Create Account

Junior Hockey Magazine: Bloodlines Run Deep

[Image: oAXlvNu.jpg?1]
JUNIOR HOCKEY MAGAZINE : BLOODLINES RUN DEEP

It's the eve of the S74 SMJHL Entry Draft and a lot of unknown looms over the draft class. There are a lot of talented players in the class as showcased by some big time prospects like Ongo Gablogian, Warwick Windsor, Carter Crutchfield and Fredrik Gronlund in a loaded right defense group. Edouard Lavoie, Andrade La Sombra, Mia Lavoie and Inge Baardsen lead a stacked forward unit one name that entered the draft class recently has some scouts buzzing. That prospect is Niclas Wastlund and if that name rings any bells its because it's the same name as the former SHL GM of the Los Angeles Panthers and SHL HOF member, Niclas Wastlund. As confusing as it sounds, it's not as confusing when it comes to the Wastlund family tree.

The HOF Wastlund is the grandfather of the S74 SMJHL Prospect and if that wasn't enough SHL Bloodlines for you, his father is Fredrik Wastlund as in S28 Scott Stevens Trophy and Sarmad Khan Winner Fredrik Wastlund. So as you can see there is a lot of family history in the last name Wastlund, so for the third generation to finally make it's way to the SMJHL/SHL the scouts quickly made some trips to Los Angeles, California to meet and see what Niclas is made of.

Billed as a two-way playmaking defenseman, Niclas has all of the tools to be a name you'll find on the score sheet game in and game out. While he does have an accurate shot and it was able to find the back of the net 22 times last season for his hometown Los Angeles Typhoon of the WHL, it the ability to locate his teammates anywhere on the ice with a crisp pass that will most likely put them in scoring position as evident of his 63 assists good enough for fifth in league wide totals. His 85 points was good enough for second on his team and he even garnered a lot of interest from the NHL as well but it was last week when his announcement to enter the SMJHL Draft was big enough to shock his family.

Wastlund (now retired) was surprised to hear of his grandson's decision, "I was for sure expecting him to go to the NHL to be honest. But I guess all those years of being around the Panthers organization and the SHL really helped make his choice. I'm pretty excited to see where he will be playing after the draft," the elder Niclas said.

We had a short chance to talk to Niclas to dive a little deeper into his pre-draft interests and season outlook;

JHM: Thank you for taking some time to speak with us Niclas, I'm sure you're busy with all the pre-draft workouts, we won't take too much of your time. Starting off as your grandfather said, your family expected you to go the route of the NHL what changed your mind?

Niclas Wastlund (NW): Thank you for having me and to answer your question I honestly had no other dream but to become an SHL star. I love the NHL but from an early age with my last name on my jersey, my future was in the SHL.

JHM: That's great to hear and obviously your last name is well written throughout the SHL history with your grandfather and his storied career, your father Fredrik had a short career but ended with a bang and your Uncle Grim well, my condolences on his passing. Do you think there is any added pressure for you with your last name being etched into the league so deep?

NW: Of course there is but I love it. I know my family has a strong history and I want to only build on it with my career. My grandfather and father had shorter careers in the SHL but they had great ones, I don't want just a great one, but I want a legendary one. I want to win championships, win awards and one day Niclas Wastlund will be in the SHL HOF, not just for GM.

JHM: Looking ahead to tonight's SMJHL Entry Draft, how has the pre-draft experience been? Has any of the teams reached out to you? Do you have any teams you prefer to play for?

NW: The experience has been awesome so far. With entering the WHL I wasn't really surprised to go to the Typhoon in the draft as I had close ties with the GM (Typhoon GM is former LA Panther forward Max Mauldin) but going into the SMJHL Draft I'm really blind as to where my future home will be and thats exciting. I have spoken with a small number of teams so far which I'm not super surprised at since I only announced a week ago. The teams that have approached me have been awesome and some of them I am really looking forward to possibly putting on their jersey. As far as a list of teams I'd prefer to go I have made it known to the teams that reached out my interest in them. I did make a small list of organizations I like based on their logo which is actually a factor for me;
(PLAYER NOTE: I'll make it known none of this is enough to make me not want to play for your team but for my personal happiness: )

Quote:Great Logos (in no order: ) Vancouver Whalers , Maine Timber , Carolina Kraken , Newfoundland Berserkers , St. Louis Scarecrows  and Quebec City Citadelles

Solid Logos: Anchorage  Armada and Kelowna Knights

Meh Logos (In order: ) Detroit (much to my fathers dismay) Falcons ,Regina Elk , Great Falls Grizzlies , Nevada Battleborn , Colorado Raptors , and Yukon Malamutes

JHM: Thank you for taking your time out to speak with us and good luck tonight in the draft.

NW: Thank you for having me.

1052 Words (does that still matter?)

[Image: NiclasWastlund26.gif]
#40 Niclas Wastlund - W - VANCOUVER WHALERS Whalers / MINNESOTA MONARCHS Monarchs
[Image: vlPUU9v.png][Image: ammBPLt.png][Image: rnZeas5.png][Image: V9MXpXR.png]