Create Account

Angelo Odjick: S34 SMJHL Draft Prospect Profile

“Aggressive Power Forward” Angelo Odjick: S34 SMJHL Draft Prospect Profile

Angelo Odjick had a productive and impressive season for the Vancouver Vipers in 2015. The left winger displayed plenty of offensive talent, and an uncanny ability to intimidate his opponents and force errors. Learn more about him in this prospect profile.

By John Smith | April 2, 2017

[Image: Wibc4Nj.jpg]

Power forward. While this is actually an official position in the game of Basketball, it’s come to be known as more of a characterization of a player in Hockey. It’s usually used when describing players who are big and strong, capable of both playing physically and scoring goals. In Hockey, a forward who not just put the puck in the net, but dig the puck out of corners and be hard to push away from the front of the goal can be very valuable to a team – even though they aren’t necessarily the kind of player that leads a unit. They can be few and far between and have been traditionally sought after in the draft for decades. This is the kind of player that we’re seeing take form in Angelo Odjick.

Just Who the Heck is Angelo Odjick?

According to SMJHL Prospects Report, Angelo Odjick was born on April 17, 1998. He’s listed at 6’1 and 220 pounds. He’s a left-handed shot that played left with for the Greater Vancouver Canadians in his early teens, before finishing his stay in the STHL with the Vancouver Vipers for his last two seasons. Odjick just finished his second season; his improvements have been turning heads since joining up with the Vipers:

Career Statistics

STHL Regular Season Statistics
2012 GVAN: GP: 25, G: 11, A: 7, P: 18, +/-: 14, PIMS: 24, H: 28, SB: 2
2013 GVAN: GP: 25, G: 16, A: 5, P: 21, +/-: 18, PIMS: 22, H: 33, SB: 5
2014 VAN: GP: 25, G: 22, A: 8, P: 30, +/-: 22, PIMS: 31, H: 39, SB: 4
2015 VAN: GP: 25, G: 24, A: 9, P: 33, +/-: 23, PIMS: 26, H: 35, SB: 6

TOTALS: GP: 100, G: 73, A: 29, P: 102, +/-: 77, PIMS: 103, H: 135, SB: 17

Before we take a look at points, I have to say that the number of hits Odjick puts out is very impressive. He’s made himself an intimidating reputation on the ice that throws his opponents off their game as they try to get the puck passed quickly when he’s near. This contributed leading to some errors that his teammates use to their advantage.

While Odjick scored only an additional two goals in his last season, his goal numbers greatly increased when he was brought on to the Vipers. This was in large part because he was paired up with the young captain Robert Phelps. “The two of them were like a wrecking crew on the ice,” says former coach Brian Halbrook. “Both Angelo and Robert are great at getting into other players heads, in their own unique ways. Robert is always picking at players and draws a lot of penalties. Angelo was a great match for him, his big hits intimidate players, many times they’ll see him coming and try to make a pass too early with Robert always waiting to capitalize and snap up the puck.”

There was one incident that bears mentioning. In his first season playing with the Vipers, he was given a 5-minute major, game misconduct, and a 1 game suspension for clipping Corey Lockhart causing a concussion. It was shortly after Lockhart had delivered a bad hit to Phelps, and was largely considered retaliation by the imposing Odjick. He did reign in his aggression in his last STHL season, but it’s given him an early reputation as a dirty player.

When asked about the incident, Odjick had this to say. “Look, we all know that Rob likes to mouth off at the other players. He’s always running his mouth, and he can get some players really steaming. I’ve seen him do it dozens of times, he always delivers his verbal snipes with a deadpan and serious face, at least until he turns away from them and there’s usually a grin when he knows he’s getting under their skin. He does it so well, draws a lot of penalties, but sometimes they take it too far and try to injure him. When someone takes a shot at your captain, you can’t let them get away with it.”

