Create Account

The AAA Column.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2019, 10:01 AM by YVOVD.)

By Scott Ryan

As the Midget AAA League season draws to a close, I have been busy talking to five recruiters of SMJHL teams working in Ontario and four of them are unanimous: North Central Predators' Jean-Francois Mayer will be the first hopeful from the Eastern AAA Hockey League.

Only one of the recruiters surveyed still gives his vote to Cam Smith's Clarington Toros, however, adding that Mayer is not far behind. In the opinion of the hockey men surveyed, Ken Fruhner, of the Ajax Raiders, should be the third skater of the selected Eastern AAA Hockey League.

Mayer had a phenomenal season with the Predators. In 63 games so far this year, he has scored 38 goals and 49 assists for 87 points, putting him 5th in the scoring column. Among the players eligible for next season SMJHL draft in the Eastern AAA Hockey League, he is ahead of Nathan Desborough - of the Kingston Fontrenacs - by one point and the considered by most observers to be a solid pick for the 48th season of the SMJHL.

Mayer is an intense player, he shows up at every game and his consistency makes him the favorite of recruiters assigned to the Eastern AAA Hockey League. A talented Ontario evaluator even dared to draw a parallel between Mayer and DeMaricus Smyth from the New Orleans Specters, adding that the Predators forward has a better skate.

"I like his temper, his competitive side and his smirky smile that makes me think of DeMaricus Smyth," he added.

It must be remembered that DeMaricus Smyth is having a 27 goal season with the Specters who was a first round choice. Altough Mayer is 5 feet 9 inches, he is not afraid to go into heavy trafic like Smyth.

Mayer has had at least one point in 47 of his 63 games this season, and he has never been three games in a row without blackening the score sheet. Most recruiters say that he can become a first-round midfielder if he keeps up the pace.

It should be noted that last January, on the first record of the SMJHL Central Recruitment, Mayer was ranked 13th among the hopes evolving in North America. The first player on this list was Dale Milot, now ranked 17th. Milot missed the selection eligibility last year by only 10 days. Milot is a 6-foot-4 colossus who participated in the final selection camp of Team Canada Junior and has a good season, but some recruiters surveyed do not hesitate to question his will, his consistency and his desire to win, three elements for which they have no doubt when it comes to Mayer.

Certainly, Mayer will have a chance to impress the SMJHL's recruiters until the end of May as he aligns with the Predators, who receive the Telus Cup tournament in Orillia. In the off chance that his team fail to qualify for the cup, Mayer could become available to represent Canada at the World Under-18 Championship. Over the years, many players have gained points and important places in the SMJHL selection sessions at this tournament. Just last year, Finland's Olli Heiskanen climbed the standings by finishing the competition with a gold medal and 9 points in 7 games.

Sources say that Mayer could also be moved to a SMJHL team before the end of the season as teams will be looking to solidify their offensive lines for the playoffs. This could give him even more visibility and move him up the rankings of next season draft.

The 50th season of the Eastern AAA Hockey League will conclude on Saturday before making way for the big dance of the playoffs.

Code:
First post. 624 words

@Blastmeaway out here with 2 accounts.

Great read!

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, Ragnarr, and sulo for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

05-13-2019, 01:33 PMesilverm Wrote: @Blastmeaway out here with 2 accounts.

Great read!

Shit they're on to me

Shout out to ml002, schultzy, slashacm, tedward!
[Image: blastmeaway.gif]

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.
[Image: Capture21.PNG?width=400&height=90]

Nice article!

[Image: shlpris41.gif]
sig credits
[Image: FJ4Sjuj.png] |[Image: apAE8qn.png] | [Image: uEsOaLl.png]
[Image: 2dtdoyf.png]
Former affiliates: raiders Jets Stars