Create Account

Prospect Prospectus: Julian O'Sullivan

Code:
1305 words plus the double media bonus and I'd like to send 75% of the proceeds to JuOSu for providing the meat of this article

<a href='index.php?showuser=2921' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>JuOSu</a>

Name: Julian O'Sullivan
Position: Goaltender
Player Type: Hybrid Goalie
Height (ft.): 6'4"
Weight (lbs.): 235
Birthplace: Dublin, Ireland

Confidence comes in different forms. There are those who have a brash confidence, people who know they’re the best and want everyone else to know it, too. People like Muhammad Ali, Floyd Mayweather, and Zlatan Ibrahimovic embodied this cocky arrogance and – perhaps even more annoyingly – backed those words up with their performances.

Those are the players that make you wonder. Is it a mask? Are they self-conscious or insecure and cope with those feelings by putting a mask on? Or have they been living with a chip on their shoulder for so long they don’t know any other way of doing things? Perhaps they’re completely well-adjusted human beings putting on a show for marketing purposes, to entertain the masses, or for their own personal amusement. Perhaps it’s something else entirely.

But there’s a different type of confidence. A scary confidence that puts the world on notice – not with arrogant monologues or what they say at all but completely about what they don’t say. These players have the utmost confidence in their abilities but don’t feel the need to tell everyone about it. They prefer to show everyone.

That’s the type of confidence that Julian O’Sullivan has in spades.
We recently met in a quiet coffee shop. You know the type: warm, sparsely populated, soft music playing through the speakers, full of great smells. It’s a relaxing atmosphere, the kind of place you go when you want to think. Or have a genuine conversation.

We chatted a bit, getting to know each other, and O’Sullivan told me about his journey to this point as one of the top European prospects. How his whole life he has prepared for this moment. As we talk, though, I get the impression that he is interviewing me as much as I’m interviewing him. Maybe more, in fact.

He grew up a Buffalo Sabres fan and spoke of the impression that Ryan Miller has had on him. A very good goalie throughout his career, that’s a solid choice for a role model and someone whose game you strive to emulate. O’Sullivan looks at me curiously, though, as I say that and after a brief moment corrects me.

Quote: I don't necessarily model my game after him, but I respect him and look up to him.

That was what was said. What was left unsaid was: “I believe my game will surpass his.” Or at least that’s how I interpreted it. That’s the thing with the quietly confidant, you’re only ever half sure you’re understanding them.

Nevertheless, we push on to the draft. O’Sullivan talks a bit about the teams that have contacted him and stresses that the teams that left the best impression were those who actually engaged him in conversation.

Quote: I have definitely had some better impressions of some teams, guys that actually had a conversation with me or something like this where I feel like the questions are at least in part aimed at me personally and not just something you ask every draftee. It feels more special.

Aw, shucks. Though he won’t say it himself, he knows he’s special. He knows he’s deserving of extra effort and while he may not demand it or dismiss those who don’t give it to him, he does make a mental note. I get the impression he never forgets.

Much ink has been spilled discussing this crop of goalies. There are only four prospects in the class and all four of them have all-star potential. For teams who are having a hard time deciding between the four, why should they consider O’Sullivan?

Quote:  I think my previous work speaks for itself.

Indeed it does. The young netminder goes on:

Quote:As a goalie I stand out even more [in this class]. I am dedicated to become better and will work my hardest.

I have heard some very differing opinions from GMs and friends on this topic. Some tend to think I will fall to their 2nd or 3rd pick, while I have also heard first round as a potential landing spot. Personally, I think in the end my work will speak for itself and someone will want me and not risk someone else having a shot at me.

There’s a lot to unpack there but it was that first sentence and that last sentence that are the most important, serving as a clear message to all the teams in this draft considering passing on Julian O’Sullivan. My work speaks for itself and someone won’t risk passing on me were what was said. What was left unsaid was if you do pass on me, I will make you regret it.

While these quotes may come off in print as somewhat brooding or clinical that couldn’t be further from the atmosphere of our talks. As we sat in that coffee shop enjoying our drinks and talking some puck, O’Sullivan was very light-hearted and gracious but ever inquisitive. Watching us from behind the counter or outside the window you would never guess that we were conducting a professional hockey interview, it was more like two friends having a conversation.

And you would certainly never guess that the sharply-dressed Irishman sitting across from me confessed his love for rap music and professional wrestling.

As our chat flowed naturally toward the IIHF tournament that is currently in full swing, I almost reluctantly brought up Ireland’s goalie situation. The Irish team currently boasts all-star goaltender Olli O’Koivu of the Minnesota Chiefs between the pipes and waiting in the wings is the young superstar Beaujeaux Biscuit who made his brief SHL debut with West Kendall last season and will take over the starting role this season. With two elite players like that ahead on the depth chart and being only a few seasons behind Biscuit, would this third elite Irish goaltender consider transferring to another federation?

Quote:“I [feel] a deep connection to it and [I’m] from Ireland obviously. I also heard afterwards [IIHF Head] Evok is heavily connected to the Irish team which bodes well for me. I think over time my work will speak for itself and I may at least become backup eventually. I don't put too much emphasis on it.

There’s that line again. My work will speak for itself. I would be remiss if I didn’t point that that federations are barred from contacting IIHF prospects to discuss the potential of a transfer until the SMJHL playoffs begin and that no tampering was committed in the making of this article. Though come playoff time, I suspect O’Sullivan will have many suitors vying for his affection – just as he does now ahead of the SMJHL draft.

O’Sullivan does have a message for interested SMJHL teams.

Quote: As a goalie, playing time is definitely a factor. I know I will start as a backup most likely but I am hoping to at least get some starts beyond just the 6 game minimum, with a chance to compete as starter as time goes on. I do want a team that can be supportive and helps with my development as well.

Will we see O’Sullivan in a starting role in time for his team’s playoff push? I wouldn’t bet against him.

As our lengthy talk begins to wind down, the impressive prospect thanks me for talking with him – as if he wasn’t doing me a favor by giving me tons of material to write about. He knows his draft stock is high regardless of this article and even if it’s not I don’t get the impression he cares all that much. That just means more teams that will regret their mistake.

Ever vigilant, O’Sullivan knows what he wants and knows he’ll make it.

Quote: [I’m ready] to make the big jump to the SHL and obviously Juniors comes first.

What was said: I’m ready for the SHL.

What was unsaid: I’m going to destroy the SMJHL first.

I think his work will speak for itself.

Jack Tanner (D) - [Player Page] [Player Updates]

[Image: mH3z832.png]

[Image: Beaver.gif]
One sig is tweed's and the other was a karlssens/Copenhagen collab

AC | Bank | Claims

I loved you in Footloose

Thank you for the article Smile

[Image: AwDqhTW.png]