Create Account

Weekend Funtime: Memories

THIS PT IS OPEN TO ALL SHL PLAYERS AND SENDDOWNS.

Instead of looking towards the future like the first Weekend Funtime of the season tends to do, let's go back to the past just a bit. Pick one of the following topics to discuss.

- What's the best draft class this site has seen so far, and why?

- All 14 teams in the SHL have cycled through GMs in their past. Out of all of the SHL's former GMs, whom would you have wanted to play for the most? In your opinion, what made them a good GM?

- Let's go back to your SHL draft. In hindsight, do you think you would have/should have been drafted in the position that you were, knowing what you know now? Give yourself a redraft position!

- Think back to one draft pick that you regret letting slip through your fingers. Who was it, and what do you think they would have added to your team?

Every participant will receive ONE CAPPED TPE, while 5 will be chosen as discussion leaders to receive an additional ONE UNCAPPED TPE.

Discussion will close Sunday, October 15th, at 7 PM EST.

[Image: shlpris41.gif]
sig credits
[Image: FJ4Sjuj.png] |[Image: apAE8qn.png] | [Image: uEsOaLl.png]
[Image: 2dtdoyf.png]
Former affiliates: raiders Jets Stars

Let's go back to your SHL draft. In hindsight, do you think you would have/should have been drafted in the position that you were, knowing what you know now? Give yourself a redraft position!

To be honnest, i am really happy i ended up where i did in the draft. While i probably would have enjoyed other locker room, the ambiance in NEW is one of the best i have seen in the many locker room i have been in. Everyone is friendly, everyone is bullying <a href='index.php?showuser=2309' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>Toivo</a>, i found the perfect partner in crime in <a href='index.php?showuser=2012' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-14'>Jepox</a> ... it's amazing. I mean there is little discord LR that would hop in voice chat just because or to play games together.

AWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO for life

(toivo : at least for now Wink )

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

Quote:- Let's go back to your SHL draft. In hindsight, do you think you would have/should have been drafted in the position that you were, knowing what you know now? Give yourself a redraft position!

I think a lot would have changed in the S35 draft, but the top 3 would have stayed the same. After that I expect there would have been some changes if EDM and Izzy had maybe talked more before the draft. I think Edmonton would have selected Garrett instead, Seattle would have taken Bennett with Garrett off the board and Calgary wouldn't have traded down and instead taken Izzy, the guy I believe they were originally targeting at 6.

Round One:
1. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks (via Edmonton Blizzard) - Robert Phelps Whalers
2. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks (via Buffalo Stampede) - Angelo Odjick Whalers
3. Platoon West Kendall Platoon - Finn Krüger Mammoths
4. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard (via Hamilton Steelhawks) - Louie Garrett Scarecrows
5. Riot Seattle Riot - Sophia Bennett Whalers
6. Dragons Calgary Dragons -Mike Izzy Knights

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

S20 clearly best draft class no question

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Quote:- All 14 teams in the SHL have cycled through GMs in their past. Out of all of the SHL's former GMs, whom would you have wanted to play for the most? In your opinion, what made them a good GM?

Definitely c. I think his analytical mind and attention to detail allowed him to build up the Riot to where they are now: top of the conference.

Jack Tanner (D) - [Player Page] [Player Updates]

[Image: mH3z832.png]

[Image: Beaver.gif]
One sig is tweed's and the other was a karlssens/Copenhagen collab

AC | Bank | Claims

Season 3 Entry Draft, I took Ford Prefect. He was supposed to be a steal for the Jets. He was very active, involved in the league, had money, but then went inactive on me. In hindsight, I should of taken Jardy Bunclewirth, who would of been a huge player for us on defence for many seasons.

Ford Prefect man, why you gotta do me like that?

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
0-0-0
Regular Season - [G 0] [A 0] [Pts 0] [+/- 0] [PIM 0] [Hits 0] [SB 0]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

Quote:Originally posted by DrunkenTeddy@Oct 13 2017, 09:48 AM

I think a lot would have changed in the S35 draft, but the top 3 would have stayed the same. After that I expect there would have been some changes if EDM and Izzy had maybe talked more before the draft. I think Edmonton would have selected Garrett instead, Seattle would have taken Bennett with Garrett off the board and Calgary wouldn't have traded down and instead taken Izzy, the guy I believe they were originally targeting at 6.

