Create Account

Contenders to Anchors
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2023, 04:46 PM by spidey. Edited 4 times in total.)

We are about two thirds of the way into the season.  While nothing is truly locked yet, we do seem to have a clearer idea of the upcoming playoff picture.  With that in mind let’s take a look at whom are the Contenders, Sustainers, Pretenders and Anchors to season 74.  What is each category?

Contender:
A team that is high in the standings for their conference that has a real opportunity to win the cup with their current roster. 

Sustainers:
A mid team that is middle standings, they could be building towards a cup run or on the decline about to face a rebuild.

Pretenders:
They are not in the right place in the standings, they might be a Sustainer over exceeding or a contender lower in the standings than they should be.

Anchor:
Bottom of the league, there for a reason, hopefully a rebuild is well underway.

Standings:
Edmonton Blizzard: 37 – 6 – 1
Philadelphia Forge: 31 – 8 – 4
Baltimore Platoon: 31 – 12 – 4
Buffalo Stampede: 31 – 9 – 3
Texas Renegades: 31 – 12 – 2
Atlanta Inferno: 30 – 11 – 4
Tampa Bay Barracudas: 28 – 15 – 2
New England Wolfpack: 27 – 13 – 4
Chicago Syndicate: 26 – 17 – 2
Los Angeles Panthers: 25 – 17 – 3
Hamiton Steelhawks: 24 – 18 – 4
New Orleans Specters: 23 – 15 – 5
Winnipeg Aurora: 22 – 18 – 4
San Fransico Pride: 20 – 23 – 2
Minnesota Monarchs: 18 – 21 – 3
Toronto North Stars: 17 – 25 – 3
Calgary Dragons: 14 – 32 – 1
Manhattan Rage: 7 – 38 – 1
Seattle Argonauts: 4 – 41 – 1
Montreal Patriotes: 1 – 40 – 3

Blizzard Edmonton Blizzards: CONTENDERS Blizzard

There is no doubt the defending Challenge Cup Champions have the means to become back to back winners and they are going all in to make it happen.  Trading away Blue Chip young player Furious Chicken to acquire another elite defender in Isaac Forty-One to truly round out their roster this season and moving forward.  They are so deep in every position it is ridiculous.  With no weaknesses on their roster, they are the cup favorites.

HOW DOES THIS PREDICITION CHANGE:
The only way Edmonton does not at least make the playoffs, or go on a deep run, is if their GMs get caught up in with the Mafia owing them money and purposely setup line ups and strategies to fail while riding their backup goalie through the rest of the season.

Forge Philadelphia Forge: CONTENDER Forge

For the quarter of the season Philadelphia was playing good hockey but just below their potential while other teams were playing above their potential.  Over the second quarter and last few games they have really amped up their play and moved into a more expected positioning for the reigning Eastern Conference Champs.  Now that they have found their grove they just need to continue to play their hockey and they will have continued success as they push for a deep cup run.

HOW DOES THIS PREDICITON CHANGE:
The east is deeper than the west in terms of talented teams ready to push.  IF they do not finish in the top 2 in the Eastern standings, a mid-team could catch them by surprise and knock them out of the first round.  This is a bit of a long shot, but it is possible with how close the race in the East can be.

Platoon Baltimore Platoon: PRETENDERS Platoon

Ok, don’t throw the hate on me just quite yet and hear me out.  First Baltimore has exceeded all my predictions for where I expected them to be at this point in the season.  They are one of my cusp teams.  I know they are a playoff team that part is not a pretender, but they are not a cup contender, YET!  They are so close.  I think with the right match up they will get through the first round.  But I believe they will likely be knocked out in the second round unless something shocking happens in the first round and they get a lucky match up.  I also do not believe they have a team ready to compete against the best of the East or West right now.  Next season, maybe, this season no.  So, for this season they are pretenders.

HOW DOES THIS PREDICTION CHANGE:
Like I said before they are a cusp team.  With a little luck and a great strategy, they could upset almost any team in the league.  I for one could see Sir Devoir going on a heater for the playoffs and limiting teams to one or two goals.  They have enough talent to easily score 2 – 4 goals a game.  This could be what is needed to win.

