Create Account

S30 Championship Week

The playoffs are a super exciting time of the season. You know what makes them more exciting? Giving out a ton of TPE!

Here's how this will work: there are five tasks, each of which is worth 1 capped for completion, and up to 2 uncapped for putting in a little effort, for a total possible TPE payout of 5 capped and 10 uncapped. Some of these tasks have to be completed in later rounds, so while you can definitely get started now, there will be things to work on throughout the playoffs, even if your team has been eliminated. You can, however, complete them in any order and do as few or as many as you would like. Please put all your tasks in one post and edit to add on as you go.

To complete all 5 tasks, you'll have to do a mixture of written and graphics work. Don't worry, we won't grade too harshly as long as you put in some effort Smile

S31 DRAFTEES MAY NOT PARTICIPATE IN S30 PT'S! If you were signed as a FA after the SMJHL trade deadline, you are a S31 Draftee and are not eligible to earn TPE for this task.

Task #1 - Design a rally towel to be given away at one of the games.
Requirements: Must include at least one SMJHL logo and one sponsorship logo; must look like you at least kinda tried.

Task #2 - Cannot be done until round 1 is complete - Which line combination made the biggest positive impact in the final game of the series? Which made the biggest negative impact? Why?
Requirements: At least 200 words.

Task #3 - Trivia: .5 uncapped for each correct answer
***PM these answers to the <a href='index.php?showuser=2092' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>SMJHL PT Director</a> account***If you post the answers, you will be disqualified from earning TPE in this task. If you PM the answers to Jenny or ej27, you will be disqualified from earning TPE in this task.

1. Who was the playoff point leader in S17?
2. Which two teams have won the most 4 star cups?
3. Who was the GM of the first SMJHL team to win the 4 star cup?
4. What is the name of the cup winning team that no longer exists?

Task #4 - Pick one of the 3 stars of any game and write about how their team would have fared without them. Would the results of the game have been the same?
Requirements: At least 200 words

Task #5 - Cannot be done until after the end of the second round -
Predict how the finals would have gone down if the two teams eliminated in the second round had advanced instead. Which team would be hoisting the cup, and why? How many games would it have taken to determine a winner? - or - Create a playoff poster for the finals with the two alternate teams.
Requirements: At least 150 words for the written. Must include 2 logos and 1 player render for the graphic.

DEADLINE FOR ALL TASKS: 3 full days after the final PBP is complete, Tuesday, September 20, 7:59 AM EST.

As always, SMJHL rookies only. Claims will go in the claim thread, PT cap is 30, remain in your seat until a stoppage in play, etc.

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates

task 1: [Image: unknown.png]
task 2: The pair/line that made the most impact on the ice was Tapper Kottbulle-Barak Obrana. Together, the pair had a staggering 5 points, which is tied for the most in this game by any line combination(Selich-Watkins-Hertzberg), but that line was carried by Selich and Hertzberg's contributions. The pair also combined for 4 shots blocked, nearly 50 minutes just between the two, and around 10 powerplay minutes as well as 10 penalty kill minutes. Obrana was alot more physical than Kottbulle, with 2 hits, and took 3 shots to Kottbulle's 0. Surprisingly, most of Prince George had a negative +/- in this game despite winning, and Obrana-Kottbulle were one of the few to have a positive one.

The pair/line that did the least out on the ice was the Eichelele-Browski-McGraw line, with the Mammoths 1st line registering a huge 0 points in 60 minutes played in their 6th and final game against the Kelowna Knights. Eichelele, Browski and McGraw secured a large percentage of the Mammoth production, with a combined 52 points in 50 games, which considering Colorado's weak offense, is actually quite a bit. The fact that they couldn't even secure a point is concerning, and with at least Eichelele returning next season, they'll have to up their production.

task 3: done

task 4: In the final game of the 4 game series between PGF and Kelowna, Ben Waters was incredible, saving 28 of 29 to help the Prince George Firebirds win an 8th consecutive playoff game. But according to Waters, he was not the most influential player in this series. Eduard Selich, first line winger of the Prince George Firebirds, had another 3 point game, bringing his point total to 17 over his 10 playoff games. He was absolutely vital in securing the victory for this 4th game of the series. He registered the number 1 star for this game, with 1 goal and 2 assists, registering a secondary assist on Karl Hertzberg's equalizing goal, scored the game winner, and had a primary assist on NoRetornable`s powerplay score. Selich had 4 shots on net and played around 25 minutes. But his performance is insignificant when describing his impact to the game. Selich is most likely a future team captain, and this prediction can be attributed to his incredible locker room presence. Much of the Prince George firebirds' run was based on Selich's motivational words in the first series, and Waters definitely appreciates the work he's done on and off.

task 5: The Kelowna Knights, who won in 6 vs the Colorado Mammoths in the first round before being shockingly eliminated in 4 games, were the favorites to take home the 4 star cup this season. The Montreal Militia, who surprised the defending champion St.Louis Scarecrows in 7 games before losing to the Raiders in 6, were much more of a shock entrance into the conference finals. Who would've won the series, had they both made it instead of the eventual finalists? Well it's hard not to go with the favorites here, and here's why:

Kelowna is 5 and 1 against Montreal for the S30 regular season. That one loss being attributed to Max Smith-Frey, starting goaltender, Jason Aittokallio, rookie sensation and future top goalie pick in the SHL draft, is actually undefeated against the Montreal Militia. Kelowna, obviously, being the president's trophy winners for the SMJHL, have an incredibly potent offense, with the likes of Justs Sirmais, Beau Bent and Trevor Wilson, as well as a strong top 3 in Hohenberg, Kasparek and Justice. Montreal lacks a consistent starting goaltender, with both being on/off on an alternating basis, and lacks a strong offensive defenseman core, with Hallfredsson, their future at defense, being a more stay-at-home defenseman.

