Create Account

Steelhawks Not Worried About Odjick's Struggles

Steelhawks Not Worried About Odjick's Struggles

[Image: gino-odjick-fight.jpg]

Angelo Odjick isn't happy with his play right now, which begs the question: What happened?

Selected second overall behind Robert Phelps in the S35 SHL Entry Draft, expectations were high for Odjick to become an immediate success like Phelps. When he failed to make the jump straight from SMJHL into the SHL some questioned the Steelhawks GM Hallsy decision to take Odjick so high in the draft.

Rookies like him aren't supposed to slip into the SHL and look like they've played for years like this Vancouver, BC native did in pre-season. There were never any serious lulls in the 21-year-old's game, and there isn't really one right now.

Sure, his speed might be lagging a bit behind the rest of his team He's not producing like he did in the last two seasons in the SMJHL with the Vancouver Whalers, but that's part of the rookie process and sounds like it will be forgiven by the Hamilton Steelhawks management team.

"Odjick may not be getting the points. That everyone was expecting out of him this season but he has been what I call a glue guy. He battles for loose pucks. He works hard every shift. He can play in any situation and I'm comfortable in using him anywhere. I think he is going to be a high-end talent in the SHL," says head GM Hallsy. “He just needs to keep focus and work on his game every day. He will be a 40-50 point all situation power forward that will help us win games."

"I think Odjick has been having a great rookie season," says co-GM Gooney. "He's already playing some big minutes for our team in his first year. Playing on the second line with Phelps and Angello. Our 2nd line has been big for us this season. The past few season its felt like we've been a one line team with no chance at the playoffs. Now we have a shot at the post-season because of the way our 2nd line has been playing. Odjick is a big reason for that. He has put up some decent scoring numbers. Hits anything that moves out there. And he has played some big penalty kill minutes for us. I think Odjick has a great career ahead of him."

The reason for the focus on Odjick now is he's reaching that magical point of an SHL season. It's the one where games go to another level as teams strive to make the playoffs, and it's also when players go from SMJHL hockey to the SHL often hit the proverbial wall.

When coming up from the SMJHL, the competition is about 10 times tougher, so fatigue can be a real job hazard.

Odjick didn't get specific about his current struggle, but just like when he makes a mistake on the ice, he doesn't let it linger. He focuses on making the next play a good one.

"I've kind of hit a rough spot for a little bit, but it's good," Odjick said Saturday. "You just got to stick with it. Going into the season I knew there would be ups and downs, and things have gone reasonably well so far, so I just got to get back on track to how I was performing before."

The Steelhawks have 14 games remaining, which would put Odjick at 22 points for the season, and there are no signs Hallsy is starting to rely any less on the Vancouver Whalers product. He's -1 in the last 3 games, but his ice time has not diminished. He's had more than 20 minutes in all 36 games under Hallsy and Gooney.

Another young gun who will be on the ice this coming Sunday night at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton will be the league-leading rookie Robert Phelps, Odjick's linemate, who's the favorite to win the Ryan Jesster Award this season.

[Image: K2UHmak.jpg]

"Sure we've had some ups and downs this season," Phelps said, "but I feel like our chemistry on the ice is unmatched. The Steelhawks could be putting anyone on our right wing and I think we could make it work, we just read off each other so well. This season has been a bit of a first for me, I've been playing with Odjick so long, and I don't remember ever having more goals than him in a season, but somehow I've managed to get a lead on him in that regard in the SHL."

"Odjick and I came into the league after playing together as teenagers, I never really imagined ending up on the same SMJHL team as him, let alone the same SHL team. We spent a great few years together in juniors and now that we are in the big leagues we are having a blast."

Odjick's slow start has been surprising to most of the scouts who'd watched him in back to back cup wins in the SMJHL. He was even the playoff MVP in his last season in Vancouver.

"I definitely wouldn't say he's playing badly, he's tied for 6th in the rookie scoring race with our old teammate Sophia Bennett," Phelps said, "but I think he's still adjusting to the game at this level. Given a bit more time and the chemistry we've got going, and maybe a high-end right winger, I figure he's going to surpass me again and be the goal scorer and I will go back to being more of a playmaker. The future is definitely bright in Hamilton and I'm very excited to have one of my best friends by my side for the ride."

We asked Odjick about how it felt to continue playing with his long-time friend Phelps, and him trailing behind him for the first time in points. "Everybody knows he's a great player," Odjick said. "He's somebody you got to be aware of when he's on the ice. I've always known Phelpsy was going to be a superstar from the first moment I saw him play back in Vancouver on the Vipers when we were kids."