[b]Round One:

1. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks (via Edmonton Blizzard) - Robert Phelps&nbsp; Whalers
2. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks (via Buffalo Stampede) - Angelo Odjick Whalers
3. Platoon West Kendall Platoon - Finn Krüger Mammoths
4. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard (via Hamilton Steelhawks) -&nbsp; Louie Garrett Scarecrows
5. Riot Seattle Riot - Sophia Bennett Whalers
6. Dragons Calgary Dragons -Mike Izzy Knights[/b]

Damnit, I was gonna say basically the same thing to this question. Instead, I'll say that S35 is the best draft class so far. Look at how many high-TPE rookies we have from S35, with no sign of stopping. Most of the call-ups from S35 are strong contenders for ROTY this season.

Quote:Originally posted by QuantumCowboy@Oct 13 2017, 09:06 AM

Damnit, I was gonna say basically the same thing to this question. Instead, I'll say that S35 is the best draft class so far. Look at how many high-TPE rookies we have from S35, with no sign of stopping. Most of the call-ups from S35 are strong contenders for ROTY this season.
It's hard to compare S35 with Reddit drafts though. During reddit drafts we've seen a much bigger influx of players and you could go back and still draft 2 rounds worth of actives in some. I think looking at our draft class it was a good one in terms of retention % and tpe earning on average, but those are just averages. Some of the reddit drafts could be more important overall to the site because they've brought in more players that remained active.

Quote:Originally posted by Beaver@Oct 13 2017, 09:00 AM

Definitely c. I think his analytical mind and attention to detail allowed him to build up the Riot to where they are now: top of the conference.
I don't know if you call it attention to detail when you are trading picks that have already been traded...

- All 14 teams in the SHL have cycled through GMs in their past. Out of all of the SHL's former GMs, whom would you have wanted to play for the most? In your opinion, what made them a good GM?

<a href='index.php?showuser=98' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-8'>Deenerys Targa-rene</a> because he says lots of funny things. This is what made him a good GM. I like it when he makes fun of people like c and New England and I thought that post he did about the gay SHL was funny.

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

Quote:All 14 teams in the SHL have cycled through GMs in their past. Out of all of the SHL's former GMs, whom would you have wanted to play for the most? In your opinion, what made them a good GM?

I'd have to say if there is a past general manager I would have liked to have played for the most it would have had to have been <a href='index.php?showuser=1891' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Dangles13</a> though him and I have had minimal conversations through discord he's given me some of the best advice I've ever received about being a general manager in this league.

Whether it be lines or how to attract a free agent to your team Dangles has taught me a lot in our minimal conversations and made me feel like he truly cared about how I did as a player.

His caring demeanour is what makes me wish as though I had played for him in some point in my career, hopefully one day we can at least share a locker room.

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

S36 Best class. Look at our sigs. We're making SHL great again.

[Image: dannymethane.gif]
[Image: DrbPYHV.png][Image: UDyqktK.png]
[Image: S7jeR9I.png]

- What's the best draft class this site has seen so far, and why?

Either S6 or S14 imo (and that's def not because I had a player drafted in both of those), there was just so much hype around both of them; at least that's what I remember. S6 was very deep if I remember correctly, with players who would later go on to become starters being drafted as late as the fourth round. S14 was memorable to me as well since it just seemed like there was so much talent in the 1st round of that draft; I'm pretty sure like 75% of those players ended their careers with over 1,000 TPE, or at least something close to it.

Quote:Originally posted by ConnorTanner@Oct 13 2017, 09:25 AM

I'd have to say if there is a past general manager I would have liked to have played for the most it would have had to have been <a href='index.php?showuser=1891' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Dangles13</a> though him and I have had minimal conversations through discord he's given me some of the best advice I've ever received about being a general manager in this league.

Whether it be lines or how to attract a free agent to your team Dangles has taught me a lot in our minimal conversations and made me feel like he truly cared about how I did as a player.

His caring demeanour is what makes me wish as though I had played for him in some point in my career, hopefully one day we can at least share a locker room.
For a short time in gomhl I was Dangles' co-gm. He actually taught me a lot about GM'ing as well and is a great guy. I was losing interest in that league for a bit and stepped down from the position, but he gave me my first real GM gig and I appreciate him for giving me the opportunity and for showing me the ropes. I would definitely be interested in seeing him GM again one day.

I'm still bitter about going so low in the entry draft my rookie year - I was one of the more active people on the site at that time, and I think I definitely got hurt by being on a really bad juniors team. Having to play backup for three SHL seasons really impacted my activity, so I know that if I'd gone higher, I probably would be a much better player. Thankfully tho everything worked out and now I'm kicking ass anyway B)

[Image: DrbPYHV.png]          [Image: UDyqktK.png]
[Image: WEd1wid.png]