Create Account

Buffalo is Toxic
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2018, 01:14 AM by karey.)

It’s no surprise that many members on the site find the Stampede either an afterthought, or a bunch of dill weeds. I have heard from members that they would rather not get drafted to Buffalo because of reasons a,b, or c. We have publicly called out the likes of HO, other members, and often our petty chirps get personal and laden with insults. Anytime there is drama, you will find us in the centre of it. It’s almost like we play SHL between suspensions rather than sims, but toxic is not the word to describe our LR, it’s honestly the opposite.

Sure, we are militant in our action on site, when we feel an injustice, especially when it involves somebody on our team, sometimes we get a little finger crazy and go guns blazing, attacking everybody in sight. And you know what, even though that is much of the reason our perception on the site has been polarizing, what I can really appreciate is how much we care about each other. It’s not about a game, it’s not about winning and losing a simulation league, because let’s face it, we haven’t had much success on the former in team history, but because having your brother’s back sometimes takes precedence. I don’t want to be caught watching again, it’s a lesson I learned once and hope to never repeat.

A few Halloween’s ago, my brother and I were on the Skytrain (rail system in Vancouver), and one of our friends was messing around with another group of guys after a night out. People started shoving and I just stood there. My brother went in, threw a punch, got kicked by some dude, and I just stood there. Was my friend wrong, yes. Did he need me to have his back. Yes. Did I have his back. No. In my heart I tell myself I would take a bullet for my friends and a grenade for my brother, but in that moment I couldn’t even risk a punch.

This haunts me, not so much because of the effects of the incident, all things considered it was really a non issue as cooler heads prevailed as we left the train at the next stop, but my inaction taught me a lesson about what it means to be a brother. This is Buffalo. We are a group of scrappy, chirp first members, but our identity lies in our brotherhood and how much we care about each other. Here are some stories I want to share, not to sell you on anything, but because I feel like these stories are why I will never leave this team. This is why we don’t just like and tolerate each other, we love each other and will go down fighting.

Many people know about one of our members getting into a car accident. Details aren’t mine to tell, but how our team rallied is something to be commemorated. We had guys constantly reaching out, through the general means, but even going as far as to calling this member, reaching out through Instagram DM’s, sending wishes and well being, not because of any SHL reason, but because he was our guy.

A not so well known story, we had a guy come out, saying he was gay and that not many people knew. We had members reach out in PM’s and walk with him on a long arduous journey through telling his family, but also learning to actually like himself. - Sometimes there were things he was doing, and although we really didn’t have to right to call him out on it, we made it very clear how we felt and persuaded him against making decisions that weren’t well thought out.

One of our teammates was about to be kicked out of University. So what did the guys in Buffalo do? Well they helped construct him a letter to his Dean detailing the reasons to why he was not performing academically to standards he could meet due to traumatic personal life issues, and then walk with him through the process of reinstatement to where is he is now succeeding.

And I can finally talk on my behalf. I credit a lot of my mental health stability to these guys. I know they will hear me out, I know they will comfort me when I am down, and I honestly can see that they care about me. I am a lot like many of you, I deal with a daily battle with depression, something I don’t openly talk about, but something that I know many people here share the same demon, and the best part is, I am not alone because of the Buffalo LR. It says something that our entire LR is made up of people who have only played for one team only (outside of Atmey), we do lose a few people here and there, but rarely to FA. We are a group of guys that recognize just how different we are, but celebrate that thats what makes us fucking dope.

So yeah, this is to all the people who stuck around till the end, I’m sorry if there are things we have said or done that have caused you stress. I’m sorry that sometimes we act then think. I’m sorry that we make more enemies than friends, I’m sorry to Toronto that no matter how well you do, y’all still stink butt, however I will never be sorry about having my brothers’ backs, and nor should I expect any different from them.

This was an interesting read. I dunno what to say, im kinda speechless cause this was something that I felt in my heart, I guess. its crazy what a group of random internet dudes can do for each other, in a good way.

Its toxic?

I should runaway as chemist

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

11-19-2018, 01:19 AMChris-McZehrl Wrote: Its toxic?

I should runaway as chemist

send upper balls

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2018, 07:55 AM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

I would argue that this is what most LRs are like, the difference ist that most other teams don't reserve that basic kindness for just their teammates, but that they extend it to everyone else as well. The most toxic/hated teams have always prided themselves in having a very tight-knit LR where they are there for each other and help their mates out, but that doesn't change the fact that the impact they have on everyone else is that they are making their experience in the league worse.

