Create Account

Marcos Maciel of the MTL Militia here! AMA! Ask Me Anything!

Hey everyone I am Marcos Maciel. I am a Mexican-American centerman playing for the

Code:
988 words

Q&A So Far:

Quote:Originally posted by ztevans+Aug 8 2016, 03:01 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1' id='QUOTE-WRAP'><tr><td>QUOTE (ztevans @ Aug 8 2016, 03:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hey Marcos big fan plz reply what has been the biggest adjustment to playing in the SMJHL so far?[/b]

The biggest adjustment to playing in the SMJHL so far has without a doubt been pace. This league is full of the hungriest kids on the planet and all of them want the same thing: a world title and a shot to play in the SHL. Every single time you line up at the face-off dot, every time you fly into a corner after a puck, every time you try and find just a little bit of space to make a move you know you're into a dog fight...night in and night out. I've done a lot of growing physically in the offseason and now I need to start to adjust my frame to the pace of the game at hand.

Quote:Originally posted by Ballerstorm@Aug 8 2016, 03:22 PM<br />Hey Marcos thanks for doing this, you've struggled in the face off dot early in your career. What's do you think is the biggest reason for this?

There is no simple explanation and I don't believe in excuses. I signed as a Free Agent with Montreal after the preseason had already closed out. I think my layoff over the summer and getting thrown right into the fire probably contributed to my nervousness. I jumped into the big show, which has been my dream all of my life. I'm not disappointed as I am frustrated with how my season has started. I've already worked with some world-class talent since joining the team to work on my draw ability. As I said before I bulked up in the summer and I need to start using some of that strength to muscle through face-offs where I may be out skilled. Montreal is shuffling me between wing and center right now, I'm excited to try anything they have in mind..but I am a centerman, and I know I have SHL centerman qualities that should increase my draft stock, I just need to show it more.

Quote:Originally posted by mcculloughgulch@Aug 8 2016, 03:23 PM<br />

as a mexican-american, how have you felt like you've dealt with a big culture change cominng to montreal?

fave mexican food? fave montreal food? if you had to combine the two, how would you do it?

Montreal's struggled a little this season, but they've also got a lot of hardworking rookies who are bringing a lot to the table. how do you feel you've helped the team? how do you feel you can oand continue to help the team in the future?

The culture change hasn't been as tough as I thought at first, French is a pretty easy language to pick up when you're already fully fluent in Spanish. The weather is a lot colder here but the people have been great. Its true what they say about Canadian's and their niceness. On top of that, I've made a few trips down to Old Montreal while I've had the time and I'm always in awe of the history displayed. There are some monuments and historic buildings in Dallas, sure.. but Montreal has more of a European feel to it, its fascinating.

My favorite Mexican food has to be my mother's beef enchiladas with tomatillo sauce, that stuff is godly.

My favorite MTL food has to be poutine, it kicks the s**t out of the chili cheese fries they have in the US.

If I ate enchiladas verdes with fries gravy and cheese the team doctor would probably have me benched. Sound's disgustingly delicious though.

Quote:Originally posted by Nero@Aug 9 2016, 12:20 PM<br />Is man who drink gluten-free vodka not a man?

Funny you ask this as I am a celiac, I would say it depends on several factors. If a man drink's gluten free vodka because he likes the taste of potato vodka better then he is a man. If a man drinks gluten free vodka because he has celiac's disease and can't process gluten then he is still a man. However, if a man drinks gluten free vodka for no other reason then he is on a gluten free diet? He is no man.

<!--QuoteBegin-WinstonKodogo587@Aug 9 2016, 02:36 PM
Interview Hi Marcos, What's your views on the growing rivalry between your team Montreal and Detroit?[/quote]

A rivalry is great for the league, obviously a rivalry amplified by our deal to acquire Nero. Nero is a character for sure, but he's fit well in the locker room so far and I have only good things to say. I can't comment on what he's had to say about Detroit as I haven't any firsthand experience.
Outside of that there's definitely animosity on the ice, I wish we would have a better record against Detroit to speak of but it will come in due time. They do a lot of talking, and have said some classless things which are not a great look publicly for a team. I do my talking on the ice, literally and figuratively. Last week I had my first SMJHL fight, against Hans Moleman of Detroit. Emotions can run high on the ice, and I don't take tasteless words against my friends, myself, or my team lightly. It was definitely a war but he's smaller than me and I personally think I beat him up. I look forward to improving throughout the year and possibly meeting and then beating Detroit in a playoff match up.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks everyone for participating in the AMA, this community is awesome and I am sure I will be back for another in the coming future. Make sure you tune in to all of my Montreal Militia games, we are turning things around and it is an exciting time to be watching the SMJHL, playoffs are half a season away!

Militia

Hey Marcos big fan plz reply what has been the biggest adjustment to playing in the SMJHL so far?

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

Hey Marcos thanks for doing this, you've struggled in the face off dot early in your career. What's do you think is the biggest reason for this?

