Create Account

Portal... Good or bad for the league?

So, Player Portal launched recently and I haven't seen a lot of opinions about it. Couple of people has said that this is an amazing upgrade and a step forward for the league, but there are some people who don't like this stuff as well. And I'm not sure on which side I am yet.

I will start with the things that I like the most about this update. Let's begin with the first page on Player Portal. I like that there are details about my player like in a real hockey player scouting page. Birthplace, current league, current team etc. Statistics aren't very far away either - you don't have to spend hours to find it. Pretty cool that there's most important information added too - render, bank balance and draft season. Small details which makes a perfectionist feel better. My most favourite part might be ''Attributes'', because you can now easily see all of them in one page. Easy to look at it. Yes, it was the same in a page of exact player, but now it looks a bit more professional. And that's it about the good stuff.

[Image: original.png]
THIS IS GOOD

You already know - when an old head speaks, there might be many stuff about how it was in the good old days. And I'm here from like S26. Seen many updates which has helped the league or had the exactly opposite impact. It is what it is. Personally, I don't think that you have to fix things which isn't broken. Training in forum was much more interesting. It took more time, but I enjoyed getting them links together and typing down attributes which I will improve, my TPE. It was more personal and more interesting. Plus, it helped to improve activity on forum as well. It maybe didn't help that much, but there are multiple posts which we will never see again, because of this new update. No more posts and replies in Activity Checks (once per week), Team Training Camps (once per season), your update threads (usually once per week) and even more. Now multiply the posts you should've done by active users who does it each time. Many of posts are lost and activity on forum comes with it. I just think that with each step like this, forum goes closer and closer to an extinction. Fantasy has been moved to Discord as well. Now we just have to find a way to move Point Tasks, Predictions and Chirper there, so there is zero activity on the forum and we can just forget about it.

Now I feel a bit of risk of losing some TPE as well. It's all on system now and other users who are just adding some TPE to my player. For example, I just got 1 TPE from ''Point Task'' with description ''S73 season predictions - cup winners''. I don't know what that is. Where did I get that TPE? I can't remember what PT linked with S73 I have done to get exactly 1 TPE. Is that like some type of charity? If there would be attached link to that description though, I would easily understand the situation. However, now I don't know where I got that TPE from. So now there are some trust issues and just a bit of chaos. Thinking of losing some TPE just because some people who take care of it is careless.

[Image: original.png]
THIS IS... not so good

It's obvious that with changes comes happy and not happy people. It's always a two way road and you have to try to be objective in these type of situations. Have to think more deeper than your personal interests. Does this help the league, forum and the people? To be honest - I don't feel like it now. Maybe in the future, but not now. Sad to see such an update when there was much more important stuff to improve, but it is what it is. Don't want to see this project become so shitty as VHL. Will see how it will work out. Gotta give it some time and I wish best of the luck to the author of this idea, but I'm not a supporter of it. This was a quick resume of my thoughts.

708 words

Stars Stars Stars
[Image: aumy3.png]

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2023, 06:14 AM by luke. Edited 1 time in total.)

Well, for the cup winners if you read the claims task for season predictions here - https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3413598

On thé forum it will explain exactly what that cup predictions came from

Also to harp on
Code:
However, now I don't know where I got that TPE from. So now there are some trust issues and just a bit of chaos. Thinking of losing some TPE just because some people who take care of it is careless.
The only difference between on the forum tpe and on the portal tpe is that you don’t have to manually claim it.

That was a MAJOR turnoff for a lot of users. Along with figuring out how to do an activity check and training. It’s one of the main reasons why people went inactive so quickly.

That being said, obviously it’s a new system. There will be kinks to work out in order to get people all the info in a timely fashion.

I don’t know anyone who hasn’t like the portal until now. Everyone I talked to and seen either on the forum or discord loved the portal. So if anyone else doesn’t like it please let me know. We can talk why it’s bad for you and see how we can fix it

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

This is like not liking presents at Christmas.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

It’s good tbh imo

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

09-12-2023, 06:07 AMluke Wrote: Well, for the cup winners if you read the claims task for season predictions here - https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3413598

On thé forum it will explain exactly what that cup predictions came from

Also to harp on
Code:
However, now I don't know where I got that TPE from. So now there are some trust issues and just a bit of chaos. Thinking of losing some TPE just because some people who take care of it is careless.
The only difference between on the forum tpe and on the portal tpe is that you don’t have to manually claim it.

That was a MAJOR turnoff for a lot of users. Along with figuring out how to do an activity check and training. It’s one of the main reasons why people went inactive so quickly.

That being said, obviously it’s a new system. There will be kinks to work out in order to get people all the info in a timely fashion.

I don’t know anyone who hasn’t like the portal until now. Everyone I talked to and seen either on the forum or discord loved the portal. So if anyone else doesn’t like it please let me know. We can talk why it’s bad for you and see how we can fix it
But is it really that hard to attach the link to the text where description is mentioned? For example, if it was PT #3 of the S72, why there couldn't be a link to it. You press on it and it drops you in an exact place where everyone submitted their PT's? However, I said good things too. I totally agree that this is a new system and people needs to get used to it. I needed some time to get used to EHFM when we changed to it from STHS. Now it's similar situation here. I don't think it's a bad update, but I don't think it's an extra amazing update as well. Cool to see at least some type of trying to improve the league. Right now it's just 50/50 - will it work or not. We will see what happens when new users sign up. They might think that this portal thing is hard as well and might go inactive too. You never know. However, I hope it works out. I'm neutral, but I can clearly see some problems which hopefully will get fixed and improved.