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page

Task 1: -
Task 2:
In my opinion, many players contributed to Montreal’s first round game 7 win. It was a team effort. But if you want to praise a certain line for exceptional effort, it has to be Montreal’s first powerplay unit.
Granlund-Angello-Wells
Forbrook-Määttä
In that game they certainly showed Montreal’s best strength- powerplay- in it’s fullest.
All 3 forwards and Forbrook scored 1 point each in powerplay, including the OT game winning goal by Wells. They are one of the strongest powerplay units in the whole league, and this game proved that.
Talking about the worst lines in that game, I think it was St. Louis 2nd line.
Nate Akeson played 22 minutes, of which 10 were penalty kill minutes. He ended the game with no shots, no hits/blocked shots, no points and a -1 rating.
Frans Erichsen played 11 minutes but only made 1 hit and also had a -1 rating.
Kelly Rivet played 25 minutes and didn’t get any points and also ended the game with a -1 rating.
Darryl Landry played about 20 minutes, didn’t score and had a -1 rating. He made 1 hit and blocked 2 shots though, but that was nowhere near his capabilities.
Only good player in that line was Eugene Feist, who won 23/36 faceoffs and scored a goal.
Surprisingly many of the other players had positive or neutral ratings, but this particular line, in my opinion, played the “biggest role” in their loss.
Code:
Word count:241

Task 3: sent

Task 4:
Game 6 would have endend completely in a different way if the stars of this game weren’t playing.
According to official game stats, the three stars of the game were:
1 - Nolan Angello (MTL)
2 - Matthew Shea (MTL)
3 - Willy Mack (STL)
I can’t argue with first 2 choices, but I’mg going to explain why I am going to choose another player as the 3rd star.

Willy Mack - St. Louis.
What?? He scored 1 goal in 12 minutes of ice time, but his team lost the game by 2 goals. I’m gonna say that there was a player on Montreal's roster who deserves to be the third star-
Kristofer Hallfredsson.
Kris scored a goal and had an assist, and he also blocked a shot. What’s so good about that, you’d say? Kris is a defensive defender who scored 1 goal in the whole regular season. I can imagine the morale boost the team experienced when Kristofer scored the opening goal. It just showed that even players who aren’t known for their offense could score that day. Without him, maybe, Montreal could have found the necessary morale boost to eventually win the game, but with Kris it definitely was easier.
To be honest, the same could be said about the second star, Matthew Shea. He also scored a goal and assisted once, but, unlike Hallfredsson, he didn’t get any penalties. Only this little statistical difference was what made Shea the second star, but Kris- third. Anyways, this defensive pair was exceptional and played a crucial part in Montreal's win.
But the first star of this game played even bigger role in that game. Nolan Angello. The guy who wasn’t scoring much until the middle of the regular season managed to be one of the top scorers at the end of it, continued to dominate in the playoffs. And boy, what a game he had. 3 assists and a goal. He scored that goal which tied the game at 3, and assisted on first, second and fifth goals for Montreal. If it wasn’t his extraordinary play, then I don’t know what else made Montreal get the advantage in this game. First star name is truly deserved for Angello.
Code:
Word count:366

Task 5:
Montreal-Kelowna finals would be very interesting to watch. Kelowna initially were the favorites to win the cup by many people. But, to be honest, I predicted that Kelowna wouldn’t do good in playoffs. They struggled against Colorado, and after such a disappointing series where the Knights were expected to dominate, I was almost sure that PGF would win against them. But Kelowna didn’t just lose to the Firebirds. They got swept.
Speaking about Montreal, they struggled against strong rivals- St. Louis, and lost to underdogs- Halifax. But, in my personal opinion, Montreal lost because of unsuccessful tactical changes. If we would had won, I think that the finals would be played with different tactics, and I would expect Montreal to win it all.
Here are the reasons why, in my opinion, Montreal would be the stronger of the two sides:
#1- Poor performance by Jason Aitokallio.
Already a famous goalie because of his father, Jason had high expectations on him as well. In the series against PGF, Aitto had a >0.900 save rating only once. That’s not enough to win. Kelowna outshot PGF 3 times in the series and still lost. That’s just poor play.
#2- This goes hand in hand with the reason number 1- poor efficiency. Kelowna managed to send heat to Waters’s net, but they just couldn’t score. If that would continue, that would definitely make Kelowna lose the series.
And last but not least, reason #3- Montreal’s PP. Their strongest aspect of the game and probably Montreal had the strongest PP in the whole league. I believe that if Montreal’s PP would be just 60% as good as it was against St. Louis, they would get the Four Star cup.
Code:
Word count- 285

Task #1:
[Image: vhpqu697.jpg]

