Create Account

The End of the Line

[2,970 words, ready for grading]

S75 and the end of Sophie's story as the main character. She'll still make cameos in Ana's story, so we're not completely done here, but this wraps up her final main story arc. The ending was somewhat inspired by Scott Niedermayer, who works as a Ducks coach and largely only worked home games when he was first hired to be close to his kids.

This has been an amazing two years writing this story, and while team needs were the reason I recreated when I did, I am overall happy with the way this story arc meshed with my player's retirement. I am really looking forward to continuing my new player's journey in text, and hopefully being done with school soon gives me more chance to write more frequently.

Apologies to the fifty people I notification spammed while writing and editing this. Why the forum notifies people about their name being mentioned in a draft I have no idea. This is what I wanted you to see.

---

After a tumultuous season full of changes both on and off the ice, Sophie's mental dilemma hadn't resolved itself, but it didn't seem to be impacting her on-ice play too much as she'd soared to career highs last season. The rookies and prospects were adjusting well to the team environment, and Sophie had become particularly close with the Solberg sisters who had been drafted 1st and 12th in the draft before last. Their drive and dedication reminded the older player a bit of herself when she'd been a teenage rising star in Quebec City, and they were looking like they'd be major assets to Calgary's performance when they eventually made it up to the major league. The team had brought in two more first-round picks in Jack Keigan and Fredrik Gronlund, so prospect camp this year was hopping as usual.

In a welcome change from last season's nightmarish start, the Dragons got off to a decent one without their schedule of seemingly playing every top-five team all in a row. The elevation in play from last season's coaching change seemed to be carrying over, and it was nice that the rookies were bearing this growth, as Arthur Kaliyev and Sunrise van de Schubbekutteveen were carrying over their strong play from their rookie campaigns on the second line, while Sophie and Tom were on their twin tears as they had for the other seasons before. They'd developed quite the chemistry over the years leading an underpowered Dragons squad, and it was really great to see the team building so they wouldn't have to carry the load anymore.

Over Christmas, the young family did something they hadn't done in a while, and the whole family took a trip to Trois-Rivières. They'd been talking about it for a while, but they hadn't wanted to expose Taylor to meeting the whole extended family all at once away from home, though the couple's parents had been out by themselves to see their adoptive grandchild. They also weren't sure about how accepting they'd be, as is the risk outside of the bigger cities, but given that their in-laws were the extended family of an out and proud gay couple and they'd discussed it beforehand this didn't end up being an issue. It was great for Sophie and Jamie to get to see their daughter have the big family event as a girl that she should have been given years ago, and since Calgary's next game was just over the border in Boston they could spend a longer time together. Sophie still wasn't sure what to do about her conundrum, but this was a really nice way to spend the holiday season. If she wasn't playing hockey, she could have this every year and get to enjoy her holidays with her family without other obligations.

After getting back from the holidays, Sophie talked to the team's media relations people and convinced them to let her take fewer availability sessions after practices and games. Taking an obligation off her plate was helpful, especially for home games where it potentially meant she could get home and see her family before they went to bed. It also meant that she could focus on her biggest responsibilities, and it seemed to be working for her on-ice performance. She hit that coveted 30-goal total earlier in the season than she ever had before, she'd be more able to balance work and life, and things seemed to finally be becoming more clear.

---

The big conversation came one January night. "Can I talk about something? It's not anything bad, just wanted your input," she said to her wife before bed.

"I'm listening. What's on your mind, Soph?" Jamie replied sleepily.

"I've had a dilemma on the brain for a while now, been thinking on it and talking to some other people around the league playing while having families and kids." Here goes nothing. "What would you think if I retired after this season? I'm not totally sure what I'd do after, but I'd be able to spend more time at home. With you. With Taylor. Watch our kid grow up. Live life together."

Jamie sat upright. "You would do that for me? For us? What about the team?"

Sophie went on in response. "I've thought about that, and I actually floated the idea to a couple of other people who I knew I could trust to keep their mouth shut. They all said that it's something that's at least been a passing thought for them. The team's getting better, so it would stink to not be in that room when they're contending again, but I've thought about maybe asking if there's a coaching or scouting opportunity where I can do home games and stay local."

Her wife said nothing, but threw her arms around the hockey player. "This is your dream, and I don't want you to have to sacrifice that. I'd love to have you around more, and I'll respect whatever choice you make, but I just want you to be fully sure that this is the best choice for yourself."

The hockey star smiled, a tear coming to her eye. "You want to know when I knew this was something I wanted?" she said, her partner nodding. "It was that Christmas. When we went back home with Taylor. Seeing her get that big family Christmas as herself, those are the moments I want to be here to see. Your art. Seeing our kid graduate high school. Seeing her figure out what she wants to do in her life. I want to be sure I get to see all of those." The two fell asleep, at last at peace.