Quote:Originally posted by Zante@Aug 8 2016, 09:17 AM
Hey everyone I am Marcos Maciel. I am a Mexican-American centerman playing for the Montreal Militia of the SMJHL here to answer all of your questions. Ask me Anything!

as a mexican-american, how have you felt like you've dealt with a big culture change cominng to montreal?

fave mexican food? fave montreal food? if you had to combine the two, how would you do it?

montreal's struggled a little this season, but they've also got a lot of hardworking rookies who are bringing a lot to the table. how do you feel you've helped the team? how do you feel you can imprpve and continue to help the team in the future?

Answers will be edited onto the first post for easier grading!

Quote:Originally posted by ztevans+Aug 8 2016, 03:01 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1' id='QUOTE-WRAP'><tr><td>QUOTE (ztevans @ Aug 8 2016, 03:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hey Marcos big fan plz reply what has been the biggest adjustment to playing in the SMJHL so far?[/b]

The biggest adjustment to playing in the SMJHL so far has without a doubt been pace. This league is full of the hungriest kids on the planet and all of them want the same thing: a world title and a shot to play in the SHL. Every single time you line up at the face-off dot, every time you fly into a corner after a puck, every time you try and find just a little bit of space to make a move you know you're into a dog fight...night in and night out. I've done a lot of growing physically in the offseason and now I need to start to adjust my frame to the pace of the game at hand.

Quote:Originally posted by Ballerstorm@Aug 8 2016, 03:22 PM<br />Hey Marcos thanks for doing this, you've struggled in the face off dot early in your career. What's do you think is the biggest reason for this?

There is no simple explanation and I don't believe in excuses. I signed as a Free Agent with Montreal after the preseason had already closed out. I think my layoff over the summer and getting thrown right into the fire probably contributed to my nervousness. I jumped into the big show, which has been my dream all of my life. I'm not disappointed as I am frustrated with how my season has started. I've already worked with some world-class talent since joining the team to work on my draw ability. As I said before I bulked up in the summer and I need to start using some of that strength to muscle through face-offs where I may be out skilled. Montreal is shuffling me between wing and center right now, I'm excited to try anything they have in mind..but I am a centerman, and I know I have SHL centerman qualities that should increase my draft stock, I just need to show it more.

<!--QuoteBegin-mcculloughgulch@Aug 8 2016, 03:23 PM

Montreal's struggled a little this season, but they've also got a lot of hardworking rookies who are bringing a lot to the table. how do you feel you've helped the team? how do you feel you can oand continue to help the team in the future?
[/quote]

The culture change hasn't been as tough as I thought at first, French is a pretty easy language to pick up when you're already fully fluent in Spanish. The weather is a lot colder here but the people have been great. Its true what they say about Canadian's and their niceness. On top of that, I've made a few trips down to Old Montreal while I've had the time and I'm always in awe of the history displayed. There are some monuments and historic buildings in Dallas, sure.. but Montreal has more of a European feel to it, its fascinating.

My favorite Mexican food has to be my mother's beef enchiladas with tomatillo sauce, that stuff is godly.

My favorite MTL food has to be poutine, it kicks the s**t out of the chili cheese fries they have in the US.

If I ate enchiladas verdes with fries gravy and cheese the team doctor would probably have me benched. Sound's disgustingly delicious though.

Thanks for the questions guys, I will be hosting this AMA until end of day today for anyone else who wants to ask me anything.

Is man who drink gluten-free vodka not a man?

Quote:Originally posted by Nero@Aug 9 2016, 12:20 PM
Is man who drink gluten-free vodka not a man?

Funny you ask this as I am a celiac, I would say it depends on several factors. If a man drink's gluten free vodka because he likes the taste of potato vodka better then he is a man. If a man drinks gluten free vodka because he has celiac's disease and can't process gluten then he is still a man. However, if a man drinks gluten free vodka for no other reason then he is on a gluten free diet? He is no man.

Interview Hi Marcos, What's your views on the growing rivalry between your team Montreal and Detroit?

Quote:Originally posted by WinstonKodogo587@Aug 9 2016, 02:36 PM
Interview Hi Marcos, What's your views on the growing rivalry between your team Montreal and Detroit?

A rivalry is great for the league, obviously a rivalry amplified by our deal to acquire Nero. Nero is a character for sure, but he's fit well in the locker room so far and I have only good things to say. I can't comment on what he's had to say about Detroit as I haven't any firsthand experience.
Outside of that there's definitely animosity on the ice, I wish we would have a better record against Detroit to speak of but it will come in due time. They do a lot of talking, and have said some classless things which are not a great look publicly for a team. I do my talking on the ice, literally and figuratively. Last week I had my first SMJHL fight, against Hans Moleman of Detroit. Emotions can run high on the ice, and I don't take tasteless words against my friends, myself, or my team lightly. It was definitely a war but he's smaller than me and I personally think I beat him up. I look forward to improving throughout the year and possibly meeting and then beating Detroit in a playoff match up.