Phelps gave the following response when asked: “Oh yeah, I absolutely remember. Lockhart was running all over the ice that game hitting anything that moved, I had picked up a loose puck along the boards and started skating up ice, I got to center and fired it in, then out of nowhere a full second or two after I dumped the puck Lockhart nailed me, he got his elbow right in my face. I was a bit dazed when I fell to the ice, but as I started looking up to see who hit me Angelo had already clobbered him. It was an absolutely devastating hit, one of those hits you could feel even though it didn’t happen to you. Angelo got ejected from the game, but as soon as I walked off the ice between periods he was waiting in the locker room. He was fuming, as soon as he saw me he asked if I was okay, once I said I was fine he started calling Lockhart all sorts of names, none of which I’m willing to repeat. After that I didn’t really get messed with except on the rare occasion, and anyone who went after me answered to Angelo. I really consider Angelo to be more of a scorer than a tough guy, but I think he was pretty happy to have the tough guy reputation that came after that hit.”

Some More Advanced Stats to Consider

[Image: 26CpGr9.jpg]

When considering some of his advanced stats, it’s important to remember that like almost every stat the quality of the player’s teammates has a major influence. Particularly true of his Corsi For percentage, because it doesn’t just count what the player has done but what his line mates did while on the ice. It’s immediately apparent that he’s more inclined to shoot rather than pass the puck. Odjick’s possession is very good, but there has been some question as to how much of that was due to his line mates. He’s definitely a contender for first or second line no matter what team drafts him.

Truly elite offensive talent or not, what Angelo Odjick brings to the table is significant. The numbers don’t lie, no matter how you slice it; Odjick is a hard worker who produces possession time. When he’s on the ice, the puck spends most of the time in the offensive zone. This translated to 1.32 points per game in his final season in the STHL. If he could get his passing game up to par, along with his defensive game, he’d be an obvious choice for the first line. It’s possible that’s just a matter of experience that will develop naturally during his time in the juniors.

On the negative side, Odjick has got a bad reputation around the league as an occasional cheap-shot artist. This definitely contributed to his higher than average penalty in minutes for his minor years. Again he seems to have developed some more discipline in his last year after the incident where he was thrown out and suspended for a game. There is some true, albeit unrefined, talent here that is hard to ignore.

What Others Are Saying About Angelo Odjick

[Image: CoJ1Cq1.jpg]

It appears that Odjick’s name is starting to appear more often in the network of Hockey blogs. A blogger named BSchultz at SHL Nation writes about his 2015 season:

Quote:“The issue that can be taken with Odjick’s strong numbers is that he was a regular member of one of the top scoring lines in the STHL. The majority of Odjick’s points came by the end of the 2015 season during the time he was playing almost exclusively with Phelps and Byers. After the suspension, the line was split up for a time after that to varying degrees of success, but nothing close to what he was seeing in the last season. About half way through the 2016 season, the big line was reunited and Odjick saw his numbers being to pick back up.”

Those two were a big part of the success he saw in the STHL: Robert Phelps and Alex Byers, a major setup man, and top prospect for the SMJHL in Phelps, and a very proficient sniper in Byers. In the times he had to perform without those two, Odjick was not on the scoresheet much. This fueled the perception that Odjick was just the third man on the line; he was a complementary player. I don’t think that is a bad thing at all. I just mean that he’s not on the level of Phelps, who is likely to be a top pick this year. As a side note, sadly, Alex Byers left hockey after his final year in the STHL. It would have been interesting to see where he would have appeared in the SMJHL if he hadn’t retired. Odjick appeared to have played well enough to have the Vancouver coaches keep the trio together. 113 shots on net tell me that Odjick wasn’t just riding on their coattails to the scoresheet on most nights.

It’s worthwhile to mention that most of his goal scoring came in the scoring chance area; he uses his size extremely well, and he’s willing to play defensively. His passing and defense could use some work; the latter may come with experience, the former may need additional training to improve. He also says later in that blog, “Odjick is someone that could get into the end of the first round. It’s just that it’s important to note that Odjick was part of a big scoring line; as opposed to just being a strong scorer with and without Byers or Phelps.”

