Create Account

Stamkos Jr. End of Season Interview

Q: How do you feel your season overall went in terms of individual success?

SSJ: Overall I think my season was a step back from last season. It took me awhile to adjust to playing on the wing and I just never got fully acclimated to it. I think my play was very uninspiring this season and it will be unacceptable in the playoffs. We had a very balanced scoring attack so I am not really disappointed in my overall numbers but more so the way I struggled to adjust to the wing when the Whalers were really counting on me. My season was very hot and cold, for some stretches in the season I would put up a point or two every night, and then I would go five, six, seven games without scoring a single point. I really can't explain why this was happening and just chalk it up to poor luck on my shots finding the net.

Q: The Whalers didn't really use the Jon Ross, Conklin Owen, and yourself line like you had wanted. How do you feel about that?

SSJ: You know, I was pretty disappointed that we didn't give that line a real shot to see what it could do. We used it for the first few games and then the coaching staff abandoned it prematurely in my opinion. I understand the reasoning, we had more skaters with more talent than we did last season so the lines could be balanced out, but I really was hoping to skate alongside those two and see what we could have done. Ross had a fantastic season and Owen had a good season as well and I am just disappointed I wasn't able to be on the same line as them, that is really all I have to say about that.

Q: The first round of the playoffs is coming up and you are set to square off with your former team the Colorado Mammoths. What do you have in store for us in the playoffs?

SSJ: It's crazy how things work out as out of the three teams we could have faced we end up facing my old team. They are a talented group and really grew up quick since my departure. They didn't finish too far behind us in the standings so we know we have our work cut out for us. I normally don't need or believe in "extra motivation" but I would be lying to you guys if I said there was no extra sense of urgency in me to beat the Mammoths. They have four guys who all posted 20 or more assists so it is abundantly clear that this team is full of skilled passers and work great together as a team. We will have to stay disciplined in clogging the passing lanes and keeping pressure on the puck handlers every time they come up ice. I think you will much better play out of me as I know this is my last chance to win a cup before I head off the pro league.

Q: Are you looking forward to finally taking the next step in your career and joining the Stampede next season?

SSJ: I definitely am ready to make the leap and I feel like it will help rejuvenate me on the ice. I requested to stay in the minors one more season so I can get better and they allowed me to do that, but I must admit, playing in the minors for three seasons is not the most thrilling hockey you will every play. I spent the entire season working on different aspects of my game and I hope I can transition quickly to the pros and get up to speed as fast as possible. I saw my two friends Nolan Angello and Theodore Graham have excellent rookie seasons this season and I hope to follow suit next season. I know the Stampede are really counting on me to help solidify the second line center spot so I need to keep working hard and give my all to the franchise that believed in me the most.

Q: The Stampede made two trade deadline deals this season, both of them acquiring a draft pick, a 1st and 2nd rounder respectively, What were your thoughts when you saw these trades?

SSJ: It was definitely the right move to make being that the team was not going to make the playoffs and they had a few veterans that could provide some punch to a playoff team and bring back a nice return. I believe that a franchise that builds through the draft is doing it correctly but of the course you run the risk of longer development times. At some point all this youth the Stampede has acquired will have to pay off and acquiring more picks is essentially just more insurance for the farm system. I think with the young nucleus the team has in Nicolas Winter, Casey Holmes, Brynjar Tusk, Nolan Angello, Theodore Graham, Eduard Selich, Alexis Metzler, and myself is one of the best in the SHL but sooner or later we will have to come together and make this thing work. So yeah, overall my initial reaction to the trades were positive and I just hope we bring in two more great looking young players with those picks.

Q: How long do you think it will take before the Stampede can become a true contender?

SSJ: That really depends on how the approach each season. I think the right move would be to let all of us youth play together next season and not bring in any older veterans like they did this current season. The more ice time we get together, the better, and bringing in a one year rental player just stunts the growth of whoever he plays over. With that said, if they let us grow, and just take our bumps in the road, I think we can be looking at a low-seed playoff appearance in two or three seasons. Going past that, if we all keep improving like we have been, and maybe add a long term player or two that is in their prime, I think we can be a cup contender in about four seasons. It may seem like a long time but that is where this franchise is at and that is the best route to take to try and bring Buffalo back towards the top of the totem pole. It also will depend on extensions with our youth. I know myself, Winter, Angello, and Graham have extended our contracts and I hope our other guys like Selich and Metzler, who are big parts of this retooling phase, do as well.

Q: What are your goals for next season?

SSJ: It is hard to tell what my goals will be for next season. I think the ultimate goal is to be a strong contributing member to the Stampede and help the team continue to move forward. Selfishly I would love to follow up Nolan Angello and have a Rookie of the Year caliber season. I do not know if I will get the ice time like he did so that could prove to be a difficult task. I really had a down season with the Whalers and I think I got a little complacent in the minors. I really need to pick my game up and get refocused on everything I want to accomplish. If I can play out next season and by the end of it I can confidently tell myself that I gave it everything I had than it will be a successful rookie season. I know I will have a lot of expectations on my plate from the franchise and the fan base and I certainly do not want to disappoint. Not only do I not want to disappoint but I want to exceed expectations.

