Create Account

Play For Those Around You

Code:
1413 words - 1.1 mil
<div align="center">
[Image: evgeny-kuznetsov-2015-49.jpg]
Randy Randleman
Forward / Calgary Dragons

I remember my first meeting with team GM Esa Anrikkanen when I arrived in Calgary this summer. I sat across from him in his office and he said, “Randy, this is a very important year for the Calgary Dragons. We are getting older, we only have a few more chances at a cup with this core”

My reply was, “Okay, sure. I’ll do everything in my power to help bring us another cup.”

The Challenge Cup. That was the goal. That was the only thing that would satisfy Mr. Anrikkanen at the end of the season.

Back then, I didn’t dream that I would look at the standings and see what I see today. Calgary sitting solely in last place in the west. Last year we were in the Challenge Cup finals and now we aren’t even in a playoff spot.

Unbelievable.

[Image: GhYInoR.jpg]

I’m not a young player anymore. I’m into regression, I don’t go out as much as I used to. I’ve settled down, I’ve got an incredible wife, so on my off days, I try to spend time with her. We go up Lake Louise and ski or just stay in and watch the newest episode of “The Bachelor” on TV. But lately, I have been hearing something I have loved about the city I play for. It’s the fans supporting the team, the true fans who are behind us always and know we can turn this season around.

To them, I say: Thank you. We appreciate every single one of you. I want you to love the game we play, and I want you to love the players we have on this team, because they truly are unbelievable.

Most of you already know their names. Players who have grown up with the team, like myself or Esa Anrikkanen, players who came in via free agency like Alex Mack or Bubba Nuck, and young players who are newer to the team like Shane Gagner and Joe Kurczewski. When I came in for our first team activities this season I knew this was an incredible group of players, I knew we could reach our goal.

Joe’s first practice, I still remember, he was flying all over the ice, skating so hard I thought he must have taken too much pre-workout before he stepped on the ice. He never stopped skating in practice except when he had to sit and listen to coach.

I had to tell him, “Hey, rook! Slow down. Slow down. Quit skating full speed after the puck everywhere, okay?’

He says to me, “Okay, Cap. Okay.”

I remember looking away and talking to Esa and by the time I looked back Joe was flying all over the ice again.

[Image: dFboRHI.jpg]

I tell him, “Keep that up and you’ll be the first player to give himself a one timer across the crease.” We laughed and since then he has been better at controlling his speed. He has learned when to use it and when to take a bit off, sometimes to predict where the play is going to go, and sometimes to keep defenders on their heels. That speed is a big weapon when he can change gears and beat the guy in front of him.

He’s a talented young player, but he is not the only key. There are too many key players to name on this incredible team.

Nicholas Pedersen, for example. This is not a human being. This man is a workhorse. He has a tendency to freelance sometimes on the ice because his stamina allows him to fly out of position and still get back with enough energy to play his position. I have to tell him, “Freelance all you want out there to make something happen, but we need you back when the other team has the puck. As your linemate I need this from you. Sometimes when you get crazy out of position the young guys start to emulate you, Gagner, Kurczewski, they want to be like you. If you can get back into positon they will do the same”

Before we played our first game of the season, Esa told us, “Play for the man sitting beside you. We are strongest when we are one, put it all on the line for your brother. I don’t care who lines up across from us. If you do this you can beat anyone. If we lose, Okay, congratulations. But they will have had to earn every inch and we can go off the ice proud, knowing we left it all on the ice for the team.”

When we went onto the ice for our first home game of the season versus the Edmonton Blizzard we could feel the excitement in the building. It came from everyone. Starting up in the press box with management, down through the people working in the building, along the seating with our incredible fans, and finally down onto the ice where our team soaked up every bit of it. It was amazing feeling the passion in the arena.

The fans don’t just cheer when we are doing well. When we are hemmed in our own zone we hear them. You can bet it helps us play better. Every player has a little bit more inside of him when the fans are in it. The fans understand what’s going on down on the ice. They cheer loudly, they boo the opposing team. They see when we try a new breakout, or when we change our power play strategy. When the team is struggling they feel it, they support us. They are more than we could ever ask for.

[Image: CEPZPFN.jpg]

We started the season very slowly, losing our first 4 games straight. But our goal was a full season long commitment, and we were too good to panic. Throughout the first 11 games we only won 2 of them, but we still weren’t ready to panic just yet. We were doing well on faceoffs, near the top of the league in power play, and among the leaders in goal differential. We had positives but games just weren’t going our way. Deep down I was starting to worry.

Before every game, I said, “Forget about how we started the season, today is a fresh start. One game at a time.”

We we’re still losing. I was trying everything I could think of to help turn the team around.

Finally, before our 12th game, a game against the Portland Admirals, I said, “If we win tonight I’m picking up everyone’s tab after the game”

Of course, we came through with a 3-1 win

I stuck with that offer to the team. I was happy to pay for the team to have fun if it helped us turn around the season. After Portland we won our next 3 games by a combined score of 14-7.

[Image: ynboMjo.jpg]

My teammates made sure to take full advantage of my offer. They ordered filet minions, expensive wines, and whatever else they could find on the menu that they wanted. I didn’t mind, we were coming together as a team and winning games. It was a beautiful thing.

Since then we have cooled off a little bit, going 3-4, but I believe in this team. We have been through adversity like this before. This is a special team that is going to show the SHL what can be achieved by playing for your teammates and coming together as one cohesive unit. Twenty players. Twenty different minds. Twenty different personalities. But one heart.

Not long ago many of our key contributors were playing in the SMJHL. Jalopski was a name every Calgary sports fan knew. VLAD McZehrl was playing on the same line as me. Chris Johnson was a mainstay in the Dragons lineup.

Now, we are fighting just to make the playoffs. The fans approach me in town and are as supportive as ever. I say to them, “Don’t stop believing in this team. We would give every ounce of ourselves for the other players on this team.”

Whatever happens this season, I will be truly proud of this team I am playing with right now. I hope to inspire anyone who reads this to play the same way for every person around them. Use this beyond just hockey. Use it in every aspect of your life, for your family, friends, and co-workers. I hope we can help drive you to be a better you.

Randy Randleman

[Image: PnO0FCu.jpg]</div>

Damn good read.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

Ilike

[Image: QhAQn2i.png]  [Image: yIvjn4j.png]

I mean Seattle will be glad to not be put out by you guys again so stay out of the playoffs please B)

Nicely said. Well done. Cheers

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

Just read this, really awesome piece <a href='index.php?showuser=1643' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-9'>Ballerstorm</a>

More proof why you are such a great Captain!

Cheers

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite