Create Account

[2x Draft] The Nicest Picks of the Last 30 Seasons

Here are the nicest picks of the last 30 seasons. Some teams understand the assignment, others just don't get it. 

Season 74 - #69 - Monarchs Minnesota Monarchs - Brandon Strongstick - user: Dynamicmlb_42

Aptly named Brandon Strongstick was selected by the Minnesota Monarchs with the nicest pick of the SHL draft this season. A mid/low earner, but still active on the site. We could see some upside to this pick. Buying 24 TPE worth of training is a step in the right direction for a player taken in the fourth round. Strongstick is skilled across the board with a slight weakness in defense, but still overall respectable for a 251 TPE player. Good physical attributes and ability to get open will allow this smaller Right Wings to possibly make an impact in the future. For now, they are occupying a roster spot with Great Falls of the SMJHL. With four Right Wings in the Minensota prospect pool above Strongstick at the moment, they will have a lot of work to do to keep up the pace and come out on top as one for the nicest comebacks in draft history. Wishing the best to Brandon Strongstick and user Dynamicmlb_42

Season 73 - #69 -  Steelhawks  Hamilton Steelhawks - Pass

Hamilton fumbled the bag in Season 73 and failed to pick a player in this coveted spot. Let's hope it doesn't come back to bite them and they are one perfect player short in their quest to reclaim former glory. 

Season 72 - #69 -  Steelhawks  Hamilton Steelhawks - Pass

Double-time F for Hamilton. Do better. 

Season 71 - #69 - Blizzard  Edmonton Blizzard - Theodore Svatos - user: HabsFanFromOntario

Is this considered pick tampering? The GM picking themselves in the nicest pick of the draft? Svatos is the 6th best earner in the S71 class and easily on the way to being the nicest nice pick in recent history. With high offensive prowess as a Right Wing, points should flow easily for Svatos after making the jump to the SHL this upcoming season. Svatos finished up their SMJHL career in Yukon last season with 71 points in 66 games. He paced the Malamutes with 33 goals in only 19:35 average ice time. If you can believe it, that point total is a downgrade from the past two seasons: prolific 91 and 81 point seasons accumulated for Svatos in S71 and S72. Unfortunately for Svatos, that decreased point total cost him the junior 300 point mark - finishing his four year career with 299. One of the better junior players and a for sure steal in the fourth round of the SHL draft. 

Season 70 - #69 -  Rage Manhattan Rage - Pass

It is really sad to see all these teams passing on what could be a franchise player in the making. Look at this, you pass on the pick and it costs me words in a double draft article because I can't write about your potential prospect. smh. 

Season 69 - #69 -  Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - Patrick Beaumont - user: Southie

Ah, yes, the one we were all waiting for. Luckily for Southie, they were able to nab the coveted spot. Unluckily for New England, Southie retired Patrick Beaumont less than one full season after his creation. Gone, but never forgotten. But in all honesty, that is totally on brand for a four players in seven seasons storyline. In what had the potential to be the greatest turnaround ever turned to ashes in our mouths. Patrick Beaumont never played a game in the SMJHL or SHL.

Season 68 - #69 -  Dragons Calgary Dragons - Pass

I get it, no one good is there, but c'mon, give the people what they want. 

Season 67 - #69 -  Aurora Winnipeg Aurora - Pass

My own camp. Ace and Rashford, how could you? 

Season 66 - #69 -  Stars Toronto North Stars - Pass

The doldrums. 

Season 65 - #69 -  Wolfpack - Jayson Aittokallio - user: luke

Another GM, another nice pick. Almost a 2k player, second line D on a cup level team this past year. Before that, a mid/top tier C on a cup winning team. While we can't say HOF may be in the future, getting that quality in the fourth round is criminal, even if it is a GM pick. 395 career points in 528 games is decent, much better than most of the scrubs picked before him. Makes you think if you should apply to be a GM, create a powerhouse team, and draft your farmed skill with a gimme in the fourth round. Maybe I know what the S80s have in store for me. :eyes:

Season 64 - #69 - Forge Philadelphia Forge - Duke MacDonald-Gagne - user: Boomcheck

A depth D for Anchorage in the SMJHL for three seasons, he never really amounted to anything. At least they can say they were one for the nicest picks of the era. They never played in the SHL and retired uneventfully. Too bad. 

Season 63 - #69 -  Stars Toronto North Stars - Pass

Toronto is now tied with Hamilton for the most nice passes in recent draft history. This is a top spot you do not want. 

Season 62 - #69 -  Inferno Atlanta Inferno - Pass

Although there were players taken right around this spot, the nicest pick went unused. Shame. 