Q: Do you think Vancouver has a chance to win the cup?

SSJ: Well, I am answering this question after the season has already ended for us, so no we do not have a chance. It really doesn't surprise me because we had trouble finding the right personnel and game plans all season long. I will chalk it up to inexperienced coaching and just keep my head held high and march on to the SHL. We got beat by the Mammoths of all teams and it wasn't even competitive which is the sad part. I feel like I was poorly utilized all season long but I never said anything until just now. I am excited to get back to playing my center position in Buffalo and hopefully will have a lot more success. We certainly had the talent in Vancouver to win it all and really due to league restrictions on practice hours we were unable to make it past round one. We probably had more players than any other team that reached the max hours and have been banking those hours for basically the entire season. If the limit was raised by another 100 or so I don't think there would have been a chance for any team to beat us this season. At the end of the day I just have to say oh well and look forward to getting my professional career kick started.

Q: Who do you think wins the Cup?

SSJ: I really don't care who wins the cup. It is a disappointment it won't be my team but that is life sometimes. I guess if I had to choose I would want the Mammoths to win because of how well they treated me while I was there. I won't be rooting for any team but if the Mammoths win, that would be a cool thing to see, and I would be very happy for some of my former teammates who are still on that team.

Q: Who are the favorites in your eyes for ROTY in S32 except you of course?

SSJ: I must admit that I do not know the landscape of the league very well so I don't have much knowledge on which players are being sent up next season. Just looking at the guys on my team, I would not be surprised in the least to see Jon Ross or Conklin Owen take home the honor next season. Ross had an excellent season and could definitely carry that momentum into the SHL playing for the Steelhawks. Then you have Owen who is an extremely gifted skater and sniper but he had some struggles this season. I wouldn't put too much stock into that as a judging point for his translation to the SHL. He had two incredible seasons in the SMJHL before this slightly less effective one this season. Both of these guys are incredibly talented and will definitely be up there for the favorites to win the award next season.

Q: Which team will make the playoffs before the others and why/when ( Steelhawks Stampede :admirals: )?

SSJ: I would like to think that my team, the Stampede, will be the first to reach the playoffs out of these three. I would also have to say that it will be the Stampede or the Steelhawks despite both of them finishing lower in the standings compared to the Admirals. Looking at my team and the Steelhawks, they are both built on an extremely talented and deep youth pool, and the Admirals are lacking in that department from what I can tell. With a veteran free agent here or there for either the Stampede or Steelhawks and either one of them could have an outside shot at the playoffs next season.

Q: Who will win the eastern/western conference this season?(SHL and SMJHL)

SSJ: This is not a great question to ask me because like I said earlier, I do not know the landscape of the league very well. I am very sheltered on what I know and my knowledge is only of the teams I am on and my teammates. I will just say the Whalers, Falcons for the SMJHL and the Wolfpack and Blizzard for the SHL. I don't have any reason as to why but those are just the teams I can name as of right now who are still alive in the playoffs.

Q: Which player would you like to have on the Stampede ?

SSJ: I assume you mean if I could choose any player in the SHL to be on the Stampede. With that assumption I would say Nathan Russell. I followed him a lot this season due to him being on my fantasy team and this guy really can do it all. He can put the puck in the back of the net, find teammates, play solid defense, and lay big hits on opponents. His well-rounded game is something that would be a huge boon for the Stampede roster and I would take his grit and toughness over some flashier players like a Vlad McZehrl or Chernika Banananov.

Q: Would you rather be a surefire HoFamer or win gold in the IIHF back to back?

SSJ: I don't think this is even a tough question to answer. I obviously would want to be a Hall of Fame player and just not compete in the IIHF at all. There is a great talent pool for the Canadian roster and I think I would do well with rest in the offseasons. If I am anything close to a Hall of Fame caliber player than that probably means my teams would be successful as well and that is my ultimate goal.

Q: Do you think the Stars will ever break the curse of not winning the Challenge Cup?

SSJ: I really don't know many of the players on their roster so I will say no. They don't seem like a championship caliber organization to me. They seem like a franchise that can be a perennial playoff team but never have the talent to win it all. I just never considered them an appealing destination when I was going through the draft process and I feel like that may be the case for a lot of free agents and prospects around the league. There are just more appealing destinations with a stronger history than the Stars and I think that will always keep them out of the Challenge Cup running.

Q: How excited are you to finally lace up for Buffalo next season?

SSJ: As much as I enjoyed my time in the SMJHL on both Colorado and Vancouver, I can't wait to lace up my skates wearing a Stampede jersey. I am anxious to finally get the call up and hit the ice with my new teammates and start building towards what we want to accomplish as a young team. We have so much potential and a lot of great looking young talented players and now it is time we start to all get the call up together and form that bond every championship caliber team has. I saw how much fun and success Angello and Graham had this season and I can't wait for my turn.

Q: Have you ever considered trying out for the Lightning to play with your pops?