Stampede Buffalo Stampede: PRETENDERS Stampede

It is almost a forgone conclusion the Stampede will make the playoffs.  They could practically lose out the rest of the regular season and still have a good chance to make the playoffs at this point.  But you have to question if they believe the time is now after trading away an elite defender for a young blue chip one.  Clearly they know how to win, but I think a grueling 7 game series is going to push this roster and we won’t see a deep run.  Much like Baltimore they are a cusp team and I believe there are stronger options in the East.

2/3 of the way through the season and they have one of the best records in the league.  Clearly they know how to win.  If they continue to apply this into the playoffs they will exceed my pretender label.  They know how to get to the finals; they have been their recently before.  Can they continue to put together the right mix to push for a second time, it is possible.

Renegades Texas Renegades: CONTENDERS Renegades

I will be honest; I didn’t think the Renegades were this good before the season started.  But they have always had the right mix to be competitive. They also went all in before the season began with a big trade to bring in Petr Svoboda who has really helped elevate the Renegade to the next level.  During the early part of the season, they sat second in the league.  They are still in the top 6, so they have slowed down a little, but not a lot.  This is one of the few teams in the west that could dethrone the Blizzard.

They are a team built from the crease out.  They have a good offense, it is not one of the true elites of the league, they win a lot of games by being a better defensive team.  Obviously if you score more goals than an opponent you win the game.  But compared to other top teams, they do not have an elite goal scorer.  Meaning while they are good at shutting you down, it is not impossible to shut them down too.  Put in a few goals and keep them in check and you can beat them.

Inferno Atlanta Inferno: CONTENDERS Inferno

I know the players from Baltimore and Buffalo are cursing at me, but I believe Atlanta is in a better place to contend for a deep run.  Yes they have a mixed group on defense and a young goaltending core.  But their offense can be over whelming and more than make up for any defensive woes.  Hate this call all you want, but this team has shown time and again they have the ability to compete with the best in the league and they are going to make a deep playoff run.

HOW CAN THIS PREDICTION CHANGE:
A lot of this will fall on the head of superstar rookie goalie Ally Mathieson.  If they falter at any point this house of cards will fall.  A bad game, no problem, a bad couple of games during one series…that will be tough for this offense heavy roster to make up goals needed to win a series.

Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracudas: SUSTAINERS Barracuda

This is a cusp team, could they go on a cup run?  Sure, they could, they have enough talent and with a little luck they could go on a deep run.  Do I expect them to go on a run?  No, no I do not, They are the middle spot of the Eastern conference.  Their entire roster is good and growing but not quite elite yet.  My prediction, they make the playoffs, they will push into the second round (Depending on who they play) but that will be as far as they go.

Being a sustainer, I suppose that would mean I expect them to not make a run for the cup.  They have the ability to do it, like other cusp teams, they would need luck and the right strategies to take them to the next level. 

Wolfpack New England Wolfpack: CONTENDER Wolfpack
Have we really only had two other western conference teams so far!?!  See what I mean the East is pretty stacked.  For the Wolfpack, They are third in the west.  They are clearly a talented team with elite players and depth in all positions on the ice.  They should be a team that pushes both Texas and Edmonton when they eventually face one of them in the playoffs and could overtake them.  This is a Cup Contender in my opinion.

Make the playoffs, yes they will.  If they take their first round opponent too easily they could be surprised.  There are some talented teams sitting in the bottom half of the western conference and if they get a bad matchup they could easily be knocked out.

syndicate Chicago Syndicate: PRETENDERS syndicate

Chicago sits in 4th in the Western conference.  But something doesn’t seem right with that position.  Please do not get me wrong, they are a playoff team, but I do not expect them to go on a deep cup run.  And other than the standings the numbers seem to agree with me.  Perhaps the most telling is their goal for and against difference is only a +2 for the season.  Everyone else in a playoff position is above them right now (the Specters by 1).  This does not bode well for Chicago.

I can’t see any possibility of Chicago going on a deep run…but IF the sim gods decide to play a cruel joke on the rest of us and they decided to favor Chicago, I could see them making a perfect 16 – 0 – 0 run to win the cup.  It is either perfection by mercy of the sim god or nothing.

