Create Account

We're Going Streaking

Code:
1129 words, ok now I'm finished;)

Coming off a dismal start to the season in which they faced the toughest schedule in the league, the Montreal Militia have righted the ship to win 8 straight games (and earned points in 9 straight) after a 1-6-1 start. At this early juncture of the season the streak has vaulted them from dead last to 4th place and just 3 points shy of 1st.

This run has been pure magical bullshit as 6 of the 8 wins have come by 1 goal, including 4 in extra time, but after starting out 0-3-1 in 1 goal games no one on the Militia will be complaining.

Where does this 8 game winning streak rank historically? What about the 9 game points streak? Luckily I have the answer to these questions and will reveal it in the most long-winded and verbose way imaginable to milk a couple extra dollars.

Winning streak first.

With the season indices out of commission for S30 and earlier we have to content ourselves with considering only S31 to present. This obviously leaves out a lot of great streaks and doesn't portray the complete picture, in fact the reason I'm writing this topic is because of <a href='index.php?showuser=1119' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>artermis</a> talking about Prince George's massive points streak in S30.

During these 8 seasons the longest winning streak recorded was by the Halifax Raiders in S33. After starting the season 5-8-3 the Raiders went on an absolute tear and registered wins in their next 11 games. Perhaps even more impressively, these games weren't particularly competitive as only 2 went to extra time and 2 more were decided by 1 goal in regulation (a third was a 1 goal margin until a late empty net goal).

Unsurprisingly, Halifax had some incredible goaltending during this 11 game streak, as Max Smith-Frey stopped 233 of the 254 shots he faced for a .917 save percentage. He never had a heavy workload, only facing 30+ shots once in those 11 games, but made the most of his opportunities and always keeping his team in the game. At the other end of the ice the Raiders were led by winger Sepp Reiter who scored 11 goals and tallied 11 assists during the 11 game run. Only the Detroit Falcons were able to hold him off the scoresheet as he registered points in 10 of the 11 games, including a hat trick against Kelowna. Brandon Gauthier and Zander Rhys were right behind him with 15 and 14 points respectively, each getting on the scoreboard in 9 of the 11 games. All told, 17 different skaters recorded multiple points during this streak that saw the Raiders beat 6 of the other 7 teams at least once (they didn't play the Montreal Militia). This same Halifax team would register a separate 7 game winning streak, as well.

The team who lost in a shootout to begin Halifax's streak came back two seasons later and nearly equaled the feat as the St. Louis Scarecrows won 10 straight games to close out the S35 regular season. This streak looked similar to Montreal's current streak as the Scarecrows won 6 of their 10 games by a 1 goal margin, including a shootout win over Colorado in which Jimmy Wagner didn't allow a single shootout goal on 6 attempts. Speaking of the goalie, he was phenomenal for the Scarecrows during this stretch, recording 4 shutouts and holding his opponents to 1 or fewer goals in 8 of the 10 games as he saved 201 of the 211 shots he faced for a .953 save percentage. The Scarecrow offense wasn't nearly as prolific as their Raider predecessors but scored nicely by committee with Louie Garrett leading the way with 8 points (all assists) complemented by Matthew Auston scoring 7, and Roman Augustus, Joonas Rasmussen, and Brett Kennedy all recording 6. Like S33 Halifax, this same Scarecrow team would record a separate 7 game streak in the same season.

A year before the 11 game streak that stands as the longest of the easily-obtainable-index era, the Halifax Raiders also recorded the 3rd longest winning streak with a 9 game string in S32. That mark is joined by an 8 game streak S35 Vancouver put together and by the current 8 game streak S38 Montreal is looking to add to.

As for the point streaks, Montreal is one of 12 teams to put together 9 straight games of earning points and looks to be just the 6th to reach double digits. S35 St. Louis, of course, registered 10 straight - which were all wins and were already covered.

In S33 the Kelowna Knights put together an 11 game point streak as part of a stellar start to the season which saw them boasting a 17-3-3 record nearly halfway through the season.