---

The end of the season approached, and Sophie's mind was finally made up.  Now she just had to break the news to her manager, the team, and the world.

"Hey, can I chat for a second?" she asked Ellie, stopping by the manager's office after a late-season practice.

"Sure, Sophie. What's on your mind?"

Sophie took a deep breath. There was no going back now. "There's no easy way to put this, but I've talked about it with Jamie and I've decided I'm going to retire from the SHL after this season. My family needs me here. Last season, I thought I needed to stick with hockey to prove to my kid not to quit on anything, but I kind of realized that.

"That's very understandable. We're going to miss having you out there on the ice every day, but you know what's best for yourself and your family," Ellie responded.

Sophie smiled, and the manager went on. "I know you said you wanted to be there to see the rebuild bear fruit, and there might still be a way to accomplish that. Would you potentially be open to joining our staff to coach our forwards? I'd have to talk to the head coach about it, but you've been nothing but professional every day you've been in this room and I'm sure they'd be happy to bring you on with your talent and experience. We could definitely structure your contract so that you'd only work home practices and games, be flexible with your schedule. You could still have a lot to offer us in that role, so I want to make sure you're comfortable.

The hockey star nodded in assent. "That would be great, thanks. I think I'll take you up on that if the coaching staff is okay with it, and maybe once Taylor's grown up and if you still like having me around I'll be able to commit more to it."

"How do you want to tell the team? I'll keep it quiet and follow your lead here, but it'll eventually get out at some point and it'll probably be shocking for the fans so I want to make sure you have as much control over it as possible," the manager inquired.

"If we get into the playoffs, I'll tell the team after we're eliminated. If not, I'll tell them before the last couple games if PR wants to put anything together for the last day. Public will probably just be a post on my social media, thanking the fans, that sort of thing." The two shook hands and Sophie left the rink for the day, a weight having been lifted off her back.

---

The Dragons were in fact eliminated from the playoffs, and before long it was the last home game for Sophie. She'd still never made it to the playoffs, but she'd finished with over 600 points for her career and been over a point-per-game, unexpectedly won an award, and made memories along the way. The coaching staff had only been too happy to promise her a job working with the forwards when she officially hung up the skates, but now it was time to take in all the memories and let the fans show their appreciation one last time.

Before the morning skate that day, Sophie had taken advantage of the fact that media weren't allowed into the room for mornings on game days to break the news to the team. "Before this game, I just wanted to take a minute to get the news out: I've been talking with my family and I've made the decision that I'm retiring from the league after this season," a line that was met with gasps from the room. "I'm going to miss the camaraderie of being with the team every day for the twelve years I've gotten to play pro hockey, but now it's time to focus on being a mom to my kid. The coaches have agreed to bring me on as an assistant to work with the forwards, so I'll still be around, but the last five years I've gotten to be in this room have been the best of my career. I'm sorry that we couldn't get to the big dance, but I know you'll be in really good shape going forward and I'm hopeful I'll get to be here to see it." There were many tearful hugs in that locker room, but everyone knew there would be many more emotions at the game that night.

Once she got home, Sophie navigated to the prepared post she'd written the night before and sent it out.

"Dear fans,

I have decided that I will be retiring from the SHL after the end of this season to spend more time with my young family. I have enjoyed every minute that I have been fortunate enough to spend playing a sport that I love, and I am thankful for the support I've gotten from the fans every step of the way. I will be transitioning into a new role with the Dragons staff, overseeing the team's continued rise. My family and I would appreciate your respect of our privacy at this time."

The replies from people from around the league came in quickly, people in Quebec, San Francisco, Calgary, and so many others - both players she'd played with and against - wishing her the best of luck. Other players with kids responded saying that they understood where she was coming from in her decision, which meant a lot to help Sophie understand that she made the right choice. When it came time to go out on the ice for the rebuild, she was stunned by how many people had made sure to show up early and watch, a salute to the player who'd played so much of her prime in their city. Halfway through the first period, Sophie was surprised when the arena announcer directed everyone's attention to the Jumbotron during a TV timeout, where a video of her highlights in Calgary started playing. "We Will Miss you Sophie" was the message that rounded it off, and the fans took a minute to show their gratitude. Her teammates beside her on the bench gave her a nudge and she stood up, waving for one last time to the fans. A few minutes later, Sophie took the puck on a breakout and fed Greg Davies for a two-on-one, who found Tom Pedersen for the game's opening goal. Even though she'd only had the second assist on the play, that didn't seem to matter to the fans.

