Create Account

S74 SMJHL First Round Mock Draft [2x Draft Media]

DRAFT RELATED MEDIA FOR 2X BONUS PLEASE

What’s up SMJHL and SHL. My name is Repgnar and I’m poor. In an attempt to temporarily fix that I’m going to talk about the upcoming SMJHL draft as someone that doesn’t know much about the league. As a result, don’t use this article as a basis for your precious TPE predictions as its most likely wildly off-base. Instead, I’m going to take a look at a few teams that stand out in the draft and attempt to throw a guess at who goes where in the first round. The decision on which pick goes where will rely on a mix of roster needs, sim leagues’ reputation/connections, and a lot of guessing. Emphasis on the guessing. Since I’m not familiar with the league just yet I’ll likely miss some obvious picks based on where users have a reputation for playing at and things that you really only learn with time. Instead, draft picks will be treated from a sim point of view with rosters that are short on certain positions electing to take that position group where it makes sense. I know scouting conversations and sim league reputation is going to have the heaviest weight when it comes to actually making a pick but I simply don’t have that knowledge. If anything, the position may be somewhat more accurate than the user actually selected but it’s a bit of a roulette game to get these right without being in a war room.

I wanted to first take a look at how the draft itself is shaking out. The first thing that’s front and center is the Carolina Kraken’s 1OA and 2OA pick. The Kraken find themselves in a great spot when it comes to this draft with all the active users. The easiest option is to simply pick the two best users that stand out to them in scouting. No one would fault them for putting in the legwork early and taking best available player. And then doing that immediately again with the second pick. I could see them taking a known recreate to the locker room and a potential new create as well. The other option would be to throw either pick on the board and look to get some value in the second or third round. For instance, a team like the Maine Timber could trade their 14th overall pick and another pick in the second round and I think both teams would be relatively happy. While Carolina is picking first they didn’t have the worst season last year. Turning a high pick into 2 solid earning picks (While also keeping the other high pick) could see Carolina speeding up the process to improve. Not to mention they already have two picks in the second. Keep an eye on this franchise in the next season or two if they manage to keep the upcoming picks active. An already good team, like the Timbers, would be able to add what they view as an All-Star user to an already solid squad. Honestly, if I were in Carolina’s shoes I think I would push for a two for one trade and look to stock up on average to above average picks rather than holding onto both opening picks.

Another team with two picks in the first round would be the Quebec City Citadelles. Not only do they have a great Team name and logo but they’re looking to be positioned in a great spot for the near future. They had a positive record last season before losing in the first round of the playoffs. This is another roster that looks to have a bright future with a roster heavy in the S74 class. The roster currently has five S72 players, one S73 (Shoutout Ryland Murphy), and a massive eleven players from S75. I looked at other teams to see how this team composition stacked up. St. Louis and Colorado had the second most users from S74 with nine but most teams hovered around five or so. What this shows to me is a window is very close to opening for the Citadelles. I’d like to see Quebec City add two great users here that are looking to earn fast and earn a lot. This will allow Quebec to add some key franchise pieces that’ll match their S74 core and maybe even pass a few people in that class.

On the other end of the spectrum you have the Great Falls Grizzlies. I’m new to the league so won’t delve too much on how these teams landed where they’re at. But with the Grizzlies having a league-low (tied with Kelowna) 48 points season and no first round pick that has got to be tough for the franchise in the short term. Thankfully they’ll be picking at 2.01 and 3.01 which should still provide solid additions. Their current roster does lean a little more towards S74 as well so their roster overall should improve with age. I don’t think they make enough additions in this class to see an immediate impact but the S76 class should start to see the tides turn for these Grizzlies.

The only other team without a first round pick would be the Kelowna Knights who you may recognize as the other team with a league low 48 points last season. Their roster has quite a few more players spread out from S72 to S74 compared to the Grizzlies. The Knights will also be picking 2.02 and 3.02 but their more balanced roster may allow them to see success a little more quicker than Great Falls. If they can add contributing members in these rounds I think the league will see them as a mid-ranked playoff team this next season and a real contender the following. Unfortunately for them I think their window will be quite a bit shorter than the Grizzlies so there’s a bit more of a focus needed with these next two draft classes for them to perform.