I understand your real life story and can sympathize with you and the feeling of loyalty towards your mates, but the SHL isn't a drunken fight in a night train. Hell I have the same feelings every time one of my teammates is victim to a hard hit in a real life match, but I don't come storming in and blindly start swinging every single time because all that would net me and my team are stupid penalties and ultimately I might hurt my team more with it than I am helping - and my coach will let me know that. This clique mentality on here does more harm than good and I would argue that it would be better to hold your teammates accountable than to blindly have their back every time they get into a useless altercation, which just encourages them to continue their shitty behaviour. There is no risk of physical harm involved here, so when an argument breaks out, why not look at the actual points that people make instead of looking who is in your tribe and who is in the enemy tribe?

I am sorry to hear about your real-life mental health issues and it is good to hear that people in this league and on your team are objectively improving your life through the support they give you. But think about the other people in similar situation as yourself that you have mentioned. How do you think they feel when your team makes the league atmosphere worse and discussions become more toxic and hostile as soon as certain people from BUF get involved? Do you think that's good for people with depression or anxiety issues? Your mates might have helped you with your personal issues but they might've just as well made it worse for others, who can't enjoy this outlet anymore that used to help them forget about their problems for a bit. If the people on your team are able to be helpful and understanding and empathetic, then why reserve that just for your teammates? What's so hard about exhibiting these same virtues in public?

I know that you guys can't stand me anyway but honestly, this isn't just about Buffalo but something that that has always bothered me about this league. If people just have an abrasive personality and get into arguments because of it then it is what it is, that's just who they are and you can choose whether you are okay with that and still want to hang out around them or not. At least they are honest and somewhat authentic. But someone who can absolutely be a positive force and is super nice towards certain people, but who just chooses to be a dick to everyone else because he wants to? That's just really shitty in my eyes, being an asshole just for fun and making the site experience worse for everyone just to be edgy, when you could just show the same kindness to everyone than you are showing to your teammates - there's nothing good or admireable about that.

Ily Karey <3

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page

I'm glad you've been able to find the support structure that you need on this site and in that locker room. We all deserve that feeling of belonging.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

Quote:having your brother’s back sometimes takes precedence

[Image: noticias_file_foto_16797_1472595508.jpg]

11-19-2018, 09:42 AMjRuutu Wrote:
Quote:having your brother’s back sometimes takes precedence

[Image: noticias_file_foto_16797_1472595508.jpg]

you one of my SHL brothers <3

Challenge Cup Wins:

Four Star Cup Wins:

11-19-2018, 07:47 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: I would argue that this is what most LRs are like, the difference ist that most other teams don't reserve that basic kindness for just their teammates, but that they extend it to everyone else as well. The most toxic/hated teams have always prided themselves in having a very tight-knit LR where they are there for each other and help their mates out, but that doesn't change the fact that the impact they have on everyone else is that they are making their experience in the league worse.

I understand your real life story and can sympathize with you and the feeling of loyalty towards your mates, but the SHL isn't a drunken fight in a night train. Hell I have the same feelings every time one of my teammates is victim to a hard hit in a real life match, but I don't come storming in and blindly start swinging every single time because all that would net me and my team are stupid penalties and ultimately I might hurt my team more with it than I am helping - and my coach will let me know that. This clique mentality on here does more harm than good and I would argue that it would be better to hold your teammates accountable than to blindly have their back every time they get into a useless altercation, which just encourages them to continue their shitty behaviour. There is no risk of physical harm involved here, so when an argument breaks out, why not look at the actual points that people make instead of looking who is in your tribe and who is in the enemy tribe?

I am sorry to hear about your real-life mental health issues and it is good to hear that people in this league and on your team are objectively improving your life through the support they give you. But think about the other people in similar situation as yourself that you have mentioned. How do you think they feel when your team makes the league atmosphere worse and discussions become more toxic and hostile as soon as certain people from BUF get involved? Do you think that's good for people with depression or anxiety issues? Your mates might have helped you with your personal issues but they might've just as well made it worse for others, who can't enjoy this outlet anymore that used to help them forget about their problems for a bit. If the people on your team are able to be helpful and understanding  and empathetic, then why reserve that just for your teammates? What's so hard about exhibiting these same virtues in public?