After those two it's all Raiders at the top as the S37 edition put together a 14 game point streak to start the season. That was snapped by a 1-2 stretch that was bookended by another 9 game point streak as part of a start that saw the Raiders lose in regulation just 4 times in their first 36 games..

S32 Halifax put together 15 in a row during a dominant run that saw 14 wins, 13 of which were in regulation. The Raiders outscored their opponents 70-24 during this run.

And the longest points streak during the easily-obtainable-index era goes to the same team who owns the longest win streak: S33 Halifax. The first 11 of those 19 games were wins that set that record snapped by a shootout loss to Colorado in Game 12. The Raiders won 6 of their next 7, dropping one game in overtime before losing to Prince George in regulation to bring their 19 straight games of earning points to a close.

Following discussion with <a href='index.php?showuser=1119' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>artermis</a> in the S38 Index topic it strikes me as extremely likely that S30 Prince George would take this crown if I can get my hands on that index as he seemed confident that team hit at least 22 and possibly higher and I have no reason not to believe him.

By the time you're reading this the Montreal streak may be dead and all of this historical posturing was for naught but it's always good to keep in mind just how rare these streaks are, for they require some combination of team skill, ease of schedule, and several metric tons of fairy dust. Only 10 times since S31 has a team won 7 games in a row and only 12 times in that time has a team earned points in 9 straight. Contrary to Frank the Tank's insistence, not everybody is streaking. These streakers don't come around every day so when they do go by you should sit back and enjoy the view.

[Image: gqIK05U.png]

Jack Tanner (D) - [Player Page] [Player Updates]

[Image: mH3z832.png]

[Image: Beaver.gif]
One sig is tweed's and the other was a karlssens/Copenhagen collab

AC | Bank | Claims

I love streaks. My favorite was probably the 4 game streak in the Season 37 Four Star Cup Finals.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Quote:Originally posted by WannabeFinn@Dec 14 2017, 04:34 PM
I love streaks. My favorite was probably the 4 game streak in the Season 37 Four Star Cup Finals.
[Image: Lc3uhZe.jpg]

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by WannabeFinn@Dec 14 2017, 12:04 AM

Old news, find better material.

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

Quote:Originally posted by WannabeFinn@Dec 14 2017, 02:04 AM

I'm partial to the four-game streak against Montreal in the S31 playoffs, personally.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

I was on that Scarecrows team that won ten games to end the season in S35
Barely had any role in it lmao

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

Quote:Originally posted by bluesfan55@Dec 14 2017, 08:28 AM

But you were there, man. It counts.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

Quote:Originally posted by bluesfan55@Dec 14 2017, 08:28 AM

Joe Kerchewski only played two games in the Challenge Cup in S32 but he's still a champion.

[Image: ashford.png]

Whalers
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Renegades  raiders  Finland

Came in here expecting nudes; not sure if I'm disappointed or not

For the record, the 11 games (confirmed) streak for PGF in S30 was 100% not 22 points, as it included at least 4 OTLs (all in a row,in fact) so make that 18 points with a maximum of 6 more games possibly going to the streak

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

Solid work tho, shame we don't yet have the HHOF history expansion I suggested forever ago <_<

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by ConnorTanner@Dec 14 2017, 06:08 AM

Old news, find better material.
If you think for a minute that I’m NOT going to hold the S37 sweep over Montreal’s heads for the rest of their existence, you’re wrong

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Quote:Originally posted by WannabeFinn@Dec 14 2017, 02:04 AM
my least favorite streak is your streak of being a stinkboye

Jack Tanner (D) - [Player Page] [Player Updates]

[Image: mH3z832.png]

[Image: Beaver.gif]
One sig is tweed's and the other was a karlssens/Copenhagen collab

AC | Bank | Claims

Quote:Originally posted by WannabeFinn@Dec 14 2017, 12:59 PM

If you think for a minute that I’m NOT going to hold the S37 sweep over Montreal’s heads for the rest of their existence, you’re wrong

You’re a stinkboi talk to me when you max combat

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

all thoses winning and point earning games streak for thr Raiders B) B)

[Image: uktCsuX.png]