Task #2:
Last game between PGF 6 - VAN 5 double OT
Biggest positive impact : Watkins-Selich-Hertzberg.
PGF's first forward line made by far the biggest positive impact in this game. They had a total of 9 shots in this game which equals to 25% of PGF's shot total in this game. 3 player contributing that much is just something you do not see that much. These 3 also scored half of the goals for PGF to be exact Eduard Selich scored 1 goal and Karl Hertzberg scored 3 goals and the eventual Overtime game winner. That line also won 53% of their FO which gave PGF some good chances. That line also proceed to get 2 out of the 3 stars of the game selection. The second star was give to Karl Hertzberg, the first star was given to Eduard Selich.
Biggest negative impact : Pham-Monkey
PGF's first defender line made a really negative impact for PGF in this game , to be fair the exact opposite of their forwards playing infront of them. Pham was -4 in this game with 0 points and 2 PIMS. Monkey was also pointless and had even 4 PIMS. Both made 33% of PGF's PIMS in this game with is quite the big number and just did not do their job as Defenders.
Code:
218 words
Task #3 :
Done

Task#4
Game 31 PGF 2 vs KEL 1
Second Star Ben Waters:
You can easilly say that this game was carried really hard by Ben Waters the rookie goalie out of Montreal , Quebec. Without Ben this game should have been lost if you really evalute the stats. He saved 18 out of 19 shots that he faced. This can also be called standing on his head which led to a 94,7 Save percentage. Ben also only allowed only 4 rebounds on these saves which is a nice stat saying that only every fith shot that he saves will end up being a rebound. Ben also managed the feed of having an assist in this game by passing to his teammate named Sven Wolf who proceeded to get the puck to Hunky Monkey who scored the opening goal of this game. Some might say that he only had to face 19 shots in this whole game and therefore this performance is not as stellar as one might think while only looking at his save percentage. But he definitely was the backbone of Prince George's defense that game and even was able to contribute on the offensive side with an assist which is very unusual for a goalie and even unheard of in the playoffs. All in all one can say that these playoffs were a superb showing by the rookie goalie.
Code:
230 words

Task#5:
Alternate Cup Final: KEL vs MTL
When you rewrite history and say that Kelowna has won against Prince George instead of being swept and that Montreal wins against Halifax instead of being beaten in 6 games the winner of the alternate cup final should be Kelowna. The Knights won 5 out of the 6 matches against the militia in the regular season, 4 of them being in regulation and won after a Shootout. The Knights really dominated all the regular season games which is proven by the 20 goals the Knights scored and the only 11 goals they had to concede against the Militia. I think the finals would have ended after 5 games some games might be more close scoring than others. The Knights having the home advantage is also something that heavilly favors them in this final series.
So overall my alternate cup final is Kelowna winning against Montreal in 5 games.
Code:
154 words

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

Task 1: [Image: 207bd92e14.jpg] Please don't be to harsh, I made this on an app on my phone.

Task 2: The line that had the biggest impact in game 7 of the Scarecrows/Militia series was the first line of Granlund, Angello and Wells. They managed 8 shots in total on the game and were responsible for the very late game tying goal, and the winner in OT. Both very important goals in the series that managed to push the Militia on. They were a strong line all series, but this was the biggest game of the series for them by far. Notably, Angello who was clutch under pressure to score the tying goal with just over 2 minutes left.
The line with the most negative impact in this game was the 3rd line of the Scarecrows of Escobar, McHale and Visser. They didn't have a horrible game stats wise. It was their inability to stay out of the penalty box that had the negative impact. They had a combined 6 penalty minutes during the game, which you can't do against a team like Montreal that has such a strong power play. In this game alone, 3 of the Militias goals were on the power play. While the Crows did give up 12 power play opportunities in total, this line needed to be more sensible and careful.

Task 3: Done

Task 4:<div align="center">Game Link </div>
In the 40th game of the playoffs, which was a match up between the Halifax Raiders and Montreal Militia, one player really stood out. That player was Jean-Luc Reflieux. Having an assist on the game opening goal and scoring the final insurance marker, to put the game out of reach at 4-2, if he wasn't in the lineup then there's no game opening goal from hom for the Raiders to start their momentum and also no goal to put them 2 ahead. Without him its only a 2-2 game. Not only did Reflieux have 2 points in the game, he led all players with 8 shots on net. The next closest shot total on either team was 4. If he wasn't finding the back of the net he was consistently putting the puck to it in hopes of making a scoring chance. He had the most time on ice of anyone either, once again capitilazing on every chance he got. Also when called to the faceoff dot, Reflieux managed to go a respectable 50%, a decent percentage or a winger. So in closing, if Reflieux hadn't played in this game, I feel that we could of won this game for sure and maybe carried that momentum right on to capture game 7 and move to the 4 Star cup finals.

Task 5: If we were to reverse the teams in the final the we would be looking at a Montreal Militia and Kelowna Knights final. My homerism would say the Militia would take it. The realistic part of me thoigh says Kelowna would of taken it. Kelowna dominated our regular season series this year, going 5 and 1. The Kniggts would of just been to much for the Militia. We relied on our powerplay quite a bit during the playoffs and I have a feeling that would hurt us in this hypothetical series. Kelowna is not known for taking to many penalties, so we would of needed to count on our even strength play. While it's not horrible I just don't think we would of been any match for the Knights. Aito was not great during the playoffs, but probably would of ended up finding his game against us, as during the regular season Kelowna won 5 of 6 games. Their one loss was with Smith-Frey in net. I think in the end the Knights would of taken this series in 6, hard fought games.

[Image: Bk1689.gif]

<div align="center">Task #1
[Image: ouMs82w.jpg?1]</div>
Quote:Task #2 -Requirements: At least 200 words = 234 Words.
<div align="center">Game 28 link</div>
The St. Louis Scarecrows first line has a duo of absolute killers in Joe Kurczewski and Ronnie Westbrook, paired with the invisible Willy Mack this first line dominated possession when they were on the ice. Going 8/11 on the face off dot Ronnie Westbrook consistently kept the Scarecrows on the attack in a game that saw Montreal go on the power play twelve fucking times. If it weren't for the strong effort from Westbrook and Kurczewski the game could have easily slipped out of the Crows control-but they stayed in it through the end of regulation. Near the end of the third period the first line produced a timely goal from Westbrook off the stick of Kurczewsk and defenseman Nick Celej.

