Create Account

Weekend Funtime: Surprises

THIS PT IS OPEN TO ALL SHL PLAYERS AND SENDDOWNS.

We're almost halfway into the season, and everyone would probably agree that the standings hold some surprises right now. Let's talk about them. Pick one of the following to discuss. [Remember that unless otherwise specified, you can talk about either SMJHL or SHL teams for these.]

- Which SHL rookie's performance has had the biggest influence on their team's performance so far (good or bad)?

- Which team currently sitting out of playoff contention do you most expect to make a surge and reach playoffs by the end of the season, and why?

- Up to this point, which team's performance has been most unexpected? Does their standing in their conference accurately paint the whole picture?

- Based on their performance so far, which SMJHL team had the best S37 draft, and why?

Every participant will receive ONE CAPPED TPE, while 5 will be chosen as discussion leaders to receive an additional ONE UNCAPPED TPE.

Since I put this up a bit late (apologies), discussion will close Monday, October 23rd, at 7 PM EST.

[Image: shlpris41.gif]
sig credits
[Image: FJ4Sjuj.png] |[Image: apAE8qn.png] | [Image: uEsOaLl.png]
[Image: 2dtdoyf.png]
Former affiliates: raiders Jets Stars

- Based on their performance so far, which SMJHL team had the best S37 draft, and why?

I would have to say that PGF has had the best S37 draft if we are solely talking about performance. Their rookies have stepped up in big ways. In fact, the also have the leading rookie scorer in Paddy Kane-Rielly, with 17 points in 19 games.

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

I would have to say Hamilton is the biggest surprise this season. Wozy, Westbrook and Kennedy are really putting on a show this season as the Steelhawks first line. Kudos to those lads.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Pris@Oct 21 2017, 07:23 AM

- [b]Which team currently sitting out of playoff contention do you most expect to make a surge and reach playoffs by the end of the season, and why?
[/b]
I would almost expect the Wolfpack to make a push for the playoffs . They’ve been on the decline in the past few seasons, but I still see them as a strong playoff team. I don’t think they go out without a fight.
They’ve proven that they can make late pushes for the playoffs as they did last season.

Player Page --- Update Page
[Image: twils.gif]
Picture credit to Allen, Jenny, enigmatic, Wasty, ckroyal92, 701, and EJ

300+ Career Goals, 750+ Career Points
5th All-Time Goals Scored for WKP,
8th All-Time Goals Scored for SEA/TBB
3rd All-Time in Playoff Points
17th All-Time in Goals

6 Consecutive 50+ Point Seasons, 7 Total
Quote:"idc if ur naked if ur holding that cup" -Jenny

- Which team currently sitting out of playoff contention do you most expect to make a surge and reach playoffs by the end of the season, and why?

I am probably not going out on much of a limb here but I am going to have to say the Manhattan Rage. They are only sitting three points out of the playoffs. Right now Redding, Hans and Atmey are all under performing and I dont expect that to happen for much longer. When push comes to shove they will turn up the goal scoring dial and will be in the show at the end.

- Up to this point, which team's performance has been most unexpected? Does their standing in their conference accurately paint the whole picture?

I can't say that I was fully paying attention to everything that happened during the offseason, but New England's performance has been pretty surprising to me. They currently are 7 points out of a playoff spot and are battling Buffalo for the worst in the East. Doesn't seem that long ago that the Wolfpack was in a tier of their own at the top. I think there standing isn't just them though. Hamilton has really come out swingin' to start the season. I think people assumed that they would start improving with how many prospects they've been able to acquire over the last couple of seasons, I don't think people thought it would come together this quickly though.

RenegadesUsaRenegadesUsaRenegadesUsaRenegadesUsaRenegadesUsa
[Image: GkHz3HI.png]

[Image: T8nB5Dn.png][Image: KXZ8h4k.png]

biggest surprise is NEW in place, but they'll be back this season. they always do

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Beaujeaux@Oct 21 2017, 10:01 AM
biggest surprise is NEW in place, but they'll be back this season. they always do
Is it really a surprise when it's regular?

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Hamilton's a huge surprise team as they've seemed to taken over NEW's spot on the usual 2nd spot. Will be interesting to see during the course of the season to hold down a playoff spot.

[Image: Crossfit.gif]

[Image: CFJ1.gif]

Thanks to prettyburn, TML, Carpy, JNH, Jepox, Engi, Karey, Flappy, Skolpadder, Mook, DollarAndADream, Smirnov and Toe for the sigs.

Code:
Crossfit's First Career SHL Goal, 4. Manhattan Rage , Crossfit Jesus 1 (Pedro Sarantez, Nucky Toohoots) at 5:51

Code:
Devitt's First Career SHL Goal, 5. Calgary Dragons , Prince Devitt 1 (Barry Batsbak 21, Mike Izzy 14) at 10:43

Quote:Originally posted by Pris@Oct 21 2017, 08:23 AM

- [b]Which SHL rookie's performance has had the biggest influence on their team's performance so far (good or bad)?
[/b]

It's pretty clear from looking at the rookie race that Robert Phelps (<a href='index.php?showuser=2572' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>DrunkenTeddy</a>) is having the biggest influence on the Steelhawks. He's started to really pull away from the rest of the rookies this season. Him and the other rookies have helped bring the Steelhawks to #2 in the East from finishing last for multiple seasons.

Quote:Originally posted by Dangles13@Oct 21 2017, 11:06 AM

Is it really a surprise when it's regular?

they're not usually absolutely last

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Which team currently sitting out of playoff contention do you most expect to make a surge and reach playoffs by the end of the season, and why?

The Panthers. They started off very strongly and have recentlly fallen into a slump but they'll definitely come back and make the playoffs in the 4th seed since they're only 3 points out.

Manhattan Rage. Wolker and Nuck are two great dmen who had great seasons last season and have had a solid start to this one. On top of that, I think Ace Redding, Luke Atmey, and others will start scoring.

Robert Phelps definitely had the biggest impact for his team. From being last in the east last season, the Steelhawks are now 2nd in the easter conference. Phelps has an astonishing 17 points in 20 games played and will most likely walk off with the best rookie award.

Manhattan Rage will be the team to most likely make the playoffs although they are currently out right now. THe team has solid defencemen in Nuck and Wolker and also have star forwards in Ace Redding and Luke Atmey. THe points will soon add up and they will start fighting for the playoff spot.

[Image: pnI7R5r.png]

Up to this point, which team's performance has been most unexpected? Does their standing in their conference accurately paint the whole picture?

I’d have to say the Hamilton Steelhawks performance has been the most unexpected. When talking to a couple of there players they aren’t expecting to make a huge push into the playoffs until around S39 so to see them in the playoffs now is awesome & goes to show that there rebuild is working. I don’t think it paints the whole picture but it shows that they are doing all the right things.

Stampede Citadelles  [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]  Citadelles Stampede
[Image: goilers.gif]