Create Account

Weekend Funtime: Past, Present, and Future

THIS PT IS OPEN TO ALL SHL PLAYERS AND SENDDOWNS.

The site has been abuzz with new developments, announcements, and new suggestions for the site, both on- and off-ice. Let's talk about them. Pick one of the following topics to discuss. [Remember that unless otherwise specified, you can talk about either SMJHL or SHL teams for these.]

- West Kendall just inducted its first Hall of Fame class. Think back on your own franchise; who do you think is the best player to ever suit up in your team's jersey? Who would make up your own inaugural HoF class, if your team doesn't have one yet?

- All-Star Game rosters are out for this season, and there's a surprising amount of diversity among the list of names. Do you think the list is a good reflection of this season? Who is your biggest snub from this roster?

- For seasons on end, there has been discussion about potentially limiting ice time for players, and its effect on the stars of the league. Do you think there needs to be a limit on how many minutes skaters play per night? Why or why not?

- Potential changes to the PT system have gone through many different ideas over the past few seasons, some with a lot of potential and others with not so much. If you were to change the PT system in any way, whether it's the ideas behind the PTs, the style, or the structure of the system itself, what would you want to see implemented, and why?

Every participant will receive ONE CAPPED TPE, while 5 will be chosen as discussion leaders to receive an additional ONE UNCAPPED TPE.

Discussion will close Monday, October 30th, at 7 PM EST.

[Image: shlpris41.gif]
sig credits
[Image: FJ4Sjuj.png] |[Image: apAE8qn.png] | [Image: uEsOaLl.png]
[Image: 2dtdoyf.png]
Former affiliates: raiders Jets Stars

- West Kendall just inducted its first Hall of Fame class. Think back on your own franchise; who do you think is the best player to ever suit up in your team's jersey? Who would make up your own inaugural HoF class, if your team doesn't have one yet?

Nobody gives a fuck about West Kendall, stop trying to make West Kendall a thing.

- All-Star Game rosters are out for this season, and there's a surprising amount of diversity among the list of names. Do you think the list is a good reflection of this season? Who is your biggest snub from this roster?

Wollker

- For seasons on end, there has been discussion about potentially limiting ice time for players, and its effect on the stars of the league. Do you think there needs to be a limit on how many minutes skaters play per night? Why or why not?

Meh. I don't mind the big ice times. Not all teams have the luxury of a fully active roster, why not reward those actives you have by giving them ice time?

- Potential changes to the PT system have gone through many different ideas over the past few seasons, some with a lot of potential and others with not so much. If you were to change the PT system in any way, whether it's the ideas behind the PTs, the style, or the structure of the system itself, what would you want to see implemented, and why?

Everything stats based. No more human interest stories.

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

The Riot need to induct Cameron Urbowicz to their HoF. A legend in the locker room and on the ice.

Noro Wozy should have made it in, but outside of that, there are probably some arguments to be made, but it's a fair list.

It's fucking ridiculous we have a full line of players in the SHL averaging close to 30 MPG and one team running 7 players for 25+ MPG. Implement ice time caps, and if teams are so fucking worried they'll have to call up their 500 TPE prospects, raise the cap by about $10M so they can sign 3 forwards to hold up those slots.

Or not. I'm the farthest thing from HO, I hold no power here.

The whole week's PT and AC are in the style of Weekend Funtime. You post up to 7 times to get up to 7 TPE (word limits and whatnot), post a claim for your TPE, and we accomplish discussion of important topics in the league through PTs, make it easy to still do bare minimum stuff to get 2 TPE every week (make the word count requirement something like 30 words). Helps semi-actives and TPE whores alike, and doesn't really inflate TPE all that much.

Quote:Originally posted by Pris+Oct 27 2017, 10:06 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1' id='QUOTE-WRAP'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pris @ Oct 27 2017, 10:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
- All-Star Game rosters are out for this season, and there's a surprising amount of diversity among the list of names. Do you think the list is a good reflection of this season? Who is your biggest snub from this roster? [/b]
Overall the picks were a good reflection of this season's top performers. Noro Wozy should have been on this roster, it's insane that he wasn't picked. Also Lukas Berger probably should have been there too.