Let’s look at another profile. As Odjick played in the STHL, it’s worth checking out how Symmetrick rated Odjick in his TACNPCSS Top 16 Prospects, placing Odjick 13th in between Daedric Heikennin and Khet Chupp. Here’s what he had to say:

Quote:“One of the many Canadians scattered throughout this ranking, Odjick is another big winger. In a strong class for power forwards, he stands out as probably one of the more lethal combos. He can skate, and that means he’s got the ability to deliver some bone crushing hits. Not to be forgotten is his ability to put the puck in the net, the first man to go get the garbage goals right in front of the net. Another potential risk, but if he works at it, he may very well be a dominant player.”

Symmetrick’s summation highlights that Odjick appears to be very good at viewing the offensive zone and making him a big presence in front of the net. It supports that his large presence and quick speed make him a valuable asset to a potential team. That being said, between BSchultz and Symmetrick’s blurbs, I’m more convinced that Odjick is suited for being a complementary winger rather than being a winger who would drive a line’s success.

Over at The SHL Writers, DMatheson has his own take on Odjick. This part particularly jumped out at me:

Quote:“Once Odjick gets up to speed, he’s hard to stop. It’s also difficult to get the puck from him. It makes him a big threat every time he touches the puck. Then when in strong scoring positions, he’s also got a powerful shot, often catching goaltenders off their guard. He’s got the tools under his belt to become a very effective SMJHL power forward.”

DMatheson concluded that Odjick’s defensive game does need improvement. Given that he highlighted his speed and scoring ability, perhaps when his defensive game improves he’ll be a better-rounded player. That’s the impression I get, which seems to echo what BSchultz and DMatheson saw in Odjick.

Hot prospect scout Richard Snyder had this to say about Odjick’s prospects in the SMJHL:

Quote:"Angelo Odjick is a guy we've kept our eye on, he is a big bodied player and he knows how to use it. He gets in front of the net and scores from the dirty areas. He also has a keen eye for hits and can really put a lot of pressure on teams along the boards. Now it's hard to say if Odjick's game is going to translate to the next level, he relies on his big body and he may not be able to get away with that when he's up against men, but as a later pick he might be worth the risk. His scoring has also been good, as you can see from his stats, but I would be hesitant to trust his stats, was it his hard work paying off, or the skills of his line mates making him look better on paper? It's hard to say, but we will be continuing to look at Odjick right up until the draft."

It’s clear that the scouts have had their eye on him, but some concern over his stats is clear. Odjick’s ability to get the puck to the net can’t be, and isn’t being ignored. His intimidating presence on the ice is well known in the STHL, but will that translate into the SMJHL will remain to be seen. I’ll give the last word to InciteHysteria, the new Co-GM of the Colorado Mammoth. He had this to say about Odjick:

Quote:“I feel like Angelo is the type of forward you can put out in most situations. He brings a physical edge to his game. He's a fantastic skater for his age and really can get into the dirty areas of the ice and win puck battles. I think he has a very bright future as a bruising scorer but he really needs to work on his defensive game. While able to lay the big hit when in the right position, he also is found out of position quite often and doesn't understand the idea of getting his body in front of the puck. While the defensive part of his game is underdeveloped, I still see him having a bright future in this league. His physical edge is something you don't see in a lot of players. Defense can be taught but the courage to go into the corner and battle for the puck is nearly impossible to teach. He also brings an enthusiastic attitude when interacting with him. I feel whoever drafts Angelo Odjick is going to get a fine player. Someone who can be a cornerstone of an SMJHL, and eventually, SHL team.”

As with DMatheson, InciteHysteria recognizes that Odjick is a force to be reckoned with when up to speed. Unlike a lot of forwards, he’s not afraid to dig in and battle for the puck in the corners, but mirrors the concerns about his defensive awareness. He notes that Odjick has the tools one would want in a power forward, between his shot and checking ability, and how he uses his body to make constructive plays.

