Create Account

Toronto - A Path of Unknown

Stars  Stars  Stars  Captains Announced  Stars  Stars  Stars

In what is a long overdue piece of media, it both leaves a level of excitement and an unbalance of unknown.  While it is not new news, the rebuild of Toronto has been a long one at which has had many twists and turns... both planned and unplanned.  In reality, this isn't surprising of many rebuilds as it is a significant time frame between a fall to the depths and the rise to a competitive level.  Some plans exceed expectations and some just don't come together.

Before talking about our future, what I would like to do is address our current.  In reference to the overdue... I first want to announce our captaincy.  We haven't had a decision of this sort since I took the helm and I only fault myself for not making it a priority.  Toronto has had a long legacy of great players, teams, but most of all great users.  While I once was hesitant in taking the reins of the Toronto North Stars, I've learned more about being a GM here than I have in leading any other team... Both here and in any other league.  Prior to the season started we had a vote to establish team leadership, however we had a tad bit of a twist atop the formal leadership.

When we started this venture of a rebuild, we obviously had some roster spots open up after a multitude of trades.  One of the users that has continued to stay with us has been @5ympathies and Dick Clapper.  Contract negotiations have always been a struggle (only sarcasm), but his commitment to achieving goals speaks for itself.  As for Clapper, at some point he will hang it up, but until then we proudly award him an "A" as we prepare to mentor the youth of the team.

Next, on our list is a player that has been a career player with Toronto that is on his horizon of the real regression fight.  His play exemplifies the hard nose mentality that seasons of rebuilding create.  A user that always brings in positivity to a locker room and offers a true balance of support for all sub-par real life sports teams.  Happy to announce that our other "A" will be Ben Der and @mcgriddleluver .

Last, but not least our Captain.  A player that came to Toronto after their rookie season in the SHL and a user that returned to their first home in the SHL.  @Grapehead has always been at the center of our team discussion and has never wavered on their support for our future.  In the beginning of the rebuild, the only ask that he had was to play the role of bridging the gap from the old to the new.  He has done that and so much more.  Jimmy Larkin-Conway continues to climb the charts in Toronto North Stars history books.  I'm proud to announce him as our Captain and look forward to his continued involvement in the locker room and on the ice.

---

A Kind of Future

As Toronto continues to head towards their first mass call up, there are ample voids that still need to be filled.

"We have an interesting path ahead of us.  We have spent a lot of picks in recent seasons to develop our next generation of players.  We've had some unfortunate departures, but feel like going forward we have many great pieces that will be our nucleus." Kyle Wahlters explained.

"Where our vulnerability may be exploited right now is that the lack of players at a premier SHL level will prevent from the rookies being able to be competitive right out of the gate."

Turn the clock back to the end of S32 and you will find what would be a hardline commitment to a rebuild that would lead the Portland Admirals to a sub-8 win season.  However, what was different then, was that you would find a roster that had a foundation of veterans committed to the process of a cycle and gaining momentum.  Via trades and free agency, the Admirals were able to sign players that absorbed the youth's lack of TPE.

"I think the trajectory of Toronto is much different than what was Portland.  Portland was built around trading what assets were available and building a nucleus around vets that were approaching fighting regression.  While there were ample trades, free agency was a bit kinder of a process at the time.  We had key roles filled by guys that wanted to lead a team out of the darkness and into success.

With Toronto, our nucleus is literally growing from within.  In my opinion, I see it as a much more difficult path of a rebuild that has already seen its ups and downs.  It is a much longer process as prospects aren't walking into a winning capability, those same players are building it.  Every player that dons that blue and white sweater in coming seasons are going to be a part of the foundation.  I feel that we have the right attitudes to get to the next step.  We have the leaders within the team and I feel that will payoff in future drafts and free agency periods." Wahlters said wrapping up his end of season presser.

It's going to be a new horizon in which the stars that shine brightest will lead this team out of the dark, depths of the SHL.  S73 is going to be another step with new faces, new roles and new leaders.

[Image: Wally.png]

This is not the first rebuild during my time in Toronto, but I'm nevertheless excited for the future. Also congrats to the new captains! Let's go! Heart

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Love you long time Wally

[Image: macgriddlesig.png?ex=6531467b&is=651ed17...9ee2d84f&=]
Finland  Stars  Berserkers

Just another hill for us to climb! We got this!

[Image: photostudio-1710898490476.jpg]

It's been an honour playing with the North Stars, and I'm looking forward to seeing the new Stars take over in a few seasons.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

i know for a fact toronto will be successful because they picked so many of my boys Whalers

[Image: izzy.PNG]

im stuck with toronto as long as you'll have me

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

08-26-2023, 11:31 PM5ympathies Wrote: im stuck with toronto as long as you'll have me

THE number one chicken world man himself

[Image: izzy.PNG]

08-27-2023, 02:48 AMaleks Wrote: THE number one chicken world man himself

still never been to chicken world lmao

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]