The line for St. Louis that failed to produce consisted of Jason Visser, Scott Escobar, and Michael McHale. In the nine minutes these three were on the ice together they managed to endlessly turn the puck over and only took a combined 5 shots. These slackers inevitably costed the Crows the game with their lackluster play. McHale and Escobar each took a few trips to the box the two accounted for 1/3 of the 12 penalties charged against St. Louis in game 7. Visser and Escobar combined to win only 4/12 draws in the game. Fucking despicable.

Code:
Task #3 Boner
Quote:Task #4 -Requirements: At least 200 words = 227 words
<div align="center">Game 12 link</div>
<b>Game 12 of the S30 SMJHL playoffs saw Joe Kurczewski spark the St. Louis Scarecrows offense to overcome the Militia in Montreal. The third period began with the Militia holding on to a 1-0 lead after a first period power play goal by Viktor Nerokov. After nearly 30 minutes of chasing the game- Crows alternate captain Kurczewski finally capitalized- at 2:44 into the period Joe scored once again for his third goal in three games against Montreal.
<div align="center">[Image: nfB7Kpt.png]</div>
On his eighth of nine shots in the game, Kurczewski found the back of the net and made Montreal pay after a defensive zone turn-over. Joe led both teams in shots, and carried the Scarecrows- shooting five more times than any other player on the team. All season long Kurczewski has driven the offense in St. Louis, and he has stepped up his game big time for the Crows in the playoffs. His game tying goal brought life to the St. Louis bench, Just over two minutes after Kurczewski opened the scoring for the Scarecrows; the game winner was scored by Casper Ek at 5:12. If It weren't for his efforts putting pucks on goal all night long- St. Louis wouldn't have been able to beat Montreal goalie Jeff Kirkstone who held a shut out through 42 minutes of play. </b>

Quote:Task #5 - At least 150 =170

<div align="center">The Kelowna Knights and the Montreal Militia got fucked out of round two in the SMJHL playoffs. If the two teams had met in the four star cup finale it's easy to say Kelowna would likely come away victorious. In the regular season series the Knights overpowered Montreal scoring practically twice as many goals than the Militia. In 6 games played the total goal count was 20-11 in favor of Kelowna.

However fuck that notion -the Militia were banging in the first round of the playoffs, in the alternate universe where Montreal defeats Halifax in the second round they would continue on and put a damper on the Knights incredible season. Kelowna was shitting on everyone in the regular season but struggled immediately in the playoffs. They dropped games in the first round to the Mammoths- they were swept in the second by Prince George. I think Montreal would get the best of a stacked team that struggled to find the back of the net in the post season.
</div>

[Image: 4sN9yMR.png]

Task 1: [Image: q209tJJ.jpg]

Task 2: Positive Impact: The line that contributed to Halifax's Game 5 win the most positively was Halifax's first offensive line of Casper Jakobsson, Pietra Volkova, and Jean-Luc Reflieux. All three of Halifax's stars were +1 on the night. This line captained the offensive onslaught to come back and take the game from Detroit after they had scored two goals in quick succession. Centreman Casper Jakobsson led the attack, scoring a goal and an assist in the third to secure the victory for Halifax. Reflieux would be the primary assist on Jakobsson's goal, and all three (miraculously) stayed out of the penalty box to ensure no liabilities.

Negative Impact: Detroit's fourth-line defense was inefficient in Game 5 of this series, and may have in fact been the reason they lost in this must-win situation. Defenseman Chadathy Brodangleschlong accrued 4 PIM on the night, including a penalty that would lead to the first of three consecutive Halifax goals not three seconds later. This power play goal for Halifax would prove to be the momentum shifter, and Detroit would fall easily after that. Aside from gooning it up on the ice, the line was bizarrely unproductive, amounting to 0 shots on net with one blocked shot between the two of them. This was exactly the type of line Detroit did not need in an elimination game.

Task 3: Completed!

Task 4: Without Pietra Volkova, the first game of the finals would have most likely ended in a Prince George victory, and the series might have had a very different momentum right off the bat. The third star of the game gave every last bit of effort to ensure that Halifax clawed their way to an overtime victory. Volkova had four shots on net on the night and a 100% percentage in the dot to ensure the maximum possible puck possession for her team. After an early boarding penalty, the normally fiery winger did her best to stay out of the box in order to contribute to her team as much as possible. Her contributions to the special team units would ultimately prove to be Halifax's salvation. Volkova's third period power play goal, coming off the sticks of her star right winger and defenseman, would be the last goal tallied in regulation for a tightly fought game. This would be foreshadowing for a tight series that would feature three overtimes in seven game, as well as a series winning goal with no more than three minutes left in the third. Volkova's game-tying goal would be a great momentum-booster for the Raiders, and she would go on to set up the game winning goal with an easy secondary assist on the goal that ended the game after barely a minute in overtime.

