Create Account

Jussi Mutou - Chasing Greatness

5….. 4….. 3…. 2….. 1…. IT’S OVER! THE DETROIT FALCONS HAVE DONE IT! THEY’VE WON THE FOUR STAR CUP! WHAT A SERIES! THE FALCONS SOAR HIGHER THAN EVER TODAY!

Jussi Mutou has heard the final call so many times by now that it’s all that plays on repeat in his head. As the short off-season which felt like a millennia comes to an end, there’s only one thing on his mind. Redemption. Other teams got a head start on their off-season routine. Jussi would have to be better.

Taking only a week to visit his family back in Japan, Jussi flew back to Colorado just seven days after the final game of the SMJHL playoffs. And he began to train. As captain of the team, Jussi Mutou called forth the whole squad for a players only meeting. He knew they couldn’t wait for the GMs and coaches to tell them when to return. They had to take matters into their own hands. At the end of the day, they’re the ones on the ice. They’re the ones who will make a difference on the ice. He took the time to greet the new arrivals; Brooklyn Physt, Herman Stahl and Charlie Slurpe (all acquired via trade), as well as Nathangus McExplosion and Chuff D’Lee (acquired in the recent SMJHL draft). But very quickly, it was straight to business.

“We all know what happened last season. There’s no time to dwell on that and feel sorry for ourselves. We learn from it. We come better prepared next time. Now let’s get to work.”

The squad ran drills on their own for the next couple weeks until they were contacted by the GMs to get ready for their training camp. But by that point, the Raptors were already a well oiled machine. The recent additions fell into the new lineup like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle and suddenly the big picture was clear.

The Colorado Raptors are not here to mess around

“Val, Beau, Physty, and I are all on our last season in the J. This is our last opportunity to win with this club before we join the big leagues. It would be easy to just look ahead to what I’m going to do in Montreal. But I’m not about to half-ass this season. I owe it to everyone here to help keep us at the top of everyone’s favourites list to win the cup.”

It’s becoming increasingly clear that this new Jussi Mutou is taking his intensity up a notch. Which, for a player who has 559 career hits in the J so far, spells disaster for everyone else in the league. Jussi Mutou has put everyone on alert. And he’s not stopping there.

We also managed to catch up with a few other members of the Raptors squad for interviews.

Trent Wiseman

Code:
“As the roommate of Jussi Mutou, I was wondering if you can shed some light on what the first few days were like after he came back from Japan. You probably would have seen him the most before he decided to get the whole team together. What was it like?”

T.W.: "Yeah honestly, when he got back it was great enjoyed hanging out with him, and honestly great to meet the new guys who would probably be staying with us as well. Lord I don't know how Jussi manages but hey he is the captain for a reason."

“And how has your personal preparation? What was it like to go back to training just a week into the off-season for you?”

T.W.: "It was weird, and playing high school hockey before, its not that surprising when the SMJHL is way different. Funny enough I was a fairly lazy player on my highschool and club team's, so being picked up by the Raptors and just having that structure helps a lot."

“Are you feeling prepared for the season? What sort of training has Jussi been putting the team through?”

T.W.: "I feel really ready after losing in the final. Jussi let me know he had something planned, but I didn't really know what he was aiming for, but now that we are back training, Well, I will tell you, my legs hurt from a lot of bag skating, and Christ, it's a pain. Although it's terrible at the time, you get over it, and well, the defense drills have been great. He got some drills from old Raptor McFife XVIII, and they have worked wonders with our defense."

“With pretty important players leaving at the end of the season, so you feel like everyone else is ready to step up and take over? Or do you think there will be a bit of an adjustment period?”

T.W.: "Oh I can see an adjustment period, I know most of us are ready and feel as if we can take over but there will be some growing pains I know that."

Leonard Wood

Code:
“What was it like to be called back so soon? Was it nice to get back on the ice with your teammates or did it feel a little overwhelming to only have a week of break?”

