Create Account

No Place Like Home (A Halifax Story) Rebuilding on Shaky Roots

So this makes references back to a S30-32 storyline that the Raiders had going about a “Dry Island” initiative. The tl;dr version of it -- although I highly recommend reading the media from it, and I’ll link it below -- is that while the Raiders skill-wise (TPE/activity) should’ve been near the top of the East in S30, they wound up blowing their season into the wind. That was back when all teams qualified for the Four Star Cup, and along with the bottom of the West (Prince George), the two least-qualified teams made it to the finals -- and Halifax won. Halfiax’s problem with “partying” was covered in S30, and then vilified in S31, when managment and that years captaincy ganged up on the players, attempting to coerce them into volunteering to go straight-edge (that is, no drugs, no drinking, no promiscuity). This created a giant rift in the locker room, between lineys and housemates, captains and their players, and certainly between management and the team. Most of the S31 draft were called up before this was resolved.

Pel stayed down an extra season, and got to see some of the rebuild in action.

And with that, I give you

---------------------------------------

No Place Like Home

Georgie stares at the arena from behind the comfort of her car’s toasty interior.

It’s cold -- of course it’s cold, it’s Halifax in late September. She’s been here for the last three hours, since 5am, unable to sleep, unable to stay in her hotel room. The fog has had time to accumulate on the interior of the windshield, a combination of her breathing and the head blowing in through the vents. Every now and then, she reaches up over the steering wheel to scrub at the glass with her shirtsleeve; it’s important that she can see the brutalist lines of the Scotiabank Center. She’s still not entirely convinced this entire thing isn’t some sort of fever dream.

The sound of wheels scrabbling over pavement, headlights sweeping wide arcs through the fog -- they tug at Georgie’s attention, and she gives in and looks away from the hockey arena for a minute to stare at the truck pulling up a few spots over from her. It’s 7:55am, there’s several people it could be, but Georgie’s pretty sure it’s one in particular.

A few long seconds later, and the driver reveals themselves, stepping out into the humid air slamming the driver’s side door idly behind them. Matthew Leetch hasn’t changed much in the year and half it’s been since she last saw him, but he’s started to grow a beard. The scruff makes him look older, but more tired. She wonders if he keeps it because it makes people take him more seriously.

He looks over towards her car, a 2002 Ford Taurus rental -- Georgie’s engine is running, exhaust chugging along merrily and also a dead give-away that her vehicle is occupied -- cocks his head. Almost looks like he might walk over and knock on the window, but stops a half-step into his approach. Seems to think the better of it, and heads the steps up towards SB’s back entrance.

Georgie breathes out a sigh she hadn’t totally been aware she’d been holding.

She gets a few more minutes of silence before her phone, still plugged into the cigarette lighter, buzzes; it’s startlingly loud against the plastic of the console. Georgie picks it up, the incoming message available to her despite her lock screen, and reads:

Getting you a RFID for the building is actually a bit of a process, so the sooner you come inside, the sooner we can get that out of the way.

Georgie snorts. She rubs at her eyes, slaps her face a few times for good measure. She kills the engine, grabs her bag, tosses her phone in, and locks the car behind her, starting her own trek up the steps towards the arena staff’s entrance.

It occurs to her, about half a second before she pushes the door open, that without a staff ID, she might have to go around to the front -- the grim-faced security guard that stares her down confirming that as she steps inside. But it takes almost no time for him his coolly assessing gaze to turn warm, and while he doesn’t actually get up and give her a hug, Georgie can tell from his body language it’s a near thing.

“Ms. Pel! I heard you got the big job -- I can’t believe you’re back here with us so soon.” The guard -- his name tag reads Lancosme -- is hardly smiling, but there’s a wry twist to his mouth and a way his eyes are scrunching up at the sides that make Georgie genuinely feel like he’s happy to see her.

She also has absolutely no idea who he is.

“I, uh-- did we used to talk? When I played here? I’m usually better at faces than this, but it’s been a rough two days, a lot of flying --”

“No, no --” he waves dismissively, even as he comes around to open the gate for Georgie. “No, my girl, Estelle? Elle fait comme vous, une gardienne de but. You are her hero.”

Georgie has absolutely no idea what to say to that, aware maybe that her eyebrows are trying to climb into her hairline. Fortunately, Lancosme doesn’t seem to expect her to have much of a response. He leans in conspiratorially as he scans her driver’s license.

“You may not know my face, but I couldn’t forget your face if I tried, not with all the posters she bought of you after you won the Corcoran,” he chuckles.

“I... didn’t know they made posters of me,” she says, feeling like a little bit of a idiot.

“They don’t send you samples of your own merchandise?” He asks, sounding genuinely taken-aback.

