Create Account

SMJHL Teams' CITIES review
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2018, 08:32 PM by JURT.)

Why you [don't] want to be drafted in the 8 SMJHL cities

Hi there, young SMJHL prospect. Right now, you are probably wondering if and where you are going to be drafted, thinking about what team has the most sucess recently, what team has a prestigious past, what team will have a spot on the roster for you, and so on.

Well I am stopping you right here. All teams are teams, and you will play hockey if you want to play hockey. Or not if you're bad at it, but that's really not what you should worry about before the draft. What you should worry about is what city you will end up in, because some of them are dream destinations and some of them are holes you don't want to find yourself in. Here's a little recap I made for you:

"The City of Lights and Flowers, Los Anchorage"

Anchorage, AL, U.S.A.
Big Wild Life

Population
400 888 (1st in Alaska, 134th in the United States)

Why you want to live there

The home of the Armada has been named the most tax-friendly city in the United States, so if you don't want none of that communist bullsh*t and don't want to give your hard-earned money to the government, it's the place for you.

Why you don't want to live there

It's only the 134th city in population in the U.S. so there's a lot less to do with your free time. It's also further north that Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki and Saint Petersburg, so it's a tiny bit colder than the first 133 cities.

"The Mile-High City, Queen City of the Plains"
Denver, CO, U.S.A.
It's our Nature

Population
2 888 227 (1st in Colorado, 19th in the United States)

The legalization of marijuana was a great argument over the last few years, and it still is for the next few months. With Canada as a whole legalizing it on October 17th, however, that gives the argument to the four canadian teams in the SMJHL, so it's only half an argument now.

The fact that the Raptors are one of the very few teams in both the SHL and SMJHL to be named after a state and not a city is clearly a sign that the résidents aren't proud enough of being Denverites, so there's definitely something wrong with it. Maybe the fact that the word "Denverite" sounds like an STD.

"The Motor City, Renaissance City, Hockeytown, Rock City, City of the Straits"
Detroit, MI, U.S.A.

We hope for better days, it shall rise from the ashes
([i]Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus)
[/i]

Population
4 313 002 (1st in Michigan, 14th in the United States)

Detroit is constantly vibrating with culture, with names like Stevie Wonder, Alice Cooper and The White Stripes all calling it a home.

This city is on a steep decline economically and by consequence demographically. It's the largest city to have ever filed for bankruptcy, and has also been known for it's high criminality. It's getting better now, but it still has one of the highest rates per capita for homicide in the United States.

The City of Trees
Halifax, NS, CAN
From the Sea, Wealth

Population
403 390 (1st in Nova Scotia, 13th in Canada)

Halifax came in first place on fDi Magazine's ranking of America's (North and South) large cities by quality of life. It is a beautiful city encircled by many beautiful landscapes such as Peggy's Cove

I don't know, I went twice and I'm in love with the place. Trying to be objective though, the cold can be brutal as with anywhere in Canada, and even though it's bigger than Anchorage it's still relatively small.

"Orchard City, the Four-Season Playground"
Kelowna, BC, CAN
Fruitful in Unity

Population
194 882 (3rd in British Columbia, 22nd in Canada)

Basically Halifax of the West, a calm little city with many nice landmarks around, like the Okanagan Lake. The proximity of the Rockies is very nice if you're into skiing or Snowboarding.

Another city on this list with high criminality, Kelowna has one of the highest crime rate in Canada because of its property crime. At least it's a less violent form of crime than in Detroit, but theft and burglary are still bad.

"The City of Saints, the City of a Hundred Steeples, Sin City, The City of Festivals, The Real City, La Métropole"
Montréal, QC, CAN

Well-being through Harmony
(Concordia Salus)

Population
4 097 923 (1st in Québec, 2nd in Canada)

A great city where there's always something to do, be it music shows, stand-up comedy festival or, if you're into that, walking along the famous red light of the Ste-Catherine Street to partake in a way of life that broke many a player's career. I hear it was worth it.

French people.

"The Gateway City, Mound City, the Lou, Rome of the West, River City"
St-Louis, MO, U.S.A.

Population
2 807 338 (2nd in Missouri, 61st in the United States)

There's a lot of good things to be said about St-Louis, but we can't just pass over the best thing: the biggest arch in the world. The tallest man-made monument of the western hemisphere stands tall with a 192m peak and that's just amazing on an architectural standpoint.

With nicknames like "The Gateway City" and "The Mound" (and yet no motto), just let your imagination go wild.

"Rain City, Hollywood North, No Fun City"
Vancouver, BC, CAN
By Sea, Land and Air We Prosper

Population
2 463 431

You're basically guaranteed to eventually learn a second language, as more than half of the city's population has another language than English as its first language. Vancouver has made many top-5's and top-10's ranking cities by different criteria and is called Hollywood North for a reason.

Housing prices are completely ridiculous, so you might have to sell a kidney if you're going to have a decent quality of life. The night-life has also been mentionned by many to be terrible.

So with that in mind, you can now really stress about where you're going to end up. They all have their little flaws, but all in all they are all good cities to live in.

(Statistics are based on the cities metropolitan areas)

[x2 bonus for draft-related article]
[1111 words]

[Image: lespoils.gif]

This guy is clearly my multi.

Love the article idea.

[Image: 7eETdF8.png]
Falcons

Quote:Why you want to live there
A great city where there's always something to do, be it music shows, stand-up comedy festival or, if you're into that, walking along the famous red light of the Ste-Catherine Street to partake in a way of life that broke many a player's career. I hear it was worth it.

It was. My favorite clubs are closed though.

Renegades  raiders  Finland

This was beautiful. Quality reporting on what every smjhl rookie should really be thinking about

[Image: gotze_team_siggy.png]
[Image: lKRNHAn.png]

A great city where there's always something to do

as a montreal resident, hard disagree

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page

07-07-2018, 07:27 PMWaters Wrote:

Really depends what you're into I guess, I'm in Trois-Rivières and always see ads/FB events for stuff that make me wish I just had a car to drive there

[Image: lespoils.gif]

Detroit has a high murder rate per capita because every time Montreal comes to town there's 20 fresh corpses

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

07-07-2018, 08:27 PMlespoils Wrote:
07-07-2018, 07:27 PMWaters Wrote:

Really depends what you're into I guess, I'm in Trois-Rivières and always see ads/FB events for stuff that make me wish I just had a car to drive there
It's definitely a nice place, I'm slightly messing around. I'm in a bit more of a boring area, but it's pretty awesome downtown.

Player Page
Update Page

07-07-2018, 08:29 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Detroit has a high murder rate per capita because every time Montreal comes to town there's 20 fresh corpses

ya

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Player Page
Update Page