L.W.: "It felt to get back out on the ice with my teammates. I think we're all just so hungry to win a championship, especially coming off of this recent loss in the finals. For some of my teammates like Jussi or Xavier, this is their last shot winning one. So we definitely want to put our best foot forward and put in all the work we possibly can."

“How do you feel the team is going to handle the departure of some pretty key players next season? Do you feel like the current squad can step into their shoes?”

L.W.: "Even though losing those key players next year is going to hurt, I feel like this team will still be well equipped to compete for a cup. I believe in our program and what we're doing here in Colorado."

“And as far as your personal journey in the SMJHL has gone, do you feel satisfied with the way it has gone so far? Or are you left wanting more?”

"Only one thing I want and that's the 4 star cup. But seriously, I think the GMs and coaching staff are doing a great job of preparing me for the big league. I just gotta make sure I give it my all every single night and the results will come. I just have to stick to my game and play my part on this incredibly deep team."

Chuff D’Lee

Code:
“What was it like to be called to the rink so soon after the draft? Was it nice to be able to meet the squad much earlier than the team training camp?”

C.DL.: “A whirlwind. I thought I would have gotten more time to train before touching the Ice. That being said, I take it as my team has faith in my abilities and wanted to see what I was capable of. Sometimes the best training is just going out there and giving it your best.”

“With the obvious case of you not being part of the team that went to the finals last season, did you feel like an outsider on the squad, or did everyone make you feel welcome and include you right away?”

C.DL.: “The squad has been real supportive so far and I already feel as part of the team. I am pretty shy when thrown into group settings initially, but the locker room atmosphere is very comfortable. I'm surprised with how social I've been so early into the season, so thats a really great sign. “

“With your rookie season coming up, and being a part of a team that seems to be favourites to win the cup, do you feel like it’s a lot of pressure to be putting on you? Or do you think it’s something the team has helped prepare you for?”

C.DL.: “Absolutely, this is our redemption season. I feel the bar is set high and I must match it accordingly with my performance. I'm hoping now that preseason has started, and Im able to show my strengths and weaknesses, I can receive feedback on what I'll need to improve. I think I'll be able to develp into an essential member of our next cup run under these conditions. And thats a great feeling.”

Charlie Slurpe

Code:
“As a new member of the Raptors roster, what have your first impressions been of the squad? It seems like the captain runs a pretty tight ship. Were you surprised to be coming back to the rink so soon into the off-season?”

C.S.: First impressions is the team knows how to win, and has a very specific drive to want to continue to win and improve. Joining this team fits right into my personal work ethic and has made for a seem less transition into the locker room and culture. Personally, I never leave the rink and was excited to find this matching trait along side of my teammates. Looking forward to great upcoming season ahead of us!”

“So you’ve spent your rookie season with St. Louis. I was wondering if you could tell us your initial reaction to being traded? What is the team doing to help ease the transition?”

C.S.: “I was shocked to be traded from St Louis, being their 4th overall pick from just a season ago. The Raptors organization has been nothing but amazing since the first day of being traded. Everyone is treated like they are a part of the team and makes you feel motivated to help achieve the overall goal of winning the Four Star cup.“

“So you had a longer off-season than the rest of your new team. But acting captain Jussi Mutou called the team back just a week after losing game 7 of the finals. What was the atmosphere like amongst the squad for the first couple days?”

It was great to see the team already in mid-season form in our first couple days of practicing together. This is the type of team you want to a part of because the game of hockey is what runs in everyone's blood. Being the captain last season in St Louis, it has been taking me some time to better understand my role in Colorado, but the captain here has done a great job creating a fantastic environment here.“

Brandon Gilleyes

Code:
“So with the obvious elephant in the room of the team having just lost in the finals, what was the atmosphere like amongst the team after Jussi Mutou called everyone back for the players only meeting?”