“I --” and then she remembers she didn’t really give a change of address after she headed down to Texas, what with her return to living in an RV. “I mean, it’s not exactly the easiest thing for me to receive mail, so maybe they just never made it to me in one piece. If she wants a signature on anything, though, you just let me know, it’d be no problem.”

Merci, bon, I’ll try not to bring an entire crate with me then,” he waves at a bank of elevators towards the back. “Take that to R3, the front offices are there, and you’ll need Mr. Leetch with you to get your permissions entered for your real ID badge. This will work for today.”

He prints out a fairly elaborate sticker ID, and hands it to Georgie along with her license. She nods her thanks, and then walks over to push the up button, still just kind of staring at her ID. This is real she lets herself think. I never thought I’d be here, doing this, ever, but holy fuck, this is real.

Leetch stands up to shake her hand, and immediately guides her back out of the office with a proffered --

“Walk with me.”

-- as her only explanation. He keeps his pace easy for her to keep up with despite his much longer stride. He’s well dressed, still in a necktie and vest. Georgie wasn’t sure how dressed up or dressed down she should go with this, having seen GMs at every level display completely different degrees of formality when tackling their wardrobes, but she’s happy to have gone with a slightly severe knee-length dress. It’s probably the only thing she owns that’s elegant and simple (and clean, but that’s another fucking problem all together), and it matches Leetch’s board room feel.

“There’s a lot to talk about, but I wasn’t kidding about the IDs taking a million years, so we need to get that started first. Do you have anything else planned for the day?”

“I had hoped to go grocery shopping at some point, my suite kitchen is totally barren,” she says with a hint of a smile. “But otherwise, no. No plans.”

“I won’t keep you past 8pm, and if that’s a problem, we can order food -- there’s a budget for it,” he nods, entirely serious.

“Not pasta salad with pickles from the German Market, I hope? Had enough of that pre-game to last me an entire lifetime.” Juniors players were always well-fed on game days, but not exactly with gourmet fare. Georgie’s not likely to forget the taste of the Raiders pre-game meals anytime soon.

“No, not pasta salad,” and that actually gets a wry grin out of Leetch.

A part of Georgie she hadn’t even realized was tense relaxed a little bit after that. Leetch guides her into the biometrics room to start her ID process, and talks team the whole way through. She lets his explanations wash over her -- not tuning it out, but cataloguing rather than participating. Stats, contracts, recent call-up notices, facility costs, facility depreciation, scouting for the upcoming draft -- it’s so much. Georgie knew it would be, intellectually, but it’s so much.

She refuses to let it overwhelm her, even as Leetch checks in for the second time while she sits down for her photograph:

“You’re still with me?”

“I’m still with you,” Georgie parrots. “Just digesting. Keep going.”

“So what it boils down to is that we’re kind of fucked,” Georgie declares.

It’s a lot later -- the sun’s all but set, and no, Matty had not been kidding, the ID nonsense had taken until well after lunch. She’s sitting in their office -- it’s a conjoined space with two separate work areas, his drowning in file folders and piles of documents that look a little haphazard but well-indexed, hers by stark contrast very, very barren -- feet on the small meeting desk in the front of the room, leafing through roster reports.

“I mean, that might be a slight exaggeration,” Leetch starts.

She looks up and meets his eyes, raising an eyebrow. He shuts his mouth with a click. Shrugs after a few seconds.

“Fucked isn’t the word I’d use,” he tries instead. “But we definitely have a few personnel issues to sort out, yeah.”

“What about the development coach? I don’t understand how some of these kids have been on the roster for four years with projected mid-level potential but aren’t showing up to dry-land, aren’t showing up to meal-planning consults, aren’t going to anything other than mandatory skates,” Georgie shuts the folder labeled “Csonka, Tomas” and drops it with probably more force than necessary onto the table. “Also -- I need more coffee.”

“We fired the development coach.”

“Of course we did.”

“It was him or the Keurig machine, we took a vote.”

Georgie squints at him from across the room and can’t actually tell if he’s kidding.

“Keurig machines are expensive, Peller.”

“So,” she barrels right along. “Latta was only on loan and is back in Vancouver, but Gauthier is actually a pretty competent replacement, and with Abes and Reiter on his wings, at the very least we have a first line that’s pretty rock solid. Two through four, though -- that’s a different story.”

Georgie shuffles the color-coded folders around into piles by line. It takes her a minute to realize that Leetch is actually a deliberate sort of silent in a way that means “I’m trying to figure out how to tell you something you don’t want to hear” versus “we’re good, I’m just thinking.” She stops and stares at Leetch, who still doesn’t speak.

“Jesus, just say it,” she sighs. “It’s fine, whatever it is, we gotta start with everything out on the table.”
“I meant to tell you,” he starts. “Actually, his folder should never have been in the lines pile to begin with, but. Calgary called up Reiter.”

“Calgary called up Reiter.” Georgie doesn’t need coffee, she needs tequila.

“Yeah.”

