Create Account

Weekend Funtime: Change

Quote:-The SHL Head Office is currently accepting applications! Who would you like to see join HO (whether in this cycle or in the future), and why do you think they would be good for the job if they were to apply?

I think Coach Biz should apply for HO personally just based on the amount of effort and care he has for this league. He's a bit on the emotional side but he's easily one of the more creative guys on the site, would be a fantastic choice to hopefully bring some fresh ideas to the table and prevent HO from being trapped in an often too similar mindset.

Quote:- There's been a lot of commotion lately over shortening the offseason as much as possible, and while the changes have done a great deal of good in keeping activity alive, it's also thrown some aspects of the site a bit off-kilter in both leagues. Is it all good or bad? Is the offseason just right now? Too short? What are your opinions on the pacing changes that the site has seen lately?

At this point I think the offseason has just been trimmed down enough, I really don't think it has any business being shorter now. Multiple GMs were caught on small infractions of being 1 player short of a complete roster and having to forfeit a 3rd because of it. If this only happened to one GM fine, but the fact that it happened to multiple in this rushed offseason sort of showed that a lot of these teams were rushed and couldn't double check everything. I think we should strive to avoid a long offseason but as a GM I wouldn't mind seeing the site get even just a little breathing room between seasons, especially with how busy that time can be.

Quote:-HO and ArGarBarGar have been working with the idea of potentially adding All-Star games and exhibition games to the SHL schedule. Should we expand our schedules? If so, how would you like to see All-Star games done on the site? What about exhibition games?

I think at 50 games the schedule is just fine, anything more runs the risk of generating fatigue in waiting for the playoffs to come. The key for exhibition games and all star games has to be some level of excitement beyond the sim result. PbPs are polarizing but stuff like the all star game lose their value if its just posted as a sim result. The build up towards the all star game should be what draws the excitement. The league's most talented writers should be writing articles commissioned by HO, guys who have hosted SHL Awards shows like ml002 or Ztevans should announce the rosters chosen by the committee, the graphics guys like karey can design the official jerseys and logos for the games. If we're going to have All Star games come back, it needs to be a spectacle, it can't just be a sim result. Use this as an opportunity to create more jobs on the site, and make this a fun experience for the whole site. Don't really care for exhibition games.

Quote:-Mike Izzy posted an interesting question in SHL media a couple of weeks ago. If you were to make an SHL Mount Rushmore, so to speak, whose (4) faces would be on it? Would your user Mount Rushmore be different than your player Mount Rushmore? (If you participated in the shorter discussion on this in the media thread, feel free to just c/p your response there in this thread or link to it. I just figured it was a question that deserved greater exposure than it got.)

For me it kind of comes down to post activity, forum and discussion leaders, which I think is more important that simply seniority and tenure. If I had to narrow it down to 4 it would have to be crutch, WannabeFinn, JumpierPegasus and Ztevans, with honourable mention to Eggy as well. All these guys are in EVERY thread, contributing, leading discussion, and making this place a fun and enjoyable site to be on. That passion is what draws out other people to be active on here, and those 4 are the guys I see who bring it out that activity in people the most.

[Image: bjobin2.png]
[Image: 9tINabI.png][Image: c97iD9R.png]

**First GM in SMJHL history to win 3 Four Star Cups back-to-back-to-back**

The offseason is a perfect pace in my opinion right now. A long offseason can be the death knell on a lot of aspects for players, most notably 1st generation SHL draftees. I really like the new, streamlined offseason.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

Quote:Originally posted by Dude@Jun 2 2018, 12:48 PM
I believe <a href='index.php?showuser=2614' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-62'>Clint Eastwood</a> should be given an HO position. He is universally loved and deserves that job and more because I love him.

"Universally loved"

You are quite the character. I believe you are universally loved by everyone besides a few USA teammates.

when i first joined, the offseason took almost as long as the regular season (it felt like). I feel like we are at a good point in where offseason gives the simmer, gms, etc enough of a break while still being as quick as possible.

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

I would love to see all-star games added to the schedule. I think it would be cool to see how teams mesh with the best players forming the entire teams. This is something I’ve been thinking is missing for the entire time I’ve been here.

I think we could also have a young stars game too or something to get more people involved and not just make it about the already most committed players.