Stars Stars Stars
[Image: aumy3.png]

09-12-2023, 07:23 AMst4rface Wrote: But is it really that hard to attach the link to the text where description is mentioned? For example, if it was PT #3 of the S72, why there couldn't be a link to it. You press on it and it drops you in an exact place where everyone submitted their PT's? However, I said good things too. I totally agree that this is a new system and people needs to get used to it. I needed some time to get used to EHFM when we changed to it from STHS. Now it's similar situation here. I don't think it's a bad update, but I don't think it's an extra amazing update as well. Cool to see at least some type of trying to improve the league. Right now it's just 50/50 - will it work or not. We will see what happens when new users sign up. They might think that this portal thing is hard as well and might go inactive too. You never know. However, I hope it works out. I'm neutral, but I can clearly see some problems which hopefully will get fixed and improved.

To be honest back when I joined and realized it is forum based I just quit in middle of making my player and only got back to it day after as it still sounded interesting as I saw the thread on Reddit again. Also while I can see someone thinking fondly back to forums and what they used to be before discord (as it used to have everything under same roof so community was more concentrated) I don't think there is any value to preserving forums just for the sake of it, if we could run the league better without the forums we shouldn't keep them around just for the nostalgia.

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

09-12-2023, 07:13 AMWannabeFinn Wrote: It’s good tbh imo

Unlike you as commissioner and buffalo shadow GM

I was apprehensive hearing about it because i liked the interactivity of doing updates and linking all the threads. the portal is really convenient but i would lean towards i don't like it as it feels to easy. I do hope the forum doesn't die at and i don't think it will do so easily.

I think the forums will always have a place in the ecosystem of any sim league, and I think all of the pieces that we use have their own necessary uses.

Discord is good for instant communication with people and enabling that day-to-day social environment. There are interactions you can have and camaraderie you can build in a live chat environment that you don't get when you're exchanging forum posts due to the pace of it. I think some people likely preferred it when things moved a little slower, but slower form communication is just not the nature of the internet these days. If we want this thing that we love to survive and keep growing, we have to evolve with the times, and I think the shift to Discord for a lot of the locker room/social stuff has been a clear reflection of that, and I think the portal is too.

The portal is good for enabling people to do all of the things that were exceedingly inconvenient for people who primarily use the site on mobile, which is how more and more people are using the internet in general these days. As a J GM, I am very well acquainted with how many people join (especially younger users), realize that doing updates is a pain in the ass on mobile, and then slip away into the night. The portal completely eliminates the new-user confusion of "wait so i do this thing, and some of it I can claim right away by linking to my own post, but some of it I have to wait for it to get graded and then I link to some other post and not the actual thing I wrote to get credit for it, this is too confusing, I'm out." I have watched this firsthand recently having recruited my husband, who I consider to be a real smart guy, and watching his eyes glaze over as I explained that whole process. As a rookie mentor, we always tell the new users "yeah it's kind of complicated but you get used to it, there's a bit of a learning curve" and then cross our fingers and hope they stick it out. The portal removes a huge portion of that learning curve, and also eliminates so much of the risk of potential error, too.

But all that being said, I don't think either discord or the portal will ever fully replace the forum as the home base that brings everyone together. I also don't think the portal is replacing anything that anyone engaged in as a social activity - nobody was having conversations in their update threads or bank transactions. People still have to come on the site to actually do their PTs and such, the portal just makes it easier for them to reap the benefits of that engagement.

I don't think it's any secret that engagement with the site has decreased since the isolation and restrictions of the pandemic have eased up - the majority of people simply do not have as much time to sit around on their computers as they did when we were all locked in our houses for two years. For those two-ish years, we had essentially a captive audience of people who had not that much else left to do, and we do not have that any longer. We can't just pretend that things haven't changed, we have to adapt. But that doesn't mean the forum side of things is going to go away - there are plenty of things that are much better suited to this environment than Discord or the portal.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

09-12-2023, 04:44 AMst4rface Wrote: Thinking of losing some TPE just because some people who take care of it is careless.

Do you think that couldn't happen when everyone was doing everything by hand?

All automated = if there's a mistake it's almost guaranteed to be widespread and thus more easily caught and fixed. We had punishments for people who claimed things wrong and updaters not catching it.

In the dev team we trust.

[Image: lespoils.gif]

09-12-2023, 04:44 AMst4rface Wrote: Sad to see such an update when there was much more important stuff to improve
We're always listening, what should've we improved instead / What should we focus on next?

Thank you to @Revontulete for the sig![Image: Edzus_Ozolins.png?ex=661b6612&is=6608f11...0f071bc3c&]

good

Character Page RD- Quarterback
[Image: micool132.gif]

Retired players:
-Toki Wartooth
-Nathan Explosion btw
-Angus McFife XVIII

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

im from s20 btw and updater and im gonna win the cup

Character Page RD- Quarterback
[Image: micool132.gif]

Retired players:
-Toki Wartooth
-Nathan Explosion btw
-Angus McFife XVIII

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

09-12-2023, 11:58 AMsliceruser Wrote: I was apprehensive hearing about it because i liked the interactivity of doing updates and linking all the threads.

Nerd. Just kidding! Lol, this made me laugh though, because that is exactly what I found fulfilling. Now I'm old and lazy and like the portal lol

[Image: Wally.png]

09-12-2023, 01:00 PMSeany148 Wrote: We're always listening, what should've we improved instead / What should we focus on next?

Can you fix the Hurricanes winning the cup?

[img=0x0]https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/grUaWFD9ou9EjLV73AFr8OZ5Z5ZgBJHWeh35DDNtFgI/https/i.imgur.com/hQtmi8A.png[/img]
CitadellesCitadelles