B.G.: “Different, it was tough losing in the finals expecially in game 7. We all went on a break and when Mutou called us all back to have a players only meeting it shocked me seeing as Jussi is not normally this serious and would involve management. So what ever happend while Jussi was off on his own thing spark something.“

“There have been rumours floating around that the training run by Mutou was pretty intense. Especially coming so soon after the finals. Could you shed some light on that?”

B.G.: “It was very intense. Mutou ran it harder than any coach has run a practice. The practice started off with a bag skate and then we still had another 3 hours of practice he told us.“

“With some big departures after this season, do you feel the rest of the team is prepared to step into the shoes of players like Mutou, Beausoleil, Physt, and Serapin?”

B.G.: “By the end of the season, yes. Right now, no. A bit more practice and we will continue to be stacked next season and the season after that.”

“And speaking of Physt, how do you feel about the new additions to the lineup this season. Do you think it’ll be enough to bring Colorado to another finals, and be enough to push them over the edge?”

B.G.: “We will make the Finals no question. The finals should not go to 7 games this season and Colorado will win.”

Xavier Beausoleil

Code:
”Were you surprised to get the call to come to the rink just a week from Mutou into the offseason? What were the vibes like in that first player only meeting?”

X.B.: “Nah man! You don’t know Mutty like I do. Cap has had the COL logo tattooed on his chest since we both joined the Raptors a couple seasons ago. He wants us to leave the team in its best state possible and go out with a bang. Having the whole team ready for a great campaign is super important.”

“There are rumors that the intensity of the training sessions run by Mutou was pretty high. How did the team deal with it, and do you think it helped prepare the team for the upcoming season?”

X.B.: “Cap’s training sessions have always been pretty intense. It’s nothing new here. The whole locker room knows how it is with Mutty. Of course we’ve welcomed some new additions to the team ( Hermy, Mcky, Slurpy, Physty and Chuffy) but they sure didn’t miss a beat. I have no idea how they do it in KEL or REG but this is the Dino way!

Like I said, These next couple seasons are going to be critical for the team. We need to be in Apex predator form if we want to bring this trophy back home. It’s time!”

“With this being your last season, how do you feel about the legacy you’re leaving behind? Do you feel like you’ve done enough, or are there going to be things you wished you accomplished?”

X.B.: “Man, next offseason is going to be rough! I don’t want to leave this group! I mean, we could always have done more but I’m super proud of what we’ve accomplished. Next season I’ll meet some of these guys in the SHL and we’ll be adversaries. It’s going to suck en bout d’viarge! No doubt in my mind that we’ll do everything in our power to go for the trophy this season.”

GM Takk

Code:
”Were you upset when you found out Mutou called a players only meeting? Did you feel it was necessary?”

GM.T.: ”Absolutely not. These kinds of initiatives are why Jussi’s our captain! As to if this was necessary or not, I put all my trust in our players. If they feel that some extra work could help our chance of success for this season, I welcome it with open arms!”

“When you called the team together for training camp, did it seem like they were more prepared than previous seasons, or did it seem like they had less in the tank coming in than usual?”

GM.T.: “One thing I can say is that the gang looks hungrier than ever before. Last season, albeit filled with success, left a sour taste in the Raptors’ mouths. I add my voice to the team’s when I say “never again!”. I welcome the extra work it pushes the management team to follow suit in this mindset.”

“With some pretty big departures coming up, do you feel like the Raptors are in a good place to continue to compete going forward?”

GM.T.: “Oh 100% ! Losing some of our leaders is a big hit but we can’t forget the Raptors aren't going anywhere! Our captain might be moving to the so called big league but we still have our 2 alternates Leo Wood and our trustee Kohne with us for 1 more year. We’re confident that the legacy left by the S73 draftees will pave the way for many generations to come!

We also made some big moves during the off-season. Bringing Herman Ståhl and Charlie Slurpe from REG was to ensure COL’s success for many more seasons”

The Re-Cap

Jussi Mutou has had an impressive J career this far. As he heads into his fourth and final season, let’s take a look at his stats.