Task 5: [Image: c2n5sMM.jpg]

[Image: shlpris41.gif]
sig credits
[Image: FJ4Sjuj.png] |[Image: apAE8qn.png] | [Image: uEsOaLl.png]
[Image: 2dtdoyf.png]
Former affiliates: raiders Jets Stars

1)

2) Game 7 Scarecrows vs Militia: The line with the most positive impact was easily Granlund - Angello - Wells. They were responsible for a third of Montreal’s shots in the game, and likely the two most important goals of the game. Angello tied the game late on the powerplay on a feed from Granlund that sent the game into overtime and gave Montreal the chance to win. Wells then stepped up in overtime with a powerplay goal of his own to push Montreal through to the second round of the playoffs. It’s unlikely the team could have won without this line showing up to play. As far as negative impact, the obvious choice is St Louis’ top line of Westbrook – Mack – Kurczewski who all contributed to the Scarecrows long night in the penalty box. While Westbrook and Kurczewski picked up a point each, they couldn’t find a way to get the W. It was Willy Mack who was in the box in overtime when Wells scored the game winning goal. The whole team was undisciplined but when you’re having a game like that you need your top line to step up and take responsibility. In this case St Louis’ top line couldn’t get the job done and quite possibly cost their team a trip to round 2.

3) PM'd

4) Game 4 Scarecrows vs Militia: Jeff Kirkstone had something to prove after game 3, where Kyle Wahlgren narrowly outdueled him in a 2-1 victory for the Scarecrows. A season of questions surrounding his consistency and ability to be a starting goalie led to a game 4 must win situation that brought out the best in Kirkstone. While he only faced 20 shots, and his team provided plenty of goal support, a lot of the momentum of the game was a direct result of Kirkstone providing top notch goaltending. St Louis opened the scoring in the 1st, and the potential of facing a 3-1 series deficit never worried Kirkstone. He rallied the boys in the locker room, told them that was the only one St Louis would get. All his team needed to do was go find a couple of goals and he’d hold down the fort the rest of the way. The 2nd period was back and forth, but Kirkstone and Wahlgren went save for save. Late in the period Montreal tied the game up and it was time for Kirkstone to keep his promise. St Louis rallied with the next 5 straight shots, all of which Kirkstone handled with ease. The goalies continued their stellar play until halfway through the 3rd when Montreal blew the game open. Kirkstone didn’t face much after that. He kept his team going early, and gave them that opportunity to take the win late.

5) Alternate Finals Montreal vs Kelowna: I honestly believe Montreal would have been able to defeat Kelowna in a 7 game series. Halifax managed to quiet our deadly powerplay, only to the point of not affecting the outcome but that was all it took. Against a team like Kelowna I think our powerplay would have chewed them up. We had two goalies capable of matching with Aittokallio and our depth ran further than theirs. Not to mention our weak penalty kill would not have been exposed considering their awful powerplay in the playoffs. The only area of Kelowna’s game that might have made things difficult is how strong they were on faceoffs. Having possession is key and they likely would have had control of the puck more often, potentially slowing down our powerplay. The series would have went all 7 games, and I’m sure an overtime or two would have been necessary, but in the end Montreal would have found a way to make their PK pay.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

Saving my spot as well!

Task #1 - I present to you the most Vancouver Towel ever. Even comes riot proof!

[Image: jexZJHD.jpg]

Task#2 (280 words)

VAN vs PGF - Game 6: 6-5 OT win for PGF

Negative

Alfred Holiday 0-0-0 +/-: -2 MP: 22:44
Carl Farris 0-0-0 +/-: - 1 MP: 16:56

The 3rd pairing for the Whalers showed exactly why they are so low in the depth chart with their game 6 performance (besides them being inactive). Being -3 collectively in the series deciding game, and being on the ice when the game winner was scored in OT, while not contributing offensively at all has this pairing being the worst line for either team for the final game of this first round series. A fitting end for what will most likely be the end of their SMJHL careers, and maybe have ended their SHL ones as well before even starting.

Positive

Selich 1-2-3 +/-: 1 MP 22:39
Watkins 0-0-0 +/-: 0 MP: 21:57
Hertzberg 2-0-2 +/-: 0 MP: 19:46

Selich coming up with another monster performance, as well as Hertzberg putting 2 on the board puts this line as the top performers for Game 6. Watkins seemed more or less to a passenger for these two as they put their team over the top. Selich setting up the game winner, and with Hertzberg were 50% of the teams high total of goals for this game. Without their performances and later game heroics the PGF would have been heading back to Vancouver for a winner take all Game 7, but rather than play with fate, they took control of the game, and won the contest for their team. Selich is making a huge case for himself the more time he is one the ice to be a top 5 pick this draft, and look for him to continue his progress and adding onto his already impressive 10 PTS thru the first round.

Task #3 Complete!

Task #4 (274 Words)

Game Link - PGF vs VAN - Game 5

Carl Farris – VAN – 2G – 0A– 22:20
One of the few bright spots as the game fell apart slowly for the Whalers, Farris stepped his game up late and tried to hold his team in the game going late into the 3rd and Overtime. The whalers had a lot of bright spots going into the 2nd period but most of those faded quickly but Farris remained fully invested in the game. Without him, the game may have truly run away from his team and there might not have even been the chance to win in OT.

Eduard Selich – PGF – 1G – 2A – 24:51 3rd tying goal set up winner
As the year has progressed this rookie has really started to pick up steam with his play and tonight with his teams back on the wall Selich seemed to kick into another gear all together and put his team on his back and almost force them to win. Tying the game in the 2nd, and setting up the winner in OT. Selich has really started to develop into a premier young player and without his performance the Firebirds would be down 3-2 not up.

