Create Account

Seattle Argonauts announce plans to honour Podcalzone & Salming for 1000 SHL games

The Seattle Argonauts are extremely happy and proud to invite everyone to celebrate and honour one of the biggest milestone, 1000 SHL games, a single player can achieve. This time parties are bigger than ever because two franchise icons, legends and draft picks from the first-ever draft class of the Argonauts (S56) achieve that milestone together at the same time. They join an exclusive club of players who have played 1000 SHL games in one franchise. The official 1000th SHL regular season game of captain Vaseline Podcalzone and alternate captain William Salming will be played at Manhattan on October 23, 2040. In another universe that is today December 6, 2023.

Official ceremonies will be held in the next home game against Philadelphia Forge, October 25, 2040. Before the game outside of the arena fans can buy new merchandise. There will be a limited edition of special t-shirts, scarfs, hoodies, beanies, caps, dress shirts, game pucks, posters and authentic game-worn jerseys with signatures of Podcalzone and Salming in them. Inside of the arena fans will receive a bobble head of either Podcalzone or Salming for a memory. We ask fans to arrive early because the ceremony will begin 30 minutes before the game. The current GM of the franchise Landon Fischermann will open it with his speech. After that, fans can see on the jumbotron a tribute video about Podcalzone's and Salming's best and most memorable moments as an Argonauts. The next thing to happen is a greeting from the city of Seattle.

In the end of the ceremony the current GM Landon Fischermann will reward Podcalzone and Salming from the behalf of the whole Argonauts' organisation. Luukas Lilja, who centered 2nd line of Salming-Lilja-Podcalzone in the first Challenge Cup win of the franchise in season 67 and scored the cup-winning goal to clinch a back-to-back title in season 68, will assist him. We have also asked permission from Baltimore Platoon for Max Manning, a line mate of Podcalzone and Salming in a back-to-back Challenge Cup win on season 68, to attend the event and perform a ceremonial puck drop. We are glad they accepted our proposal because Baltimore has two off days before and after 25th of October.

To end this press release, here are some quotes from Vaseline, William and people who know them very well:

Kermit "notorioustig" Murphy, first GM (S56-S68) of the Argonauts:

"When I was preparing for the S56 draft, the first in Argonauts history, I knew it was a chance to set a foundation in place and bring in the first homegrown stars of the franchise. What I didn't know is that I'd be drafting THE stars of the franchise, the measuring sticks that all future Argonauts would have to attempt to live up to. To have 3 of our S56 draftees in Podcalzone, Salming, and Centerman still playing in blue in gold almost 20 seasons later is a testament to the culture they helped create and the love they have for the team and city of Seattle. With the 1000th game coming for Podcalzone and Salming, it's just yet another incredible achievement in two incredible careers that will stand forever as legends in Seattle. It was an honour to work with both of these men and lifting back to back cups alongside them will be something I cherish forever. Congrats Vaseline and William on 1000 games - VAMOS."

Benson "adamantium" Fiorentini, second GM (S69-S73) of the Argonauts:

"Podzy and Salming have been the backbone of the org through thick and thin, no doubt. From the early days, to the cup runs, to the lean years into the rebuild, there's been no two more consistent people on that squad than Vasy and Salms. For them to hit a thousand games and do it in Seattle is the kind of thing you make movies about a decade or so after they retire. Those two guys bleed blue and gold and I don't know that there's anyone else that I would've trusted with leading the team into the rebuild than them. Two cups is no small feat and having vets like that in the room to guide the young bucks is an absolute blessing for the new management team. Happy that in my short tenure I got to have locker room leaders like them."

Landon "efischermann" Fischermann, current GM (S74->) of the Argonauts:

"It is an absolute honor to be the General Manager while two Argonaut legends reach this incredible milestone. 1,000 games is something to be incredibly proud of. I know that I have only been in charge here for a short time, but I have had the honor to play with these two for a long time, and can honestly say they are two franchise cornerstones. It goes without saying that both players will end up in the Argonaut Hall of Fame, but they are so much more than that. They have been such an integral part of multiple championship teams and an incredibly important part of the locker room environment we have created in Seattle. It is humbling to be in their presence and an honor to be able to call them friends, teammates and fellow champions. To commemorate this amazing achievement, the Seattle Argonauts are proud to award both players with the 1,000 games played astronaut helmet. I am glad to see it end up on such good looking heads. Argos for life!!!"