Panthers Los Angeles Panthers: CONTENDERS Panthers

This one hurts me to say this, but they have a very good up and coming young team that borders elite.  They may struggle when they come to play one of the top 3 teams in the West, but they have enough talent that beating anyone of them wouldn’t be a shock.  Offense, Defense, Goaltending…they have it all and they are only going to be getting better over the next few seasons. 

While they border elite, they are not quite there yet.  While I wouldn’t be surprised to see them beat one of the true elites in the West.  In turn I wouldn’t be surprised if the opposite was true, and a sustainer or pretender beat them in the first or second round.  Let’s call them Super Cusp Team Elite.

Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks: PRETENDERS Steelhawks

They are team number 6 in the East, meaning if they were a cusp team they would be sustainer level.  But their roster is nearly elite, like they should be a contender this year for pushing for a cup, this is a reverse pretender call, they are too good to be this far down.  Maybe this goes to show how talented and deep the Eastern Conference is, maybe they have had some bad luck this season.  But they should be sitting in the top 4 of the East right now, arguably top 2.  They have great depth with forwards and defense, goaltending is good.  Stop trying to convince us you are only an average team and start competing!

HOW CAN THIS PREDICITION CHANGE:
If they can not find a way to start winning more games they may get matched up against a true Elite option from the east in the first round and get knocked out of the playoffs early.  If they do not start climbing the standings they could end up with a poor playoff matchup.

Specters New Orleans Specters: SUSTAINERS Specters

5th in the West feels about right for New Orleans.  They are a good team, with a good roster top to bottom, but they lack any true elite players right now.  They seem to be caught right in the middle of growing older and getting younger all at once putting them literally in the middle of the SHL (TPE wise at the least).  They are a cusp team, one that could make a run, but not one I expect to do so.

(This was almost a pretender for the same reason as Chicago, goals for and against difference is only +3 for the season, second lowest among playoff teams) 

HOW CAN THE PREDICITON CHANGE:
They are a mid-roster; they could play above their weight class, and it wouldn’t surprise me or anyone to see them make a run at it if everything clicks at the same time.  Being a gambler, I wouldn’t place a bet on that happening as I play the percentages, and everything tells me they will be a first round exit.

Aurora Winnipeg Aurora: PRETENDERS Aurora

What the hell are the Aurora doing sitting in 6th in the West!  You are one of the top 4 teams in the West, arguably the 2nd best team in the West.  Yes age is starting to become a factor and regression is kicking in for a few members.  Still the roster is elite top to bottom and should push the Blizzard for the chance to play for the cup.  Stop pretending your best days are gone and get your ass back up to the top of the league.

Imagine a world where this Winnipeg roster falls to 7th place when the playoffs start.  Don’t laugh they are only 6 points up on San Fransico with 20 games to go, it could happen.  In this world, they face the Texas Renegades in the first round.  We could see a potential Western conference championship series in the first round and Winnipeg could be beaten by the Renegades in this matchup. 

pride San Fransico Pride: SUSTAINERS pride

Once again the Pride are a playoff team in the bottom half of the standings.  They are starting to see a light to the end of that tunnel as their team continues to get better and better.  It is way too early to call them cup contenders.  I really wish I could.  They have some good players littered through out their roster, but their depth does not match up to the elite or even the upper cusp teams.  Making the playoffs will happen, but much further than that will be a pipe dream.

Strategy, an elite thinker of the game could position his players in such a way they overcome their shortcomings and surprise a better team.  It is not likely, but it is the only way they manage to go on a deeper run into the playoffs.

Monarchs Minnesota Monarchs: PRETENDERS Monarchs

While I do not see Minnesota as the elite of the league, they are a much, much better team than we have seen so far this season.  They should be pushing for the top half of the western conference and not fighting to hold a playoff spot.  They have elite defense with good depth, a good depth in forwards and a good goaltending situation.  If they do not hurry up, they could find themselves playing an elite team in the first round.  There is still a lot of runways left to make their way back up the standings and get into a much safer position for a playoff run.

