Create Account

Weekend Funtime: The GOAT List
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2019, 03:12 PM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

[Image: uygUoCa.png]

-Alonzo Garbanzo's 1738 blocks (438 more then 2nd place)
-Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)
-ToeDragons 2285 TPE (most TPE in league history)
-Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43)
-Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons.
-Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards.
-Thadeus Prince has a 29-4-1 lifetime SHL record in net.
-Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers.

The above is an updated list of some of the greatest accolades in SHL history!  Each on their own are sensational achievements worthy of great recognition. But which are the best?

Task: Take these 8 achievements above and put them in order from best to worst! and then in 25 words or more explain your reasoning why.

Code:
The GOAT list

Explanation:

Note: Complete copypasta will not be graded.

Every participant who meets the criteria will receive ONE CAPPED TPE, while 5 members will be chosen as discussion leaders and will receive an additional ONE UNCAPPED TPE.. Deadline: Sunday, 10 PM EDT

THIS PT IS FOR SHL PLAYERS AND SEND DOWNS. IT IS NOT FOR SMJHL ROOKIES.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

The GOAT list

1. Thadeus Prince has a 29-4-1 lifetime SHL record in net.
2. Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43)
3. Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)
4. ToeDragons 2285 TPE (most TPE in league history)
5. Alonzo Garbanzo's 1738 blocks (438 more then 2nd place)
6. Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards.
7. Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons.
8. Leafs4Ever's 30 seasons as the GM of Winnipeg.

Explanation: I think Prince's record is just incredible. It is something that has never happened before and he deserves the recognition he earned. Kelowna 3 straight 4 star cup victories is just as amazing to.

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page

-Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers. (I guess you could say he was Wasty-ing his time away in LA)

I think putting ToeDragon at the top is pretty easy for me. That's something that takes consistent and constant updating for seasons on end and really reflects that there wasn't a burnout in there. Garbanzo's achievement is also incredibly impressive due to the amount he's ahead of second place. Beating your competition is one thing, but being that far ahead is amazing.

Battleborn  Finland     [Image: QwTZD8C.png]   [Image: uJXrVDL.png]  [Image: iemKOIk.png]     Finland  Battleborn

[Image: ecaJZ6D.jpg]
[Image: flowseidon.gif]
[Image: PRedauw.png]

1. Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)
3. Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons.
4. Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers.
6. ToeDragons 2285 TPE (most TPE in league history)
7. Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards.
8. Thadeus Prince has a 29-4-1 lifetime SHL record in net.

I ranked things that required the most luck first. I use the term luck very loosely, and base it off the phrase "You gotta be lucky to be good". IIHF is such a small sample size, that going 3 gold medals in a row is like "wtf". Same with the SMJHL so Kelowna winning that many times is also a "wtf". And then Calgary makign the playoffs 20/21 times is also "wtf". Wasty being GM for 31 seasons is a "wtf" in a different sense because I know being a GM is tiring and doing it for that long is crazy. ArGar's blocked shots is great, but he's enjoyed a long career. ToeDragon, ditto about ArGar, long career but impressive racking up of TPE. GCool just had to be a bum and go to the box a lot. Also, meh about Prince.

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

Algonquin College Student Support Services - 613-727-4723
Crisis Text Line - Text 'HOME' to 741741
Distress Centre Ottawa and Region - 613-288-3311
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Kid's Help Phone - 1-800-668-6868
Mental Health Hotline Ontario - 1-866-531-2600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Click here for a list of crisis centres within Canada
Suicide Prevention Resource Centre
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

If you have the contact info to your local mental help centres, let me know!

--------------------
[Image: 34987_s.gif]
Player Page | Updates

[Image: 8y3FJne.jpg][Image: kA0CbGn.png][Image: aGT9Qsn.png]

1. Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers.
2. ToeDragons 2285 TPE (most TPE in league history)
4. Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43)
5. Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards.
6. Alonzo Garbanzo's 1738 blocks (438 more then 2nd place)
7. Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)

Thirty-one seasons is a long ass time to GM a team. GMing is a fairly big commitment and if you want a decent team it takes up a fair amount of your time, so I put Wasty at number one because damn. Same reasoning behind putting ToeDragon's TPE record at number 2. That takes dedication to your player. Calgary at number 3 because Dragons. Kelowna at 4 because that's pretty impressive, especially for a juniors team given the amount of turnover they have to deal with every season. 5 and 6 could have been a tie, imo. Don't care that much about IIHF unless it's my team, so. Whatever.

[Image: 45029_v.gif]

Sigs by: King, Tweedledunn, Me
Player Page|Twitter|Update Page

02-01-2019, 03:27 PMr1c3bowl22 Wrote: GCool just had to be a bum and go to the box a lot.

RUDE

The GOAT list

1. Alonzo Garbanzo's 1738 blocks (438 more then 2nd place)
2. Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons.
3. Wasty 31 Seasons as GM of the Panthers.
5. Thadeus Prince has a 29-4-1 lifetime SHL record in net.
6. Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards.
7.  Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43)
8. Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)

Explanation:  Garbanzo's blocks are insane...you could probably add his assist totals on this list as a separate item, but he's nearly 200 more assists than the #2 on the list. Just amazing statistics from clearly the greatest dman ever.