Season 72 - The Rookie Wrecking Ball

GP: 66 | G: 37 A: 37 P: 74 | -39 | PIM: 59 | H: 227 SB: 38 | SH:245

Drafted 19th overall Jussi Mutou made it a mission to make a name for himself. And did he ever. Leading all rookies in goals and points, he came away with the Esa Anrikkanen award for Rookie of The Year. But that’s not the only area he excelled. Jussi Mutou throws the body. And when he does, people notice. 227 hits in his rookie year while putting up high levels of points. It was enough that fans dubbed the rookie duo of Mutou, and right wing Xavier Beausoleil, the Legion of Boom. Despite a strong showing from the duo the Raptors struggled as a team, finishing 12th in the regular season standings and missing the playoffs.

Season 73 - Going Through The Motions

GP: 66 | G: 35 A: 38 P: 73 | -6 | PIM: 79 | H: 147 SB: 28 | SH:261

A season which saw a bit of a personal setback for Jussi, finishing with 80 less hits than the previous year and 1 less point. As a whole, the Raptors finished with a slightly better record (27-35-4 in S73 vs 22-38-6 in S72) but still managed to finish 12th on the season. They scored a few less goals (250 in S73 vs 260 in S72) but gave up quite a few less than the previous season (308 in S73 vs 383 in S72). Overall, however, Jussi Mutou was left disappointed. Another season with nothing to show for it. Something had to change.

Season 74 - The Legion of Boom Rides Again

GP: 66 | G: 40 A: 49 P: 89 | +21 | PIM: 58 | H: 185 SB: 39 | SH: 262

After 2 upsetting seasons, finally the Raptors are on top. Sort of. Being placed in the “Division of Death” with cup favourites Quebec, and another strong team in Newfoundland, the Raptors had a guaranteed playoff spot. Despite this, I think they would have preferred to duke it out in the regular season with the likes of St. Louis, or Kelowna. Despite this, Colorado finished 2nd in the league behind the aforementioned Quebec City Citadelles with a record of 41-17-8. They lead the league in goals scored with 314 and were the only team to score more than 300. And that’s not even the biggest talking point of the season. The Legion of Boom picked up 2 more members this season. 2nd season player Leonard Wood and rookie Andrade La Sombra. Together with the founding members of the Legion of Boom, the “Butcher Shop Quartet” finished 1st (Beausoleil), 4th (Mutou), 7th (Wood), and 9th (La Sombra) in hits. The Raptors would continue an impressive display winning 3 series to punch their ticket to the finals against the Detroit Falcons. The finals, however, was a tragic ending for the Raptors. Each team won their respective home games going into game 7. Going into the 3rd period down 2 goals, the Raptors were forced to play catch up. And despite being able to close the gap to 1 on two separate occasions, the Falcons were able to hold them off to the final buzzer. Game, set, match.

Season 75 - What Comes Next?

The final season. The last dance. Jussi Mutou has one more opportunity to prove himself and cement himself in the history books as a top competitor in the SMJHL. Let’s take a look at the “All-Time leaderboards”, where Jussi Mutou measures up, and what he needs to do to reach the pinnacle.

Goals

1. Jeff Hunziker - 169
2. Bender Junior - 160
3. Billy Herrington - 157
4. Alekss Ivanova - 152
5. Erik Erikson - 151
6. Inactive Forever - 148
7. Alexi Piastri - 147
8. Joseph Reed - 143
9. Theodore Svatos - 142
10. Thomas Sawschuk - 138

44. Jussi Mutou - 112

With a handful of players ahead of him having just finished their 4th and final J season, Jussi Mutou is only chasing players who can no longer score goals in the J. Having just come off a 40 goal season, a repeat would see him tied square at 4th “all-time”. Add another 10 onto that and he leapfrogs to number 2. It will take a truly dominant season from Jussi to snatch the top spot from Jeff Hunziker. 58 goals and it’s his. Unlikely, but not impossible.

1. Alekss Ivanova - 360
2. Bender Junior - 351
3. Jeff Hunziker - 347
4. Inactive Forever - 327
5. Bastien Primeau - 323
6. Billy Herrington - 322
7. Mr. Gray T White - 321
8. Erik Erikson - 312
9. Thomas Sawschuk - 311
10. Tony Soprano - 305

84. Jussi Mutou - 236

Another mountain of players ahead of him, but majority already aged out. Having just pulled off an 89 point season, a repeat would see him finish with 325 points which sits him firmly in 5th place. Unfortunately, the top 3 should likely be out of reach for Jussi as he would have to finish with 111 points this season to break through.

Shots

1. Mikko Rashford - 1085
2. Emeril Lagasse - 1041
3. Jeff Hunziker - 1034
4. Rand al’Thor - 1025
5. Bender Junior - 992
6. Theodore Svatos - 991
7. Inactive Forever - 988
8. Erik Erikson - 965
T9. Maxwell King - 941
T9. Smurfunkel Dothe - 941

66. Jussi Mutou - 768

Looking up at the millennium mark in shots is daunting. But if anyone can reach it, Jussi Mutou can. Matching his previous total of 262 sits him at 4th place with 1030. Realistically, he breaks 1000 but doesn’t challenge Mikko Rashford.

Hits among forwards

1. Barg Hazbite - 802
2. Mr. Gray T White - 794
3. Bender Junior - 786
4. Kermit Murphy - 780
5. Inactive Forever - 756
6. Mercedes Baylé - 748
7. Olivers Ozols - 747
8. Juni Panda - 741
9. Levin Schattenaxt - 736
10. Smurfunkel Dothe - 734

73. Jussi Mutou - 559

Another mountain to climb. Or in this case, to flatten. Despite his hit totals slowing down the past two seasons, matching his previous total of 185 brings him to a total of 744. Good for 8th place. Now, if he had a resurgence to his rookie numbers with 227 hits, that would bring him to a total of 786 which would tie him for 3rd in hits among forwards. We shall see what strategy Jussi brings forward this season. Does he sacrifice hits to up his offensive numbers, or does he rely on a the heavy offensive tempo of his teammates and focus on his physicality?

As pre-season begins, we will see what version of Jussi Mutou we get. But all we know for sure is that the Colorado Raptors are not extinct yet.

Code:
For the graders, please give the pay for these individual interview portions to their respective player.

Takk806: GM Takk & Xavier Beausoleil: 615 Words

Canadian_Goose25: Trent Wiseman: 348 Words

CreHuf8: Chuff D’Lee: 303 Words

mysterious_fish: Brandon Gilleyes: 282 Words

[Image: M7PYRAS.jpg]
[Image: eL4cCu1.jpg]
credit to MuNk22 for the sig

Where does Denis Blanchette's legacy fit in all of that?
Great read!

Thank you to @Revontulete for the sig! [Image: Edzus_Ozolins.png?ex=663422ef&is=6632d16...f173626fb&]

Always a great read. GJ Fishy! Raptors

Xavier Beausoleil
Raptors
Position RW
Height : 6.5ft
Weight : 236lbs
[Image: Takk806.gif] [Image: sf4IwSc.gif]

LETS GO RAPS

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

Great article. Can't wait for this season, cap.
Let's Go Colorado!!

[Image: Leonard-Wood-1.jpg?ex=65e9fdaf&is=65d788...3d17ea60e&]

Raptors legend no matter what happens this season

[Image: NYR73.gif]
sigs from @sulovilen @_Blitz_ @Ragnar and @enigmatic

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png] [Image: cEbgUph.png]

Absolute legend of a team -- chasing greatness? No... He's already there

Lets get it. The road to the cup starts now.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

Great article. Got me pumped for this season. We got this!

this season we finish the job!

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=663a63f4&is=66391274&hm=70...8f89c3f46&]