Player Page --- Update Page
[Image: twils.gif]
Picture credit to Allen, Jenny, enigmatic, Wasty, ckroyal92, 701, and EJ

300+ Career Goals, 750+ Career Points
5th All-Time Goals Scored for WKP,
8th All-Time Goals Scored for SEA/TBB
3rd All-Time in Playoff Points
17th All-Time in Goals

6 Consecutive 50+ Point Seasons, 7 Total
Quote:"idc if ur naked if ur holding that cup" -Jenny

I think the offseason has finally hit a sweet spot. While deadlines for the GMs could be a little better done but the time frame works well. It's still short enough to keep people interested but just long enough to give anyone who needs a short break one.

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by nour@Jun 2 2018, 03:27 PM

I think Coach Biz should apply for HO personally just based on the amount of effort and care he has for this league. He's a bit on the emotional side but he's easily one of the more creative guys on the site, would be a fantastic choice to hopefully bring some fresh ideas to the table and prevent HO from being trapped in an often too similar mindset.

thank you sir :-x

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

-The SHL Head Office is currently accepting applications! Who would you like to see join HO (whether in this cycle or in the future), and why do you think they would be good for the job if they were to apply?

I have witnessed several HO changes and at this point I just would like someone who would want to change this league for better and maybe work hard on possibilities of introducing new stuff and making some additional things to this league experience! Anyone?

Knights - Player Page - Update Page - Knights

[Image: 47963_s.gif]

Code:
-HO and ArGarBarGar have been working with the idea of potentially adding All-Star games and exhibition games to the SHL schedule. Should we expand our schedules? If so, how would you like to see All-Star games done on the site? What about exhibition games?

I loved ArGar's videos he made, both the all stars and exhibitions ones - I wouldn't mind one bit if the offseason was extended if more of those vids are hitting the site.

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

I'd vote for JP to be in HO cause they make me laugh the most out of people who seem like they'd be alright.

[Image: 4sN9yMR.png]

i'm defo a bitter old shl user at this point but the offseason is wayyyyy too fast for me these days, good grief. it's a vast improvement on the endless offseasons we used to have, but i would prefer a little more breathing room than we've had as of late, and i'm not even a GM.

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates

I think Kit would be a good fit for HO because he has been here a long time and cares a lot about SHL and would do an excellent job at it.

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page

Quote:Originally posted by c00kies@Jun 3 2018, 12:40 AM

Yeah, we already have groups that end up picking a few games into the season, which isn't fair since they get a quick preview of players that might do well and can steal any sleepers.

I also don't like shortening the off-season more because that's where most of the changes occur, so you need to allow time for teams to transition. This league, although a hockey based one, is a lot like football where most of the changes occur in the off-season, but with relatively little movement throughout the season (with just an occasional trade deadline move).
I've actually set in new rules to prevent that- the drafts move to "first in first served" after two sims, and managers no longer accept picks after three.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

-Mike Izzy posted an interesting question in SHL media a couple of weeks ago. If you were to make an SHL Mount Rushmore, so to speak, whose (4) faces would be on it? Would your user Mount Rushmore be different than your player Mount Rushmore? (If you participated in the shorter discussion on this in the media thread, feel free to just c/p your response there in this thread or link to it. I just figured it was a question that deserved greater exposure than it got.)

Wasty, Bottas, Rice, and Toivo. They're all great guys and have or have had great players.

Code:
16 words

[Image: cWxBbhu.png]
Sig by Wasty and Copenhagen.
Former GM: [Image: bhn88m.png]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png] | [Image: gs89eGV.png] |  [Image: gdppv5N.png]
Affiliates:[Image: 2ugjkte.jpg] [Image: bhn88m.png] [Image: e8s6jq.png] Former Affiliates: [Image: xaoosh.png]

- There's been a lot of commotion lately over shortening the offseason as much as possible, and while the changes have done a great deal of good in keeping activity alive, it's also thrown some aspects of the site a bit off-kilter in both leagues. Is it all good or bad? Is the offseason just right now? Too short? What are your opinions on the pacing changes that the site has seen lately?

Anyone from the NSFL knows about shortening offseasons. Last seasons it was like 3-4 weeks and everyone hated it. HO decided to decrease it to barely a week and a hlaf and while the players might have liked it, the updaters, HO, and GMs were all a mess. It takes a while to do call-ups, send-downs, free agents, and to get the rookie updates into the sim. We've pretty much wated the first 2 games of the season with not up to date rosters because of the rushed offseason. For that, the SHL should keep it how it is. Let everyone have some time to organize during the offseason.