SSJ: Playing in the NHL was always a dream of mine but I already had a preconceived notion of what I was as a player, mostly in a negative way, so I think playing in the SHL is much better for my career. Everyone always compares you to your father when you have one of the best skaters in the NHL as your father and I think it would be hard to create an image for myself in the NHL. Since playing here I don't get looked at as Steven Stamkos' son but rather one of the intriguing young players in the SHL. I have created my own image and gotten out of my father's shadow and I would never consider going to the NHL and especially not trying to play on the Lightning if I ever did.

Q: Other than Stamkos, if you could add one NHL player to the Stampede roster who would you pick?

SSJ: As much as I would love to skate alongside a talented winger like an Alex Ovechkin, Joe Pavelski, or someone like that I would actually go with Braden Holtby. I feel that you need an elite goalie that can take charge of the defense and also save your ass when the other team gets an open look. I think Holtby is the best goalie in the NHL right now and he would make playing a lot easier and allow me to take more chances knowing I have someone like him to cover me if I screw up. Turning this into a Stampede based answer, I really am excited about the potential of our young goal tender Casey Holmes, and I hope he can become our version of Holtby in the near future.

Q: How do you feel about matching up against your former SMJHL team in round one?

SSJ: It was a fun experience and a very hard fought series. They really put up a fight and even had us in a major hole. We were fortunate to dig deep when we got behind and move on to the next round. I would have been very disappointed if we ended up losing to the team I was traded away from in hopes for a better chance of competing. They are an impressive team and have a solid coaching staff and I think they will keep being a tough and gritty team to match up with in the future.

Q: Now that you've got a full season in Vancouver, what would you say you'll miss about this team and city?

SSJ: There is a lot of optimism and positivity on this team and in this city. The city of Vancouver really has our back and sticks with us through the tough times and the good times. I really love playing for a fan base like that and it really motivates me even more to play hard for them every single game. The teammates I will miss as well, especially Conklin Owen and Jon Ross, because I feel we are all in the same boat in our career and have a bond because of that. If we can finish this thing with a championship it will truly be a story book ending to all of our SMJHL careers.

Q: The Stampede just pulled off a trade sending a couple of draft picks and Cikgnar Konstantinov for Maximilian Wachter, what are your thoughts on the deal?

SSJ: I got very excited when I saw the deal get announced because I had no idea anything was in the works. It sucks losing a top-3 projected lottery pick but to pick up a forward like Wachter is huge for our team. He has showed a ton of skill and talent while playing for Portland and he is still a young player just entering his prime. That is exactly the type of guy we need to mix and match with some of the youth like Angello, Selich, and myself if I am just talking about the forwards on the team. Having him and Nicolas Winter both getting into the prime of their career and having the opportunity to be the leaders for us young guys, I think we certainly have a lot of promise and excitement building around us, especially in the city and our fan base.

Q: Where do you see yourself fitting into the Buffalo Stampede lineup as a rookie and in the future?

SSJ: I really don't know after this trade for Wachter. I figure that I will eventually settle into a second line center but chances are that I will start out on the third line. That is fine with me since I will be just a rookie and not quite up to par with some of the other talented players on our team. For the future though I expect to be a second line center behind Nicolas Winter and I have to keep working hard to achieve that.

Q: What do you think of the Vancouver Whalers chances in the Four Star Cup playoffs this season?

SSJ: Chances are great and we are really playing well at the right time. My personal performance has not been that great in the stat sheet but as long as I am contributing in other areas to help us win that is all that matters. We are working on getting past Kelowna who has been a thorn in my side personally. We are so close to reaching the Cup and I think the guys are really hungry, especially the ones knowing this is our last chance in the SMJHL. It is a fun experience and I don't want it to end in any way other than a Four Star Cup championship.

What are your goals for next season?

Do you think Vancouver has a chance to win the cup?

Who do you think wins the Challenge Cup?

[Image: 6Xj1IWG.png]

Player Page || Update Thread || Signatures

[Image: PoQh1Wx.png] [Image: rmu9FS0.png][Image: VxdFjLy.png][Image: QKcW3J4.png] [Image: RoypPRF.png]

Interview Who are the favorites in your eyes for ROTY in S32 except you of course?

Interview Which team will make the playoffs before the others and why/when ( Steelhawks Stampede :admirals: )?

Interview Who will win the eastern/western conference this season?(SHL and SMJHL)

Interview Which player would you like to have on the Stampede ?

Interview Would you rather be a surefire HoFamer or win gold in the IIHF back to back?

Interview Do you think the Stars will ever break the curse of not winning the Challenge Cup?

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

How excited are you to finally lace up for Buffalo next season?

Have you ever considered trying out for the Lightning to play with your pops?

Other than Stamkos, if you could add one NHL player to the Stampede roster who would you pick?

How do you feel about matching up against your former SMJHL team in round one?

Now that you've got a full season in Vancouver, what would you say you'll miss about this team and city?

Interview Where do you see yourself fitting into the Buffalo Stampede lineup as a rookie and in the future?

Interview What do you think of the Vancouver Whalers chances in the Four Star Cup playoffs this season?

[Image: embros.png]

[Image: ddIlIkT.png]  [Image: qzGJBye.png]
Player Render by Merica

thanks for the questions guys.

READY TO GRADE!!!