Create Account

[2x SMJHL Draft Media] Top Prospects Game: Atlason's Perspective

All month I'd been nervous for the upcoming prospect's game, I knew I was good but I didn't know if I was amazing. These are the best of the best, and Iceland is surprisingly well represented this year which I love to see with AT-AT, and Elvar... god that name was too close it almost hurts. Also there is the unnamed but he's not really Icelandic and he doesn't belong here. I walk in with my customary outfit, turtleneck under a blazer with aviators. It's raining that day so there's no sun but I'm not wearing them to protect my eyes. When I get there, we're being separated into white vs black, so unoriginal. What ever happened to some fun jersey concepts you can try out during the game. I'm put on the Black team and walk in seeing a couple guys I'd heard about on TSN2: Smirnov Light III, Evil Kyie Murray, Gwendolyn Telenn the big names from typical hockey markets. I'm sure they're great players too but at least part of the attention has to be because of proximity.

There's a booth lined up for prospect questions, Hockey Player's booth is surrounded by reporters as he dazzles them with his charisma. He oozes likability, charm and a love for this kind of thing. Somehow he says get pucks in deep and you're ready to forecheck Mclovin right through the glass. I get to my booth and look over seeing LiMu Emu to my right and Emeric Gagner to my left. A quick prayer goes up to Odin for not putting me next to that scum bag. Chairy Styles comes over as I'm walking in and tries to make small talk but I'm not in the mood. All the social energy I have has to go into these inane questions incoming. I give a brief nod and tell him "Not right now man, sorry." not even hearing the question he asked... something about soup? Who cares, it's neither here nor there now.

"Roger Davidson, Nevada News."

I hadn't even had the time to sit down when a group of five reporters arrived while my back was turned. These vultures are going to ask me about him aren't they... I'm so fucking sick of-

"If you were asked to wear a Pride jersey during warm ups, is this something you'd do?"

A sigh of relief comes out, it's an easy one to start.

"Absolutely without hesitation I would don a pride jersey."

"Roger Dorn, Ohio Print. Would you say you're the best prospect this draft."

A subtle question, but one I absolutely wouldn't answer honestly. I did not want to take anything away from anybody else.

"No that question is too subjective. I will say I am good but so are so many of my draft mates."

The idiot in the fur coat, Dorn, persisted however.

"So you're saying you were the best in Iceland but not here. Are you saying Iceland produces inferior hockey prospects."

I felt heated, this man had the audacity to ask me this question and call it reporting. A look of concern crossed the reporters' faces, it must be noticeable how pissed I am.

"No more questions at this time, thank you."

I went to the locker room, and started getting ready. I had my routine, most players I've seen do. Jock first... always. Have to stay protected, shin guards, socks, pants, skates. Then over to tape the stick. I always mark an "E" on the grip part of the tape, it helps me remember not to show boat or take over a game too hard. I can't let anybody else be in my shadow again. I finish putting the rest of the equipment on, a coach walks in to give some kind of pep talk. He's mostly bald, got a monk tonsure going and a hefty set physique. Doubtless a guy who never played and thinks he knows the game because he knows somebody who got him this gig. I tune him out, he's not worth the time and focus on what really matters. I want to make sure I find a way to get recognition to the people this class who've slide under the radar. I pull out the list: Trevor Lopez, Raw Cheese McPickle, Simon Science. I'll find a way to make them show up big.

I head out for warm ups at the end of the line, somebody fist bumps me on the way out. It seems performative, probably trying to get "leadership" points by the scouts. Sure bud, that fist bump is going to be the reason I set up a player for a breakaway in the third to tie the game. I step onto the ice and immediately fall flat on my face. I'd left me skate guards on and this kind of gaffe is perfect to draw attention away from highlight reels for most mistakes that will happen in the game. I pretend to look embarrassed but it was intentional. I quickly take them off and go put them back in my bag and come out. A booming voice bellows out from the white side "Atlason, skate often?" It's him. He truly does encapsulate the movie Shrek in his entirety. He's built like an ogre, talks like an idiot like donkey and is a sacrifice I'm willing to make. I ignore him, as usual but start skating pissed off. I fire a shot on goal while the goalie isn't looking out of anger and get a resounding "Fuck off bud." from the tendy. I shake my head, what an immensely stupid thing to do just because he talked to me. I knew he'd be here...

Coach puts me out first to take the opening draw against Smirnov Light III. The wingers are already pushing into the circle and being told to get back as they aggressively work in to get the puck. He drops it and before I can blink Light's won the draw. He pushes it back to Lopez who finds Gagner streaking down the wing as he skates in and scores top corner on Elvar Gil-Galad... 8 seconds in. Then it dawned on me... we're not in Iceland anymore and I may not actually be the best player. I could finally play hockey and not have to worry about overshadowing all the players here. The coach pulls us after the goal, calls us a bunch of bums who don't belong in the league but I don't exactly see him repping any gear from a SMJHL or SHL team so maybe he should shut up.

The game goes forward really close, I combine with Swedish Chef and "Jaeger" his name is too unpronounceable to even attempt to tie the score. Evil KyIe Murray and Elvar play some stand up hockey. There's a lot of physicality in this group, some bone shattering hits, a couple fights. This is a real tilt and it comes down to a shootout at the end. 5 shooters go up, 5 shooters get turned aside, coach taps me on the helmet and tells me to go take my shot. I grab the puck at the dot, and come in wide with speed. As I get close I slow down quick, and fire a quick snapshot that misses the net. I had the goalie beat I just messed up. Then fuck face Shrek shoots next, goes down and fires a slapshot from the 6 feet out like a scumbag and scores. He gets mobbed and I get the hell out of there as soon as I can. But I realize, this is the most fun I've been able to have playing hockey in a long while... not needing to worry about holding back. Just being able to play, and I look forward to a lot more of that.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

Great read. A little rude to ignore my offer to share some soup to keep you warm in the rain before the game, but whatever. Sorry you lost. At least you faired better than me not even getting to play because I got chicken noodle in my skates

[Image: Chairy-Falcon.jpg]

You're not even top Icelandic

Thank you to @Revontulete for the sig! [Image: Edzus_Ozolins.png?ex=663422ef&is=6632d16...f173626fb&]