Season 61 - #69 -  Monarchs Minnesota Monarchs - Barry B. Benson - user: MichaelLum30

Even though they have a nice, clean bank balance of $20m and some activity tied to the user, Barry B. Benson was mostly a failure. One WJC Gold (which is nice) is the best thing tied to their name. Which, honestly, is more hardware than a lot of you others on the site. May his name rest in peace.

Season 60 - #69 - Stars Toronto North Stars - Alf Magnusson - user: ml002

One more GM pick, and glad to see Toronto didn't skip out on another nice pick. After five seasons in Anchorage, accumulating 164 points in 330 games as a forward, Magnusson never did end up supporting the Toronto Objective in the SHL. He was retired at the end of the SMJHL run. Unfortunately nothing to write home about - ml002 stepped down as GM and Alf faded into the distance. 

Season 59 - #69 -  Stars Toronto North Stars - Pass

*pulls hair out*

Season 58 - #69 -  Aurora Winnipeg Aurora - Fufu Fufunci - User: lstinumber8

Probably the best name of the group, Fufuci never amounted to anything. User was online for 21 minutes and Fufu never even had an update thread. RIP to what could have been.

Season 57 - #69 -  Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - Pass

Yes, my writeups are getting shorter and shorter as I go along, but that doesn't mean you need to take away my material. 

Season 56 - #69 -  Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - Unga Bunga Lemme Smash - user: Pingy Pingu

Alright, we have a winner. Best name, aptly named for the nice pick, and a product of our dear Pingu. They never got to play in the SMJHL or SHL, which is the biggest shame in the world for the sole reason that they will never get a trading card made. Give me an OOGLEY BOOGLEY for the dearly departed. 

Season 55 - #69 -  Jets Winnipeg Jets - Pass

Wait for it...

Season 54 - #69 -  Jets Winnipeg Jets - Pass

Two seasons in a row.

Season 53 - #69 -  Jets Winnipeg Jets - Franz Eller - user: Ace

Winnipeg must have taken two seasons off from the nicest pick because they got such a gem in Franz Eller. Ace ended up going back to New England, so Eller never did play for the Jets but was traded. Eller did accumulate four gold IIHF medals over his shortened career, an impressive feat. His career was shorter than expected as mentioned by Ace in other media, but I can't imagine why he would go as low as the fourth round. Ah well, a good player at any price. 

Season 52 - #69 -  Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - Pass

Sadge. 

Season 51 - #69 -  Jets Winnipeg Jets - Daichi Franciszek - user: Daichi33

No update thread, the user lasted a season. RIP. 

Season 50 - #69 -  syndicate  Chicago Syndicate - Akira Ren - user: Velevra

A late GM pick once again, Ren holds the league record for plus/minus. A fantastic defenseman from the times of Chicago success. What could very well be a HOF career, Ren played for 17 seasons in Chicago, over 1000 games. By reaching 2k TPE, they are one of(if not the only?) nicest player to hit that milestone. Sadly, Velevra peaced out after the retirement of Ren and has not been seen from since. A nice pick and a fantastic career. 

Season 49 - #69 -  Renegades Texas Renegades - Pass

I guess Texas was just too good to take a nice pick. 

Season 48 - #69 -  Jets Winnipeg Jets - Pass

I swear, Winnipeg needs to redeem themselves.

Season 47 - #69 -  Renegades Texas Renegades - Pass

Leapfrogging now, huh?

Season 46 - #69 -  Dragons Calgary Dragons - Olin O'Dowd - user: Sour_Chin_Music

Recreate that reach 253 TPE. Nothing much of note. Faded into oblivion. He can claim he was the third player taken 69th overall. Poopity Scoop in Season 44 and Jesus Rivera in Season 5 were the first two. 

Season 45 - #69 -  Platoon West Kendall Platoon - Pass

Fail.

So there you go. Now you know. Go forth and be nice. 

(1600 words)

[Image: DqlVneu.png][Image: FVlMRDN.png][Image: q30YniK.png]

Credit to enigmatic, Merica, and tweedledunn for sigs

Nice

[Image: F84OPdM.jpeg]
Shoutout TheOPSquid for the Sig

Nice

[Image: TROYMCCLURE.gif]
Colorado Raptors Capitan S42-Until Forever!
Czechia Wants you! Ask about a transfer!!

Niiiiiiiice

[Image: A3AlstA.png]

Nice

[Image: TheOPSquid.gif]

Oogely Boogely

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

Nice!

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
 [Image: 5tu6.png] [Image: bdzv.jpeg]

What can I say other then I have commitment issues.

There has to be a better #69 pick for EDM in it's whole history than that Svatos guy.....

[Image: 4cvtDWE.jpeg]
Edmonton Blizzard Co-GM
Yukon Malamutes Hall of Fame
[Image: NwdnVLP.png][Image: fDB9MNX.png] 
[Image: 3j8MIXU.png]
Granny Panpan Count: 258