A 3-3 tie went into overtime, and then a shootout. The coach sent out Sophie for the first chance to massive cheers, and while her shot was stopped by the Atlanta goalie, the hometown fans didn't care. Pedersen got the goal, Turnerson made three saves, and the Dragons had taken the win in the final home game of their star's career. The team saluted the fans as they always did at the end of their season, but there was one more surprise. Sophie moved to walk down the tunnel for the final time, taking it all in, but a game-day attendant stopped her, and she soon found out why.

"Your third star of the game, with two assists, NUMBER 20, SOPHIE BORDELEAU!" the voice over the announcements boomed. She took to the Dragons arena's ice for one final time as a player, not wanting to leave the ice yet, her stick in the air as she did a lap. The fans had given so much to her over the last five years without much team success to show for it, and this was her chance to give back to them. A chant of "So-phie!" went on as she finally left the ice for the last time. Atlanta's Victor Krunk got the second star for the game, and rising star Crystal Mcleod got the first star, and that was it. Her career as a player was done.

The congratulations and hugs after the game went on for a long time, players and coaches wishing her the best of luck with everything in her life. She packed up her bag for the last time and walked out of the room to the two people who mattered most in her life, taking her wife and daughter into her arms. She'd miss hockey, but in this moment everything and everyone she needed was right here in this hallway. Tomorrow would be a new day, but for now they could just be a family and go through life together. After twelve years, four organizations and many incredible and heartbreaking moments, she could finally relax.

The End

---

Out of character sappy thank you:

It's been an incredible two years, and even though I didn't get the team hardware I wanted so badly I don't regret this career and I'm happy with what I accomplished and the people I met. I'm gonna thank some people, as is customary, but even if your name isn't here you know who you are.

@sköldpaddor @Aleris Thank you for taking a shot on me as a DFA all those seasons ago, and even if it wasn't a long stretch for me there it was nice to experience the DFA system for the first time in such a cool locker room.

@Faelax @RAmenAmen Thank you for drafting me to QCC and allowing me into your space. There are far too many people to thank here, but @lore @Caleb @CrazyMojito @Valpix @Evok @Hordle and people who aren't here anymore or that I'm forgetting, we had a hell of a run and I'm sorry we couldn't pull it off one of those times. Plus all the people I've gotten to meet as an alumnus @skyrrhawk @ThePyroAlpaca @JR95 @Seany148 and so many others. Looking forward to livetweeting PWHL games with you for much time to come (one day Ottawa will be good).

@HabsFanFromOntario Thanks for taking a shot on me even after I stepped down as GM. Sorry it didn't work out for me there, but you did a great job with EDM and I enjoyed my time there.

@Toast Thank you for taking a chance trading for me in SFP, and I deeply enjoyed the seasons I got to spend in the SFP locker room. @Bfine @AgentSmith630 @LordBirdman @Spartan @sulovilen @Henrik @Jimmysmo27 @Keven and so many others, thank you for the fun chats.

@Possum Queen Thanks for agreeing to be my co-GM when I took over Calgary. I knew you before, but it's been great having you aboard.

The Calgary crew. @tomtommen @Kaliyevl34l @Thunfish @TacocaT 2 @MyLittleHexx @NaomiMannequeen @zaybae @TonyW19 @Tsunny @Juho @Esso2264 @echlyrica @grimgrum @halanv3ntur3 and all the people who have had a cup of coffee here along the way @Patty @roastpuff @SewingWithNancy and others. We're so close to that breakout season, and from the bottom of my heart, thank you for being part of the culture change here.

I'm definitely forgetting about a lot of people in this post, but you know who you are and I'm not any less thankful for having met you. Here's to many more years in the SHL.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

Glad to be of assistance and thanks for bringing me onboard.

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR

03-10-2024, 09:05 AMThunfish Wrote: Glad to be of assistance and thanks for bringing me onboard.
Excited to see you take the reins next season!

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

so much love for you and what youve done for the community boom!! <3

[Image: 485e83ad5709e90ba5a0cffccb717e08.gif]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: n5T6k5K.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]
:3
Cranberry Sig by @enigmatic
Pride Skates by @sköldpaddor
"You Belong..." Banner by @sve7en

I actually teared up reading this holy crap. Crystal no doubt gave Sophie the biggest hug imaginable when she announced to the locker room. Also she fought tooth and nail to switch star spots with Sophie

[Image: 8FnCVh9.jpg.]

[Image: UmZVJaz.png]
[Image: 6gdbFeP.png][Image: auXbs4O.png]
[Image: 1oMA17u.png]