Johnny Pollak – PGF – 1G – 1A – 27:35 2nd goal set up 4th
The Firebirds Cookie monster for minutes played. He got the firebirds with striking distance with the 2nd goal, set up the 4th goal, and played key minutes in shutting the Whalers down when it counted both in Regular time and in OT. Again without this level of performance from Pollak there would have been no shot at even remotely winning for the Firebirds coming out of the 1st period.

Task #5:

[Image: sdSlkA3.jpg]

[Image: 4zfXx6o.gif]

Saddly, do not apply the rules and am not allowed to do this PT ;(.

Guidlines:
Task #1
[Image: towel.png]

Task #2 - Cannot be done until round 1 is complete - Which line combination made the biggest positive impact in the final game of the series? Which made the biggest negative impact? Why?

Task #3
PM has been sent!

Task #4
The playoffs for the Detroit Falcons did not start on a positive note. Some would say that first two games showed that Halifax Raiders are here to win and advance without giving Detroit Falcons any chance. First two games easily went into the Raiders baskets, and even Nucky Toohoots showed up in the first game, scoring one of the three total Falcon goals, he was absent in the second game and did not score which lead to a complete destruction of Falcons with a score 3:6 in favour of Raiders.

Finally we saw Nucky to be back on the scoring in the third game of the both team playoff rivalry but it was still short and Raiders were leading already 3:0 in total of games won. That was it, one game was left and Raiders only needed one game to cut the wings of a Falcon. And that would have been reality if not for Nucky Toohoots who showed up to the game with a mind-set that this round is not over yet. As they say – the worst enemy is the enemy who has nothing to lose, and Nucky Toohoots was exactly that enemy. After his teammate Hans Moleman scored first two goals for Falcons in the first 4min of the game and Halifax Raiders player Pietra Volkova managed to put one in Falcons net, showing that they are still in it, Nucky Toohoot said “No” and broke the spirit of Raiders by scoring two more goals and making the score 4:1 in favour of Falcons. If not for these finishing moves from Nucky Toohoots, Raiders most likely would have fought and ended this with a victory in the game and in the first playoff round. Now Falcons have chance to do a come-back and it’s all thanks to Nucky Toohoot!

Predict how the finals would have gone down if the two teams eliminated in the second round had advanced instead. Which team would be hoisting the cup, and why? How many games would it have taken to determine a winner? - or - Create a playoff poster for the finals with the two alternate teams.
Requirements: At least 150 words for the written. Must include 2 logos and 1 player render for the graphic.

Knights - Player Page - Update Page - Knights

[Image: 47963_s.gif]

Code:
Ready for grading

Requirements: Must include at least one SMJHL logo and one sponsorship logo; must look like you at least kinda tried.

What do you mean by sponsorship logo? I have no idea so I just modified an existing logo and that'll have to do, dammit.

[Image: tAa45tU.png]

Code:
230 words in total
POSITIVE
In game 7 of the Montreal vs St. Louis series, the first line of Angello - Granlund - Wells stepped up big, providing 2 goals and 1 assist. And while that doesn't sound like much in numbers across three players, the full story is different: Angello's goal was the game tying goal on the powerplay that sent the game to OT in a 4-4 tie and Wells' goal was the OT series winning goal that sent the Montreal Militia to the second round. Something could also be said about the Montreal Militia powerplay lines as Montreal scored a total of 5 goals in game 7, of which 3 were on the powerplay.

NEGATIVE
The second defensive line consisting of Hallfredsson and Shea perhaps made the biggest negative impact on the game as evident by the fact that Hallfredsson had the worst +/- of the entire game at -3 and Shea also had a -2. While both men are solid defenseman and did indeed contribute during this series, a -3 and a -2 +/- in such an important game is never a good thing and the fact that the second defensive line had such bad puck management that lead to goals being scored while they were on the ice certainly contributed to the fact that they perhaps were the biggest negative in this game for Montreal. But nobody is perfect and these types of games happen.

***PM these answers to the SMJHL PT Director account***If you post the answers, you will be disqualified from earning TPE in this task. If you PM the answers to Jenny or ej27, you will be disqualified from earning TPE in this task.

1. Who was the playoff point leader in S17?
2. Which two teams have won the most 4 star cups?
3. Who was the GM of the first SMJHL team to win the 4 star cup?
4. What is the name of the cup winning team that no longer exists?

PM has been sent.

Task #4 - Pick one of the 3 stars of any game and write about how their team would have fared without them. Would the results of the game have been the same?
Requirements: At least 200 words

Code:
Word count: 225
After beating the Scarecrows in Game 1, the Montreal Militia lost 2 games in a row (games 2 and 3) against the Scarecrows and they needed a big performance from their goaltender Jeff Kirkstone who replaced Stephen Harris as the Montreal Militia starting goaltender after he gave up 8 goals in the first 2 games of the series.

In the losing effort of Game 3, Jeff Kirkstone stopped 26 out of 28 shots he faced and his team narrowly lost 2-1. But in Game 4, in order to prevent his team from falling behind 1-3 in the series, Jeff Kirkstone stopped 19 out of the 20 shots he faced in Game 4, forcing the series to a 2-2 tie. While the Montreal outshot St.Louis in Game 4 29-20, they also outshot them in both game 2 and 3 losses (37-22 and 29-28 respectively) and this time, Jeff Kirkstone kept even fewer pucks from going behind him, allowing only one goal in Game 4 while his team cruised to a 4-1 win, scoring 3 goals on the powerplay. And they wouldn't have had the confidence to play a game like that if it wasn't for the strong performance of Jeff Kirkstone who kept his team alive in the series and made it one of the most exciting games for many of the Montreal Militia rookies' careers.

