Create Account

SNCAA Phenom Making a Big Change!

(First Article)

[Image: the-katy-news-logo1.png]

KATY, Texas born Marcos Maciel has been turning heads on the rink since he could skate. The US Collegiate hockey program has seen substantial improvements in both popularity and skill level in the last decade, and young Maciel is a product of that improvement. First, lets get to know Marcos.

Marcos is the youngest son of Horatio and Maria Maciel, two Mexican immigrants who crossed the border and settled in Dallas with their two oldest children in 1995. Horatio was quick to fall in love with a surging Texas Renegades team and by association: the sport of hockey. After moving to Katy for work 4 years later, Marcos was born. Horatio bought Marcos his first pair of skates when he was just 3 years old, and used much of their savings to have their son play on Katy's only rink the first few years of his playing time. Soon thereafter Marcos began to outclass his peers, displaying a knack for finding holes in the goal and keeping the puck away from defenders. When it became apparent Marcos was something special, he was approached by a AAA Dallas youngsters coach.

Most athletes are quick to thank their parents for their support and their success, Marcos story is no different. Morning after morning Horatio or Maria would drive 3 and half hours to Dallas so that Marcos could play with other skilled youth in Dallas's AAA youngsters team. Marcos led the team in scoring in each of its years and as he grew older began attaining National attention. In 2014 Marcos began to receive preliminary college scholarship offers and after much deliberation moved to Ohio State in 2016 to continue his career at the collegiate level (perhaps gaining the attention of SHL scouts). One year at the collegiate level later, leading rookie scorer Marcos Maciel was left with a tough decision to make; he could continue his college career or transition as a free agent to the SMJHL.. the doorstep of the SHL.

According to Marcos, it wasn't a hard decision, and our team at The Katy News got an exclusive interview with the young hockey player.

Marcos, the way you've gone about advancing your career is unorthodox to say the least. Most players in the SNCAA program play through college and are picked up by an SHL team, how soon did you know that the SMJHL was the next step in your career?
Marcos: My goal has always been to play where I can grow the most. Almost all of the greats have played in the SMJHL to transition into the SHL. I owe my parents my entire world and they wanted me to at least entertain the thought of the SNCAA route. I am hugely grateful for what I learned from my coaches and teammates in Ohio, but I am eager to challenge myself against the world calibre youth in the SMJHL.

Have you been approached by any teams yet Marcos? Where do you want to play?
My agent and I have spoken with a teams. There have been offers made and I will start my next chapter on an SMJHL team. I am not prepared to disclose which teams I have been in touch with, and I am truly happy to play on any of the franchises in this great league.

On a more personal note, Marcos, very few Mexican-American players have found the amount of success you have in this sport, how does it feel to represent your culture at this stage?
I mean it feels great, I am very prideful to have been born and to live in America, but I know my roots and it means a lot to be able to represent Mexicans in America. Nothing is impossible.

For those reading who may not know much about your play style, how would you describe your skillset? Don't be modest Marcos!
Hahaha, well I have a lot of growing to do still in this sport, but I have always been known for my shot and my on ice vision. I like to play keep-away and my opponents always know to be extra careful playing the puck in my range..I'll snatch it up if I see the chance!

We all know your dad is a diehard Texas Renegades fan, who do you cheer for in the SHL?
Growing up my house was a Renegades house, I was lucky enough as a kid to see the team bring home some titles and it really inspired me as a young athlete to push harder to achieve my goals. It's tougher now with everything to catch every game, when you're so immersed in the sport you find yourself more interested in the way the game is being played than the teams or players playing it. Deep down I'll always have a spot for the Renegades, but if I ever make it to that level, I'll be absolutely pumped to play for any of the storied franchises.

Any significance to the number 37, that you've worn since you were a youngster?
Yeah, there is a personal story behind it. My grandfather, whom I only met a handful of times used to use the number 37 for everything when talking to my dad...like "I told you 37 times to do this!" or "I'll be there in 37 minutes", in Spanish of course. Anyhow my dad made that my number when I first started playing and I've never looked back.

Switching gears back to the SMJHL, as a player, is there anything you'd like to let SMJHL GM's know about you?
I am confident, a great skater, and I have at some point captained every organization I have played with. I am not a selfish player and I feel like I read the ice very well. I believe a good coach, good teammates, and good management makes a player a better person on and off the ice, and I feel I can give back and make everyone I play with a better player. Once I decide on a team, I am prepared to leave everything on the ice night in and night out, win or lose.

Marcos, thanks so much for doing this, I know you have a press conference later today, good luck with that and the rest of your career. Everyone at home is rooting for you.
Thanks a lot.

[Image: cropped_microphones_1024x275.png]
WELCOME EVERYONE TO THE PRESS CONFERENCE, MARCOS MACIEL IS HERE NOW TO ANSWER ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS. HE WILL BE MAKING A DECISION ON A TEAM TOMORROW AT 12PM EST.

word count: 1100

Nice read, looking forward to seeing what your player can do =D>

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Great article!

Q. Any early front runners for your selected team in FA.

Nice article. Question time:

Interview Would you be interested in coming to St. Louis?

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

Quote:Originally posted by WhereIsWatkins+Jul 31 2016, 05:38 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1' id='QUOTE-WRAP'><tr><td>QUOTE (WhereIsWatkins @ Jul 31 2016, 05:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Great article!

Q. Any early front runners for your selected team in FA.[/b]

I am carefully researching each team and making sure I make the best career decision. It's early yet but some teams have made more of an effort that others.

<!--QuoteBegin-JKortesi81@Jul 31 2016, 05:50 PM
Nice article. Question time:

Interview Would you be interested in coming to St. Louis?
[/quote]

Definitely a possibility, not ruling out anyone yet.

Great to have you here!! (As a Texas kid myself, this article was AWESOME to read). Wishing you all the best in free agency!

Interview What or who have been some of your inspirations in hockey?

Interview What are your goals in the SMJHL and, later, in the SHL?

[Image: DrbPYHV.png]          [Image: UDyqktK.png]
[Image: WEd1wid.png]

Quote:Originally posted by mel24@Jul 31 2016, 06:17 PM
Great to have you here!! (As a Texas kid myself, this article was AWESOME to read). Wishing you all the best in free agency!

Interview What or who have been some of your inspirations in hockey?

Interview What are your goals in the SMJHL and, later, in the SHL?

My biggest inspirations in hockey have been guys like Mats Sundin, Joe Sakic, and Anze Kopitar. Players who own the ice they skate on and are weak in no ways. I pride myself on my well-roundedness and hope to be a leader like them.

As far as my goals in the SMJHL? I want to bring my team a title and make a splash. I want to go in the first round of the SHL draft and prove myself among the best players on the planet. I am always looking for a challenge and I am my biggest critic.