Quote:Originally posted by Pris@Oct 27 2017, 10:06 PM<br />[b]- For seasons on end, there has been discussion about potentially limiting ice time for players, and its effect on the stars of the league. Do you think there needs to be a limit on how many minutes skaters play per night? Why or why not?[/b]
I'm not sure there could be an effective ice time limit, because the sim can be strange and give more time than expected. But you could give a percentage time limit across all lines. Say, 40% which is still reasonably high, possibly 50% for defencemen. This would force teams to be more active in trading and drafting to fill out their roster rather than relying on a few stars.

<!--QuoteBegin-Pris@Oct 27 2017, 10:06 PM
[b]- Potential changes to the PT system have gone through many different ideas over the past few seasons, some with a lot of potential and others with not so much. If you were to change the PT system in any way, whether it's the ideas behind the PTs, the style, or the structure of the system itself, what would you want to see implemented, and why?[/b][/quote]
I like the idea of PGS, it's fun to talk about the games, and I miss doing it in SMJHL. Perhaps if we make some of the PT's into PGS for some weeks, since people don't seem to like the idea of PGS being in addition to PT's.

Noro wozy has to be one of the biggest snubs. He is one of the best goal scorers in the league right now. He can score from anywhere and has been a key member of the steelhawks. I think he deserves to be on that list somewhere.

[Image: hallsy.png]

Quote:Originally posted by QuantumCowboy@Oct 27 2017, 09:47 PM

Overall the picks were a good reflection of this season's top performers. Noro Wozy should have been on this roster, it's insane that he wasn't picked. Also Lukas Berger probably should have been there too.

I'm not sure there could be an effective ice time limit, because the sim can be strange and give more time than expected. But you could give a percentage time limit across all lines. Say, 40% which is still reasonably high, possibly 50% for defencemen. This would force teams to be more active in trading and drafting to fill out their roster rather than relying on a few stars.

I like the idea of PGS, it's fun to talk about the games, and I miss doing it in SMJHL. Perhaps if we make some of the PT's into PGS for some weeks, since people don't seem to like the idea of PGS being in addition to PT's.
i agree with the picks

i wouldnt want to have to do anymore work

júnior Guarda
Throat Goat

It might be good for the SHL in the short term but limiting ice time will kill the SMJHL which in the long run would be a net negative for the SHL and the site as a whole.

I'm not sure what really could be done, but I think that there are definitely some teams abusing the fact that there aren't any rules at all in place about this particular subject. Some teams are getting away with running nothing but star players playing 30 minutes a night, while some other teams (who could be doing the same) are choosing to run more than 2 lines. Realism gets brought up and then countered with the fact that injuries are turned off. I think injuries being turned on would drive people away from the site, while finding some way to make ice times more realistic wouldn't. Just my 2 cents though,

RenegadesUsaRenegadesUsaRenegadesUsaRenegadesUsaRenegadesUsa
[Image: GkHz3HI.png]

[Image: T8nB5Dn.png][Image: KXZ8h4k.png]

For seasons on end, there has been discussion about potentially limiting ice time for players, and its effect on the stars of the league. Do you think there needs to be a limit on how many minutes skaters play per night? Why or why not?

Absolutely, not an expert on the subject, but I´m going to guess the reason why some players get so much icetime is the fact they are played in multiple lines? For example some winger plays in first line and third line or defender plays in 1st and 3rd pairing.

That needs to stop and only way it ends if league leaders make a rule for it and force teams to use their own prospects earlier and take better care of their inactives and rosters in general. Everybody wants to win and unfortunately you get closer to winning a game by using great players as much as possible and double shifting them instead of using your own prospect who is bit weaker on the third line for example.

Only way it ends if league steps in.

Next step would of course be to put a cap on the actual playing time % of each line because teams and GMs will just put some ridiculous number for the first line playing time % and nothing really changes, not sure what that number is, but over 40 for one line is too much.