I know that you guys can't stand me anyway but honestly, this isn't just about Buffalo but something that that has always bothered me about this league. If people just have an abrasive personality and get into arguments because of it then it is what it is, that's just who they are and you can choose whether you are okay with that and still want to hang out around them or not. At least they are honest and somewhat authentic. But someone who can absolutely be a positive force and is super nice towards certain people, but who just chooses to be a dick to everyone else because he wants to? That's just really shitty in my eyes, being an asshole just for fun and making the site experience worse for everyone just to be edgy, when you could just show the same kindness to everyone than you are showing to your teammates - there's nothing good or admireable about that.
Super sick essay dude

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

(This post was last modified: 11-19-2018, 11:55 AM by caltroit_red_flames. Edit Reason: Added Dermot to my list of a good BUF bois )

This kind of misses the point of the whole "Buffalo is toxic" thing. Nobody doubts that your locker room is great, but I didn't even have to go to a different page to find an example of a Buffalo member being rude to someone else (http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.p...pid2525759).

Personally, I think you shouldn't worry about what others think. You have a good team in Buffalo, and you have what is clearly based on what you wrote a very tight knit locker room full of people that care about each other. If you draft someone and they're skeptical at first I'd be surprised if the locker room is like how you say it is and they don't come around within a season of their draft. But if you want to change the leagues' perception of Buffalo, the forum arguments and stuff needs to stop. With all of the Buffalo flair and stuff you guys have in your sigs it just reflects poorly on the team. And I know for a fact that there are some good people in Buffalo (you, @Chris-McZehrl, @JSS, @White Cornerback , etc. ) so it's a shame that the team has garnered the reputation it has.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2018, 12:19 PM by Chris-McZehrl.)

11-19-2018, 11:40 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: This kind of misses the point of the whole "Buffalo is toxic" thing. Nobody doubts that your locker room is great, but I didn't even have to go to a different page to find an example of a Buffalo member being rude to someone else (http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.p...pid2525759).

Personally, I think you shouldn't worry about what others think. You have a good team in Buffalo, and you have what is clearly based on what you wrote a very tight knit locker room full of people that care about each other. If you draft someone and they're skeptical at first I'd  be surprised if the locker room is like how you say it is and they don't come around within a season of their draft. But if you want to change the leagues' perception of Buffalo, the forum arguments and stuff needs to stop. With all of the Buffalo flair and stuff you guys have in your sigs it just reflects poorly on the team. And I know for a fact that there are some good people in Buffalo (you, @Chris-McZehrl, @JSS, @White Cornerback , etc. ) so it's a shame that the team has garnered the reputation it has.

I believe its the first time that someone named me in a group with others .... "good people" .... [Image: lickit.gif]

Challenge Cup Wins:

Four Star Cup Wins:

11-19-2018, 11:40 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: This kind of misses the point of the whole "Buffalo is toxic" thing. Nobody doubts that your locker room is great, but I didn't even have to go to a different page to find an example of a Buffalo member being rude to someone else (http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.p...pid2525759).

Personally, I think you shouldn't worry about what others think. You have a good team in Buffalo, and you have what is clearly based on what you wrote a very tight knit locker room full of people that care about each other. If you draft someone and they're skeptical at first I'd  be surprised if the locker room is like how you say it is and they don't come around within a season of their draft. But if you want to change the leagues' perception of Buffalo, the forum arguments and stuff needs to stop. With all of the Buffalo flair and stuff you guys have in your sigs it just reflects poorly on the team. And I know for a fact that there are some good people in Buffalo (you, @Chris-McZehrl, @JSS, @White Cornerback , etc. ) so it's a shame that the team has garnered the reputation it has.

You're right, this is no means a way to absolve Buffalo of our trolly shit talking, it is instead a way to answer a common question I get asked, why I tolerate their actions. Considering I am somewhat of a virtue signalling, political correct, snowflake.. or so I have been told, it may seem hypocritical of me to be so defensive of these guys, but I hope you can see why.

11-19-2018, 12:19 PMChris-McZehrl Wrote:

I believe its the first time that someone named me in a group with others .... "good people" .... [Image: lickit.gif]

I am extremely uncomfortable with that emoji.

Still, I want to say that when we were in St. Louis together you told me about how you used to be known as an asshole around the site and that you wanted to change your persona. I haven't seen you do or say anything that makes me think you didn't mean that. Sure there's the odd thing like that gif you posted... But you've been a good guy in and out of the locker room as far as I'm concerned.

[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]

11-19-2018, 12:31 PMkarey Wrote:

You're right, this is no means a way to absolve Buffalo of our trolly shit talking, it is instead a way to answer a common question I get asked, why I tolerate their actions. Considering I am somewhat of a virtue signalling, political correct, snowflake.. or so I have been told, it may seem hypocritical of me to be so defensive of these guys, but I hope you can see why.

That makes sense then. Don't worry about the people who call you those things btw, at this point I don't even see them as insults anymore because they're targeted at people who I admire.