If they cannot climb the standings, this team who is bordering on being elite could find themselves in a very unfavorable position where they could be playing a team like the Blizzard in the first round.  Could they beat them, yes, but it will be a much more difficult task than playing any other team in the league to start.

Stars Toronto North Stars: PRETENDERS Stars

Listen the North Stars are going to make the playoffs, unless hell freezes over.  But I do not for one second believe they are a playoff team.  They are still in their rebuild phase.  They just happen to have two teams below them that are also in large rebuilds, Toronto seems to be the one slightly further along, but it is not by much.  I suspect Manhattan could overtake them next season.  They will make the playoffs and they will get knocked out right away, but they shouldn’t even be there.

HOW CAN THIS PREDICTION CHANGE:
Maybe Toronto decides to make a run for it and pulls off a ton of big moves right at the deadline to acquire some talent and big names.  Shocking the SHL world they with the new players they make a deep run and win the cup!  …Yeah I don’t think so either.

Dragons Calgary Dragons: ANCHORS Dragons

I grudgingly put Calgary as an anchor on this list, I really wanted to put them as something else.  They are in 7th in the West, they have two elite forwards, but lack depth after them.  Their defense is too young for the most part to make a big difference.  Goaltending is not good.  They feel like an Anchor right now,  I think brighter times are ahead for Calgary, but they have a few more seasons to go before the rebuild really takes form. 

They have two elite scorers; it is a lot to ask two players to carry and entire team.  If they have any hope of making the playoffs they need Sophie Bordeleau and Tom Pedersen to score relentlessly and make up the difference for the rest of the team.

Rage Manhattan Rage: ANCHORS Rage

Anchors are a fair spot for the Rage, they are a rebuilding team just starting to see the light of day on a very tough rebuild.  I feel like they might have had an opportunity to be a better team than Toronto and sneak into a playoff position at the start of the season.  But they couldn’t put it together and string enough wins.  Aksel Fiske and Tomas Lind can only do so much until the rest of the roster manages to catch up and I am sure that will happen in a few seasons.

Some how Aksel and Tomas go into overdrive and over the next 20 games they put up a GODLY number of points to swing in and take Toronto’s playoff spot.  Even than I feel it will be a quick playoff round and they will be knocked out.

Argonauts Seattle Argonauts: ANCHORS Argonauts

No surprises here, the Argonauts were expected to be a basement dweller this season and they are.  There is a long rebuild they have just started the path on.  They have played every bit the way expected with their current roster and reaching 5 or more wins this season should feel like an accomplishment. 

It doesn’t, they are not going to make the playoffs and they will finish in the bottom 4 of the league.  They would need to win at least 14 games over the next 20 with Toronto losing every single game to close out the season to squeak into the playoffs.  It won’t happen.

Patriotes Montreal Patriotes: ANCHOR Patriotes

They are in the exact same position as Seattle.  Just starting a massive rebuild they will be climbing out of a hole for the next few seasons.  I believe we have a long way to go before they become a regular playoff team.  I know a lot of the league are hoping they manage to get to 6 wins and even that seems difficult right now.

The only way it changes, this league suffers a pandemic that wipes out the population of all players not living in Quebec.  After all players in the league are obliterated, Montreal skates around the ice and still manages to win just enough games to squeak into the playoffs and win the cup.  Even then, that is a maybe, as a lot of teams have better prospects than Montreal’s current roster.

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

cuda cup + fitted primetime 99 cuddles razov trophy incoming

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

12-21-2023, 04:23 PMtrella Wrote: cuda cup + fitted primetime 99 cuddles razov trophy incoming

Or maybe get reverse swept

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Pssssht... we are pretenders.

[Image: Image-12-21-23-at-3-02-PM.jpg]

[Image: Wally.png]

Code:
But compared to other top teams, they do not have an elite goal scorer

Look at that we listen to you and we got a trade to announced! We got that offensive dynamo Wink

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

Excellent article spidey

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

12-22-2023, 02:51 PMAnthique Wrote:
Code:
But compared to other top teams, they do not have an elite goal scorer

Look at that we listen to you and we got a trade to announced! We got that offensive dynamo Wink

Damn it, what did I do!

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride