Create Account

[2x First Media] Speaking With Alexa Johansen|Interview With A Rookie

A Brave New World: A 1-on-1 Interview with Alexa Johansen

By Jackson Kennedy for The Hockey News

Coming up through the ranks in any sport is a difficult task, but it can be even harder in a sport like hockey, where spots are even more competitive than ones like basketball or soccer. The further one lives from a traditional hockey wonderland, the places they receive plentiful snow and ice like Canada, Russia, Norway, or chilly, chilly, Buffalo, New York, the more difficult it gets. But all of that can be overcome, and has been, more than once.

What might prove harder to overcome is coming into pro-hockey from this situation, while just barely an adult, and suddenly moving fifteen hundred miles away from home, while finding oneself the focus of all kinds of attention and expectation. Today, I sat down with Alexa Johansen, getting an insight into her story and how life in the pros looks like when you’ve barely even begun your life there.

Jackson Kennedy: “Hi, Alexa, thanks for sitting with me. This is your first interview since draft day and your first ever long form individual interview, right?”

Alexa Johansen: “Thanks, Jackson, happy to be here. You’re right on both counts.”

JK: “I’ll try and keep this from being too dry and boring, then. So, let’s jump right into it. I think a lot of people have seen your article in The Player’s Tribune, even those who normally have little care for hockey, and it definitely seemed like it struck a lot of chords. Can you tell us a little bit about the reason you picked to write a letter to your mom?”

AJ: “Well, I guess you don’t hold back, do you?... a couple of years ago, my mom died. Cancer, it was over pretty fast, they didn’t even bother with the chemo. I’ve been visiting her in the cemetery twice a month since then. Draft day happened to be exactly on the day I normally would have visited, and it really made me miss her, especially considering the two year anniversary of her death was the very last time I got to see her. She was always my source of wisdom, more than dad… sorry papa, you know it’s true. So, I decided to make a letter to her, and I wanted the people of Saint Louis to get to see it, too.”

JK: “I’m sorry for your loss.”

AJ: (She makes a motion with her hand, like she’s waving away the words) “No, no, don’t be sorry. It’s been two years. I’ll always miss her, but I’m not still broken up about it every day.”

JK: “But it has shaped your views on the sport, and also helped you decide to go forward with going pro, right?”

AJ: “That’s true. Actually, I use the number sixteen for a few reasons, all related to my mom. The first is that it’s the day she died, January 16th. That’s also my birthday, actually, which is reason number two. Kind of weird how that worked out… but sixteen was her favorite number, she said all her best blessings came on the 16th of months, so I wanted to carry her number through my career and hopefully all the way into the Hall of Fame.”

JK: “And, circling back to the letter, it included some comments that a lot of people might have advised you not to publish. How did you feel, knowing you might make yourself a target with your comments on the team’s reputation?”

AJ: “They can come at me, then, if they want. I meant what I said; Saint Louis needs a new image, and I’m here to be part of the movement to help it get better. Can’t do it alone, of course, and I don’t intend to, but I am going to push hard for it, be an active part of it. That includes getting out into the community, pride night, working with my teammates on proposals for new branding for the team… everything.”

JK: “Well, I did hear that there’s a popular new slogan for the Scarecrows this year, at least amongst its rookies?”

AJ: “That’s right. Ready to Bring the Fear. The Ready to part can be dropped, depending on the situation, but really, the whole thing is a new slogan we’ve all embraced. It’s a little silly, I guess, but we’ve all rallied around it. We know we’re the underdogs to the underdogs this year, but it’s a sign of our determination to still be a team opponents respect and maybe even worry about playing.”

JK: “And with a few games in the season, you can begin to assess your progress, right? We have to talk about that first game of the season.”

AJ: “The ten nothing thrashing? Yeah, trust me, not a single person in the org was proud of that one. We really went over the tape hard on that one, just about everyone was putting in extra effort on or off the ice in response. I think it was a real wake up call to a lot of us.”

JK: “A real wake up call?”

AJ: “Well we have what, eight rookies this year? Over half the locker room, basically. I think every last one of us was surprised by the ferocity of the J in that first game. What’s that Mike Tyson quote? Something about getting punched in the face?”

JK: “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth?”

AJ: “Yeah, that’s the one! My dad loves that one. Anyways, that was our punch in the mouth, and we reeled. But what I’m proud of is that we bounced back. We found ways to cover some of our defensive flaws and to get our offense rolling by the next game. Now, yeah, we still lost sadly, but we improved. And then we beat Carolina, and that was a good feeling, honestly. Just to show we do belong, at least a little.”

JK: “And would you say you had any impact on that turn around?”

AJ: “Well, I’d like to think so. There was a lot of just… making sure the team’s heads didn’t drop, you know? Get up and go again until it’s done and all that.”

JK: “And that brings me to the next thing I wanted to discuss. So, you went second overall, Saint Louis made a big trade and jumped the draft to grab you, you’ve said you couldn’t believe it.”

AJ: “Very true, even still. It’s… a little weird, to be so desired that a team is willing to jump all the way up to second overall for you. Flattering, but a lot of pressure, too.”

JK: “But that’s not the only source of pressure, is it? You’re a rookie, but I think everyone in the league noticed the big C on your chest straight from the first game.”

AJ: “Well… yeah. We held a secret vote, among the team, and I’m not sure if it was because I went second overall, or if it’s because I try to be as active with the team as I can, practicing and getting to know my teammates, but apparently I won that vote, so I’m the captain now.”

JK: “Has it been difficult? There must be a lot of expectations, and you’re still getting used to life in the league and away from home.”

AJ: “Of course, it hasn’t been easy. But I’m not quitting, by a long shot. In a lot of ways this suits me just fine. I like the idea of leading from the front. I said I’d be the face of the new Scarecrows team in my letter. Well, what better way to do that than to be the captain? I just hope my teammates are understanding as I get settled in and learn my new role as well. But I promise to make it quick, we have work to do.”

JK: “Your determination is pretty amazing, Alexa. Do you have any goals for this season?”

AJ: She laughs. “Sure, can I say it’s to win the Four Star Cup? Might as well dream big, right?”

JK: “Why not? Shoot for the moon, land among the stars. Any other dreams, though?”

AJ: “Well, a lot. I want to get better, on a personal level. For myself, I want to be a point per game player this season, even if that’s a stretch. I’m a bit behind that goal right now, but I’m hoping as the team starts gelling better I’ll get my chances to pick it up. Also, if I’m aiming high, it would be a great honor to win Rookie of the Year, but honestly, that’s way too far out to worry about yet. For the team, really, this season is all about settling in, building up, learning and learning a lot. We’re also at the start of turning around the rep here in Saint Louis, so I’ll be looking to take some action there, and maybe using my captaincy to push for some initiatives, I’m just not sure what yet. ACLU, maybe? Or the Trevor Project? I’ll figure it out.”

JK: “Those are some ambitious goals, Alexa.”

AJ: “Oh, they are, and I know it. I don’t really see any reason to aim low, you know? Why would you not want to seriously try to be the best player and person you can be, every moment and every game?”

JK: “You might be wise beyond your years with quotes like that, Alexa.”

AJ: “Oh, well, I mean I stole that one from papa. But I do think it’s the truth, too. So I aim to live by it.”

JK: “Well, Alexa, I believe that’s about all the time I can steal from your practice today. Thank you so much for speaking with me! Do you have any last words or advice you’d like to give?”

AJ: “Hmm… well, mostly that you shouldn’t let anyone tell you who to be. Things will always be easier when you believe in what you’re doing, even if it’s hard.”

JK: “Alright, thank you Alexa! I’ll let you get back to it now.”

AJ: “Nice to meet you, Jackson. Have a good day.” She leaves.

Code:
Words: 1,705

Scarecrows
[Image: Oon045t.gif]
[Image: 8KlR3Yq.png]

Great read as per usual cake! <3

[Image: h1VQUxn.png]

02-07-2024, 02:35 PMNaomiMannequeen Wrote: Great read as per usual cake! <3
Thank you, as usual, Naomi!

Scarecrows
[Image: Oon045t.gif]
[Image: 8KlR3Yq.png]