[Image: mstuk41.gif]
[Image: 35884_s.gif]

[Image: jcjcF7J.png][Image: nHs4nH0.png]

3. ToeDragons 2285 TPE (most TPE in league history)
6. Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons.

biased a little, but come on. We all know how much STHS varies results. Even a the top loaded team rarely ever wins it all. So for Ireland to do that in a competition where all the talents are stacked at the top, 3 seasons straight is impressive. Similar to Kelowna, but i don't know a lot about how that works on the inside.

Toe's determination is pretty incredible, and so is Wasty. I thought I'd be GM forever, but after a certain point it just started to fade for me.

Alonzo's is pretty interesting just because that really means he's been the best defender on a (usually) subpar team. blocks usually go more towards teams at the bottom.

Calgary's doesn't suprise me too much. they seem to always pick up franchise players every few drafts (esa, baller, joe, etc.)

gcool's turd thing is cool, but what's really cool is how quickly he pim'd in the half career he had. He would have easily taken the total pim's record if he just stayed a few more seasons.

Prince is probably playing backup games against non playoff teams while being on a great team.

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

The GOAT list

1. Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards
2. Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons
3. Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)
4. Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers
7. Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43)
8. Thadeus Prince has a 29-4-1 lifetime SHL record in net

Explanation:
1- Incredible consistency to be a goon for so long. #RenameTheFerguson
2- Again that is incredible consistency for this league. Teams struggle to make it 4-5 seasons in a row
3- IIHF can be extremely random compared to the expected results so Ireland's recent dominance has been really impressive
4- Sticking with GMing for so long is really impressive considering the grind, though with no owners for GMs to answer to, it essentially becomes a game of how long can you last
5- Impressive, but its also kinda a counting stat which grew comparatively to the number of seasons he played
6- While impressive, it was during a time with more TPE available to players to earn. Now you'd need to bring in new members every season and have many hit the required milestones for TPE
7- Again impressive, but in context they through away draft picks for inactives to chase a legacy that imo isn't worth it in juniors since it defeats the purpose of the J
8- The sample size is small

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

1 -Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons.
2 -Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)
3 -Alonzo Garbanzo's 1738 blocks (438 more then 2nd place)
4 -ToeDragons 2285 TPE (most TPE in league history)
5 -Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43)
6 -Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards.
7 -Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers.
8 -Thadeus Prince has a 29-4-1 lifetime SHL record in net.

Calgary at the top for the obvious reason, 20/21 is incredible. Ireland on its route to most dominant team of the decade already. Garbanzo went for a long time, he should've went even longer imo. Grats to TD, Idk anything about the user other than weird gifs he posts. Kelowna's is kind of soured about how they won the 3.... but didn't pay their players for any of the three seasons, clouds above. Foster got the straight goon award like a champ. Idk about Wasty but hes been round for a while. Grats to prince, an incredible 34 whole games in the SHL played!!!

-Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers.

I mean it's hard to put these in an order, you're bound to disrespect someone... but Wasty takes the cake for me. It's so difficult to remain a GM for that long without losing interest or getting fired. Truly the best accomplishment of the bunch.

Code:
Words: 45

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

1. Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43)
2. ToeDragons 2285 TPE (most TPE in league history)
6. Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)

Explanation: I was a capped 350 player for all three of the Kelowna cups and they have a special place in my heart so they are first for me. Winning three straight cups took so much hard work and great choices from Nour. There is so much turnover in the SMHJL and I really believe that mastering line combos is really important. Toe is Jesus of this place to me and I think he is just inspirational and hilarious.

[Image: dVy6XWn.jpg]
[Image: 9POiosr.png]
First SHL goal on first SHL shot in first SHL game.

The GOAT list

1. Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers.
2. Thadeus Prince has a 29-4-1 lifetime SHL record in net.
3. Alonzo Garbanzo's 1738 blocks (438 more then 2nd place)
5. Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards.
6. Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons.
7. Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43)
8. Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)

Explanation:

These are all amazing feats. The standout to me though is Wasty's 31 seasons as a gm. So much work goes into GMing and doing that for a total of 31 season is absolutely mental. 2-8 on that list you can twist and turn any way you want and would agree with you, but 1 has to be wasty 100% of the time.

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart

The GOAT list

1. Thadeus Prince has a 29-4-1 lifetime SHL record in net.
2. Alonzo Garbanzo's 1738 blocks (438 more then 2nd place)
3. ToeDragons 2285 TPE (most TPE in league history)
4. Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards.
5. Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers.
6. Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)
7. Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons.
8. Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43)

Explanation:  I prefer the individual accomplishments here.  29-4-1 is just nuts, so that has to be top, then following with Alonzo's blocks since I'm a career defensive defenseman.  Toe is also a phenom.  Rocking the TPE here of course, but as a prospect for the Jets he has been really encouraging, cheering me on when I hit milestones.

Kelowna at the far bottom because we just swept them out of the Playoffs in the 2nd round.  Cheers

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

I based my list on the difficulty I felt it was to do each (with some luck of course thanks to simon). I would have honestly put kelowna in first, but I felt the luck required for the IIHF one was just enough to edge it, especially due to being familiar with the roster turnover in the SMJHL and how competitive you can stay without too much difficulty. Calgarys is a bit harder to rank for me since I dont know how difficult it really is, but it did seem more impressive than the rest to honest. Wasty being a GM that long isnt really impressive as a feat since nothing will take him out but himself but is very impressive in terms of his character and speaks a lot about him. The rest were all kind of similar to me since it's really either a lot of luck or dedication and none of them really involved as much input or thinking as some of the others did. All still impressive, but maybe just not on the same level that I value teams or gm performance over consistent periods of time.