Create Account

PART 2: The Mock Expansion Draft a Season Away - SHL Talk Media
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 09:24 PM by sash.)

***In the previous article I had missed the following rule when considering what the draft would look like
If a team elects to expose an FA and that player is drafted by an expansion team, that player will be unable to return to the team that exposed them for one season. The expansion team will hold RFA rights to that player for one season. If the rights to this player are traded by the expansion team, they lose their temporary RFA status.

Part 2 will have this in consideration

THE DRAFT

Rules:
14 Rounds, 2 Picks Per Round (One per expansion team).
Each team will lose two players only in the draft.

Round 1:
Team #1: (S31) RW - Joe Kurczewski TPE: 1,906 (EDM)
Team #2: (S42) D - Harvey Danger TPE: 716 (TEX)

Team #1 picks up likely their next general manager, Joe Kurczweski from Edmonton. Joe is an elite forward, however currently in regression. Despite this, his incredible TPE number will only mean he’ll be a key player for this expansion team for a long time.
Team #2 gets a building block to their future, and likely a future top 2 defenseman. Harvey Danger from Texas would likely grow to an elite defenseman and the cornerstone of the second teams future defensive core. Stud pickup for sure.

Round 2:
Team #1: (S43) Goalie - Aleister Cain TPE: 598 (EDM)
Team #2: (S38) RW - Joshua Woodcroft TPE: 956 (LAP)

Team #1 will come and grab a future starting goaltender left exposed by the Edmonton Blizzard. Aleister Cain has been one of the most active young goaltenders since being drafted. His activity levels both in the locker room and in gaining TPE, aswell as the key position he serves as goaltender along with his young age, he’s a player that an expansion team would love to bring in as a key building block.
Joshua Woodcroft is an active forward who hasn’t yet reached his prime, but is getting there. Woodcroft is under contract and will be one of the stars of the second expansion team for a long time to come. The Panthers will definitely try stopping this from happening.

Round 3:
Team #1: (S43) Center - Steven Moyer TPE: 511 (SFP)
Team #2: (S43) LW - Gvidas Kazlauskas TPE: 633 (LAP)

Steven Moyer is an active and solid TPE earning center from the San Francisco Pride’s prospect pool, and is one of the better young forwards left off protected list. Moyer will be a center Team #1 will hope and look to grow into a good young future piece to their future center core.
Team #2 picks up Gvidas Kazlauskas, one of the Panthers elite young prospects. Kazlauskas has had one of the best TPE rates in his draft class. A concern the team may have is with the users previous players never really being great, however with the growth Kazlauskas is at, it’s a somewhat risky pick but one that looks to be a piece the Panthers will regret protecting.

Round #4:
Team #1: (S43) D - Sean Stevenson Jr. TPE: 471 (SFP)
Team #2:  (S42) LW - Cameron Carter II TPE : 699 (MAN)

Another OK prospect is picked up by the first expansion team, however one of the better prospects once again not on the Pride’s expansion list. Sean Stevenson Jr. with his solid growth will hopefully pan out to be one of the first expansion teams core top 6 defenseman in the future.
Team #2 goes with a somewhat risky pick with Cameron Carter II once again. Carter II has been a good earner of the S42 draft class, however his agent Boomcheck is someone known to go out and play for money, though the second expansion team will definitely have the funds to invest in the promising winger.

Round #5:
Team #1: (S35) D - Finn Krüger TPE: 1523 (TOR)
Team #2: (S32) D - Max Weber TPE: 1,435 (WPG)

Arguably the best pending free agent comes off the board and heads to expansion team #1 in Finn Kruger. Kruger is just entering regression, and has made a name of himself as both a respected member of the SHL head office, and a great locker room presence. Should the two find a contract and likely trade off to a contender, Kruger is surely to return some great value for Team #1.
The fifth pick for Team #2 would be probably the best inactive player unprotected in Max Weber, one of the Jets best defenseman. Despite being in regression, Max Weber’s 1.4K TPE makes him an incredible attractive piece for many teams, and is something contending teams would be willing to pay up to add him to the team. Regardless of this if Weber was kept around by Team #2, he would be the teams number 1 guy for at least 3 seasons.

