Create Account

A Near 10 Season Retrospective on the S39 Draft Class
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2019, 03:01 PM by ml002.)

With S48 starting soon, we are entering into the 10th season for the players of the S39 Draft Class on the site, and it’s hard to ignore the impact that this class has had on the SHL since being drafted almost 10 seasons ago now. So my goal is to go over each pick and talk about how they have faired and what they have accomplished since entering the site.

Note: TPE’s are of 6/7/2019

Drafted by: Renegades FORFEIT Stats: N/A
Oh forfeit it’s been a while old friend. You made an appearance in the first round for the first time in a while this past draft. Remember folks, don’t tamper.

2. Stampede  D Fredrich Koenig @teztify  TPE: 942
Current Team: syndicate
Stats: 400 GP | 26 G | 142 A | 168 P | -23 | 0.42 PPG

Tez is one of the site’s finest users and it was a surprise to no one when he was the first player selected by Buffalo back in S39. While his player hasn’t been the best in the class, he’s still had a solid career so far and I don’t think Buffalo would complain about the LR presence he had there before being selected in the expansion draft.

3. Panthers D Karno Gronkjaer @Copenhagen  TPE: 552
Current Team: Renegades?
Stats: 350 GP | 9 G | 75 A | 84 P | -10 | 0.24 PPG

The first true bust in the class, and probably still stings to this day. Cope was seen as a guaranteed, no brainer pick in this class, but after going so high he never got close to living up to the 2nd player taken in this class when you see the players selected after him. Mostly spent his career as a third pairing plug and so much potential wasted as he went inactive early.

4. Blizzard D Brady McIntyre @caltroit_red_flames  TPE: 1851
Stats: 350 GP | 44 G | 186 A | 230 P | +83 | 0.66 PPG

And here’s a player that could have gone sooner, but here we are and the Blizz have their franchise Dman on lock for the foreseeable future. McIntyre is one of the league’s current best defenseman, having eclipsed a point per game last season with 51 in 50, and will be a perennial Stevens nominee for the next several seasons as he is at the peak of his powers. Individually he has managed the S43 Aidan Richan Trophy as well as winning the S45 Challenge Cup with the Blizz. He also managed to bring back the WJC, and has been apart of the Czech management team for many seasons now.

5. Platoon D Karsten Kadinger @Allegiant  TPE: 1025
Stats: 40 GP | 39 G | 128 A | 167 P | +37 | 0.42 PPG

He was a winger at the time of the draft, but converted to defense soon after so I will keep him that for this since for all practical purposes he’s been a defenseman for his whole career. While he might not be worth the 4th overall player selected, he has built a solid career so far with Toonza and has been part of their most successful period as a team since being drafted back in S39 as he has won three cups since joining them.

6. Stars W/C Mikhail Lokitonov @ml002  TPE: 1772
Stats: 350 GP | 117 G | 173 A | 290 P | -2 | 0.83 PPG

That’s a me. I like to think I’ve lived up to the pick up to this point. I’m never gonna be a Dar level defensive forward, but I scor gol and pas puk. Also I was the only forward selected in the first round in this draft so there’s a fun fact for everyone.

7. Stars D Bob Bergen @Nobody  TPE: 1608
Stats: 350 GP | 61 G | 176 A | 237 P | 2 | 0.68 PPG

When Symmetrik told me he was planning on taking me at 6, he asked me who I’d recommend to take with the next two picks. I gave him three names, and Bob Bergen was one of them. Bergen has been one of the most consistent defenseman since entering the league in S41, only having one sub 30 point season since entering the league, and is pretty much locked into the top pairing role now for the North Stars. He took over for Symm as Head GM of the North Stars and is also the commissioner of the SMJHL.

8. Stars D Richard Physt @CptSquall  TPE: 1268
Current Team: Specters
Stats: 350 GP | 26 G | 136 A | 162 P | +58 | 0.46 PPG

Here’s another name I gave to Symm to draft. Physt has grown into one of the league’s best defensive defenseman and probably too humble to admit it. Hard hitting, but still good on the puck, he’s made huge strides since being selected by the Specters in the expansion draft and hopefully he can add some real silverware next to his S41 Turd Ferguson. Squally has been the Co-GM for the Knights for a short time, and been the Co-Head of Austria for the past few seasons.

9. Wolfpack G Julian O’Sullivan @JuOSu  TPE: 640
Stats:  40 GP | 25 W | 12 L | 3 OTL | .912 SVP | 2.55 GAA

O’Sullivan is an example of why goalie’s are rarely seen in the first round both IRL and here in our sim league. They take time to develop and can bust leaving you needy (I am somewhat of an expert in this area). In the small sample size O’Sullivan has done alright, but never developed into the starting goalie many expected or New England had hoped.

