Create Account

ACC AMA
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM by ACapitalChicago. Edited 7 times in total.)

Ready for grading. Google docs word count of original work & responses totals to: 2392

So, howdy!

As of today I have officially transferred the ownership of the SMJHL HO & SMJHL GM servers to the great & wonderful Schwarznarr. I can't express how excited & confident I am for her leadership and to see the amazing things she does for our developmental league. Thus ends an approximately two year long tenure at the head of the J, and nearly four or so years total in SMJHL HO. Since I first joined J HO, I've been a part of the following discussions:
  • Condensing IP threads
  • Catch-Up TPE
  • Congratulation letters (for a time)
  • Getting SMJHL PT Head a PT Pass
  • The DFA experience revamp, including DFA bounties
  • Securing equal treatment for players who go undrafted in the SHL draft
  • Multiple expansions of J HO
  • Rewritten the J rulebook to a Ship of Theseus degree
  • Bot EBUGs
  • Removed 4th lines, readded them, then removed them again
  • Eliminated the 5th SMJHL season
  • Hired multiple GMs, even fired a few
  • Created the Applications Guide (Which you should totally check out here)
  • Minimum line minutes in the J
  • DFA bonus tasks
  • Raffled off the J division names to charity (To hilarious success)
  • Yeeted the Meet the GMs server
  • Expanded the Spy process to J GMs
  • Expanded rookie distribution timelines
  • Outlawed benching active players
  • SMJHL team staff budgets
  • Getting rid of the FA process in favor of waivers
  • Recorded the same podcast twice that one time
  • Upped starting stamina a few times
  • A lot of punishments posted, sorry
  • And probably a lot more I'm forgetting about
  • Oh yeah we expanded, that was a whole thing, huh?

These would've been impossible without the dozens of people at each step of the way, J HO members, interns, J GMs & Co-GMs, people in other departments across the SMJHL & SHL, there's too many to name directly (And if I tag you then you'll get pinged every time I update this). I seriously can't thank all of you enough for an incredible time, one that I'll always treasure.

And now since my reliable source of income is gone, please feel free to ask me any questions about anything, be it J HO, John Brown, or anything of the sort

02-20-2024, 02:14 PMHoltzFan10 Wrote: We love u <3

Love u too Holtz <3 Best of luck running the filework, you got this

02-20-2024, 02:14 PMNYR73 Wrote: Congrats on an incredible tenure Acap! What is your favorite hot dog place in Chicago and why is it portillos? Also go-to pizza place? Missing Chicago pizza so bad rn

My favorite hot dog place in Chicago is Portillo's, and it's Portillo's because you can't beat the hot dog and chocolate cake shake combo. Go-to pizza place, Fox's on the southside just always reminds me of home, used to get it with family all the time so it's a happy memory for me. Last I heard the Giordano's just off campus closed, closest potential replacement is at ISU lmao, so you might be stuck for a while unfortunately

02-20-2024, 02:17 PMChevy Wrote: In the last two years, you have experienced, and lead so many of us in the J.  What are your fondest, and least fondest memories during your tenure (this can be J specific or league wide)
Also, what was the hardest decision you've had to take part in (aside from the decision to step down)

Fondest, honestly there's a few meme moments here and there that really make me smile, but what made me happiest were the random moments of people just appreciating the work we did in J HO. The occasional appreciation and piece of recognition goes a long way, and I think everyone on the site could use a little more recognition of their hard work. Least fond though, definitely telling people they didn't get the job. That was always such an unpleasant experience for everyone, no one likes being told they didn't get the position and I certainly didn't like having to break that bad news. That was always a gamble on how well it would go, but only a few denials were ever truly "bad", thankfully.

Hardest decision, honestly firing people. That was always such a hard discussion to have and message to send. Thankfully, it didn't happen often, but when it did it always made me feel terrible.

02-20-2024, 02:19 PMJexter Wrote: Saving my spot in here for a future question when I think of it: thank you ACC and John brown did nothing wrong.