Link to game - Montreal Militia - St.Louis Scarecrows Game 4

[Image: MncLgTz.png]

4Star Cup Montreal - Kelowna FULL RES

DEADLINE FOR ALL TASKS: 3 full days after the final PBP is complete, 11:59PM EST.

As always, SMJHL rookies only. Claims will go in the claim thread, PT cap is 30, remain in your seat until a stoppage in play, etc.

Task 1:
[Image: k08eZ8k.jpg]

Task 2:
In the deciding game of the first round series, the Kelowna Knights had no true best line. If we were to name a best line, we'd be like the other teams. We'd be less of a team, we'd be individuals and competing amongst ourselves.

Luckily, we actually do that. Or at least, I do. So I can say that the Knight's best line was the third line, centered by Beau Bent.

Bent led the team with six shots, playing alongside Michael Burrows who seemed to be held back by the coaching staff for no discernable reason. And Vasily Horvat managed an assist on Bent's game winning goal over Ekaterina Rudnikova.

In this case, they were the only truly discernably successes of the Knights during the game. Horvat led the team with 3 hits. The defense performed as a unit -- they allowed only 17 shots on goal -- and the offense was spectacular for possession, primarily through Bent and Alex Light.

Overall, the Knights best line was the one with the best possession, and it appears to be Beau Bent who led the way.

As for the worst impact by a line, it was for the only line to finish the game with a negative in their plus/minus. The top pairing and top line of the Colorado Mammoths seemed incapable of dominance, tiring out quickly due to an abnormal high amount of playing time. They obviously were the worst in the way the third line of the Knights was the best.

Quote:[b]Word Count: 250[/b]

Task 3:
PM'd

Task 4:
It is impossible, at the least, to believe the Knights would be anywhere near contention for the Four Star Cup if not for their captain Dieter Dominique. It’s not to say that the one affectionately nicknamed Deets hasn’t had his fair share of poor games, he has. He’s made mistakes at times. Junior players are prone to them. However, all it takes a look at the first game of the S30 SMJHL postseason to get a sense of the value brought upon by Dominique’s play.

In a season that was trying for the confidence of Dominique, it appeared the captain was in full control in Kelowna. The first three goals of the game were scored by the Knights, two in the first period and one in the second. Each of those goals, to show the value of a captain, was assisted by Dominique. The third goal would even prove to be the game winner.

While the assists are unconventional – we’ll call them Kobe assists for now – they were the necessary strikes to undermine the Mammoths at their base. Dominique ended the game with a stunning 8 shots on goal, a single hit and was defensively as sound as ever. He’s never been a physical force, but he’s always been strong in positioning which is even more necessary. As such, he helped the lead the team and outshoot the Mammoth 53 to 9.

Dominique was winning face-offs, playing a remarkable and team-leading seven powerplay minutes, and being the driving force and primary assist on Justs Sirmais scoring the only powerplay goal of the affair. In all Dieter Dominique is a player that could never be replaced on the Knights, and as such, deserved to be named among the three stars of the first game.

Quote:[b]Word Count: 293[/b]

Task 5:
If there were a battle of two of the more historic teams in the history of the <s>NWJHL</s> SMJHL, we'd see the obvious victory for the Kelowna Knights. Montreal, truly, had no reason to be so high.

It's a sad thing, sure. Montreal flipped between goaltenders throughout the playoffs -- Kirkstone played 10 games while Harris played in 7 -- and no such disorder has ever succeeded. We've never seen a team manage to succeed purely off the success of their flippant personality.

Meanwhile, the Knights had consistency. Consistency, strength. They had the goaltender of the future, and the offense to boost it. While some would say they were more heavily offensive, they're also the team that typically was best at possession. They were the winners of the regular season for a reason, after all.

Trevor Wilson managed to be the major star of the Knights as a rookie, but the depth is what mattered. While the Militia could've been great, they failed in having too much depth at the position you need consistency, and failing to perform in the way the Knights could've.

Kelowna would've easily handled the Militia in 5 games, with Kirkstone appearing in three of them likely and stealing one in Game 3.

Quote:[b]Word Count: 206[/b]

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

Part #1

[Image: g8hwvHb.jpg]

I did a better job of blending the City of PG logo than the actual PGF logo. But, meh. That's a huge blend and texture to grab from

Part #2

Code:
272 words

The biggest positive impact came from the first line of Price George with the combination of Levi Watkins, Eduard Selich, and Karl Hertzberg. Accounting for 5 total points in the final game, it is understandable why Selich and Hertzberg were the 1st and 2nd stars respectively. Selich ended the game with 1 goal, 2 assists, and a barrage of 7 shots throughout the game landing him Price George's only powerplay goal of the game. Hertzberg would pull in an assist with Selich on a goal from Pollak and then hang around until OT where he would set up the Game winning goal from an assist from Pham and Selich (again). With Watkins centering with a 56% in the faceoff circle, it is clear that their dominance and great play put the Firebirds over the top in game 6. Selich and Hertzberg both participated on the powerplay with Levi joining them on the penalty kill unit which may have been one of the deciding factors as Vancouver was on the powerplay 5 times, but could only capitalize once.

The weakest line was the trio of Riccardelli, Shnekinsen, and Bulgogi. With a total +/- of -3 they were just the weak link in the Prince George defense in game 6. They did not produce any points and gave up their share of the overall score. Keep in mind that only Riccardelli was included in any of the special teams play so the weakest line did not get much ice time to make it up there. Going forward they may need to RANCH IT UP so they can produce as the rest of the team can.

