Create Account

S75 PT#1: Orr What? Due: Monday, February 19th @ 11:59pm PST

Please pick ONE prompt to write about. Do not mix and match prompts. Identify the prompt you are using in your submission - Copying and pasting the prompt will deduct from your word count so if you do this make sure YOUR submission is 150+ words excluding the prompt.

Option 1:

Written Task: The very next night, your player is visited by the ghost of Bobby Orr. This seems rather incongruous with your mite coach's cliches about "playing the right way", as Mr Orr was hardly the model of a bottom six energy grinder. Bobby doesn't seem too interested in telling you details of how to correct your game, instead talking about his exploits and reminiscing. You wake up wondering if you had an unusually awkward dream, but then realize you're holding an authentic Bobby Orr-autographed pharmacy receipt from last Tuesday. What lessons does your player think they're meant to learn from this encounter with history's greatest offensive defenseman? If you could ask one question of the 80s superstar, what would it be, and what do you suspect the answer would be?

Graphic Task: Draw your player meeting their childhood idol.

Option 2:

Written Task: If a teammate asked you how best to train hand-eye coordination, what advice would your player have for them? As before, your player does not need to be correct. Feel free to write absolute madness, flex your knowledge of real-world athletic training, or anywhere in between.

Graphic Task: Draw your player playing a videogame and losing.

You will receive 3 TPE for fulfilling all requirements.

All responses are due on Monday, February 19th at 11:59 PST. NOTE: IF YOU SUBMIT/EDIT AFTER THE DEADLINE YOU WILL RECEIVE REDUCED/NO TPE.

Affiliate claims from either PBE or ISFL or WSLB or SSL are accepted; link directly to your post and note if your username is different there.
If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded. The graders reserve the right to determine malicious intent, after discussion with me. You will not be warned.

This task is for SHL players and send downs only. If your player is S76, that's not you.

[Image: zN6tB52.png]

PT Pass

[Image: zN6tB52.png]

PBE Affiliate

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 

Pt Pass

[Image: 57771_s.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png][Image: CXrxOKM.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png][Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

PT Pass

[Image: pyro182.gif]

Thank you hewasajazzman, Slothfacekilla, Sulo, Frenchie, and Raymond for the sigs Smile

This gets a little awkward since I imagine Langston gets asked for stickhandling advice quite a bit, but Langston Hardison-Laurent practices his hand eye coordination by Cooking on his grill. He says it is all about the timing when it comes to handling anything. Never want to be too fast where you undercook the defense and lose control, but you also do not to be too slow where you end up cooked and burned by the defense. It’s important to protect the puck (hamburger) and make sure you get in the net (bun) correctly and it’s best at times to get a little assist (condiments) to make sure your game (meal) really pops. Don’t forget to work on making sure the offense doesn’t surprise you with the back check (watch for critters who want to steal the meat). And whatever you do, do not write food based responses on an empty stomach.

[Image: lhlsigv2.jpg?ex=65cd244a&is=65baaf4a&hm=...5a69dcac4&]
Shoutout TheOPSquid for the Sig
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2024, 02:55 PM by sliceruser. Edited 1 time in total.)

Option 2:

Written Task: If a teammate asked you how best to train hand-eye coordination, what advice would your player have for them? As before, your player does not need to be correct. Feel free to write absolute madness, flex your knowledge of real-world athletic training, or anywhere in between.

Alexandros is very well known for his excellent hand eye coordination if you ignore his only 1 goal so far this season … anyway. Alexandros would tell you the best way to train hand eye coordination is to do it the same way he did, fighting undead and demons in glorious combat on the ruined fields of Lordearon. Swinging around a weapon may seem like a simple task but it is not, it takes years to master the craft of any single weapon! Alexandros himself learned to master the sword and became a feared and renowned blade master with his trusty sword the Ashbringer. You see undead are tricky creatures to take down so you have to have to have precise sword movements and swings to hit the vital weak points and finish them off or have a sword that engulfs in literal flame. Since you do not have the flaming sword or in this case stick option, I would suggest weekly training swinging your stick towards the pucks vital points to get the best leverage and accuracy. Easy right!

-180 words
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2024, 02:56 PM by chetib. Edited 1 time in total.)

A Meeting of the Man of Orr.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten SHL lore—
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
“’Tis some visitor,” I muttered, “tapping at my chamber door—
Only this and nothing more.”

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak February;
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow;—vainly I had sought to borrow
From my books surcease of sorrow—sorrow for the lost season of Seventy Four—
For the rare and radiant season whom the angels name Seventy Four—
Nameless here for evermore.

And the silken, sad, uncertain rustling of each stat yet uncertain
Thrilled me—filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;
So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating
“’Tis some visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door—
Some late visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door;—
This it is and nothing more.”

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
“Sir,” said I, “or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping,
And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,
That I scarce was sure I heard you”—here I opened wide the door;—
Darkness there.... and Bobby Orr.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
But the silence was unbroken, and the stillness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, “Bobby Orr?”
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, “Orr!”—
Merely this and nothing more.

Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter,
In there stepped a stately defence-man of the saintly days of Orr;
Not the least obeisance made he; not a minute stopped or stayed he;
But, with mien of lord or lady, perched above my chamber door—
Perched upon a bust of Pallas just above my chamber door—
Perched, and sat, and nothing more.

Much I marvelled this ungainly man to hear discourse so plainly,
Though its answer little meaning—little relevancy bore;
For we cannot help agreeing that no living human being
Ever yet was blessed with seeing a defence man perched above his chamber door—
With such name as “Bobby Orr.”

But the Defenceman, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only
That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.
Nothing farther then he uttered—not a stick then he fluttered—
Till I scarcely more than muttered “Other friends have flown before—
On the morrow he will leave me, as my Hopes have flown before.”
Then the bird said “Seventy-Four”

But the Defenceman still beguiling all my fancy into smiling,
Straight I wheeled a cushioned seat in front of man, and bust and door;
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous man of Orr—
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt, and ominous Man of Orr
Meant in croaking “Seventy-Four”

“Prophet!” said I, “thing of evil!—prophet still, if man or devil!
By that Heaven that bends above us—by that God we both adore—
Tell this soul with sorrow laden if, within the distant Aidenn,
It shall clasp a sainted Defenceman whom the angels name Bobby Orr—
Clasp a rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Orr.”
Quoth the Defenceman “Seventy-Four.”

“Be that word our sign of parting, friend or fiend!” I shrieked, upstarting—
“Get thee back into the tempest and the Night’s Plutonian shore!
Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!
Leave my loneliness unbroken!—quit the bust above my door!
Take thy blade from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!”
Quoth the Defenceman “Seventy-Four”

And the Defenceman, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon’s that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o’er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted—by Bobby Orr!

Tibuk Soonika - G - Tampa Bay Barracuda| Portal Page
BarracudaSwitzerlandKnights

PBE Affiliate

[Image: laser.png]

[Image: Virrok.png]
Thanks to EAB and sulovien for the sigs!

There are many different ways to train hand eye coordination. One of the most fun ways to do this on the ice when you have some friends is to practice tipping the puck off their shots. One player stands in the slot in front of the net while the other takes shots at the net behind them. The goal of the drill is to redirect the puck with your stick and make sure it stays on net. This is very useful for ingame situation where you need to screen the goalie and create oppertunities. It is import that the shooter keeps the pucks low to avoid high sticking calls in a real game, and injuring players and or teammates in practice. This can also help goalies too, by adding a goalie in the net they can practice taking shots that are tipped and saving pucks when they are being screened. To further add to this you can add a defender, this teaches all how to defend the front of the net and protect your space staying in a scoring area.

Foil Up Boys

Fuck Bobby Orr. Seriously, this meathead is a big part of the problem with this sport. If I ever met this guy I would give him a piece of my mind. I cannot believe I have to write a 150 word PT on this douchebag. He can suck it. He can kick rocks. I dont want to think I had a fake encounter with him at all. I think he is the perfect example of "stick to sports." Hockey players generally should not be the ones telling you how to feel or what to vote for. A lot of the culture, especially around his time, is outdated and bad for the game. If he ever had advice for me I'd tell him to shove it. If he was Stranded by the side of the road I would keep on driving. Dude isn't smart enough to work himself out of a damn parking spot. Eat a dick Bobby.

(159)

Pt pass

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

ISFL Affiliate

[Image: ljefVAX.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

Option 2:

Having picked up goaltending extremely naturally, Ju-gong was already incredibly coordinated the first time they took the ice. Within weeks of playing, his reflexes were sharpened and soon became practically unbeatable among his local team. Despite clearly having some genetic edge, Ju-gong would hardly attribute success to such things. Instead, he frequently preaches about two key hobbies to help one’s hand-eye improve. First and foremost is playing Baduk. The game requires not only speed and precision in order to collect a stone and place it perfectly on the tight confines of the board, but then to press a clock to end their turn. Doing these motions as quickly and efficiently as possible not only helps gain a time advantage in some games, but also can serve to intimidate an opponent. Just as cleanly catching the puck many times can make a forward feel hopeless in their shots. The last key to improving hand eye is sewing, working your hands patiently and methodically to build stamina and precision in order to make things feel natural and second hand.

Oh man a chance to ask the legend himself, number 4 Bobby Orr a question? That opportunity never comes around. You gotta figure your question is gonna be about his legendary prowess. Or maybe jumping into the stands with Mike Milbury to fight a guy and watch him get hit with a shoe. For me I would ask who did he look to model his game after. In his day there weren't many defenders who worked the offense like he would as many preferred to stay at home or attack the puck carrier with fierce veracity. Orr did that but he also knew when and how to position himself and how to get open and create plays on the fly. I think he would say that he tried to incorporate his position to be compatible with the Maurice Richard and Gordie Howe's of the day. Someone who can defend the stars while also be the two way player that they needed in close game situations.