10. Stars G Tommy Tuck @Muford  TPE: 1333
Current Team: Blizzard
Stats: 345 GP | 189 W | 133 L | 23 OTL | .906 SVP | 2.99 GAA

Here’s the example of how picking a goalie in the first can go well and disprove me. Tuck has been the one of the best goalies in the league over the last three seasons, setting save percentage records, winning numerous awards, and is probably due some more this awards season. With regression around the corner we’ll see how long he stays at the top but he has a great team in front of him to keep him in the discussion.

11. Chiefs D Jon Tellofson @Rancidbudgie  TPE: 537
Current Team: Retired
Stats: 300 GP | 11 G | 46 A | 57 P | +14 | 0.19 PPG

Minnesota has experience taking L’s even dating back to S39, and it gets worse when you see who gets picked with the next pick. Tough to see for Budgie but his first player just didn’t pan out hopefully he is enjoying his newest player.

12. Jets D Gary Grease @FlappyGiraffe  TPE: 1760
Stats: 400 GP | 37 G | 160 A | 197 P | +8 | 0.49 PPG

With the very next pick the Jets selected their franchise defenseman for the next decade plus, and future Head GM. Grease has been one of the the league’s best defensive defenseman and has been more involved offensively in recent seasons. A winner of the Aidan Richan and a Turd Ferguson, he also has the S44 Challenge Cup to his name.

13. Dragons D Ostap Maksimov @Ohtaay  TPE: 1110
Stats: 300 GP | 52 G | 128 A | 180 P | +3 | 0.51 PPG

Maksimov is another of the very solid defenseman in this class, as he has managed to be better than a point every other game over his career so far. One of those foundational pieces teams look to get in and keep for their careers as they do what is needed to win. Two cups and multiple finals appearances later, I think Calgary are fine with how this pick worked out for them.

14. Wolfpack D Patrick Brumm Jr. @tweedlebrumm  TPE: 480
Stats: 349 GP | 18 G | 50 A | 68 P | +9 | 0.19 PPG

Late first that flopped. Third pairing fodder that many wish could have been more.

Alright so from now on I will just do the interesting picks (whether do to how well they have done or for other reasons)

15. Stampede W Viktor Marius @karey TPE: 1791
Stats: 390 GP | 149 G | 153 A | 302 P | +47 | 0.77 PPG

I would like to direct everyone to Waters comment in the draft thread. This is something that has been said about this draft to no end. How the hell does karey fall in this class I’ll never know. Marius is one of the best players on a stacked Stampede team now and has a Richan, Dar, and Khan to his name with helping Buffalo to their first Challenge Cup in S46. Also just a great person. (make me a sig pls you beautiful bitch)

16. Riot (lul) W DeMaricus Smyth @Blastmeaway  TPE: 1737
Stats: 350 GP | 120 G | 153 A | 273 P | +76 | 0.78 PPG

Smyth was the first of three straight second round picks for the then Seattle Riot, and was one of the two extremely successful picks, but of course said success did not occur with the Seattle Riot, because Seattle couldn’t have nice things. Smyth is coming off his best ever season where he led the league in points and goals, and will be in contention for a bunch of awards this awards season. He was another of the S45 Blizzard team that won the Challenge Cup. He’s also the head updater for the site so don’t fucks with him.

17. Riot (yeah again) W Jacob Dorty @AssPancakes  TPE: 557
Current Status: Retired
Stats: N/A

Oh the ballad of AssPancakes. Some of the best and dumbest drama to grace the site in recent seasons. Demands to get drafted to Kelowna, demands to get traded from Kelowna, has random outbursts at teammates to the point where he gets traded for basically nothing from Seattle to finally admitting that Mr.Shit was him. If you would like the full story I will direct you to this post by @nour : http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=87307

18. Riot (anotha one) D Liam O'Callaghan @Dangles13  TPE: 1493
Current Team: Renegades
Stats: 400 GP | 66 G | 202 A | 268 P | +21 | 0.67 PPG

Seattle hit two home runs with three second round picks, the problem is those home runs landed in other stadiums and never came back. Honestly Dangles falling this far is kinda baffling, he’s a great guy from all my interactions with him and his player is now one of the best two-way defenseman in the league. In S40, he won the Jesster Award for best rookie, and in S43 Dangles won the McKiel for best coach.