Round #6:
Team #1: (S34) LW - Dani Forsberg TPE: 1,567 (WKP)
Team #2: (S31) D - Ludwig Koch Schröder TPE: 1668 (WKP)

Both players picked in round 6 are in a very similar situation to Finn Kruger. Dani Forsberg has an insane amount of TPE, 1.5k and is barely into regression, holding a boat load of value for any team interested.
Ludwig Koch Schroder has also been around the trade market plenty in the past few seasons and is also a pending free agent, and at 1.6k TPE, most teams in the league for express great interest in trading for this stud defenseman.

Round #7:
Team #1: (S32) LW - Luke Atmey TPE: 1,541 (BUF)
Team #2: (S31) D - Alexis Metzler TPE: 1,561 (BUF)

It’s almost like round 6 except just a tad bit older, Luke Atmey being a very loyal and extremely high TPE winger who is about to his free agency, would be able to return great value from most teams interested.
Alexis Metzler, Buffalo’s prized possession, holds almost identical value to LKS, however with his extreme dedication to Buffalo in mind, it’s likely he tries to return to the team he’s made a name for himself in the near future.

Round #8:
Team #1: (S36) D - Clint Eastwood TPE: 1205 (MAN)
Team #2: (S36) D - Karl Hefeweizen TPE: 1178 (WPG)

Team #1 and Team #2 pick up almost identical inactive defenseman in Clint Eastwood and Karl Hefeweizen, both being nearly 1.2k TPE and both a season away from regression, and both being valuable defenseman contending teams would absolutely look into. The only difference is that Eastwood is someone despite being inactive in terms of updating is someone who would be around the locker room often.
Also Imma remind you that the Rage basically traded a reddit 2nd and a future first for Eastwood.

Round #9
Team #1: (S33) RW - Halfdan Thorstein TPE: 1239 (TOR)
Team #2: (S31) RW - Vasily Horvat TPE: 1076 (TEX)

Vasily Horvat, the veteran Renegades checking forward, is picked up by team #1. It may be an odd choice at this time, however Horvat’s locker room presence and his player itself are quite good, and something a new expansion team would appreciate having.
Halfdan Thorstein, the second Toronto player picked up, however is a high reward player for Team #2 to pickup, with a good amount of value to contending teams, as Thorstein is currently part way into regression and sitting at 1.2k TPE, a top 6 forward on most-every team. It wouldn’t be difficult for Team #2 to find some future assets for Thorstein.

Round #10
Team #1: (S31) D - Adam Kaiser TPE: 1,147 (CGY)
Team #2: (S36) RW - Colton Hagan TPE: 1022 (NEW)

Team #1 picks up one of the older unprotected defenseman in the expansion in Adam Kaiser, also an inactive defenseman for that matter, much like Karl Hefeweizen. Team #2 would likely return some decent value for Adam Kaiser.
Much like Karl Hefeweizen, Colton Hagan is an inactive forward a season from regression and barely over 1k TPE. It’s possible the first expansion team finds some future value for Colton Hagan.

Round #11:
Team #1: (S34) C - Xander Green TPE: 1,080 (NEW)
Team #2: (S35) LW - Wolf Von Hammersmark TPE: 795 (CGY)

Xander Green, New England, and Wolf Von Hammermark, Calgary, are two inactive players, both forwards, both being in regression. Both are solid depth pieces for a contender to have, and for both expansion teams, two solid pieces part of their current core. The difference between the two however would be that Xander Green is more a top 6 forward for many teams, while Wolf Von Hammersmark isn’t more than a solid middle six forward

Round #12:
Team #1: (S30) D- Ben Dover TPE: 1276 (HAM)
Team #2: (S39) G - Julian O'Sullivan TPE: 641 (SEA)

Ben Dover likely hits retirement to protect other defenseman on the Steelhawks more valuable than Dover, resulting in Dover being an asset Team #2 keeps around for a season. He could return some future value however.
Team #2 still don’t have a goalie for next season, so they settle for the Riot’s backup Julian O’Sullivan, a 641 TPE inactive goaltender, who still has multiple seasons till regression, making her a useful goaltender for the expansion team to keep around for multiple seasons.

