Create Account

SHL75: #38 Mat Smith

Mat Smith
@Matteo

One of the few players on this list whose career isn't done, and legacy still out. 17 seasons as a starting goalie as he continued to be the main goalie in S75 for Chicago. Not many goalies can claim they were the starting goalie for a team for 17 seasons. Not many can claim that they were a winning goalie all 17 seasons either. A backbone of the Chicago Dynasty that is continuing on to this day. A career save percentage of .909. 70 shutouts, 564 wins. Let's take a look back at this amazing career to the humble beginnings.
30th OA pick by the Chicago Syndicate. Starting off win a quick Challenge Cup win in S57, being the backup to Tibuk Soonika. His first real time in net started in S59. With an amazing team in front of him, he went 38-14-2, with a .905 SV%. A pretty good start for a rookie, earning him a spot on the all rookie team and a Ryan Jesster nomination. But it doesn't take long for Smith to settle into the league. With just the next season he earned his first big boy trophy nomination. For the S60 season he broke out as a goalie. Sure the wins were down(36-16-2 record), but his actual stats as a goalie was elite. 7 shutouts, .919 SV%. Who thought that his sophomore season could produce an elite season out of him. Good enough for 1st team All Star too. But unfortunately, he did not win the McBride that season, but a nomination his 2nd season in the league is a great start.
And the accolades kept on coming. Seems like it was every other season he was getting an elite level performance out of himself. S62, a remarkable 46-3-5 record, 7 shutouts, .930 SV%. another 1st team All Star, another McBride nomination. How he did not win, you gotta ask the awards committee. Then, his best season came in S64. The one season to remember it all. The season where he was the best goalie in the league, in the regular season and postseason. Going all the way to the cup and winning it all. Securing his 2nd cup, and cup as a starter.

The S64 cup run might be the best form as a goalie, and one where they needed him the most. Round 1, trouncing the Winnipeg Aurora as they swept them. Round 2, they were down in the series 3-1. Bringing it back, 3-2, 3-3, and all the way into game 7 overtime. Where Chicago wins it in overtime. Winning round 2 in 7 games. Then onto the conference finals, where it was more of a back and forth, and you quickly have a 3-3 series tied. In game 7, Mat Smith shuts the Pride out. Then the finals, where the syndicate beat Atlanta in 5 games. Don't have to sweat about game 7’s. The Syndicate, and Smith get the job done, and they get their cup.

For that season, he won both the Honcho and McBride award in S64, 1st All Star, AND challenge cup to top it off. Going a .932 SV% in the regular season, .917 SV% in the post season. This is the peak of his abilities.

After that, Mat Smith went back to work for Chicago. In the 17 seasons he started he had 2 40+ win seasons, 8 30+ win seasons, and never had a losing season. Even in this season, S75, it is the same. Mat Smith going 10-5-0 so far in the season.

The first goalie to hit 500 career wins, first time a new goalie has his a 100 win mark since Jakub Aittokallio hit 400 career wins in S30. 1 Mcbride Win, 2 McBride noms, 3 Mike Honcho awards, x3 1st All Stars, 2 challenge cups. A legacy that is continuing to happen. Can he reach 600 wins? Who knows. But a legacy has already been cemented. Let's see how much more he can do.

As a former GM JNH said
“What can't I say about Mat Smith. On the ice, the guy was a stalwart and an absolute blessing for Chicago. He had some big shoes to fill when he stepped in for Tibuk Soonika and he exceeded expectations. Chicago's been lucky to have incredible goaltending stability and it's in no small part thanks to his hard work over the years. He'll go down in SHL history when his career is over as one of the all time greats to tend the goal. Off the ice, his render is apt as he brings big golden retriever energy all the time. A super positive guy who somehow also made an absolutely banging angsty playlist. Chicago is what it is because of people like him and I'm super thankful for what he brings to the locker room.”

[Image: hvLCbs8.png]

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Goat! I actually thought he'd be higher than this.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

What playing for such an amazing team does for a goalie, I really have Chicago to thank for my career.

I appreciate this writeup and this series so far, love reading through the greatest hits Smile

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]

Vamoos. Well deserved for this clutch goalie in club and international level.

[Image: salming.png]

Drog.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page