She honestly can’t help it, she laughs.

-----------------------------

Georgie makes it back to her hotel room at 10:45 pm. She toes off her heels, walks a few short steps to the nearest sitting surface and just collapses, a groan rattling out of her body entirely involuntarily.

Her suitcase is still just sitting there in the middle of the room, she has no groceries, and she probably stinks, but in that particular moment Georgie cannot bring herself to give a shit.

There’s a notification light blinking on her hotel phone that means she has messages. She only gave out her hotel information to three people -- Allen, her agent (on pain of death), and Volks (also on pain of death) -- which means that whichever of them called, the chances of it being important are probably kind of high.

She’s gonna listen to the message, she has every intention of doing so, but Georgie’s gonna take a few minutes to just lie here and close her eyes first.

It’s the hotel phone ringing that wakes her up.

Georgie startles awake, dried drool on the side of her face as she snaps upright, one hand going for the phone even as her head turns to look at the clock. It’s just past midnight, she hasn’t been asleep for that long.

“Hello?” Georgie winces at the sound of her own voice.

“Fuck, you sound like shit,” comes the overly cheerful voice of Pietra Volkova from the other side of the phone. “Isn’t this, like, barely your bed-time?”

“It’s been a long day. Why are you this awake?”

“I’m in Portland,” she says by way of explanation and, oh right yeah, it’s two weeks before pre-season, of course she’s in Portland.

“I knew that,” Georgie says, sitting up properly. “Was that you that called earlier? I have a message.”

“Yeah, thanks for calling me back by the way.”

“Did I mention the long day?” Georgie grouses.

“What, your grand return to Halifax not everything it was cracked-up to be?”

And there are two questions there, Georgie knows -- are you OK? is one of them but are you sure this was the right decision? is probably the other and she’s not sure about the answer to either one of them. The deal she has with Halifax, the one she agreed to when she signed the contract as probationary Assistant General Manager, is that this works only if she plays less than 30 games a season for Texas. It’s primarily a telecommuting position, but she’ll have to fly in and out of Halifax all year -- they own her for two months of the season, no questions asked. As long as she’s GM, her status as Texas’ starter is not even remotely guaranteed.

“It’s going to be a lot of work,” she explains, and Georgie kind of hates that’s the sentence that’s been rattling around her head in different iterations all day. It’s obviously going to be a lot of work. That’s not what she even means when she says it, but it feels like grasping at straws every time she tries to nail down exactly how she’s feeling.

“Oh, you mean GMing isn’t just sneaking vodka into water bottles and riding pine? Who knew,” Volks laughs. “What were they thinking, hiring you? How are you even qualified?”

“How are the twins?” Georgie asks, abruptly, wanting to talk about anything but this.

“They’re good,” Volks answers, taking the change of topic in stride.

“And their dad?”

“Around.” It sounds like Volks is microwaving something in the background, and if Georgie strains, she can almost hear what’s on television -- probably in a different room. “We’re making it work. What about yours?”

Sept-Îles is twelve hours by car, four and half by plane. The Renegades’ team doctor gave Georgie a prescription for something to help with the flying, and seeing as she’s already going to be flying more because of work, there’s no reason she can’t fly home to see her son. She’s already notified the courts, she figures they can notify her mom.

“Crequy sent me pictures of Felix the other day, actually, he’s getting so big -- he has so much hair, how can he be three and have so much goddamn hair?”

“Mine are the same, it’s like someone grew bushes on both their heads overnight. You should visit.”

“In Portland?” Georgie asks, pouring every ounce of skepticism she can into that question. “The last time I saw your baby daddy, he wasn’t particularly appreciative of my brand of couple’s counseling.”

“He’s over it,” Volks says, and Georgie can practically hear the eye-roll that accompanies the statement. “But nah -- I mean, you could come here, but -- Miami’s not so far away Peller. You can always just show up there, you’re always welcome, you know that.”

“It’s pretty far away from fucking Nova Scotia, though.”

“That’s true,” Volks allows. She does something in the background that shuffles and scrapes the phone microphone across fabric or a surface, something that makes the line crackle and growl with interference for a few moments. “Listen, I need to know -- like, this isn’t some sort of freak-out, right? Like you didn’t decide to give up playing or something, you’re not terminally ill, you’re not hiding something from me, right? Like, oh -- god you’re not pregnant again, are you?”

“I’m not fucking pregnant, Volks.”

“I just don’t understand why you’d want to --”

“It’s not the same place we left,” Georgie explains, carefully, trying out the shape of each individual word as it passes her lips. “And it was something I had to do.”

“Like, after all that Dry Island bullshit, and the way it tore the team apart, I just don’t understand why you’d want to go back there, we almost -- our friendship almost broke in half because of how that stuff went down, and now you’re, what, just OK with --”

“It’s not the same place we left,” Georgie says again, cutting Volks off.

