Image: jZtKPwK.png] | [Image: RyzkmSj.png] | [Image: HKi05IH.png]

[Image: EzY5jpl.png]