Create Account

Are PWFs a dying breed?
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2019, 07:53 PM by Slowpoke.)

“In ice hockey, power forward (PWF) is a loosely applied characterization of a forward who is big and strong, equally capable of playing physically or scoring goals and would most likely have high totals in both points and penalties. It is usually used in reference to a forward who is physically large, with the toughness to dig the puck out of the corners, possesses offensive instincts, has mobility, puck-handling skills, may be difficult to knock off the puck or to push away from the front of the goal.”

This is the opening line to the Wikipedia article on Power Forwards (PWF). What it means to the SHL is slightly different. It is my opinion that the PWF is a dying breed in the “modern” SHL. Why? I think to some extent that this is the community experimenting over time to find what works best in regard to netting a higher point total to a lower penalty total. Another belief of mine is that most of the league believes that the checking stat is useless as it does nothing but cause penalties. I have attempted to disprove this theory in the past, but that is not the topic of this article. The point of this article was for me to take a look at the role of the PWF and determine if it is indeed a dying breed.

So, I will open with an image of data.

[Image: 2yMY24A.png]

What I have done here is compile the total number of hits, shots, shot avg. hit avg., avg. shots and hits per game. After that I dug a little deeper. I added total hits by the top 10 in hits for each season, their average, and percent of total hits done by a top 10 player, and the number of players above 200 hits. After that I added total roster spots across the entire league (I know that the inactive players will mess with the stats a bit, but I wasnt going to do the work to sort that out), shot and hit averages per player per season. I also provided the average of all the data at the bottom for everything except roster spots.

Now working left to right the first thing that jumps out is that shots are higher between S38-S45 than average. They are a bit scattered so I cannot say that they are trending upward, but as the league perfects the build meta I would say that if we were to project the data, I believe we would find that the data would show that shot totals will be going up. Another thing that surprised me was that except for S45, over the same time period, hits have also been above average. My first thought was that this immediately shuts down my thought process as how can the PWF be dying off if hits are high relative to average? This is where I started to dig a little deeper.

I think to the casual eye its easy to see a trend of almost all statistics being higher than average between the S38-S45 time frame with only one jumping out. That being that the top 10 hitters are playing a smaller part in the total number of hits league wide less than ever. So, what does this mean?

I believe that this does give some credence to the theory that the PWF is a dying build, but that the sim engine itself will auto correct to have a certain number of hits during a season, but that the players, and how they are build, will determine how they are distributed. Right now, we are seeing a decrease in the number of high hit individuals, but at the same time an increase across the board of average hits and shots. For example, if the sim determines that there will be 10000 hits a season, and there are no PWFs to absorb those events, that they will be distributed to those that may not normal hit in the presence of a PWF, I hope that makes sense? If it does, does that mean that having more PWFs in the league will actually decrease total hits, and shots?

Unfortunately, the sim files for before S28 are lost (I know they exist, but I am antisocial and don’t want to hunt them down by talking to people), and that I could pull in data from the early days of the league as well. I chose not to do this because I wanted to focus on the current league because most veterans seem to agree that the acceptable, or chosen builds are all becoming the same and that there is a lack of diversity amongst players. There will always be exception like Zach Evans, but I would argue that in his heyday his hits were less about his desired build and more about just needing somewhere to put TPE. I will be waiting for Zach to tell me otherwise so I can eat a shoe.

With this said, if my thoughts are correct that the sim does have a predetermined amount of hits, then is it safe to say that the amount of non-fighting penalties is also predetermined? At this point I will leave that to discussion and possible future media, but I think that I would venture to say it is so. Without a determined player, a PWF or enforcer type, then those hits and penalties will be distributed to players who may be designated as a sniper or playmaker. If this point can be argued and research done, it may provide credence that the PWF has an important role in the league, even if it is to do nothing more than absorb the hit and penalty events to keep the stars on the ice.

Code:
Word Count: 961 Plus 295 in data entry. Total: 1256

[Image: horvat3.png]

PWF archetype is dog shit when you can utilize a two-way archetype and get the physicality while being a better scorer and defender

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

02-18-2019, 07:53 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: PWF archetype is dog shit when you can utilize a two-way archetype and get the physicality while being a better scorer and defender

Exactly this, literally no reason to choose power forward archetype

[Image: cooldudeam1234.gif]
(Sig Credit: toedragon84)

02-18-2019, 07:55 PMGood_Ole_Kimmy Wrote:
02-18-2019, 07:53 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: PWF archetype is dog shit when you can utilize a two-way archetype and get the physicality while being a better scorer and defender

Exactly this, literally no reason to choose power forward archetype

Monka

All-time New England Wolfpack scorer
[Image: Derisraka.png]
[Image: 38718_s.png]
[Image: rW2c4Vz.png][Image: B4x6AQm.png]
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Sad :(

I should have done a better job at explaining That this isnt about archetypes, and more about checking in general.

The Vasily Horvats, Jonathan Lundbergs and Slappy McDoodles of this world are a dying breed indeed. The league increasingly buys into a group think mentality and cookie cutter, wimpy builds. Players with guts are getting thin out on the ice.

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

I'll save the Power Forward reputation! Just watch me go in the next few seasons!

Character Page RD- Quarterback
[Image: micool132.gif]

Retired players:
-Toki Wartooth
-Nathan Explosion btw
-Angus McFife XVIII

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

02-18-2019, 11:19 PMmicool132 Wrote: I'll save the Power Forward reputation! Just watch me go in the next few seasons!

I hope you are right, we need to keep them alive!