Part #3

Complete - Message Sent

Part #4

Code:
202 words

So Ben Waters wasn't one of the 3 stars, but his comeback performance really takes the cake in the 3rd game of the Prince George Firebirds and Vancouver Whalers series. Overall, his stat line from the game is very meh with only 34 of 38 shots saved for a .895 save percentage, and 4 goals against but he took a 3 goal 2nd period into the locker room and settled the fuck down to hold out for another 46 minutes with only 1 goal. Throughout many games, this season Ben Waters has stolen many games, but this may have been his masterpiece of the season. The team would go on to rally back and win the game in 2 OT in front of their brick wall of a goalie. Any other goalie would have likely thrown in the towel or have been swapped out after that subpar performance, but Prince George had faith in Ben Waters to win and Ben Waters returned the favor and gave them exactly what they wanted. Currently riding an 8 game win streak going into the finals against Halifax, Ben Waters hopes to be the hot hand and steal just 4 more games to win the SMJHL championship.

Part #5

[Image: NYGPXhA.jpg]

Gave more of a shit about this one

<div align="center">[Image: raiders_rally_towel.png]</div>

Scotiabank because the Raiders play at the Scotiabank Arena.

The Halifax City Logo for obvious reasons.

"We're All Raiders" is the obvious rally cry I thought would work out.

I'm pretty fuckin' bad at graphics, so sorry if it looks like crap.

-Future Considerations.-

Sent.

Halifax-Detroit Game 2

In Game 2, Reed Laing was a point producing machine, single-handedly lifting the Raiders to a 6-3 victory over the Detroit Falcons. Whether if it was the 2 goals or the 2 helpers Laing put up, without her, the Raiders would have surely lost this game. Being named the 1st Star of the game, it is clear that if the Raiders had not had Reed Laing, their offensive and defensive game would have shrivelled up.

Laing was instrumental in the Raiders' high tempo offence, scoring a GTG and padding the Raiders' score by knotting up her second goal of the game. As well, she had assisted on the GWG and the Raiders' 3rd goal of the game. Even though Laing had not been a force on the powerplay unit, it is clear that this future Top 6 winger carried the Raiders on her back. Showing off high quality plays and the ability to get the puck to the net through traffic by racking up 3 shots on goal.

Again, if Laing had not been there, the Raiders would have been knocked out of the game 3-2, as Laing was instrumental in nearly every single Raiders goal in this game. Looking back on this now, the Raiders should definitely be grateful for Laing's effort in this game, and her offensive talent.

Code:
220 words

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]

Part 1: [Image: Lb6hSuD.jpg?1]
It's pretty bad, but this is my first time doing anything graphics related :lol: .

Part 2:
Quote:For the Mammoths, the line that had the best positive impact in game six against Kelowna was our top line of Taro Eichelele at center, with Sim Browski on left wing, and Frontdoor McGraw playing right wing. No line really stood out as playing great for Colorado, but our first line was the best. Despite being a combined minus three (Each was a minus one in the game), they still were good for Colorado. They generated a combined seven shots (five from Eichelele) which was two more than the next highest shooting line (our second line). They also had a combined eight hits, and two blocked shots. Eichelele also went seven for eighteen on the draw. Or worst forward line was our third line of Stuart, Maguku, and Money. To their credit, Money did have an assist, however, the other two players may as well have not even been there. It's not that they we're bad necessarily, it's that they weren't even noticeable. They had two shots COMBINED, in the entire game, one shot blocked, and a single hit. These are the numbers for all three of them combined. They don't get a ton of ice time, but they all played over sixteen minutes which is plenty of time to do more than they did. Again, they weren't bad, they just barely did anything.

Code:
224 words

Part 3: Done

Part 4:
Quote:For this part, I could write about many of the Mammoths players, as we all have our good games every now and then, and I could probably write about how much of a difference Kat makes every game, but I picked the first star of game three against Kelowna, Ben Dover. Where would we be without Ben's heroic quadruple overtime goal? Nobody knows. Maybe we would've still won that game, but maybe not. Maybe we would have lost and gone down three games to none in the series. Then what would have happened? Then we'd be down while they had all the momentum, instead of the other way around. So, without Ben Dover scoring that overtime goal, we might have already been eliminated from the playoffs, but instead, we won that game, and won games four. Now the series is tied up at two games a piece, and we've got just as good a chance to win the series as they do. Now obviously that was the highlight of the night for the team and Ben Dover, but he also contributed in other ways. He had a nice assist on Colorado's first goal of the game which was scored by Jacob Renninger just twelve seconds in to the second period. And there's more. Dover was a plus two, had five shots on goal, one hit, one blocked shot, and had fifty ,minutes of ice time. Yes, you read that right, FIFTY minutes played for Dover. The fact that he was actually able to score after playing that much is a testament to his skill, desire, and work ethic.

Code:
268 words

Part 5:
[Image: FStelyd.png]
Decided to give the graphics another try. Again, not great but I tried lol.

ALL DONE. Yay!!!

[Image: cWxBbhu.png]
Sig by Wasty and Copenhagen.
Former GM: [Image: bhn88m.png]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png] | [Image: gs89eGV.png] |  [Image: gdppv5N.png]
Affiliates:[Image: 2ugjkte.jpg] [Image: bhn88m.png] [Image: e8s6jq.png] Former Affiliates: [Image: xaoosh.png]