Round #13:
Team #1: (S42) RW - Ēriks Skalbergs TPE: 610 (HAM)
Team #2: (S40) RW - Kire Yelkrab TPE: 560 (MIN)
In the second last round of the draft is both teams picking up two young and serviceable inactive forwards in Ēriks Skalbergs and Kire Yekrab from Hamilton and Minnesota. Both forwards hover around 600 TPE, making both serviceable inactive third liners for many teams for many seasons.

Round #14
Team #1: (S37) LW - Blåbär Bananerström TPE: 667 (MIN)
Team #2: (S38) D - Svatoslav Bodnar TPE: 655 (SEA)

Expansion team #1 grabs Svatoslav Bodnar from Seattle, a defensive inactive defenseman with 655 TPE, who still has multiple seasons from regression. Once again a solid bottom pair inactive defenseman for the expansion team to have.
Much like Bodnar, Blabar Bananerström is at 667 TPE, and still multiple seasons away from regression. Bananerstrom would be a good middle six forward for Team #2 to pickup from Toronto.

FINAL RESULTS

TEAM #1
C - LW - RW
Steven Moyer TPE: 511 - Joe Kurczewski TPE: 1,906 - Dani Forsberg TPE: 1,567
Xander Green TPE: 1,080 - Luke Atmey TPE: 1,541 - Halfdan Thorstein TPE: 1239
FA - Ēriks Skalbergs TPE: 610 - Blåbär Bananerström TPE: 667
FA - FA - FA

D - D
Finn Krüger TPE: 1523 - Clint Eastwood TPE: 1205
Adam Kaiser TPE: 1,147
- Ben Dover TPE: 1276
FA - Sean Stevenson Jr. TPE: 471

G
Aleister Cain TPE: 598
FA

TEAM #2
C - LW - RW
FA -Colton Hagan TPE: 1022 - Vasily Horvat TPE: 1076
FA - Joshua Woodcroft TPE: 956 - Gvidas Kazlauskas TPE: 633
FA - Cameron Carter II TPE : 699 - Wolf Von Hammersmark TPE: 795
FA - Kire Yelkrab TPE: 560 - FA

D - D
Max Weber TPE: 1,435 - Ludwig Koch Schröder TPE: 1668
Alexis Metzler TPE: 1,561
- Karl Hefeweizen TPE: 1178
Harvey Danger TPE: 716 - FA

G
Julian O'Sullivan TPE: 641
FA

Thoughts: WEW these teams are kinda stacked don’t you think? Well it’s likely a lot of these picked up free agents will be somewhat upset about landing on an expansion team, so it’s more than likely most of these players are shipped.

Biggest Losers
Manhattan Rage
I said it once, I’ll say it again. They traded two OK prospects, along with a reddit 2nd which will likely be a very good one, along with a future first to Seattle for Clint Eastwood. Eastwood is the fourth best defenseman for the Rage considering their path, he’s the oldest and isn’t active, so they’ll have to give him up in the expansion or move him. What a waste of those picks.

Los Angeles Panthers
They let go of two young good wingers in Gvidas Kazlauskas and Joshua Woodcroft, one having a very high ceiling and the other one already being a solid top 6 winger, and in their place they need to protect a meh Geoff Higgins, and a very old Maximillian Watcher. There will be much regret going around the Panthers management team talking about these no move clauses, if it pans out anything like this.

I think it’s almost certain that much changes before the expansion draft, with the number of exposed players out there, and with teams like the Seattle Riot and Minnesota Chiefs not really using their protection slots for much of value, hell even the Dragons forward core, it’s certain that moves go around for teams at risk of losing good value players for nothing to try making deals for at least some value, and then there will be the deals with the expansion teams themselves, requiring teams to move picks and future to stop the expansion teams from claiming a certain player.