Meme question that I always ask: does your resignation have anything to do with the recent scandal?

Saving spot here for future question, but also based

Yes, it's all about the recent scandals and you caught me. I'll stop embezzling SMJHL Administration paychecks

02-20-2024, 02:28 PMReno Wrote: Will Reno be fined for this?

Only if you keep your shoes on indoors

02-20-2024, 02:30 PMTroy_McClure03 Wrote: What do you think is the biggest problem in the j league?

I think right now it's mostly about communication. There's a lot of expectations about procedures and intentions when it comes to who's doing what and why, especially when it comes to space in the J right now. There's an increasing amount of people on waivers who need homes, and teams have little space for them. Everyone has their own different perspectives about who's doing what and why, and J HO has been doing a lot to clarify where people are coming from and what's being done about it. Schwarz has already been an incredible source of clarity and communication for the J, and I know she's gonna do what's best with some upcoming plans

02-20-2024, 02:47 PMbrickwall35 Wrote: The GOAT, the J and the league as a whole will miss your leadership, but I know schwarz will step up.

Thanks Brick <3 You've been fantastic in J HO, especially handling waivers so consistently. Can't wait to see what you guys do!

02-20-2024, 03:24 PMRuggsy Wrote: Can you make sure to tell your replacement about the raptors goalie who never played a game so if he joins the site again then we get our waiver back according to the rules, which would jump up to #1 because it was seasons ago. While also keeping our current waiver spot. Ty

You said it would never happen but you best believe I'm still watching even when we are both gone

Also good job you did good stuff there

I have entire faith in Schwarz that she'll make sure she reviews that just as closely as I did in the past, we absolutely have been keeping track of this while running around with the current concerns of the SMJHL. Thank you for your dedication to this noble cause!

And ty, it was a pleasure working with you while you ran Rookie Mentors and COL, you've helped build up quite the foundation for managerial success there.

02-20-2024, 05:36 PMKalakar Wrote: Always had a good time working with you, what's next for you?

Thanks Kal, it's been a pleasure every time. Next up for my sim league career, for the first time in the longest while, I don't really know. I think I'd like to look into helping out in a management chat or two, be an advisor and relatively engaged while I ease back into non-Commissioner things. I've still got my player and John Brown will still be earning as much as I can, but outside of that I always feel a want or need to help out the League and have my voice heard. But, that does need to be at a lesser level of involvement as my IRL work career has started taking off, which is a bit of a pun because I'll be working with some cool stuff with planes soon

02-20-2024, 02:17 PMChevy on Discord Wrote: If you could go back and do anything different would you?  If so, what?
Which deep dish is better?  Chicago or Detroit?

Absolutely, and the first thing that comes to mind every time is the Anchorage/Gabe punishment from maybe 3 years ago. I think it was incredibly rushed and a haphazard punishment, and something I think we could've done far better with communication and discussion. I think it's had some serious long term ramifications on the League since then, and while I wouldn't say all are bad, ultimately I would say that it could've been done far better among other things.

Chicago, ez. But also, pizza time, Chicago tavern style is way better on the regular than deep dish

02-28-2024, 12:51 PMTroy_McClure03 Wrote: How do you feel about the wjc / iihf?

What changes would you like to see for both formats in the coming years?