Vaseline "yosh" Podcalzone, captain of the Seattle Argonauts:

"Even before I was drafted by the Argonauts at the Season 56 entry draft, part of me really wanted to get that chance to join an expansion team and help them carve out the start of their history. Getting drafted 23rd overall by Seattle was a huge honor, and it really is hard to imagine how fast the time has passed. I mean, we're both about to reach 1000 career regular season games with this team. There's been some great memories for sure. Winning back to back Challenge Cups was an incredible accomplishment and easily the highlight of my SHL career. I've always made it clear that I want to spend my entire career here in Seattle, and the fact that I've been fortunate enough to spend fifteen, going on sixteen, full seasons with the team is truly a blessing."

William Salming, alternate captain of Seattle Argonauts:

"In another universe my home land Finland celebrates its Independence Day today 6th of December. What are the odds that at the same day I will play my 1000th regular season game in the best hockey league in the world? I have to admit it is a little bit touching coincidence. It is a crazy achievement and I am very grateful for Tig for his trust in me. Like Vaseline, I hoped secretly to be picked by an expansion team because I like challenges and had already expansion team experience from Quebec City. I was a 44th overall selection in the entry draft of season 56. Since then, I have used that draft number for a some kind of motivation to prove I am a better player than just a third-round pick. I have enjoyed grinding my way from bottom lines towards bigger role in every new environment whether in Quebec City (232 gp 49+85=134, +60), Seattle (996gp 237+527=764, +80) or national team. The journey has been amazing and I have to thank so many people who have made it possible for me to play 1000 SHL games and have a very successful career.

When I was just a young kid in the Citadelles, GM duo of Evok and Faelax teached me essentials about what is winning hockey, healthy culture and responsible two-way game. I wouldn't stand here today without their advices. In the Finnish national team Carpy and JURT created also an excellent atmosphere which helped us to win three IIHF championships in five seasons. I learned a lot from their dedication. Thank you also for the management of Finnish junior national team when I played there. And finally here in Seattle I have had so many mentors that it is impossible to name them all. Under the guidance of Tig and his co-GM's details in my two-way game improved season by season. There were also numerous experienced players like Darrow, Johnson, Sutherland, Kane, Scarn, Vanice and Darzins who I looked up when I was called up finally for season 59. The leadership group has always been full of good people. I want to say thank you to all my team mates during these 15 full seasons. You have been superb.

Best memories are for sure those back-to-back titles and all the fantastic people I have met during these years but I still smile too when I think back my first SHL point. It was an assist for Podcalzone's first SHL goal so he got the puck for a memory which was correct. It was a debut game for both us and despite the loss it was positive to get a point immediately in the first period to relieve some pressure and excitement. I had beforehand a little bit experience for playing against adults from IIHF tournaments but I was still nervous to take my first steps as a rookie among the very best players in the planet. It is pretty unique that we are still 1000 games later playing in the same line with Vaseline even though there were maybe one or two seasons when we were separated but most of the time we have been a solid winger duo, you could say. Podcalzone has been an incredible leader on and off the ice. Best example is his cup-winning goal in season 67. It was well deserved and went for a right guy.

Of course we hoped for to play a milestone game in front of our loyal home fans but SHL's schedule makers disagreed. But we have so great memories for playing against Manhattan and beating it two years in a row in game seven of the finals that it is cool to play our 1000th game at Manhattan too. It will be a special night. The atmosphere in Seattle two days later against Philadelphia is also something I really look forward to. Thanks for your support during all these seasons, Argonauts fans."

[Image: salming.png]

Argos legends  Argonauts Argonauts Argonauts

[Image: A3AlstA.png]

Congrats on a huge milestone!

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Amazing! 1000 games is ridiculous, congrats

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

Congrats on a huge milestone and a career full of success!

[Image: RAmenAmen.gif]
sig credit: Ragnar, Sulovilen, Enigmatic, Bayley
[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png] [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: RAmenAmenPride.gif]

<3

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

when former argonaut Edward Williams was asked for a quote: "I played for Seattle?"

[Image: UCTqPUg.png]

What an honour to hit 1000 games played on the same day as you after all this time.

Vamos.

[Image: Keven.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic, @Matteo, @sulovilen, @zeagle1, and @TheOPSquid for all the sigs!
Czechia Malamutes Rage Czechia
Canada Citadelles pride syndicate

Vamos!

[Image: Oqsvuu4.png]
FranceCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersFrance

Such an incredible duo!!! Lucky to have them in Seattle!!!

[Image: m59RPb7.png] | [Image: FcWmVTl.png]

S61 Four Star Cup - Game-Winning Goal in the clinching Game 4
[Image: unknown.png]

[Image: efischermann.gif]

Congratulations! Worked with these two at training camp after Seattle drafted me this past draft, and they're nothing but class acts. True veterans of the game, and lovely people all around.

:handshake:

[Image: valpix.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: d9J5DHT.png]
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard 
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: valpixpride.gif]

VAMOS Argonauts

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: gospklL.png]

Vamos

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]