One last group I want to take a look at is the Vancouver Whalers. They led the league with 97 points (with the next closest being Maine at 85) and an impressive 47 wins. This roster appears to be a somewhat balanced roster. I’m not sure if they simply lost a lot of S71 players or if they’re a smaller, balanced roster that simply did great on the ice. I’m leaning towards a ton of departures as there’s no S71 players currently on the TPE Portal in the SMJHL. Compared to other teams their roster-size was quite a bit smaller so we’ll have to see how they perform in the next season. They have three picks in the late third round but otherwise have their own picks in the first and second rounds. They certainly should be proud of their regular season performance but if they are dealing with a ton of departures from S71 its unfortunate the sim didn’t give them a ring to end the season. This squad may be dealing with a bit of retooling and not many early picks. I think we see the Whalers slide a bit back from their amazing season last year but should still be relevant when it comes to the playoffs.

Alright, so with a few teams for the draft highlighted lets jump into the picks. I’m not going to simulate draft trades as there’s simply too many moving parts.
1.      Carolina Kraken  Kraken – Their roster is extremely heavy on the Center Position so I could see them grab a wing player here. Currently they have Walter Melon at Left Wing and both Cob O’Corn and Chris Robertson at Right Wing. I say they grab a Left Wing player here in Akoustique’s Andrade La Sombra. A great multi-sim user that would be a welcomed addition to any locker room and currently leads Left Wings with 209 TPE.
2.      Carolina Kraken [b]Kraken[/b] – With another Left Wing selected for the future I’d like to see the Kraken help their young goalie with a defensive pick. They currently have 2 Right and Left defensive players but the left side of the ice is a season away from the auto call up with both players being S72. I think Carolina replaces that old wiz in the near future with Halkohol’s Niclas Sundqvist. Niclas leads the Left Defense class with 210 TPE.
3.      Colorado Raptors  Raptors – Colorado is extremely heavy on the Right Defense position so I see them staying clear of selecting another. Another team with a young goalie and only one Left Defense player I think we see them shore up that lack of depth. Left defense is the only position group that I see causing them an issue and with Carolina already taking one off the board I think Colorado feels the pressure to lock up moully’s Pom Purin at 189 TPE. A fellow new create to the SHL, they appear to be keeping up with the class since joining on the 6th of November
4.      St. Louis Scarecrows  Scarecrows – Someone tell St Louis that Carolina has all the centers. This is the position group that stands out to me with only 1 center currently rostered. Yet another high value draft pick team with a S74 goalie, is there a big correlation between goalie TPE and win success similar to QBs and the ISFL? Regardless, St. Louis has a goalie in Mr Plow for the foreseeable future and the defense looks well-stocked. I see the first center taken off the board with Amidship’s Edouard Lavoie. Not only is Amidship’s center leading the Center group with 214 TPE but is tied for the most in the class with a handful of other users at the top. Another well-stablished multi-sim user.
5.      Quebec City Citadelles  Citadelles – Probably the most balanced roster we’ve seen so far. As alluded to before I think Quebec is set up well for the future and has a bit of flexibility here to select best user available and isn’t obligated to restrict themselves to a specific position group. I’m going to call on my ISFL knowledge here and say they take swoosh’s Teemu Salami at Right Wing. Another user with 214 TPE, swoosh has been a great user over in the ISFL and should be viewed as a high pick if not higher than five overall.
6.      Anchorage Armada  Armada – It looks like the remoteness of Alaska and call ups of the S71 class has left the fleet with no Left Defense. It makes it a no brainer for Anchorage to find a replacement ASAP for their two S74 goalies and select BeringeiBeringei’s Jurijs Ralfs at Left Defense. Yet another New create at this position I think these early picks start to see an emphasis on Left Defense players a bit earlier than their TPE may show.
7.      Quebec City Citadelles [b]Citadelles[/b] – QCC appears again for the 7th overall pick and not much has changed since pick 5. I think we see Quebec pick another user leading the class in TPE and with a well-known sim league reputation. While I haven’t shared any league spaces with them I have seen the name around quite a bit and with them joining in 2020 they’re loaded with a 131 million bank account. Kyamprac’s Mia Lavoie at Right Wing is selected and should be viewed as a safe pickup for the Citadelles.