What it means for the junior system, more than likely will have to drop few teams if there simply is not enough players after all the heavy banking junior players are called up. Tough at first I´m sure, but in result we will have healthier leagues than now. Inactive players are kicked out of the SHL teams like they should and active younger players will be taking their spots. No more double shifting players and some element of realism added into SHL.

Over in juniors and I can only of course speak for myself here, but if I would be in the juniors now and the only reason why I´m getting 3rd or 2nd line minutes in the juniors is the fact that Player A needs to play in the first line because this is his last year before putting in the 200 banked TPE he has earned before making the jump into SHL, I´m not too pleased.

If a young player has 100- 200 TPE banked and still playing in juniors, he needs to move the hell out of there and play in SHL. Put the new active and uncapped players into bigger window, that is only going to help SHL in the long run. When the double shifting is out and playing time % in some kind of control, the junior player will more than likely be able to have nice role right away when he comes up into SHL and see clear improvement season after season by staying active and improving his/her player while working his way up the lineup.

Not the current system of just cherry picking in the juniors for as long as possible and jumping into 2nd line for the rookie year.

Quote:- For seasons on end, there has been discussion about potentially limiting ice time for players, and its effect on the stars of the league. Do you think there needs to be a limit on how many minutes skaters play per night? Why or why not?

Yes, because the only way for this league to get depth players back und to actually grow is to make depth mean something again. Only then will GMs care about grooming players and about making sure that as many of them as possible stay active. Deeper teams with more active players on them are good for everyone but we will never get those if GMs are incentivized by the sim to frontload their teams and just rely on a handful of superstars. The sim is deeply flawed in that regard and will favor strategies that would never work in real life and the only way to adress that is through adjustments in the league rules.

Quote:- Potential changes to the PT system have gone through many different ideas over the past few seasons, some with a lot of potential and others with not so much. If you were to change the PT system in any way, whether it's the ideas behind the PTs, the style, or the structure of the system itself, what would you want to see implemented, and why?

More variation/rotation for the regular PTs, mix in discussion PTs, Team PTs, Prediction PTs etc. Expand weekend funtime by giving more TPE to people who participate in the actual discussion comapred to those who just answer to the OP.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

The two names that come up right away for Seattle's HoF are Chris McZehrl and Daniel Merica. Both of these guys played six seasons with the team and were big parts of their team winning the Cup in S19.

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

Algonquin College Student Support Services - 613-727-4723
Crisis Text Line - Text 'HOME' to 741741
Distress Centre Ottawa and Region - 613-288-3311
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Kid's Help Phone - 1-800-668-6868
Mental Health Hotline Ontario - 1-866-531-2600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Click here for a list of crisis centres within Canada
Suicide Prevention Resource Centre
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

If you have the contact info to your local mental help centres, let me know!

--------------------
[Image: 34987_s.gif]
Player Page | Updates

[Image: 8y3FJne.jpg][Image: kA0CbGn.png][Image: aGT9Qsn.png]

Seriously it could be a good idea. I am earing more and more rookie mentioninng that the amount of time players have to wait before being called up and the lack of progression in the SMJHL hurt them. Many team play their big guns more and more in order to have a chance to win instead of concidering the rookies.

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

[b]Potential changes to the PT system have gone through many different ideas over the past few seasons, some with a lot of potential and others with not so much. If you were to change the PT system in any way, whether it's the ideas behind the PTs, the style, or the structure of the system itself, what would you want to see implemented, and why?[\b]

I’d personally like to see one PT during gm the season where it is more of an open prompt/free write. Minmium 300 words, write something SHL related. It’d be fun for the people that feel limited by the PTs, and would let the creative sides of people show.

Sven Holmberg

[Image: hexx55.gif]

[Image: mitochondriafigure1.jpg]
Player Page | Update Page

Quote:Originally posted by Muerto@Oct 28 2017, 12:20 AM

Nobody gives a fuck about West Kendall, stop trying to make West Kendall a thing.
Like anybody cares about you /s

[Image: giphy.gif]

Honestly I'm playing.less than 18 minutes so I give a damn about limiting ice time. Max should be 24 for forwards and 28 for defenseman.

[Image: giphy.gif]