Create Account

One Last Ride

That’s it, one last shot to leave my mark on the SMJHL. To be fair I didn’t think I was going to play this season in the SMJHL, I was fully prepared to take the next step in my SHL career and go to the big league. The SMJHL and myself for whatever reason have a history of my players underperforming, so why waste another year there when I have a limited window to create a hall of fame career in the SHL.

It started last season, I looked into my personal SMJHL crystal ball, with how each team was developing and most importantly my own team. The up and coming Knights were looking spectacular, we had so many active rookies and a solid group of second year players. But the current group of veterans’ 3rd and 4th year players were limited in activity and growth. Looking at this group I couldn’t see a way to win a cup over the next 2 seasons, we just didn’t have the firepower and talent to compete against the top teams. With my first two seasons becoming a bit of a write off, early exit in the first round and didn’t make the playoffs in the second season. It left me wondering what chance would I have in winning the cup? The answer in my mind was very low.

I approached my GM and let him know my thoughts, I believed the Knights would be a dominate team about 1 season too late for me. With that doubt I thought it would be best to move on up for year 4 and build on my SHL career; or if he could recoup a pick or two I would be fine moving to another team with the hope this could setup the future of the Knights. It was the hardest thing to do, give up on my team for my own selfish reasons. I felt like an ass, maybe I am, but Artermis took the news like a champ and said he appreciated knowing my head space and considered this aspect of the game fun. He went right to work on getting a trade for myself.

Nothing happened during year 3. I knew there were a few proposed trades back and forth but nothing stuck. It was disappointing, but I continued to focus on my growth and the team’s success. Unfortunately, I floundered again this season scoring another 20 or so goals and close to a point per game pace. The Knights made the playoffs but were bounced in the first round and nothing about a trade materialized. The playoffs continued and fully played through, and we worked into the off season. At this point with no news, I had assumed that was it, and started to prepare for the SHL. Literally a day before I was going to spend my TPE and get my player best suited for the next level of hockey. Artermis reached out and asked if I was still willing to be traded to play out year 4 in the SMJHL. I let him know I was, and he went right to work.

Once again I must give it to my old GM, he was all for sending me to a friend as he worked on possible trades. I let him know it did not matter where he sent me I just wanted to setup the Knights the best I could for the future, I figured only competing teams would try to acquire a grizzled vet on his last run. A few more days and I got word a trade had been worked out. After a few more days it was announced just before the draft, and I was on my way to Maine!

It will be a strange year for myself, I am moving onto a new roster, new home, new locker room. While I am beyond happy to have another chance on a new team, there will be a part of me that wonders if this was the right call. That said there is no regrets, everyone in Maine is fantastic, so is everyone in Kelowna. For the first time since coming into the league I am not 100% certain of my role, but these things tend to work themselves out, so I am not worried about it. Will I finally see myself reach my true potential I believe Logan Webb has for juniors? Will it be another mediocre season with no real growth? Will I finally win that elusive Four Star Cup a player of mine has never held? Good god I hope so. But no matter what, this is the last run in juniors for a very long time, here is hoping that it is worth while and most importantly I have a little bit of fun.

No matter what happens this season I know of a couple of certainties. 1. I have given juniors everything I could. 2. I am going to the SHL next season. 3. It will be one hell of a way to finish this chapter of my player’s career.

So, what is the lesson to be learned from all of this you maybe asking. Well for you young players I hope you take a few things. Have open honest dialog with your GMs, Artermis and I have been open from the very start of my time with the Knights and I am grateful for it. Let them know your head space and what is important to you. Each of us have different goals, so the only way to build on that or achieve it, is to be open and honest. Also, part of the game is negotiation and acting like a real person who wants something, don’t take away from that aspect of the game and just sit on a team because “it is the right thing to do” or you don’t want to be that guy who runs from a team, it can take away from your personal enjoyment. Enjoy your time we are only here for fun. And for me, in juniors, One Last Ride.

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

Hope you have a good year in the Maine

[Image: hbtB38x.png]
                                                  Canada Knights Monarchs Thank you Enigmatic for the sig!  Monarchs Knights Canada
                                                                      [Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Monarchs Knights [Image: YADp0uU.png]