19. Renegades W Paddy O'Sullivan @TML99  TPE: 735
Current Team: Dragons
Stats: 300 GP | 38 G | 78 A | 116 P | -8 | 0.39 PPG

A solid middle 6 forward for his career so far, TML is better known as one of the longest reigning SMJHL GMs, and most successful to boot, so his player doesn’t reflect his stature on the site.

21. Panthers D James Johnson @Mongoose87  TPE: 914
Stats: 350 GP | 44 G | 153 A | 197 P | +18 | 0.56 PPG

Getting later into the second round now and LA managed to pick up a solid top 4 level defenseman. Johnson has been an ever presence in the LA D core since being drafted and has been one of the very solid players from this draft.

26. Riot C Brock Becker @GrilledTwinkiez  TPE: 1008
Current Status: Retired
Stats: 300 GP | 54 G | 68 A | 122 P | -37 | 0.41 PPG

Man imagine the team Seattle could have had if they had kept O’Callaghan, Smyth, and Becker all on the same team, but alas it wasn’t meant to be. Becker had a solid career before hanging up the skates after last season. Becker was another part of the S46 Buffalo Stampede Challenge Cup winning team.

30. Panthers D Jon Toner @JT3  TPE: 1483
Stats: 300 GP | 49 G | 134 A | 183 P | -37 | 0.61 PPG

After the Gronkjaer pick, LA managed to draft two very solid defenseman for the future and one has turned into the backbone of their defense for a decade in Toner. JT3 has also stepped into the Co-GM spot in LA.

32. Blizzard G Cedric Moreau @treant  TPE: 707
Current Team: Jets
Stats: 249 GP | 95 W | 126 L | 27 OTL | .905 SVP | 3.28 GAA

The Blizz selected Moreau in the early 3rd round of this draft and he’s been an alright goalie in his career. A fringe starter who just doesn’t have the consistency to be a full time starter at the SHL level. He’s been a traveler too as he is one his 4th team of his career.

34. pride G Chris Partridge @Mackkz  TPE: 1270
Stats: 314 GP | 119 W | 165 L | 30 OTL | .902 SVP | 3.26 GAA

Taking over for Kirkstone was never gonna be an easy task, only made harder by the Pride’s struggles during his time their, but loyalty from Partridge looks like it may pay off as he gets into his prime years before age starts to catch him. The Pride look ready to mount a real challenge in the West in the upcoming seasons and now he may have the defense in front of him to shine.

38. Panthers W Geoff Higgins @DanbyRem  TPE: 849
Stats: 350 GP | 41 G | 44 A | 85 P | -55 | 0.24 PPG

While Higgans’ stats don’t standout, he’s been one of the solid middle 6 players that every team needs to eat up ice time and that won’t complain about their role. Also birb is a just a great guy to have in a LR and is the current GM for Lethbridge.

39. Blizzard C Yannick Berger @to12143  TPE: 852
Current Team: Rage
Stats: 350 GP | 75 G | 147 A | 222 P | -35 | 0.63 PPG

Another in a streak of late, but solid picks, we have the Blizzard taking Yannick Berger. Berger ended up getting traded to the Rage early on as a prospect, but has carved out a good career in Manhattan. Well over a point every other game, he’s been key to their resurgence in recent years.

40. Stars C Carter Manning @CDub2  TPE: 753
Stats: 350 GP | 65 G | 74 A | 139 P | -3 | 0.46 PPG

Another middle 6/3rd liner that teams need, Manning has been a solid but not exciting player in his career so far. Hard to complain about a player taken in the late 3rd round who gives you a solid six or so seasons of production before regressing.

42. Stars C Anders Christiansen @NorwegianDemon  TPE: 1431
Stats: 300 GP | 83 G | 139 A | 222 P | +23 | 0.74 PPG

If you look in a dictionary, you’ll see this pick next to the definition of a steal. Last pick of the third round, and the Stars select Christiansen who has turned into one of the best two-way forwards in the league in recent seasons. One of the best point per game averages in the class taken at 42nd overall. Doesn’t get much better than that.

47. Steelhawks W Romualds Loks @rieksts  TPE: 947
Current Team: syndicate
Stats: 350 GP | 101 G | 107 A | 208 P | -30 | 0.59 PPG

Another great pick for the value and with over a 100 goals in his career so far Loks looks like one of the best picks in this draft when you consider where he was picked in the 4th round. He has been on four different teams in his career but he has been a solid player wherever he has been.

48. Stars D Ti-Guy Emond @gaby  TPE: 1141
Current Team: Chiefs
Stats: 350 GP | 10 G | 102 A | 112 P | -37 | 0.32 PPG

The final of the picks for the Stars in this draft, Emond has turned into another solid defensive defenseman in the league today. Getting a 1k+ defenseman this late in a draft is always a great pick. Expect to see a lot of Emond in this coming year for Minny.