8.      Detroit Falcons  Falcons – A roster that is HEAVY on Left Defense but overall very balanced when we take a look at the other position groups. A larger roster on the portal which makes me think they weren’t too impacted by S71 call ups. I think Detroit will have a bit of flexibility here and likely select best player available based on scouting conversations. With a pick this late in the first and the flexibility to go anywhere with the pick will be quite beneficial. With only three users remaining at 214 I went with the user that has been here the longest with crutch’s Carter Crutchfield at Right Defense. The Right handed side of the roster is pretty slim with only 2 Defense and 2 Wings so I think this pick lines up well sim-wise to help that young core of the right ice.
9.      Regina Elk  Elk – The Elks have a pretty clear lack of depth at Center. Lemorse7’s Red Panda is the sole center on a roster of fourteen players. Left Wing is another position that could be pulled in as CloudRobot’s Mac Turner is the only Left wing. Thankfully for Regina both position groups have quite a few options at this point in the draft. We’ll take leviadan’s Pinli Switchbang at Center off the board here. At 210 TPE and another user that created in 2020, the Regina Elks can lock up an established user at a position of need.
10.  Nevada Battleborn  Battleborn – While the Elk and Battleborn share a similar animal logo, they also share the fact that they’re quite heavy on one position group. 7 Left Wings are currently rostered here while they only have one Right Defense. With only one Right Defense selected so far Nevada should have a few options here. Lets go with Seb’s Sebastien Levesque at Right Defense. Another established sim league user but a new create to the SHL, the Battleborn would get a great user in the community and also shore up a clear lack of depth at Right Defense. Win win.
11.  Yukon Malamutes  Malamutes – Yukon currently has one Left Defense on the roster with ViN’s Jaxson Reaper. Unfortunately for Yukon with the early run of Left Defense players it could prove to be difficult to grab someone here depending on how the early picks go. With only three Left Defense players here I see Yukon having to pivot. I’m not sure how flexible the depth chart is when it comes to playing Left vs Right defense but maybe the Malamutes pick the best Right Defense if the sim allows it. Lets go with jacobcarson877’s Olivija Agate. One of the last few 214 earners in the class, Yukon may not have the perfect answer for their roster needs but locks up a high earner that should be able to make it work.
12.  Vancouver Whalers  Whalers  – With a roster that appears to be decimated by call ups I think this ultimately makes it easier for the Whalers to make a solid pick. With Center being the most represented position group I see them going for best user available that isn’t a center. The connection in the ISFL between electrictree and baz makes me think the Whalers grab baz’s Literally Wizard at Left Wing. The two current Left Wings on Vancouver are S73 so by picking up a S75 player here they help spread out any future call up impacts hopefully.
13.  Newfoundland Berserkers  Berserkers  – The only position group that stands out to me here is the Right Defense with only Scrizz’s Temetrius Jamel “Ja” Morant Wick. A S74 pick up, the Right Defense position group could use some love even with Scrizz’s solid earning. Thankfully for the Beserkers brickwall35’s Journey Man is still available and the last user at 214 TPE. While TPE isn’t a deal breaker this early in the class I think Newfoundland wants to get someone dependable and in this position so Journey Man lines up well.
14.  Maine Timber  Timber  – And for the last pick in the first round we see the Maine Timber have a bit of flexibility. Overall the positions are pretty balanced with a slight lean towards the left side of the ice. Left Wings are clearly abundant in Maine which makes me think we go Right or Center. I think we see Hordle’s Fredrik Gronlund taken off the board at Right Defense. While the S75 class is quite heavy on Centers and Right Defense, I think Hordle’s early activity in the season and the fact that he created his account in 2020 makes Maine go with a known user.

DRAFT RELATED MEDIA FOR 2X BONUS PLEASE
2600+ Words
Writer's Note: Wanted to add that I wrote this earlier in the week. After quite a few scouting convo's I'm more familiar with positional needs being pretty flexible when it comes to offensive/defensive-minded players and left versus right. Just to reiterate, do not use this for your actual prediction.