In My Own Opinion

I think and the end of the day Odjick is a straight forward offensive player. He’s a power forward, of a kind not seen often anymore, but more of a supporting player rather than being the lead guy. I’ve watched Angelo Odjick in the past; he’s got a serious and quiet demeanor in his public appearances. This hasn’t helped with his reputation as a dirty player. It seems somewhat reminiscent of Eric Lindros, though that kind of comparison might be a little pre-mature. As long as his physical play doesn’t lead to a lot of injuries like it did Lindros, his future could be a lot brighter, but his presence just seems similar to me.

The criticisms are legit: his defense (which may just be a matter of experience), and his production was propped up by playing alongside Phelps and Byers. The positives are also legit: he’s got a good shot and clearly used it frequently this last season in Vancouver, and he uses his frame very well to get the puck and maintain possession without taking too many penalties. How likely the SMJHL scouts think he’ll improve on what’s needed while maintaining his strengths will translate to the next level will drive where he’s drafted. There’s a lot to like about Odjick and I could foresee someone taking him early in the second round, if not the back end of the first round.

It would be unfortunate, in a way. Complimentary player or not, this is the sort of player I would like to see more of in the league. A left-shooting left winger with plenty of offensive skills. Those facts on their own would make him a sensible pick for a team that wants to build a solid foundation. What flaws he has would explain why he’s likely a second rounder, but I don’t get the sense that they are issues that will prevent him from contributing to the next level of hockey.
Will his physical presence in the STHL translate to the same kind of success he’s achieved in the SMJHL? I think his skill set combined with how he plays the game makes it likely that he will be drafted this season in my own opinion. We will see what happens later this week.

What’s Your Take on Angelo Odjick?

Angelo Odjick is a complimentary power forward if you had to describe him in three words. Where ever he goes, it is likely to bring some controversy in his wake. Where would you place him in the upcoming draft? What about Odjick impresses you the most? What concerns you about him? What do you think of the stats he’s put up in his last season in the STHL? What are the chances that he may be drafted to the same team as his former line mate Robert Phelps? Please comment with your thoughts and feelings about Odjick. Thank you for reading.

--------------------

Ready To Grade!

Word Count: 3039

First Article Bonus (x2)

Does the first article bonus compound with the SMJHL media bonus? Because if so, get ready for 4x pay

Looks like will be waiting awhile for this kid if S43s the timeline :lol:

[Image: QhAQn2i.png]  [Image: yIvjn4j.png]

Nice work!!

Stampede Citadelles  [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]  Citadelles Stampede
[Image: goilers.gif]

Wow this is an incredible article! Good luck in the draft!

c doubles week is over

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by vbottas17@Apr 2 2017, 08:44 PM
Wow this is an incredible article! Good luck in the draft!

c doubles week is over
Doubles week continues for SMJHL until the draft (see the announcement from Jakub), but it's irrelevant because the bonus is not doubled again. It's still just 2x.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Quote:Originally posted by RaiN@Apr 2 2017, 08:43 PM
Looks like will be waiting awhile for this kid if S43s the timeline  :lol:

I tried to edit the Topic Title, but it doesn't let me. It would be nice if an admin would fix that mis-type for me. <_<

Quote:Originally posted by QuantumCowboy@Apr 3 2017, 12:01 AM

I tried to edit the Topic Title, but it doesn't let me. It would be nice if an admin would fix that mis-type for me.&nbsp; <_<
Admin fixed it for ya! We've all been there

If you can continue to somehow add to this, do it. Having a big bank account will be huge for the future! Best of luck in the J Cheers

[Image: QhAQn2i.png]  [Image: yIvjn4j.png]

Quote:Originally posted by RaiN@Apr 2 2017, 09:09 PM

Admin fixed it for ya! We've all been there

If you can continue to somehow add to this, do it. Having a big bank account will be huge for the future! Best of luck in the J  Cheers

Thanks mate! I have a few ideas to raise money for my skater. Wink Cheers