53. Chiefs G Sebastien Primeau @MrPrime  TPE: 1104
Stats: 264 GP | 132 W | 115 L | 17 OTL | .901 SVP | 3.06 GAA

The final pick I will go over is another steal, but this time in net. Primeau has turned into one of the league’s constants in net with the Chiefs in recent years. With the suspension of Casimir Stevens and his recent lack of activity, Primeau is looking like he will have to be the answer in net for a few more years for Minnesota.

And that was the S39 Draft class in a nutshell. In total we had 17 players hit 1k TPE with a few more able to hit it before regression next season. We have numerous GMs across the league, HO members, department heads, and graphic gods. I genuinely think this will go down as one of the best drafts that the league has seen in recent years with many of us reaching the peaks of our career right now. It’ll be interesting to see where everyone goes from here with their careers and who lasts the longest before hanging up the skates. If anyone wants to see all of this info compiled into a prettyish spreadsheet then I will drop a link here.

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

Best draft class. I was shit tho

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, Ragnarr, and sulo for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

Fuck sakes @Copenhagen :(

[Image: NiclasWastlund26.gif]
#40 Niclas Wastlund - W - VANCOUVER WHALERS Whalers / MINNESOTA MONARCHS Monarchs
[Image: vlPUU9v.png][Image: ammBPLt.png][Image: rnZeas5.png][Image: V9MXpXR.png]

06-08-2019, 03:11 PMWasty Wrote: Fuck sakes @Copenhagen :(
I miss him too. Such a good dude. ):

[Image: giphy.gif]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
ShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUk
Player Page || Update Page

You guys killed it with the rest of your picks tbf. I think most people take Cope at two there without being able to see the future

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

06-08-2019, 03:00 PMml002 Wrote: 19. Renegades W Paddy O'Sullivan @TML99  TPE: 735
Current Team: Dragons
Stats: 300 GP | 38 G | 78 A | 116 P | -8 | 0.39 PPG

so his player doesn’t reflect his stature on the site.

They’re gonna put that on his tombstone

@TML99

Shout out to ml002, schultzy, slashacm, tedward!
[Image: blastmeaway.gif]

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.
[Image: Capture21.PNG?width=400&height=90]

Thanks @ml002
Its crazy to think we are nearing regression already

06-08-2019, 03:14 PMml002 Wrote:

You guys killed it with the rest of your picks tbf. I think most people take Cope at two there without being able to see the future
Yeah it just hurts cause I hated to lose him as a member and teammate but then looking back it’s such a brutal pick lol.

[Image: NiclasWastlund26.gif]
#40 Niclas Wastlund - W - VANCOUVER WHALERS Whalers / MINNESOTA MONARCHS Monarchs
[Image: vlPUU9v.png][Image: ammBPLt.png][Image: rnZeas5.png][Image: V9MXpXR.png]

06-08-2019, 03:28 PMWasty Wrote:
06-08-2019, 03:14 PMml002 Wrote: You guys killed it with the rest of your picks tbf. I think most people take Cope at two there without being able to see the future
Yeah it just hurts cause I hated to lose him as a member and teammate but then looking back it’s such a brutal pick lol.
Yeah, but like @ml002 said, no one can fault you for that selection. 90% of the GM's, if not more would have made that same selection. Cope was such a great member.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
ShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUk
Player Page || Update Page

notice how toronto fucking killed this draft

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

06-08-2019, 04:26 PMbluesfan55 Wrote: notice how toronto fucking killed this draft

So did NOLA and they weren’t even a team yet.

Shout out to ml002, schultzy, slashacm, tedward!
[Image: blastmeaway.gif]

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.
[Image: Capture21.PNG?width=400&height=90]

I did not understand this draft at all. Bunch of dumb GMs making Samee look sorta ok.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

06-08-2019, 06:12 PMDangles13 Wrote: I did not understand this draft at all. Bunch of dumb GMs making Samee look sorta ok.
He drafted AssPancakes

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

06-08-2019, 04:26 PMbluesfan55 Wrote: notice how toronto fucking killed this draft
I was going to be snarky and say having 3 firsts helped, but seeing how they didn't whiff and got Christiansen late.. yeah you're right

06-08-2019, 06:32 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
06-08-2019, 06:12 PMDangles13 Wrote: I did not understand this draft at all. Bunch of dumb GMs making Samee look sorta ok.
He drafted AssPancakes

Hey, he got more TPE than the 2nd overall pick and provided the league with minutes of entertainment.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]