Create Account

Petition to Remove Polarizing Questions from PTs

Scud are you doing okay? You obviously don't like it in the SHL as you've left all the servers + retired your player (in addition to all these bizarre threads), yet you keep coming back here to engage?

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

03-28-2024, 11:38 AMboom Wrote: Just a small heads up that queer people tend to really dislike this insinuation that all homophobic people are just gay but self-hating, as it puts the burden back on queer people to accept those doing them harm.
i would also like to point out that getting pegged isnt gay and we need to stop isnutaiting that. now.

[Image: TommyWestbrook.jpg]
[Image: UznKCpb.png]

Finally catching up on this thread... I've been bi for the majority of my adult life. A total of maybe a handful of people in real life know this. Not even my gay hockey league, not my family... legit no one.

In saying that... why can't the league have a general question of supporting any marginalized, LGBTQ+/Black Rights//Border Victims... I can keep going... What I'm not trying to do is dilute the support or safe space by being accepting of all these or even saying this. Answering a singular question like would you support LGBTQ+ Jersey night I get why it would push people away though even if they do support... Like shit, I searched Google and found sim hockey and the first questions I'm being asked are socio-political. Like what, I'm 14. What's going on.

I sure as hell support it, but what is to think someone who joins the site doesn't wonder what happens on the other side of answering the question? Either way... Couldn't the question be rephrased as all-encompassing, so we don't push away those who may simply be looking to just join our site for a safe place to be a user name? The same can be said to the homophobes... Like you don't have to dig in too far to see we are a LGBTQ+ Safe place (well most spaces I'd like to think), so they answer "yes" to be accepted, does that mean they truly support or will it be vetted further?

I mean... if you simply want to be able to put a check mark next to a user for answering yes in response to a IP question, well is it really going to determine it being a safe place?

I think this thread, the question and hateful people are dumb altogether.

[Image: Wally.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2024, 04:19 PM by boom. Edited 1 time in total.)

03-28-2024, 04:10 PMWally Wrote: Finally catching up on this thread... I've been bi for the majority of my adult life. A total of maybe a handful of people in real life know this.  Not even my gay hockey league, not my family... legit no one. 

In saying that... why can't the league have a general question of supporting any marginalized, LGBTQ+/Black Rights//Border Victims... I can keep going... What I'm not trying to do is dilute the support or safe space by being accepting of all these or even saying this.  Answering a singular question like would you support LGBTQ+ Jersey night I get why it would push people away though even if they do support... Like shit, I searched Google and found sim hockey and the first questions I'm being asked are socio-political.  Like what, I'm 14.  What's going on.

I sure as hell support it, but what is to think someone who joins the site doesn't wonder what happens on the other side of answering the question?  Either way... Couldn't the question be rephrased as all-encompassing, so we don't push away those who may simply be looking to just join our site for a safe place to be a user name?  The same can be said to the homophobes... Like you don't have to dig in too far to see we are a LGBTQ+ Safe place (well most spaces I'd like to think), so they answer "yes" to be accepted, does that mean they truly support or will it be vetted further?

I mean... if you simply want to be able to put a check mark next to a user for answering yes in response to a IP question, well is it really going to determine it being a safe place? 

I think this thread, the question and hateful people are dumb altogether.
The reason why that question is so important for me is that when people shoot down the Pride nights in real life on places like r/hockey, it's never just because they don't like rainbows. It's always paired with other bigoted misconceptions like saying that queer people are the real intolerant ones or that they're the reason why the jerseys are gone because they refused to just sit back and let the homophobic players be homophobic - it's a window to their actual beliefs.

I actually privately reached out to one of the users who posted a negative response on that question a while back and their response in that DM immediately raised red flags. It's a question that has such a low bar to clear and some users still manage to trip over it. I'm sure there are homophobic players in real life, but until 2023 they just didn't put their own feelings above that of the team trying to make a welcoming gesture. Reimer and the Staals weren't clowned just for not wearing the jerseys, they were laughed at because the responses that they chose to put out of their own volition walked right up to the line of calling being queer a choice or lifestyle.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

03-28-2024, 04:18 PMboom Wrote: The reason why that question is so important for me is that when people shoot down the Pride nights in real life on places like r/hockey, it's never just because they don't like rainbows. It's always paired with other bigoted misconceptions like saying that queer people are the real intolerant ones or that they're the reason why the jerseys are gone because they refused to just sit back and let the homophobic players be homophobic - it's a window to their actual beliefs.

I actually privately reached out to one of the users who posted a negative response on that question a while back and their response in that DM immediately raised red flags. It's a question that has such a low bar to clear and some users still manage to trip over it. I'm sure there are homophobic players in real life, but until 2023 they just didn't put their own feelings above that of the team trying to make a welcoming gesture. Reimer and the Staals weren't clowned just for not wearing the jerseys, they were laughed at because the responses that they chose to put out of their own volition walked right up to the line of calling being queer a choice or lifestyle.

I know all of this Boom… And I get the reasoning for it. I think having to ask the question is dumb. Which is why it is even more important for GMs and LR management to actually even weed out the bigotry, hate and evil. The question itself to me doesn’t do that either way.

03-28-2024, 04:46 PMWally Wrote: I know all of this Boom… And I get the reasoning for it. I think having to ask the question is dumb. Which is why it is even more important for GMs and LR management to actually even weed out the bigotry, hate and evil. The question itself to me doesn’t do that either way.

As the person who wrote the question in the first place, trust me when I say that I do more research than just the question. People don't go instantly to the top of the scouting board just because they say yes to that question (after all, there are definitely other forms of bigotry aside from homophobia), but I can get a vibe check from it and decide if someone is so openly hateful that I do not have the time mid-scouting to educate them.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

03-28-2024, 04:52 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: As the person who wrote the question in the first place, trust me when I say that I do more research than just the question. People don't go instantly to the top of the scouting board just because they say yes to that question (after all, there are definitely other forms of bigotry aside from homophobia), but I can get a vibe check from it and decide if someone is so openly hateful that I do not have the time mid-scouting to educate them.

This makes sense, Jess. I suppose I’m looking at it more from a what would my son do (being 14 soon) and I truthfully don’t know. I’d like to think I know, but that’s a discussion for a different day when I’m not five Modelos in on vaca.

Lot of similarities to Wally here. I don’t usually open up about being comfortable with being bi for the last 13 years.

I also wonder how my daughter would react to said questions. After all she is only 9 and so much time will pass between now and when she hits 14.

On the subject of IP Questions, they are designed to be that quick first look. Not a heavy scouting thing and it sounds like many have a good handle on them in their current state.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2024, 11:44 AM by caltroit_red_flames. Edited 1 time in total.)

03-27-2024, 12:10 PMscudmuffin19 Wrote: How long before the IP thread starts asking if users are right-wing or left-wing? Or what their race/ethinicity is?

Scud if you're actually equating only wanting to be around those support LGBT+ people with white supremacy then we're done. I know you like to stir shit up on SHL and it's been funny in the past even if it's been stupid. But this thread is fucked up. It's an exposé on the foolishness of people who don't understand the paradox of tolerance.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

Seeing how many people are accepting of others in this thread makes me so happy. Like a 99 to 1 ratio. Love to see it.

Lol

[Image: bgwUtVZ.png]

03-29-2024, 01:44 PMVandy Wrote: Seeing how many people are accepting of others in this thread makes me so happy. Like a 99 to 1 ratio. Love to see it.
I wanna live in the world where real-life hockey is as accepting as this site is.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

You know what would finally get me to play Warhammer 40k.

LGBT Space Marine chapters. Just imagine the fun panting those models

[Image: 0wXevO1.gif]
[Image: Qfss7w7.png][Image: Eo2nBCt.png]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]

03-28-2024, 11:56 AMzeagle1 Wrote: Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I did not know that! I will no longer make these jokes/references
Contrapoints' latest video on Twilight touches on this at some point. Now is it 3 hours long? Yes. I still recommend all of her work.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

03-29-2024, 02:25 PMboom Wrote: I wanna live in the world where real-life hockey is as accepting as this site is.

Mood