My brutally honest opinion would be that I love both, but there's definite room for improvement. IIHF is forgotten about unless you're specifically doing well, and even then it's pretty to ignore it until the specific few days it's happening. From there you might not even hear about its start times unless your nation is exceptionally active. I think the format is a blessing and a curse because great upsets and runs can happen (Shout out to the last US IIHF gold) but can also lead to frustrations when you lose off flukes or brutal bounces. Ultimately, I'd really like for some way to challenge the historical stereotypes and preconceptions about it being forgotten about by pushing for more direct engagement across the board for IIHF, perhaps even site colors for the winner for a weekend or two. As for the WJC, oof. It's so tough because the idea behind the WJC being a great first step for people to get GM'ing experience has fallen apart from what I understand. A lot of the skills you gain from the WJC to run a successful team aren't fully applicable to GM'ing elsewhere in the league, given its extreme volatility and constantly changing landscape, especially even compared to the SMJHL. I want to provide the immediate caveat that I have never been a WJC GM nor a member of their HO, and I can't nor won't speak about their initiatives, but I think the easiest suggestion I could make would be increasing the information provided to players when creating their players what their national identity will fully entail. Plus, from a selfish perspective, it really sucks not being able to play for the team you created for lmao. But that's a different story. Ultimately, it's a really tough position for the WJC given how quickly their tournament flies by and how often people & faces change for it.

02-28-2024, 12:51 PMCloud_Robot on Discord Wrote: Will you become a WJC gm?
jkjk
Whats the biggest lesson you learned as commish?

Topical lmao. I did consider applying to be the US WJC GM one time, but a certain someone (Blitz) beat me to it. Frankly, being a GM has never really appealed to me when I first started out. But now as I've got some time under my belt I think it would be fun (eventually), and even then I'm probably a better fit for a Co or staffing position currently.

The biggest lesson I learned as J Commish, honestly there's a few I feel deserve acknowledgement. The biggest lesson I learned on the job is definitely how to get things done in a timely manner from an administrative perspective. Not just the work you yourself do as J Commish, but the things that are out of your hands, and the things you need to rely on other people to do, there's always a good way to get them done. That usually leads to the first "sub-lesson", you get more flies with honey than with vinegar. If you approach people in a nice manner and ask politely, you'd be surprised how far you can get. Sometimes people just need reminders, sometimes people don't know who to ask or where to look for what they need. In addition, sometimes you just need to learn how to keep multiple plates spinning. Sometimes you've got a lot of things you're waiting to hear back on or need someone else to finish to get started, in the end what helps most is just being friendly, genuine, and polite. You'd be surprised how much focusing on being nice to people will get things done faster and better overall for everyone

02-29-2024, 04:32 PMscudmuffin19 Wrote: How strange is it that your forum name is now gray, yet you've been blue for almost your entire existence here? (might be weirder for me, since ive only known you to have a blue name).

Honestly a great question, because it's insanely weird. I've been some shade of blue for forever, it's so weird to just be regular old non-bolded text. It's certainly made me eye some of the positions that give different colors to their usernames as a way to get back involved, I didn't think it would be so jarring to see

02-29-2024, 04:39 PMImShiny Wrote: What was your best moment on the site?
What was your worst moment on the site?
What was your proudest moment on the site?
What is one thing you are glad is gone from the site?
What is one thing you would add/change to the site?
What the fuck is a truck?

Best moment on the site, from a player perspective was definitely winning the Cup with LAP. Not only was getting that franchise a Cup after one of the longest droughts in the league, but getting to do so with my friends and people I consider close to me was even better, and becoming the 100th or so player in the Triple Gold club with it alongside Rich, that was a remarkable experience. I think it's really hard to top the feeling of that first Cup.

Worst moment, from a player perspective, oof. There were quite a few disappointing runs in various different areas for both Joseph Weston and John Brown. I think I even got reverse swept one time. But, I think it'd have to be leaving Calgary. Calgary was my first real SHL home after I left Carolina, and it was a place that really helped keep me active and stay connected. But, eventually I just felt things becoming stale and unengaging, and I could tell I was getting that feeling you get when you're becoming too apathetic to really care but not enough to not do something about it, and things needed to change. It led to a hard conversation with the GM at the time, which got even more awkward because he ended up taking me off the block without telling me. That was a really tough and awkward conversation. It eventually worked out for the best, I had a short stint in Toronto and then ended up in LAP afterwards, but that leaving transition was just a sad but necessary time.

