Create Account

Interview with Alexei Rykov

(1,165 words. Ready to grade. First Article bonus)

Interviewer: Today we have an interview with Alexei Rykov, left wing and rookie of the Montreal Militia.  Alexei, it is good to meet you and if you could give us a short introduction of yourself that would be great.

Rykov: It is good to meet you as well. Hi, I’m Alexei Rykov of St. Petersburg, Russia and a member of the Montreal Militia. I have been playing hockey since I was five and do not see that changing anytime soon.

Interviewer: So, Alexei let’s talk about your recent game against the Vancouver Whalers. In the first period alone, you scored two goals with one being on the powerplay and also securing the game-winning goal. That is a pretty impressive play from a young rookie. How do you feel about the game?

Rykov: It was…ok. I mean I am glad I could play so well and showcase my talents, but I am sure I will hear from my father about the game. He won’t be pleased.

Interviewer: Surely you are joking? Why would he be upset?

Rykov: Two goals and no assists. He is going to complain that I am not playing as a team…umm as a team player as you say. I think that is the big difference in the North American game and how the Russians play it is much more about passing the puck and maneuver than the North American game which is much more physical and about getting the puck on the net much more quickly. It is different…not bad.

Interviewer: Still I think he will take some pride in it. Speaking of that how are you finding your time in North America, specifically Montreal? Is it far different from what you expected in regard to culture?

Rykov: He will complain, and he is right. My mother will enjoy it though. North America especially Canada is much more different than what I expected in many ways. I did not expect to need French occasionally, to be honest. I mean I knew French was spoken but what I learned in secondary school isn’t up to conversational standards in comparison to English. I do enjoy it but honestly, people are a bit too friendly that at times I feel they are far too…umm forward. Extremely polite for the most part but exceptionally forward we are not so…uh talkative in Russia. We do not have what you call small talk in Russia I mean you might say something in passing like, “Fucking shitty weather.” Can I say fucking?

Interviewer: Sure, we can bleep it out later.

Rykov: Like you can complain about something or other, but you really don’t discuss things with strangers or people you barely know in such a manner as North Americans do. Russians are similar to Germans in that regard maybe it is some kind of European thing. I don’t know. I like people but honestly, I find it slow to warm and I doubt I will ever like small talk.

Interviewer: Does that like of small talk cause issues in the locker room?

Rykov: Maybe initially, and it still might with some people but honestly in the locker room and on the ice, I am much more myself. I think it is easier to joke and be passionate about doing something I enjoy. When I need to focus, I can focus but honestly, I really enjoy the team and have nothing but good things to say about everyone.

Interviewer: Have you found management to be as enjoyable or as accessible as your teammates?

Rykov: Probably more so. I think I find it easier to approach management as when I need to talk to them, I have a specific goal or task I am looking to complete. I have gotten lots of important and useful feedback on any issue that crops up. I know that if I need anything or need to bounce something off someone they will be there. A lot different than my time in Russia I will say. We did not have such open-door policies in youth hockey it was all about drills, and obeying commands and play changes or line changes in rapid succession. There was no room for the individual it was either work hard and listen or get out of the way. So, in a lot of ways, this system here fosters much better feedback and lets me explore and discuss options that would have not likely been the case in many MHL teams.

Interviewer: Speaking of Russia how did you feel about SKA’s, your hometown team’s performance this last season?

Rykov: I love SKA and having been involved in their youth program and gone to so many games over the year it was a great season. I mean we beat some really competitive teams to get to the semi-finals but unfortunately, we had to lose to CSKA our biggest rival. It kind of stings and to lose it to an Army Derby and have CSKA then go on to claim not only the Continental Cup but the Gagarin was salt added to the wound. I think I would have preferred a comet fall on the rink instead. At least we destroyed Sochi those Black Sea bums.

Interviewer: How do fans in North American compare to Russia?

Rykov: You have real fanatics on both sides for sure. There is probably an equal amount of plastics on both sides of the ocean though the focus in North America is definitely focused on hockey. You guys do not have the cheerleaders and the dancing girls and stuff. I mean I enjoyed it, but it was definitely a distraction from the game itself even if it was entertaining for entirely different reasons.

Interviewer: So, what do you see for yourself in the future? Any hopes or aspirations?

Rykov: At this point, I can merely focus on the current situation. What I see in the future is to continue to improve and be an asset for the team. Anything else does not matter at this point. I need to pull my weight and continue to hammer goals into the net and make plays happen. Anything else is unacceptable and that is all I can bring is a constant drive to improve and attempt to make the best of any situation I encounter.

Interviewer: Before we go what kinds of things do you like to do to relax?

Rykov: I like to read. I also enjoy going out with my mates and teammates for a drink and long talks. Very Russian, very cliché. I know but still, I enjoy simple things whether it is getting a good book and some tea or enjoying the company of people I like spending time with. Simple is best and it works for me.

Interviewer: Alexei thanks again for sitting down with us and I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

Rykov: Thank you for talking with me and I hope I can put on more displays for everyone on the ice.

[Image: 59270_s.gif]

[Image: jcjcF7J.png]  [Image: nHs4nH0.png]