“Leetch was there for that,” Volks says now, angry, accusing.

“Leetch,” Georgie starts. Looks around the room like maybe it has a clue, something that’ll make this easier to communicate to her -- well, her best fucking friend, really. “Was trying to be a good GM in a bad situation. He still had to play on the team, and I can’t imagine that -- I can’t imagine having to deal with the FO trying to twist you into believing their reality while still having to walk into that locker room every single day.”
“He helped divide the team --”

“So did you! Shit, jesus, do you not remember that?” Georgie cracks. “Do you not remember agreeing to all that horse-assed no drinking, no drugs, Puritanical nonsense before you left? We barely spoke for five months, despite the fact that I lived in the same house as you and babysat your kids. He came in after you and Banning and Bottas all tried to fix a problem in the most clumsy-handed way possible.”

Georgie stops, realizing she’s shouting. She tries to control her breathing instead. There had been a lot about her last two seasons with the Raiders that didn’t translate into entirely fond memories, but the place and the people involved still feel no less like home, no less like her people -- her family -- for it, and maybe that’s worse, somehow. She’s certainly sure of it making everything harder.

“Reeder’s doing a lot better, in case you were curious,” Volks says into the void growing between them. “He came by the house last week, Wally was grilling. He -- him and Banning are actually on speaking terms again.”

“Probably for the best, seeing as they’re playing on the same fucking team.”

“Yeah, no shit,” Volks laughs, and it sounds tired, and not a little on edge. “I didn’t call to pick a fight.”

“I know,” Georgie says, because Georgie does. “I also know that me taking this job doesn’t make the most sense, but it’s still something that I had to do.”

“You’re sure,” Volks says, and it’s not really a question.

“I’m sure,” Georgie says anyway. “There’s something about this place, even after all of that. Something that could be really great again. And I think Matty and I, I think we can get it to grow strong.”

“You don’t owe that place shit, Georgie --”

“Oh yes I do,” Georgie says quickly, quietly. “Yes, I do. More than maybe any of the rest of us ever did, but I do. And I pay my debts, one way or another. My time and energy is cheap enough.”

“You’re not changing your mind,” Volks challenges.

“No,” Georgie confirms.

“Alright,” Volks replies, suddenly seemingly anxious to get off the phone. “You’ll call me though, if it gets to be too much?”

“Yeah,” she says, standing up to hang up the phone. “I gotta go to bed.”

Georgie says her goodnights, and her goodbyes, and tries not to smile too broadly when Volks gets the twins to shout goodnight to her while on speakerphone. She places the phone back in its cradle, and surveys the room. If that’s the worst of it, she thinks, this is going to be easier than I thought. It seems like a dangerous thought to have, like an unintentional challenge to the universe to have it rise up and smite her harder.

She trots over to her suitcase and fishes out a t-shirt. She steps out of her dress and does her best to hang it over the back of chair she’s electing to make her clothes-horse. She pulls on the t-shirt as she walks into the bedroom, making quick work of the covers. She plugs in her phone, sets her alarm, and doesn’t even manage to turn off the bedside lamp before falling deeply, truly asleep.

The car ride in the morning seems shorter this time, the trip upstairs quicker, and not just because Georgie has the correct ID. She picks up a small package of merch, along with a incredibly colorful and effusive thank you letter, from Lanscome, who gives her the same crooked not-smile and a nod, and holds onto it like a lifeline as she takes the elevator upstairs.

She brought an entire Take Ten with her, since the K-Cups that Leetch has are garbage, and he looks surprised to see it (or as surprised as he ever does) as she barrels into the room.

He does thank her though, after a second, and looks her the eye as he fills up a worn mug with a faded LA Panther’s logo on it. “Are you ready to work?”

“Yes,” Georgie says, and means it.

Code:
Double payout as I squeaked this in before the draft, pls ty.

Nice job with this bozzz! Cheers

raiders

[Image: cWxBbhu.png]
Sig by Wasty and Copenhagen.
Former GM: [Image: bhn88m.png]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png] | [Image: gs89eGV.png] |  [Image: gdppv5N.png]
Affiliates:[Image: 2ugjkte.jpg] [Image: bhn88m.png] [Image: e8s6jq.png] Former Affiliates: [Image: xaoosh.png]

this shit is hotter than my mixtape.

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]

Quote:Originally posted by NYRangers3061+Apr 7 2017, 07:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1' id='QUOTE-WRAP'><tr><td>QUOTE (NYRangers3061 @ Apr 7 2017, 07:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Nice job with this bozzz! Cheers

raiders[/b]

Thanks man, and thanks for letting me borrow Leetch for this.

<!--QuoteBegin-daBenchwarmer@Apr 7 2017, 09:33 PM
this shit is hotter than my mixtape.[/quote]

:-x Miss ur mic'd ups tbh