Proudest? It's kinda niche and dumb, but I still smile about the comment I made about the whole HAM Rookies/Jack Crasher debacle. From what I recall, HAM offered their rookies a contract in DMs but didn't explicitly post it. A rule made a season or two prior to this incident meant other GMs could then attempt to snag those rookies, which a few attempted to do so. HAM then posted their contracts after the deadline attempting to secure their players. This led to a whole shitshow over who had the rights to the players, who deserved to be punished, whether contracts agreed to in DMs but not posted on the forums counted under the Jack Crasher rule, and a LOT of angry comments. The thread even hit 28 pages. But in the midst of the arguing, grok posted twice, to which dmills, GM or Co I forget which of HAM, responded "Double post, point and laugh". I hit back with "Person who caused issue by not posting anything laughing at person who posted twice." and it got a few appreciative responses. Totally inconsequential joking on the forum, but it was funny and made people laugh

I'm REALLY happy the old way of updating is gone. I was ass at it, and I like many others would rarely update because of it. But now things are SOOOO much smoother and there's never a worry about forgetting to claim things and losing out on TPE you already worked for. I'm so happy I never need my GM, J Commish, and two updaters to make sure my regression goes through either (True story lmao)

One thing I would add if it was ever possible would be direct stream engagement with the main page of the site. Like if you're anywhere but the main page you get a banner across the top of the site with something like "The SHL/SMJHL/IIHF/WJC is now live!" and if you go to the main page, the YouTube stream is directly integrated so we can get more eyes on it. Obviously that's easier said than done, but I think it'd be a neat idea

What the fuck is a boat?

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

We love u <3

[Image: BoucherFan12.gif]

[Image: benzeev.gif]

06-11-2021, 05:33 PMKenitohMenara Wrote: [Image: BLUE.jpeg]
Welcome to the hall, Ben!

Congrats on an incredible tenure Acap! What is your favorite hot dog place in Chicago and why is it portillos? Also go-to pizza place? Missing Chicago pizza so bad rn

[Image: NYR73.gif]
sigs from @sulovilen @_Blitz_ @Ragnar and @enigmatic

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png] [Image: cEbgUph.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2024, 02:18 PM by Chevy. Edited 1 time in total.)

In the last two years, you have experienced, and lead so many of us in the J. What are your fondest, and least fondest memories during your tenure (this can be J specific or league wide)
Also, what was the hardest decision you've had to take part in (aside from the decision to step down)
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2024, 02:20 PM by Jexter. Edited 1 time in total.)

Saving my spot in here for a future question when I think of it: thank you ACC and John brown did nothing wrong.

Meme question that I always ask: does your resignation have anything to do with the recent scandal?

[Image: lhlsigv2.jpg?ex=65cd244a&is=65baaf4a&hm=...5a69dcac4&]
Shoutout TheOPSquid for the Sig

Will Reno be fined for this?

[Image: S38oOt3.png][Image: of1yZSs.png]
[Image: JzmdDrE.png]

What do you think is the biggest problem in the j league?

[Image: TROYMCCLURE.gif]
Colorado Raptors Capitan S42-Until Forever!
Czechia Wants you! Ask about a transfer!!

The GOAT, the J and the league as a whole will miss your leadership, but I know schwarz will step up.

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

02-20-2024, 02:28 PMReno Wrote: Will Reno be fined for this?

3 million 1 day suspension and 7 days of discombobulating

Can you make sure to tell your replacement about the raptors goalie who never played a game so if he joins the site again then we get our waiver back according to the rules, which would jump up to #1 because it was seasons ago. While also keeping our current waiver spot. Ty

You said it would never happen but you best believe I'm still watching even when we are both gone

Also good job you did good stuff there

Always had a good time working with you, what's next for you?

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

Updated to here

S66 Damian Littleton

Bumping

S66 Damian Littleton

How do you feel about the wjc / iihf?

What changes would you like to see for both formats in the coming years?

Updated to here!

S66 Damian Littleton