Smart move by Texas management to let me go for free. Nothing but a locker room nuisance.

Also this took a lot of work, so kudos for that.

12-28-2018, 09:26 PMhockeyfan Wrote: Smart move by Texas management to let me go for free. Nothing but a locker room nuisance.

this probably wont be much like what the actual thing is, theres definitely going to be trades going on and such to prevent more value loss for alot of these teams. doubt texas would wanna let go of you for nothing

12-28-2018, 09:36 PMSamee Wrote:
12-28-2018, 09:26 PMhockeyfan Wrote: Smart move by Texas management to let me go for free. Nothing but a locker room nuisance.

this probably wont be much like what the actual thing is, theres definitely going to be trades going on and such to prevent more value loss for alot of these teams. doubt texas would wanna let go of you for nothing

Texas already has an expansion draft plan, so I’m not worried much. I’d be more worried for noted big jerk @Dangles13, he’s going to be so surprised.

Some of those guys are free agents next year, so they can’t get picked in the draft.

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

12-29-2018, 02:12 AMJKortesi81 Wrote: Some of those guys are free agents next year, so they can’t get picked in the draft.

Really JOe? You are in HO :D

"If a team elects to expose an FA and that player is drafted by an expansion team, that player will be unable to return to the team that exposed them for one season. The expansion team will hold RFA rights to that player for one season. If the rights to this player are traded by the expansion team, they lose their temporary RFA status."

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

Joe just lost his expansion team rip

F for joe

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

12-29-2018, 02:12 AMJKortesi81 Wrote: Some of those guys are free agents next year, so they can’t get picked in the draft.

i literally made a part 2 with these FAs because I also didn't read the FA rule jfc
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2018, 08:29 AM by dankoa.)

For real samee I think this is a great idea for media and not a bad assumption based off the info available of what might happen, keep it up man

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

12-29-2018, 03:48 AMTomen Wrote:

Really JOe? You are in HO :D

"If a team elects to expose an FA and that player is drafted by an expansion team, that player will be unable to return to the team that exposed them for one season. The expansion team will hold RFA rights to that player for one season. If the rights to this player are traded by the expansion team, they lose their temporary RFA status."

Eh, in HO chat i thought that was referring to a player who’d be an FA after S46 running back to their team. I always kind of assumed FAs would be FAs. Why would a team be allowed to protect someone they don’t have under contract?

Kind of think players who wanted to test FA would be pissed by this, and would an expansion team want to draft a player that’s just going to not sign and leave?

But whatever, my misunderstanding /shrug

Update Page
Player Page

no expansion franchise for Joe now

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Are projected SHL expansion teams better than Vegas? Samee’s next column.

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

12-29-2018, 10:28 AMJKortesi81 Wrote:
12-29-2018, 03:48 AMTomen Wrote: Really JOe? You are in HO :D

Eh, in HO chat i thought that was referring to a player who’d be an FA after S46 running back to their team. I always kind of assumed FAs would be FAs. Why would a team be allowed to protect someone they don’t have under contract?

Kind of think players who wanted to test FA would be pissed by this, and would an expansion team want to draft a player that’s just going to not sign and leave?

But whatever, my misunderstanding /shrug
i did find it kinda dumb too

but if a player did sign a short deal with intentions to leave, the team would find easy value in a sign and trade. and also looking at the lists the Rfa rights for these top players are alot better then some of the inactive players on the table

12-29-2018, 10:39 AMWannabeFinn Wrote: no expansion franchise for Joe now

I probably wasn't getting one anyway.

But making mistakes is a staple of being a GM as it is, so maybe i'm even MORE qualified Smile

Update Page
Player Page

12-29-2018, 03:22 PMJKortesi81 Wrote:
12-29-2018, 10:39 AMWannabeFinn Wrote: no expansion franchise for Joe now

I probably wasn't getting one anyway.

But making mistakes is a staple of being a GM as it is, so maybe i'm even MORE qualified Smile

if thats the case im the gm of both teams